Value of: Trouba likely to ask for the moon on a new deal

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
He's going to ask for market value+.

Based on some of the things I've heard about his agent, it wouldn't surprise me to hear he starts by coming in over 10M AAV. I believe a previous GM likened negotiations with Overhardt to borderline extortion. I really don't envy Chevy, he's got one of the toughest jobs in the league as it is in our small market without having to deal with over the top agents.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
:laugh: Here we go....

Here we go what? I'm sure most people would take Klefbom at $4M for the next 5 years over Trouba and his $6-$7M long term contract. I think it's arguable who the better player is period even if contracts were equal.

As for RNH+Puljujarvi? No thanks, the Oilers don't need Trouba THAT bad. That deal doesn't make much sense for Winnipeg either. Don't even bother asking for Draisaitl.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Not going to participate in the pissing contest about players.

Asking Jets fans, what would you pay Trouba to stay in Winnipeg. If he has lofty goals for his salary, what would be the max the Jets could/would pay.

Seems to me if you have to overpay to keep him there, I think you do it. Trouba is a very good defenceman.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Asking Jets fans, what would you pay Trouba to stay in Winnipeg. If he has lofty goals for his salary, what would be the max the Jets could/would pay.

Seems to me if you have to overpay to keep him there, I think you do it. Trouba is a very good defenceman.

Market value for a D his age & skill.....6.5-7 million easy

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

Definitely comfortable with going as high as 8×7.5. After that, I'm a bit more skeptical, and I wouldn't give him 8x8, unless he absolutely dominates next year.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
idk why happening but it is

Jacob Trouba
elite comp mins 449 mins/60games, 49% Corsi, gf/60 2.80, ga/60 2.90
Played top competition this season, bled goals against them amongst the worst but also scored a lot amongst the best.

Oscar Klefbom
elite comp mins 480/82games, corsi 47%, gf/ 60 3.10, ga/60 2.00
played top competition this season and scored at a much better rate and gave up less goals at a much better rate(around league avg defensively for elite comp by dmen)

not the perfect or all the info required but it seems that klefbom was better last year, but this doesnt take into consideration partners and other stuff, all in all id say they are pretty close. Trouba played on a worse team with worse linemates.

Last edited:

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Spoken like someone that didn't watch much Klefbom last season.

He's an emerging stud #1 defenceman and you won't find many Oiler fans that would move him 1 for 1 for Trouba.

I'd say you are speaking like someone who didn't watch Trouba last season. I'm one of the bigger supporters of Klefbom on these forums to the point where a significant number of Oiler fans think I overrate him, but Trouba is clearly better.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Player vs. Player... I prefer Trouba over Klefbom, for sure, but when you factor in the contracts (or projected contracts), Klefbom becomes more important than acquiring Trouba.

If the Oilers want to keep both McDavid and Draisaitl, they can't afford Trouba. From the sounds of it, if Trouba is playing in Canada after this contract he is going to get paid or sign a very short term contract... in Winnipeg. The Oilers also are not going to give up cost controlled guys, as those are the guys that allow you to keep your core together. How often do teams against the cap (which the Oilers will be for years) trade away their higher end prospects??

The Oilers will have to accept Klefbom and Larsson as their top defensive pairing... which isn't terrible. Neither one is going to be a top 15 dman in the league but they will both be 16-45 ranked D (ceilings), compliment each other very well, are great team guys, Swedes rarely mind playing in Canada (the colder climate cities) and they are on great contracts for the team. We just need to solidify the bottom 4, which I think is very possible with Sekera, Nurse, Benning, Russell and then a few good prospects in Jones, Bear and Paigin.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Definitely comfortable with going as high as 8×7.5. After that, I'm a bit more skeptical, and I wouldn't give him 8x8, unless he absolutely dominates next year.

So the difference between 500,000 and you ship him out? I don't see any problem in paying Trouba 8 over 8. As you said this upcoming season will let us get a better grasp but either way Trouba is incredibly valuable to Winnipeg.

If he was asking for too much what do you even do? Do you look for a 1 to 1 defencemen trade? And if so who?

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015

My expectation is that he ends up getting $7.5 million but anything under $8 million is a good deal for the team.

The number could end up being even higher than that if repeats his 5v5 performance from last year and is on the #1 PP as well. He was 6th in the NHL in 5v5 P/60 while being one of the top defensive D-men, which is a rare combination. People are seriously sleeping on just how good he was last year because it takes the talking heads a while to cue into defensive play and offensively they mainly look at total points which usually means PP points.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'd say you are speaking like someone who didn't watch Trouba last season. I'm one of the bigger supporters of Klefbom on these forums to the point where a significant number of Oiler fans think I overrate him, but Trouba is clearly better.

I really don't see how. Read the post directly above yours, he bled goals against - granted Talbot is orders of magnitude better than anyone that was in net for the Jets last season.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
So the difference between 500,000 and you ship him out? I don't see any problem in paying Trouba 8 over 8. As you said this upcoming season will let us get a better grasp but either way Trouba is incredibly valuable to Winnipeg.

If he was asking for too much what do you even do? Do you look for a 1 to 1 defencemen trade? And if so who?

Based on what I saw this past year, he is not a player who deserves eight. If he improves his game, I would be more willing to give him that in 2018.

Also, there isn't a point in discussing what he should get now. It makes absolutely no sense for Trouba to sign now - he will likely have a better goalie and linemates further improving his numbers. Most of the deadwood from last year's team has been cut, so it's reasonable to expect better things from everyone, Trouba included. The only concern would be a bad injury.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
My expectation is that he ends up getting $7.5 million but anything under $8 million is a good deal for the team.

The number could end up being even higher than that if repeats his 5v5 performance from last year and is on the #1 PP as well. He was 6th in the NHL in 5v5 P/60 while being one of the top defensive D-men, which is a rare combination. People are seriously sleeping on just how good he was last year because it takes the talking heads a while to cue into defensive play and offensively they mainly look at total points which usually means PP points.

My question is at what price do you walk Trouba out?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Trouba for Nuge is a good hockey trade. Leave the shiny toys at home, it'll only upset people.

No interest in Nuge, zero. Not trading a #1D for a 2C who gets paid a hair less then Mark S. Nuge is in the "overpaid" range for what you get. Chevy should get fired on the spot if he ever traded Trouba for Nuge straight up. Wouldn't even call him a cab either. :laugh:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I really don't see how. Read the post directly above yours, he bled goals against - granted Talbot is orders of magnitude better than anyone that was in net for the Jets last season.

Are those stats in all situations, or 5v5 only? There's a stark difference in stat lines between the two. The Jets were pretty good with shot suppression last season, but they gave up the blue line very easy. People attribute this to the Jets' goaltending not getting good enough results, so PMo altered his coaching to attempt to suppress shots instead of relying on the goaltending to make saves. Talbot played _much_ better than any Jets goalie last season, so you can't really use GA/60 as a defining characteristic of how good they are defensively, as it's the goalie's job to stop the puck. When you have confidence in your goaltending, your playstyle changes.

Let's hope that Mason is the balm that soothes the aching problems in net.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Why do people think we don't want to / can't pay Trouba? If we could lock him.up 8 years at ~7.5 per 95% of Jets fans would do it.

I believe no one here questions the Jets desire to extend him.

People just wonder if Trouba, who took his time last year to resign, is willing to stay in Winnipeg. Otherwise it should be a no brainer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad