Proposal: Trouba all encompassing trade thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
A swap of Fowler and JVR only adds like $250,000 to the Ducks payroll. They could also look to trade Despres or Bieksa somewhere.

That's the thing, though. They don't want to move Despres as he was just signed, and recognize that nobody's taking Bieksa. Realistically the only reason Fowler's available at all is because he's an opportunity to save cap space, not add - even if the add is miniscule, it's in the wrong direction.

EDIT: Well, okay. Maybe it could work if they tell Toronto "you also take back Bieksa and buy him out" and Toronto goes for that. Buyout cap hit wouldn't be too horrible - two years of $1.333...m/year.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The only guys with similar value to Trouba on that list are Rielly, Leddy, Murray, Maatta, Krug, Werenski, and Provorov. The other guys you'd have to add majorly.

Rielly, Weresnki and Provorov aren't going anywhere for obvious reasons. Trading Murray doesn't make sense for Columbus because of the hole it would leave on the left side. Leddy doesn't make sense for Islanders. No Jets fan would do Krug for Trouba. Maatta I doubt the Jets would do either.

Try again.

No need. He said who would you trade Trouba for straight up. That's the answer. Anyone else would require an add for me. Otherwise we keep Trouba which I am 100% ok with.

Kelevra

Mar 6, 2007
As a fan of none of these teams, this would be fair

To Ana
Jvr at 50%

To Tor
Trouba

To Win
Fowler
Ana 2nd
Tor 2nd

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Ok we both agree he was great his rookie year. I know about injury in the second year, but you even said he was inconsistent his third year and "not that bad", I'm sorry but not that bad isn't a glowing endorsement. And trust me when I say I watched a lot of pens games last year every time they played the Devils, Rangers or islanders plus all the national games they get. Plus 15 playoff games at least. I've seen a lot of Maatta and I believe the jury is still out on him as a player. So if he's gonna be brought up in a trouba trade proposal that + next to his name better be significant.

So why is Maatta's inconsistencies hurting his value but Trouba's inconsistencies not being mentioned? Maatta had stretches where he struggled last year without a doubt, but let's not act like Trouba didn't have the same. Outside of their injury history, those 2 have been on very similar tracks so far in their NHL career. Both had fantastic rookie seasons and mediocre 3rd seasons. You're either seriously overrating Trouba here or seriously underrating Maatta, the difference in their level right now isn't significant. The reason that Trouba has more value than Maatta is because he's a RHD, but that's the only big difference.

That's the thing, though. They don't want to move Despres as he was just signed, and recognize that nobody's taking Bieksa. Realistically the only reason Fowler's available at all is because he's an opportunity to save cap space, not add - even if the add is miniscule, it's in the wrong direction.

I've heard speculation that they want to move Despres because he has a big contract and was bad last year, but I don't know how true that is. I'd imagine that they would prefer to trade Despres compared to Fowler.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The first part could be true, but I'd say ask Kyle Turris if he was the main loser in his sit out which was basically identical.

Same agent too.

I don't think these situations will end up being similar at the end. Trouba is more valuable an asset than Turris was at the time. Jets have nothing to gain by moving Trouba for less than value - they aren't in a championship window and aren't paying him. He's not hanging around the team at the rink. I think the likelihood of him not playing at all this season and having the Dec 1 deadline pass is higher than moving him by Dec 1 to get "something".

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Ok we both agree he was great his rookie year. I know about injury in the second year, but you even said he was inconsistent his third year and "not that bad", I'm sorry but not that bad isn't a glowing endorsement. And trust me when I say I watched a lot of pens games last year every time they played the Devils, Rangers or islanders plus all the national games they get. Plus 15 playoff games at least. I've seen a lot of Maatta and I believe the jury is still out on him as a player. So if he's gonna be brought up in a trouba trade proposal that + next to his name better be significant.

Are we talking about Scott Stevens or Jacob Trouba?

Anyways, Maatta is a LHD under contract ($4,083) for the next six seasons, and is only 22.

WpgJetz

Sep 26, 2016
Travis Hamonic (26) + 2nd rounder for trouba(22). We still get 10 plus years out of hamonic.

This way we get an exp D who wants to be home. Trouba, sadly ive watched your career here. Even getting Hamonic straight across for you would be a steal. Turnover after turnover Trouba . you should learn your game and pass the puck to your forwards. Ive watched you ignore completely open wingers to take it in and lose it ,game after game.First play he makes in the world cup he turns it over on a skate in doing this exact same thing. Ignoring people who are open so he can stroke his ego. This guy needs to go.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
EDIT: Well, okay. Maybe it could work if they tell Toronto "you also take back Bieksa and buy him out" and Toronto goes for that. Buyout cap hit wouldn't be too horrible - two years of $1.333...m/year.

But the next buyout window is next year? Your FAQ is great stuff btw, didn't see it before.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Gardiner is 26, so he's good for so many seasons, that talking about the age difference has no point.

4 years matters when the other player is so young and still developing. I think you guys are crazy to pass up a future Reilly-Trouba pairing. The worst Trouba develops too is what Gardiner is now. Honestly though Winnipeg would never make that deal.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
As a Leaf fan

I wouldn't mind Gardiner + Dermott + 2nd round pick For Trouba

I don't think the Leafs would move Dermott if they moved Gardiner.

Not singling you out here, but why are the Maple Leafs seemingly so desperate to get rid of JVR? I swear the guy is in EVERY Leaf proposal.

They aren't desperate.
Fans see him as having value but possibly not in the Leafs long term plans.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
But the next buyout window is next year? Your FAQ is great stuff btw, didn't see it before.

It seems to be that way. The buyout window opens June 15th (or 48 hours after the Stanley Cup is awarded, whichever comes later), and the expansion draft is scheduled to start on the 18th, so unless Game 7 ends up on the 16th or something there's a brief window for that sort of thing.

Also, thanks. :D

Group Chat Legend*

I dont even feel that Winnipeg needs another dman. Some people forget how good Morrissey should be and the defense they already have at the NHL level.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Not singling you out here, but why are the Maple Leafs seemingly so desperate to get rid of JVR? I swear the guy is in EVERY Leaf proposal.

Not desperate, he's just one of very few pieces on our roster that have some value and may not be part of the future core. We know that no one is going to trade for Laich/Greening/Michalek/Lupul and we don't want to deal Matthews/Nylander/Marner/Rielly, so JVR is just one of a few guys who someone might trade for and we would be willing to part with

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think a growing trend for RFA players is a desire to get to UFA as quick as possible so they can cash in on those UFA years and pick where they want to play.

Wouldn't surprise me if once traded the ask from Overhardt is a ludicrous overpay long term (6.5/7 over 6-8years) or else cheapish "bridge deal" so he can get arbitration rights next go around go to arbitration and get to UFA as early as possible.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I dont even feel that Winnipeg needs another dman. Some people forget how good Morrissey should be and the defense they already have at the NHL level.

Enstrom and Morrissey are our only good left handed dmen. Enstrom is still solid but declining and Morrissey has yet to prove himself. What we are basically looking for is someone who gets to play with Buff.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
So why is Maatta's inconsistencies hurting his value but Trouba's inconsistencies not being mentioned? Maatta had stretches where he struggled last year without a doubt, but let's not act like Trouba didn't have the same. Outside of their injury history, those 2 have been on very similar tracks so far in their NHL career. Both had fantastic rookie seasons and mediocre 3rd seasons. You're either seriously overrating Trouba here or seriously underrating Maatta, the difference in their level right now isn't significant. The reason that Trouba has more value than Maatta is because he's a RHD, but that's the only big difference.

I've heard speculation that they want to move Despres because he has a big contract and was bad last year, but I don't know how true that is. I'd imagine that they would prefer to trade Despres compared to Fowler.

Well when I brought up trouba's inconsitencies in the last thread I was told they're only point related and that his overall play has improved. Which then led to one of them providing me with a link that disproves that notion. I thought it was fair enough. Maatta's issues have been offensively related and overall play. I don't think he's a bad player in fact id love to have him on the Devils second pair. I just think the juries out in whether he remains as just a high end top four or becomes a top pairing defenseman. I don't think I'm being unfair at all.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
I think Gardiner is better than Trouba right now but I'd swap him for Trouba. He's 4 years younger and Gardiner is only a little better than Trouba. Trouba will close the gap soon and pass Gardiner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad