Tryamkin’s Top 125 2018 December Draft Rankings

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I am curious as to why you think he will end up being a top ten player from this class when NHL Scouting and Hockey Prospects put him in second or third round. What is it that you see that convinces you that McBain is being under-valued?
His fall is hard not to notice as he is the biggest significant drop this month in top-end draft projections, is he not? Even more than Merkley and other guys who are under-performing. Edwards at Hockey Prospect says that all the NHL scouts are down on him...
It was mostly his lacklustre performances in the OJHL for me that did him in. He’s still a good talent, but after this season I’ve lost a bit of the polish on him that he had before for me. He’s dropping, but not out of the first round,

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Will be a first rounder.
Great Hlinka, led WJAC in scoring, will be on U18 WC team.
Leafs, LA or Columbus will take him and be very happy.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Will be a first rounder.
Great Hlinka, led WJAC in scoring, will be on U18 WC team.
Leafs, LA or Columbus will take him and be very happy.
He didn’t face very tough competition in the WJAC. He was the best player there, anything less would’ve been very sad.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
i want morrr!! Seriously, seems like THE perfect year to tank, accumulate as many picks and build a winning team.
Good thing my habs are on track for a top 5 pick and have 4 top 60 picks in this draft. We'll prob finish with way more with trades of pacs, byron, petry, gally and so on. Its our only hope for now lol.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
i want morrr!! Seriously, seems like THE perfect year to tank, accumulate as many picks and build a winning team.
Good thing my habs are on track for a top 5 pick and have 4 top 60 picks in this draft. We'll prob finish with way more with trades of pacs, byron, petry, gally and so on. Its our only hope for now lol.
Yeah man, habs should get another gem this year. As for more rankings, they’re coming soon!

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
McBain has slipped in OJHL play. He wasn't great at the WJAC. He had a good Hlinka, but I don't think he's rode that momentum into the year.

It will be interesting to see how the WJC shakes things up in general. Tkachuk has played great, so has Zadina. Svechnikov looked good in his limited ice-time (which I don't think can be held against him). Dahlin has pretty much cemented going 1OA. He's not perfect but he's fine defensively while being elusive and creative on offense with a very fluid game. The only thing's he really lacks is an elite shot and elite explosiveness (although his edgework and hands combine to make an incredibly fluid player).

The only guys whose stocks I would think have been hurt by the WJC of top prospects is Hughes and Kupari. I highly doubt he can become a bonafide number 1 in the NHL. But, he has all the tools to realistically project as a player like Gostisbehere and Shattenkirk, and if you think that is a realistic area from him to hit, he's still a top 10 pick. Even if you believe he will need to be sheltered as a #4 or #5 at 5v5 but can be a top 5 to 10 PP QB in the league (Which Gostisbehere and Shattenkirk are). Kupari's stock is only hurt if you went in thinking he was a clear lottery pick and in the top 10.

Lundestrom had a good game to today, but has mostly just held his ground as a 15 to 30 prospect (this far before a draft, non-top 10 picks can have fairly wide ranges).

Guys like Kral emerged but I don't think made himself a Day 1 guy quite yet. None of the Swiss guys really stepped up to the extent they cemented themselves in round 1 (Eggenberger, Gross, and Kurashev). Lauko remains a fringe late 1st, to early-mid 2nd.

I assume we get new rankings from Button pretty quickly after the WJC. I know Pronman will do his updated drafted 100 shortly after, and then probably put out a new draft ranking around the Top Prospects Game. Bob seems to drop his list the week of the Top Prospects Game.

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
McBain has slipped in OJHL play. He wasn't great at the WJAC. He had a good Hlinka, but I don't think he's rode that momentum into the year.

It will be interesting to see how the WJC shakes things up in general. Tkachuk has played great, so has Zadina. Svechnikov looked good in his limited ice-time (which I don't think can be held against him). Dahlin has pretty much cemented going 1OA. He's not perfect but he's fine defensively while being elusive and creative on offense with a very fluid game. The only thing's he really lacks is an elite shot and elite explosiveness (although his edgework and hands combine to make an incredibly fluid player).

The only guys whose stocks I would think have been hurt by the WJC of top prospects is Hughes and Kupari. I highly doubt he can become a bonafide number 1 in the NHL. But, he has all the tools to realistically project as a player like Gostisbehere and Shattenkirk, and if you think that is a realistic area from him to hit, he's still a top 10 pick. Even if you believe he will need to be sheltered as a #4 or #5 at 5v5 but can be a top 5 to 10 PP QB in the league (Which Gostisbehere and Shattenkirk are). Kupari's stock is only hurt if you went in thinking he was a clear lottery pick and in the top 10.

Lundestrom had a good game to today, but has mostly just held his ground as a 15 to 30 prospect (this far before a draft, non-top 10 picks can have fairly wide ranges).

Guys like Kral emerged but I don't think made himself a Day 1 guy quite yet. None of the Swiss guys really stepped up to the extent they cemented themselves in round 1 (Eggenberger, Gross, and Kurashev). Lauko remains a fringe late 1st, to early-mid 2nd.

I assume we get new rankings from Button pretty quickly after the WJC. I know Pronman will do his updated drafted 100 shortly after, and then probably put out a new draft ranking around the Top Prospects Game. Bob seems to drop his list the week of the Top Prospects Game.
The USA/Russia game showed Brady well again. However, the announcers were almost mesmerized by the awful Russian p.play!
Top 3 still Dahlin, Svechnikov and .... who do you think, post-WJC? Zadina? Boqvist? Bouchard?

My money is on Zadina.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
The USA/Russia game showed Brady well again. However, the announcers were almost mesmerized by the awful Russian p.play!
Top 3 still Dahlin, Svechnikov and .... who do you think, post-WJC? Zadina? Boqvist? Bouchard?

My money is on Zadina.
It seems pretty clear it's Zadina, though Tkachuk is knocking on that top 5 door.

rickardr

Oct 10, 2016
Sweden

My money is on Zadina.
I'll put my money on Zadina aswell

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Zadina showed he is pure offense in this tourny and should go #2. I have to say Svechnikov was a disappointment, not used a ton, but didn’t deserve it. Kupari looked lost and lost a lot of ground in rankings. Hughes was good enough, not exceptional, but used a lot and faired well.
Tkachuk.... I really watched him. Maybe too critical, but he cannot skate. He looks like he moves too slowly, stays up by the opposition blue line, and just goes to the net. He is effective, along boards, he is a pain in front of net, but still lacks top 5 skill. Hughes, tkachuk, Zadina....all late birthdays. Should be noted and not just sloughed off. Imagine if all the other 2000’s had another year.

AirJordan

May 23, 2013
Zadina showed he is pure offense in this tourny and should go #2. I have to say Svechnikov was a disappointment, not used a ton, but didn’t deserve it.

Sorry for ot, but this is not true at all. Svech best game was probably against the swiss team in which he generate something on every single shift. he was the strongest russian player out there an could have had easily 3,4 points. That with zero pp time and a total of 10:56 toi. and what was the reward? freaking 9:48 toi against Belarus... again with 2 points and again probably the best player on the ice. this was nothing about he didn't deserve it. actually he did and more than others.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Zadina showed he is pure offense in this tourny and should go #2. I have to say Svechnikov was a disappointment, not used a ton, but didn’t deserve it. Kupari looked lost and lost a lot of ground in rankings. Hughes was good enough, not exceptional, but used a lot and faired well.
Tkachuk.... I really watched him. Maybe too critical, but he cannot skate. He looks like he moves too slowly, stays up by the opposition blue line, and just goes to the net. He is effective, along boards, he is a pain in front of net, but still lacks top 5 skill. Hughes, tkachuk, Zadina....all late birthdays. Should be noted and not just sloughed off. Imagine if all the other 2000’s had another year.
You are very right about the late birthday issue.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
On that note. Can someone explain the late birthday rule?
Is it because the NHL needs to have players actually 18 yrs of age if they are to play in year one for some sort of insurance purposes?

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Sorry for ot, but this is not true at all. Svech best game was probably against the swiss team in which he generate something on every single shift. he was the strongest russian player out there an could have had easily 3,4 points. That with zero pp time and a total of 10:56 toi. and what was the reward? freaking 9:48 toi against Belarus... again with 2 points and again probably the best player on the ice. this was nothing about he didn't deserve it. actually he did and more than others.
Yeah I agree here. Svechnikov was sheltered heavily the whole tournament. That wasn’t a surprise, it was common knowledge that was made clear and obvious before the tournament started.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada

My money is on Zadina.
Zadina is clear and away 3rd. I’ve had him at 3 since August. I think the gap to Svechnikov is closer than the gap to Boqvist/Hughes/etc at 4.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
I thought Kupari looked fairly good in his limited time on ice. Of course he wasn't going to be the difference maker for that team, but he did create several good chances and showed some nice skills. I'm expecting a good U18 showing from him.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
In no way trying to hijack your thread, just want to chuck in a little ranking of my own.

1- Rasmus Dahlin: Nothing needs to be said about him, everyone knows what he is and what he brings. Franchise changing defenceman right here.

2- Andrei Svechnikov: Did about as much as you could expect on Russia as an underage player, elite offensive winger is what I see.

3- Filip Zadina: Consistently the best player on the ice in Halifax on any team that’s playing, just phenomenal, potential first line winger.

4- Adam Boqvist: Great offensively, needs a lot of work in his own end. His size is a concern and he’s probably a very boom or bust type player but I’d roll the dice on him.

5- Brady Tkachuk: I don’t think he has elite offensive upside but I believe he can play on any line, in any role, he’s the perfect complimentary player. I see a 2nd line LW when I watch him, I’d take him on my team any day. Upside isn’t the highest but he’s a safe bet to reach his. I’m a believer.

6- Noah Dobson: Whenever I watch him, he impresses. Has a lot offensive upside, he’s still maturing physically and has a lot of filling out to do. I think he’s got huge upside, really really like his game. I think he’s a safe bet to be an NHL player in some capacity and his potential is sky high. He’s been a constant riser all season.

7- Oliver Wahlstrom: I think he’s going to be more of a winger at the next level, has some great offensive potential, he’s a real smart player. Size isn’t an issue, I don’t see many faults in his game really. I could see him rising up my board soon.

8- Quinn Hughes: Offensively he’s a great player, defence like most young offensive defenceman, needs a lot of work. That can be ironed out but I’m not sure how much that can be truly improved given his size. He’s fallen a bit for me since the start of the year but its not necessarily because he’s been bad, just other players have shown me more.

9- Jack McBain: This is going to be controversial but I truly believe he’s going to be a top 6 C in the NHL. His skating really needs to improve but I don’t see that holding him back, it can easily be improved if he puts in the work. He’s got a huge frame, once he fills out he’s going to be a handful. He always seems to be competing hard on the ice, has good goal scoring and playmaking ability, I think he’s smart and will be a good two-way player. When I watch him I just think he oozes potential. Hence my ranking of him.

10- Ty Smith: Great at both ends of the ice, he’s right up there with the best defenders in this draft. Jack of all trades, great player.

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
In no way trying to hijack your thread, just want to chuck in a little ranking of my own.

1- Rasmus Dahlin: Nothing needs to be said about him, everyone knows what he is and what he brings. Franchise changing defenceman right here.

2- Andrei Svechnikov: Did about as much as you could expect on Russia as an underage player, elite offensive winger is what I see.

3- Filip Zadina: Consistently the best player on the ice in Halifax on any team that’s playing, just phenomenal, potential first line winger.

4- Adam Boqvist: Great offensively, needs a lot of work in his own end. His size is a concern and he’s probably a very boom or bust type player but I’d roll the dice on him.

5- Brady Tkachuk: I don’t think he has elite offensive upside but I believe he can play on any line, in any role, he’s the perfect complimentary player. I see a 2nd line LW when I watch him, I’d take him on my team any day. Upside isn’t the highest but he’s a safe bet to reach his. I’m a believer.

6- Noah Dobson: Whenever I watch him, he impresses. Has a lot offensive upside, he’s still maturing physically and has a lot of filling out to do. I think he’s got huge upside, really really like his game. I think he’s a safe bet to be an NHL player in some capacity and his potential is sky high. He’s been a constant riser all season.

7- Oliver Wahlstrom: I think he’s going to be more of a winger at the next level, has some great offensive potential, he’s a real smart player. Size isn’t an issue, I don’t see many faults in his game really. I could see him rising up my board soon.

8- Quinn Hughes: Offensively he’s a great player, defence like most young offensive defenceman, needs a lot of work. That can be ironed out but I’m not sure how much that can be truly improved given his size. He’s fallen a bit for me since the start of the year but its not necessarily because he’s been bad, just other players have shown me more.

9- Jack McBain: This is going to be controversial but I truly believe he’s going to be a top 6 C in the NHL. His skating really needs to improve but I don’t see that holding him back, it can easily be improved if he puts in the work. He’s got a huge frame, once he fills out he’s going to be a handful. He always seems to be competing hard on the ice, has good goal scoring and playmaking ability, I think he’s smart and will be a good two-way player. When I watch him I just think he oozes potential. Hence my ranking of him.

10- Ty Smith: Great at both ends of the ice, he’s right up there with the best defenders in this draft. Jack of all trades, great player.

Adam Boqvist - not sure size is as much an issue in the NHL these days, so I wouldn't hold that against him too much. I think he'll be an ace in the pros.
Brady T - hard to resist his size and pedigree... looked solid against the Russians. If he can handle the speed of the Swedes tomorrow he's gold.
Jack McBain at #9! - you are skipping over at least thirty or so other guys preferred by the NHL's Central Scouting, as well as HockeyProspect, etc! At 6'4" he's got size, but will his size and talent potential transfer to better results in the OJHL to change how scouts and GMs rank him? I think he stays dropped - say #31 to 39... unless a GM goes rogue!
Where do you place Farabee, btw? HockeyProspect has him #8.

Last edited:

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
Tkachuk.... I really watched him. Maybe too critical, but he cannot skate. He looks like he moves too slowly, stays up by the opposition blue line, and just goes to the net. He is effective, along boards, he is a pain in front of net, but still lacks top 5 skill.

Yah, I think you are too critical - can't he improve his skating enough with more focused training?

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Even with McBain being one of my favourites I agree #9 is too high.
He’s 15-31. Don’t put much stock in HP, they’re trying to sell things.
Bob McKenzie, Craig Button are closer to the people who know and are a way better resource. I feel Tkachuk can improve his skating. He competes, I agree with that.

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
Even with McBain being one of my favourites I agree #9 is too high.
He’s 15-31. Don’t put much stock in HP, they’re trying to sell things.
Bob McKenzie, Craig Button are closer to the people who know and are a way better resource.

How much stock do hockey-savvy people put in NHL Central Scouting though? (I'm not very hockey-savvy myself, but I'm interested in hearing from or about those who are...). The draft pool at work is coming soon enough, hehheh - plus, as a fan of the Leafs, I'd like to get an idea of who they are considering for the first couple rounds.

Last edited:

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Not one NHL team will use CS.
They have their own staff.
I am not even sure why it survives

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad