Proposal: Trouba all encompassing trade thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Personally I think acquiring Trouba would be detrimental to the leafs if its going to cost the leafs Gardiner+. Moving a player who is by almost all metrics a top pairing defenseman for another defenseman who has top pairing potential just because he plays the right side is risky. Add into the fact that you're moving additional assets like kapanen + an early 2nd and it really sours the deal for me.

I'd agree for the near term, but opportunities to snag a likely future top pair RHD don't come often enough. The next one might not be available for years to come.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Here goes.

Hedman
Josi
OEL
Faulk
Lindholm
Brodie
Hanifin
Reilly
Leddy
Murray

Maybe Maatta, Krug, Werenski and Provorov.

Those are probably the only guys that would fit the bill of what Chevy wants. With Werenski and Provorov being unlikely targets as they haven't played in the NHL yet. But targets that I wouldn't mind acquiring.

The only guys with similar value to Trouba on that list are Rielly, Leddy, Murray, Maatta, Krug, Werenski, and Provorov. The other guys you'd have to add majorly.

Rielly, Weresnki and Provorov aren't going anywhere for obvious reasons. Trading Murray doesn't make sense for Columbus because of the hole it would leave on the left side. Leddy doesn't make sense for Islanders. No Jets fan would do Krug for Trouba. Maatta I doubt the Jets would do either.

Try again.

Esko

Sep 23, 2015
Here goes.

Hedman
Josi
OEL
Faulk
Lindholm
Brodie
Hanifin
Reilly
Leddy
Murray

Maybe Maatta, Krug, Werenski and Provorov.

Those are probably the only guys that would fit the bill of what Chevy wants. With Werenski and Provorov being unlikely targets as they haven't played in the NHL yet. But targets that I wouldn't mind acquiring.

I think you are going to end up disappointed.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
You could build your defense around trouba and rielly for the next ten years. Gardner is a decent too four who can put up points. I'm sorry but I think you're mistaken about this one.

That's possible, but I could also build my defense around Rielly/Gardiner for the next 10 years.

It doesn't matter to me if you think I'm mistaken, I'd rather have two good pairings (Gardiner carries any pairing) than one good one.

If we're gonna go after Trouba (which I wouldn't mind), we should not trade Rielly or Gardiner.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
That's possible, but I could also build my defense around Rielly/Gardiner for the next 10 years.

It doesn't matter to me if you think I'm mistaken, I'd rather have two good pairings (Gardiner carries any pairing) than one good one.

If we're gonna go after Trouba (which I wouldn't mind), we should not trade Rielly or Gardiner.

I don't think it's doable otherwise, unless you manage to somehow hook in a third team that has a Rielly/Gardiner equivalent that they're willing to move for something y'all have.
Please don't ask us. It'll get ugly.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I don't think it's doable otherwise, unless you manage to somehow hook in a third team that has a Rielly/Gardiner equivalent that they're willing to move for something y'all have.

I completely agree, and that's why I'm down playing him coming to the Leafs. It just doesn't make sense to trade either one of them.

But to your other point, the most obvious 3 teams for us are Jets, Leafs, Ducks.

Fowler, Trouba, JVR. Nobody seems to agree on fair value though.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I'd agree for the near term, but opportunities to snag a likely future top pair RHD don't come often enough. The next one might not be available for years to come.

It is kind of a lateral move, but the Jets want a LHD (younger established player) in return. The Leafs could use a RHD younger dman. It's a great fit need/want wise.

Maybe Gardiner in a better skater.....maybe Trouba is better in his own end? Maybe a move like would help compliment other parts already on each respective team.....

I honestly think it's a good starting point of discussion. Gardiner, high prospect not name Matthews or Marner or Nylander, and possibly a pick. The Leafs have so many NHL ready prospects - they are already going to move out some vets to make room for some or risk losing them. Unless the Jets want a guy like Michalek (who they could move at deadline as upcoming UFA) to help even out the $ and get some good experience too.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
For the record, if a Rangers poster "Bernmeister" comes in here with a 10,000 word trade proposal including coaches, players houses, gas and electric bills, plus the obvious lopsided deals. Please do not he is the only one on that board that does that, and he is always called out on it. Dom't take him seriously, he just wants to see his nil 17 rangers team on MSG ice. Most of you guys know his proposals anyway but just posting for a disclaimer.. He's a great guy but his trades involve depleting our roster and having no 1 the age of 21 on the team and likes to make 8 blockbuster deals in one day. Read if u want a great laugh though lol.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Why must the Jets break? Drouin broke, and look how that worked out...

Did you read the premise on the first part of my post?

I think going public with this now means that he doesn't want to sit and is hoping he'll get moved before the season starts. The main loser of a sit out is Trouba.

The first part could be true, but I'd say ask Kyle Turris if he was the main loser in his sit out which was basically identical.

Is it really a high quality asset if no one wants to trade as if it is one?

Obviously the Jets value Trouba, it is probably worth more to them him not playing against them, than having some marginal prospect or bottom pairing defensemen as a replacement.

I think they will get more than a marginal prospect or bottom pairing D. Not to the levels of what people were talking about a month ago but something they'd rather have than not. For the playing against him thing, sure that sucks but it's only a handful of games and whatever asset they get in return would help versus every team if it pans out.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Ducks get JVR
Leafs get Trouba
Jets get Fowler

I actually think this is doable to be honest. I could also see something based on Skjei+ for Trouba working too.

UllmansTiger

May 27, 2012

Maybe Fowler, can't think of much else.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015

Agreed. I don't like stacking the 1st pairing while having the worst 2nd pairing in the league. Especially when we'd have to add a few good pieces while taking on a presumably much larger cap hit.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Ducks get JVR
Leafs get Trouba
Jets get Fowler

I actually think this is doable to be honest.

Jets fans will say Fowler isn't enough, Ducks fans will say JVR isn't enough.

It makes the most sense, but no fan base will like it.

Been talked about too many times.

TheGreat

Dec 5, 2012
Ducks get JVR
Leafs get Trouba
Jets get Fowler

I actually think this is doable to be honest. I could also see something based on Skjei+ for Trouba working too.

Ducks need cap space to sign their 2 RFAs so they won't do that

Che vy Teemuchuk

May 31, 2011
John Labatt Centre
So here's how I understand the situation:
  • Trouba doesn't actually have to be moved, trade request or no. Winnipeg doesn't seem to be in any particular hurry, at any rate.
  • Winnipeg's only hole is a young high-quality LHD, and that's all they're willing to accept. Not the fans. The organization, per repeated statements.
I think that means that if you're offering something other than a young high-quality LHD as your centerpiece, you're SOL. If you don't have one to spare, perhaps you should consider looking into three-way options. (Just be aware that the Jackets will likely not be participating in same, as Murray and Werenski are off the table.)

If any Jets fans want to borrow my Ryan Johansen Trading FAQ and adapt it to the Trouba situation, please feel free. :D

Lol. Fantastic. Wouldn't require much changing from your RyJo rules to be directly applicable to Trouba. Should be a sticky lol.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
The Pens can't afford that if Trouba is asking for around $6 million. I also wouldn't add on top of Maatta for Trouba, I think it's a fairly even swap. If Pouliot breaks out this year, I would consider it a lot more, but for now I'd say no to that.

Bringing this proposal back from the last thread, who adds here:

Habs get Rieder and H Samuelsson
Coyotes get Trouba
Jets get Beaulieu and Hudon

"Maatta has been living off his rookie year"

Dude, Maatta has been in the league for 3 years and missed 60 games in his 2nd season. What a ridiculous thing to say. He was phenomenal in his rookie year and played like a legit #2 before he got hurt in 2014-2015. He wasn't bad last year, he was just very inconsistent. He'll be closer to where he was at in 2014 than where he was for stretches of last season, we already saw Maatta rebound and play extremely well late in the playoffs last year.

Ok we both agree he was great his rookie year. I know about injury in the second year, but you even said he was inconsistent his third year and "not that bad", I'm sorry but not that bad isn't a glowing endorsement. And trust me when I say I watched a lot of pens games last year every time they played the Devils, Rangers or islanders plus all the national games they get. Plus 15 playoff games at least. I've seen a lot of Maatta and I believe the jury is still out on him as a player. So if he's gonna be brought up in a trouba trade proposal that + next to his name better be significant.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Unless the purpose is to alleviate cap space for an extension, I think Maatta for Trouba is fair, straight up. Maatta's relatively low cap hit has to count for something.

Yes, but as does his injury history unfortunately. I like Maatta a lot but he's a risk.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Sens dont really have anyone, the jets would want Trouba is better than Ceci, but the only LHD D-men the Jets would be interested in is Chabot. While hes a good D-men he isnt proven enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00