Proposal: Trouba to Toronto

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Lol its funny, I just posted on the Leafs board about targeting one of the Jets RD defenseman come trade deadline because they have this kid named Poolman they like. But I also mentioned that Trouba will be close to untouchable and that any trade will likely require either Marner/Nylander.

So, My target was Tyler Myers.

Jets fans, just asking out loud, to see whether or not Myers might potentially be available for the right price and what it would take?

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Lol its funny, I just posted on the Leafs board about targeting one of the Jets RD defenseman come trade deadline because they have this kid named Poolman they like. But I also mentioned that Trouba will be close to untouchable and that any trade will likely require either Marner/Nylander.

Jets fans, just asking out loud, to see whether or not Myers might potentially be available for the right price and what it would take?
Myers+Lowry for Kadri+2nd

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg

While Myers is a more realistic target, none of our D will likely be traded unless we are in sell mode at the deadline. The price for Myers is difficult because of his injury history last season. If he plays most of the games and plays the way he normally does I can see him fetching a late 1st (or early 2nd) and a decent prospect. If not, his stock could plummet to just a 2nd or early 3rd.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
While I do not mind Trouba, We are NOT trading Conner Brown. The kid is way too good.

You never fail to disappoint RCS. Of course we trade Brown if Trouba is involved. Brown would definitely not be the main piece in the deal either. Those two players are in different stratospheres value wise and I'm a huge Connor Brown fan.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
That’s all he had? Wasn’t he playing with Matthews? either way he’s not a guy you want in your top 6, so therefore he’s a bottom 6 guy.

Last year Brown played mostly with Kadri, not Matthews. He is a guy that most Leafs fans want on their top 6 although the team doesn't have a top 6, but instead a top 9. This is what happens when you have crazy depth. A guy who registered 10 points in 13 games last year can't crack the lineup at all. Another guy who scored 3 goals in the last 8 games of the season (including the playoffs) including two of the most important of the season for the Leafs is in the minors. And a guy like Brown gets demoted down the lineup - for now. In the Leafs first two games 17 players got at least a point (up to 19 after tonight). 9 had at least points. As a comparison 7 Oilers got at least one point in Edmonton's first two games - 1 player had at least 3 points.

Brown, despite playing on the 4th line, still had two points tonight. He would be top 6 on most teams in the league.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
To Toronto: Trouba

To Winipeg: Brown + Dermott + 2018 1st

But before the trade happens the Leafs are given permission to ask if the money is right would he resign in Toronto

As a Leaf fan, I politely pass. Not a huge fan of Trouba and the way he played in the home opener against us wasn't exactly mind changing.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Mcdvaid played half a season and is not a goal scorer, Brown would not be anywhere near the top 6 in Edmonton he might have a place on the 4th line but nothing higher than that.

Oh, come on now. Not anywhere near the top 6?

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Last year Brown played mostly with Kadri, not Matthews. He is a guy that most Leafs fans want on their top 6 although the team doesn't have a top 6, but instead a top 9. This is what happens when you have crazy depth. A guy who registered 10 points in 13 games last year can't crack the lineup at all. Another guy who scored 3 goals in the last 8 games of the season (including the playoffs) including two of the most important of the season for the Leafs is in the minors. And a guy like Brown gets demoted down the lineup - for now. In the Leafs first two games 17 players got at least a point (up to 19 after tonight). 9 had at least points. As a comparison 7 Oilers got at least one point in Edmonton's first two games - 1 player had at least 3 points.

Brown, despite playing on the 4th line, still had two points tonight. He would be top 6 on most teams in the league.

I don’t think he’d be in anymore than 5-7 teams top 6. I like brown I really do, but I just don’t think he does any one thing good enough to be a top 6 player. He’s a really good diverse player that does a lot of things really well and I’d be thrilled to have him as a 3rd liner but not a top 6 player IMO.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Your right Trouba is as untouchable as your big three.....IE don't even ask about Trouba.

Poolman had an outstanding college career including winning defensive D of the year. He signed this past summer and looked great in preseason and just played tonight for an injured Buff and looked very good. Very good top 4 possibility

Myers has had no injury issues in preseason or three game in season. But teams will be nervous about his injury year last season until he puts together a long sample size of no injuries. If he remains largely injury free till TDL or summer he will return top 4 return, keeping in mind remaining term on contract. So decent return, but not a kings ransom. If he's injured multi times through year, Jets likely hold onto him to play on 3rd pairing b/c no sense trading him for nothing that helps the team.....plus we don't need cap space so don't think that either....we have over 7 million cap room right now.....so cap isn't an issue.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Matthews or bust. That is not changing anytime soon. We don't need your scraps.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Myers+Lowry for Kadri+2nd

Kadri is a definite no go. Many people wont admit it, but I consider Kadri just as untouchable as the Big 3 just because of what he means to this team and the different dynamic he brings to the team. He's just as important as the big 3.

I just dont think we would trade any key current Roster players for Myers, outside of Connor Carrick. As people have mentioned, there are still concerns about his health given his injury history.

We have an abundance of good prospects to go along with Picks, So I was thinking something along those lines.

WildWolfdog

Dec 4, 2008
Trouba has 3 less points than Brown last season playing 22 less games :laugh:

Fewer*

I don't know why some Leaf fans undervalue other teams' players - yet want them on our team regardless.

Trouba's cost would start at a Kapanen + 1st imo (and I'm sure Jets would want Liljegren - though the Leafs wouldn't trade him).

That being said Brown is pretty underrated himself.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
All he had? That is the equal that your beloved McDavid had in his rookie season, 20 goals.

No, Conner did not play the entire season with Matthews. Top 6 on the Oilers easily. No depth in Edmonton.

McDavid played 41 games his rookie year

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Fewer*

I don't know why some Leaf fans undervalue other teams' players - yet want them on our team regardless.

Trouba's cost would start at a Kapanen + 1st imo (and I'm sure Jets would want Liljegren - though the Leafs wouldn't trade him).

That being said Brown is pretty underrated himself.

KK, Brown are both decent top 9 players or will be in KK case......but neither of them are a centre piece as return for a young top pairing D like Trouba. Mid range 1st picks mean very little to us. Liljegren is a fine prospect, the Jets liked him at the draft.....but certainly not a blue chip can't miss top pairing D.....so wouldn't be a main piece in a return either. KK, Brown or Liljegren are all just thrown in's with a much bigger piece TBH as a return on Trouba.

I wish fans would just give up this fantasy of Trouba going to the Leafs.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Why is this allowed to be a topic. Seriously any topic involving legit top pair d men for spare parts should be closed immediately. I get it. Trade forum but could ppl try to be a bit realistic here?

Reactions: broinwhyteridge

Mar 26, 2010
Your opinion is bad, and you should feel bad. This is the second time I've told you to stop talking out of your behind. It's getting sad now, stop while you're behind.
Actually my post was fairly accurate. Just because you do not agree...does not make you right.

WildWolfdog

Dec 4, 2008
KK, Brown are both decent top 9 players or will be in KK case......but neither of them are a centre piece as return for a young top pairing D like Trouba. Mid range 1st picks mean very little to us. Liljegren is a fine prospect, the Jets liked him at the draft.....but certainly not a blue chip can't miss top pairing D.....so wouldn't be a main piece in a return either. KK, Brown or Liljegren are all just thrown in's with a much bigger piece TBH as a return on Trouba.

I wish fans would just give up this fantasy of Trouba going to the Leafs.

I can accept that both Kapanen and Brown are good top 9 players - however I'd go further and say they're both potentially good top 6 players. In today's NHL it's not just points which = top 6. Either way I'll agree that neither are main pieces for a Trouba trade.

That being said, I don't think Leafs can afford to trade core pieces for a Trouba right now.
- none of the big 3 or Kadri will be traded
- Jets wouldn't have interest in JVR or Bozak or Komarov (or 4th line players)
- we can't trade Reilly/Gardiner/Zaitsev

So it would have to be a combination of players in a package to get Trouba and that's a whole other discussion based on what Leafs can offer and what Jets want. Also, Trouba will not sign a cheap contract imo.

So in short, yeah I don't see a deal either.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Not in Edmonton

Would have finished tied for 5th in goals, 7th in points amongst forwards . Eberle is gone, Strome hasn't shown he's better than Brown. Maroon had a career year playing with McDavid, I would argue that Brown is better than him. Yaramoto is an unproven rookie....I think that he would make the Oilers top 6.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
Nothing you say is accurate.

Enjoy the basement for the next 10 years. Garbage team.

Plenty of what I say is accurate. You are even laughed at by your own Leaf fans over your baseless opinions and homer views. And I guess being a Leafs fan you would know what spending 10 years in the basement feels like.

Reactions: FlappyGiraffe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad