Tryamkin’s Top 125 2018 December Draft Rankings

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Even with McBain being one of my favourites I agree #9 is too high.
He’s 15-31. Don’t put much stock in HP, they’re trying to sell things.
Bob McKenzie, Craig Button are closer to the people who know and are a way better resource. I feel Tkachuk can improve his skating. He competes, I agree with that.

I don’t for a minute believe he’s going to be drafted that high, I’m realistic in that fact. My rankings as a prospect and my rankings on where they’ll be drafted/where I’d draft them aren’t the same thing.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Adam Boqvist - not sure size is as much an issue in the NHL these days, so I wouldn't hold that against him too much. I think he'll be an ace in the pros.
Brady T - hard to resist his size and pedigree... looked solid against the Russians. If he can handle the speed of the Swedes tomorrow he's gold.
Jack McBain at #9! - you are skipping over at least thirty or so other guys preferred by the NHL's Central Scouting, as well as HockeyProspect, etc! At 6'4" he's got size, but will his size and talent potential transfer to better results in the OJHL to change how scouts and GMs rank him? I think he stays dropped - say #31 to 39... unless a GM goes rogue!
Where do you place Farabee, btw? HockeyProspect has him #8.

I like Boqvist it’s just a concern that you have to look at, even with the way the game is going small defenceman will struggle to some degree, it’s just does that upside outweigh the risk? In this case I think it does.

McBain I know is not going to go this high in the draft, heck if I was a GM I wouldn’t take him this high because my job would be on the line. He’s probably going to be a mid to late first, I’m not concerned as much with where he is right now but where I think he’s going to be 10 years down the road. You might have to wait a little bit to get the player you want him to become but I think he can be that good of a player. Only time will tell obviously but I believe in his potential. For me I can take the risk on his ranking because my job isn’t on the line, if a GM does that and makes the pick and he busts, then they lose their job.

I don’t have Farabee’s exact ranking right this second but I do know that he’s within the next couple of picks.

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
I don’t for a minute believe he’s going to be drafted that high, I’m realistic in that fact. My rankings as a prospect and my rankings on where they’ll be drafted/where I’d draft them aren’t the same thing.

Is there a thread on this board where people actually post two such lists for first round?

One list of where they believe prospects should rank, and then one where they show how the draft will actually go?
That's interesting to me, as it not only shows the power of perspective, but also how teams may have to play out the draft themselves. How the other 30 teams will actually draft differs from how players are ranked, I guess, especially if some teams allow other variables besides BPA to affect their decision-making. If everyone just followed Central Scouting, then draft day would be a no-brainer exercise!

I remember Alexandre Daigle - drafted first to Ottawa in part due to marketing potential (he's French Canadian), and Mark Jankowski with the Flames who surprised just about everyone when he was drafted 20th overall. These kinds of picks can screw up other teams' expectations on draft day, I bet.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
McBain is a first rounder (mid-late) on almost every list with the exception of HP which have him very early second.
He will have to have a good 2nd half and WC u18, but it’s hardly going “rogue” to take him in the first. Like I said LA, Toronto or columbus will take him, not ruling out Flyers 2nd pick in first round.
He’s a pro.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Is there a thread on this board where people actually post two such lists for first round?

One list of where they believe prospects should rank, and then one where they show how the draft will actually go?
That's interesting to me, as it not only shows the power of perspective, but also how teams may have to play out the draft themselves. How the other 30 teams will actually draft differs from how players are ranked, I guess, especially if some teams allow other variables besides BPA to affect their decision-making. If everyone just followed Central Scouting, then draft day would be a no-brainer exercise!

I remember Alexandre Daigle - drafted first to Ottawa in part due to marketing potential (he's French Canadian), and Mark Jankowski with the Flames who surprised just about everyone when he was drafted 20th overall. These kinds of picks can screw up other teams' expectations on draft day, I bet.

I don’t know if such a thread exists but I find a lot of time that people have a tough time distinguishing between the 2. Craig Button’s lists are what his personal rankings are for the players in say 10 years, when their careers are going. The list Bob McKenzie compiles is basically a survey of scouts, that’s ranking the players for where they expect they’ll be drafted this season. A lot of it ties into how they project but it’s not a pure ranking on how good they think they’ll become as pros.

My rankings are where I think a player will be in his career, my mock drafts are how I think the draft will shake out on draft day. I’m guessing this is similar for a lot of other posters but I find it’s not quite often too. They think the two are interchangeable.

You know if I have the 5th pick and the guy I like the best is there but he’s not expected to go until the 2nd, I’m not going to pick him at 5. You’re always trying to maximize the value of those draft picks, I’m going to take the guy that I have most closely ranked to 5th overall and get the player I rated higher closer to his draft value.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015

I do that with my annual mock draft though I'm not very good at

a) identifying talent
b) predicting what teams are going to do

But I do like to compare myself to the teams after a few years go by

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
Even with McBain being one of my favourites I agree #9 is too high.
He’s 15-31. Don’t put much stock in HP, they’re trying to sell things.
Bob McKenzie, Craig Button are closer to the people who know and are a way better resource. I feel Tkachuk can improve his skating. He competes, I agree with that.

If you ever see Bob or Craig in a rink, I'd invite you to ask them if I know "the people who know". I'm pretty confident in what their answers will be.

Reactions: Tryamkin

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
If you ever see Bob or Craig in a rink, I'd invite you to ask them if I know "the people who know". I'm pretty confident in what their answers will be.

Don't lower yourself Mark...no need to reply to some fools..

You do a great job, enjoy your reads and differ on many as well..

You provide great input for us all to have a nice free read on...thanks for what you guys do.

Reactions: Tryamkin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad