Proposal: Trouba all encompassing trade thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
No doubt RHD's are in short supply but how does swapping out a talented LHD for a talented RHD help a team? It's a lateral move. Teams generally want to make their team better when making a trade not staying the same.

Most teams have solid pieces on the left side, and may ask a player to play offside on the right. The Jets have the opposite problem. Getting a similar player to play on his correct side may maximize their play.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
There have been absolutely no confirmed reports about what sort of salary Trouba is looking for. For all we know, he may be willing to sign for $4mm a year.

For a player like Trouba, I imagine a lot of GM's will be willing to put a good LHD on the table. RHD are in short supply and very coveted.

Agree supposedly that $7 million asking price for 8 years came from some guy out of Winnipeg and Overhardt put the kibosh on that one. As of right now we don't know what Trouba is seeking. Though word was that he might be seeking the Seth Jones deal at 6 years @ $5.4 million per which i think he's worth that.

Yup within reason i would assume that any GM would be willing to put up a decent LHD for Trouba. Obviously D-man like Rielly and Lindholm are off the table and even a deal around either McDonagh or Krug for Trouba makes zero sense as both the Rangers or Bruins wouldn't really be upgrading they would be lateral moves at best.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Not a Fowler fan at all, but he'd be in the ballpark. Ducks would have to add a fairly decent piece though, IMO.

Why would we? Fowler isn't asking to be dealt, and isn't a pending RFA. The only reason we would go after Trouba would be to flip to another team that has a available top 6 LW. Three way trades don't happen very often, so I don't see Trouba being traded to the Ducks at all.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Agree supposedly that $7 million asking price for 8 years came from some guy out of Winnipeg and Overhardt put the kibosh on that one. As of right now we don't know what Trouba is seeking. Though word was that he might be seeking the Seth Jones deal at 6 years @ $5.4 million per which i think he's worth that.

Yup within reason i would assume that any GM would be willing to put up a decent LHD for Trouba. Obviously D-man like Rielly and Lindholm are off the table and even a deal around either McDonagh or Krug for Trouba makes zero sense as both the Rangers or Bruins wouldn't really be upgrading they would be lateral moves at best.

That's fair. As a Bruins fan, I'd love to get Trouba, but dealing Krug would just open another hole, and not really improve the team in the short term.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Why would we? Fowler isn't asking to be dealt, and isn't a pending RFA. The only reason we would go after Trouba would be to flip to another team that has a available top 6 LW. Three way trades don't happen very often, so I don't see Trouba being traded to the Ducks at all.

Lindholm Trouba pairing for the next 10 years would be pretty sick.

Agree though, I don't really see the Ducks as a team that would be pursuing Trouba from a team needs perspective.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Wrong, we can be picky, nothing forces us to do anything. Trouba will be traded for what Chevy wants or sign late Nov (then traded at a later date) or Chevy will trade a pick or prospect for a older serviceable top 4 LHD guy who is cheaper to guy, buying time for our LHD prospects to develop and trade Trouba for the BPA aka a forward. Even Trouba's agent acknowledged that come mid-late Nov they would "reevaluate" not signing if it meant sitting out the entire year. Trouba won't sit out the entire year and miss getting paid 5+ million potentially that he will never get back.

A nasty offer-sheet ala O'Reilly can make things very difficult moving forward.

Although, it's unlikely he signs one seeing as he doesn't want to stay in Winnipeg.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Fair enough. But I'm going off what your own GM has said he wants in return. That doesn't involve getting an older LHD. Also, why would a team trade a serviceable LHD who I imagine would still be signed, for someone who is asking for a ton of money they don't deserve?

Based on what your own GM has said, Fowler is the only one that fits the bill. Hate Fowler all you want, but he's the best LHD that could be available.

Chevy stated what he "wants", but I'm agreeing with others he "might" not get that b/c no one is available that are acceptable. If this becomes true, he might need to adjust his plan, ie trade for a older serviceable cheap top 4 to just get us by for 1-2 years giving Josh and Stanley time to develop further. We have loads of prospects and picks to achieve this if desired, we wouldn't be trading Trouba for another LHD is my point. Then Chevy can trade Trouba for just the BPA including forwards, which opens up many more possible trades.

We don't know that Fowler is "the best LHD available", your speculating there. He might be and he might not be, time will tell. PS: I don't hate Fowler, he just isn't as valuable as Trouba. In a previous post I said I would accept Fowler for Trouba if the Ducks added a significant expansion exempt LHD prospect to offset the value difference between Trouba & Fowler.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
No doubt RHD's are in short supply but how does swapping out a talented LHD for a talented RHD help a team? It's a lateral move. Teams generally want to make their team better when making a trade not staying the same.

There multiple plausible scenarios where this can be the case.

What if a team has great depth on the left, but it's missing RH defense.

Every team has different needs and strengths. Just because two players of equal value are being exchanged, doesn't mean it can't make your team better.

MikeRahl

Feb 20, 2010
A nasty offer-sheet ala O'Reilly can make things very difficult moving forward.

Although, it's unlikely he signs one seeing as he doesn't want to stay in Winnipeg.

Probably the worst thing that could happen to the Jets is a 2 year offer sheet at $7.5 if someone would give it to him.

Trouba is probably worth more than a 1st/2nd/3rd, but he wouldn't be able to go below $7.5 for years 3 and 4 in arbitration I believe which could cause some issues.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Most teams have solid pieces on the left side, and may ask a player to play offside on the right. The Jets have the opposite problem. Getting a similar player to play on his correct side may maximize their play.

You are correct that there are more lefties but again why would someone move a talented 22 year with the same talent as Trouba just to switch hands. Talented 22 year old defensemen are in short supply across the league regardless of handedness. Teams want to improve their defense by adding Trouba not just slightly increase its efficiency. That's like saying hey we need to increase scoring so let me trade my talented left winger to get an equally talented right winger. There is no significant gain.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Fowler is two years away from group III. What are the chances he re-sign's in Winnipeg?

Not really sure, Though i could see Fowler wanting to test the market within 2 years. Unless he's definitely dealt to a team that he would love to sign a long term extension with in another year or so. Not sure that would include Winnipeg though.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Anaheim has a surplus of D, but that's temporary. Bieksa is only signed for 2 years. Lindholm definitely can't be traded for Trouba. As for Fowler, he's the obvious anchor of their 2nd pairing going forward, and their main young D prospects play the right side it seems so it just seems ideal to just keep what they have. They are a great team, so they want to keep everything the same if they can.

But maybe Anaheim thinks they'd have some issue signing Fowler when the time comes. In that case, they would trade him for Trouba as long as Trouba agrees to a reasonable deal. They can talk to both right now, so Anaheim can make an informed decision. I'm sure a big reason Anaheim wants to argue Lindholm down is because it sets a benchmark for Fowler.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
No one knows. What we do know is he would actually play for two years there instead of Trouba.

Winnipeg has no leverage so they have to lose value somewhere. If the choice is between the quality of the player or the quality of the contract, I think they will pick the quality of the player.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Lindholm Trouba pairing for the next 10 years would be pretty sick.

Agree though, I don't really see the Ducks as a team that would be pursuing Trouba from a team needs perspective.

Considering that more then likely Trouba will be seeking way more then what Fowler is making now, The odds that Trouba would be in Anaheim are pretty nil. And i don't see Trouba wanting to spend 10 years in Anaheim any ways.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
You are correct that there are more lefties but again why would someone move a talented 22 year with the same talent as Trouba just to switch hands. Talented 22 year old defensemen are in short supply across the league regardless of handedness. Teams want to improve their defense by adding Trouba not just slightly increase its efficiency. That's like saying hey we need to increase scoring so let me trade my talented left winger to get an equally talented right winger. There is no significant gain.

Trading a left winger for a right winger may make a team significantly better if you have 4 talented left wingers who can't play the offside and zero talented right wingers.

MikeRahl

Feb 20, 2010
Anaheim has a surplus of D, but that's temporary. Bieksa is only signed for 2 years. Lindholm definitely can't be traded for Trouba. As for Fowler, he's the obvious anchor of their 2nd pairing going forward, and their main young D prospects play the right side it seems so it just seems ideal to just keep what they have. They are a great team, so they want to keep everything the same if they can.

But maybe Anaheim thinks they'd have some issue signing Fowler when the time comes. In that case, they would trade him for Trouba as long as Trouba agrees to a reasonable deal. They can talk to both right now, so Anaheim can make an informed decision. I'm sure a big reason Anaheim wants to argue Lindholm down is because it sets a benchmark for Fowler.

I think the reason why people mention Lindholm for Trouba is that they are both unsigned RFA. In a vacuum you definitely wouldn't make that deal, but if Anaheim wants Trouba they probably can't keep Lindholm as well (You would think combined they would get at least 11 million).

In that case if the Ducks were really hot to trot over Trouba, Lindholm + Cap Dump for Trouba + A Prospect + B prospect/Pick might make sense. I'm not even sure if there are any players on the Ducks deemed worthy of cap dump status though.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The questions with Trouba:

1. How much money does he really want? Are the demands exaggerated because he wants out of Winnipeg?

2. Where does he want to play? I know he has no control of where he is traded but will he leave a Canadian team for the US?

3. If true, what teams offer him an immediate top 4/2 RHD spot and can take the salary? Plus the assets to acquire him?

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Trading a left winger for a right winger may make a team significantly better if you have 4 talented left wingers who can't play the offside and zero talented right wingers.

Ok so what teams have a surplus of young talented left handed defensemen?

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
The questions with Trouba:

1. How much money does he really want? Are the demands exaggerated because he wants out of Winnipeg?

2. Where does he want to play? I know he has no control of where he is traded but will he leave a Canadian team for the US?

3. If true, what teams offer him an immediate top 4/2 RHD spot and can take the salary? Plus the assets to acquire him?

The avs are definitely in a position to make a trade, but it would require Winnipeg to accept Barrie or Johnson in a return, which isn't ideal for Winnipeg.

Although Barrie has been known to be able to play on the left.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

If Anaheim wants to sign Lindholm they likely have to trade Fowler to be able to afford it. They have just 7.5M cap space right now and Lindholm looking longterm 6M deal.
By then Vatanen would be the leader of the 2nd pairing.

Without Fowler they still have Lindholm, Despres, Theodore as left shooting defenseman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad