Sportsnet: Treliving: It will cost a really good young player to get a 1st rounder

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
If only Treliving had made Calgary's 2018 1st round pick conditional on them making the playoffs when he traded it for Hamonic, he wouldn't need to trade a good young player to acquire a 1st round pick this year.
Then they'd be in the same situation next year...

This year's draft isn't especially deep and Calgary didn't win the lottery. At the end of the day the deal was fine... If Calgary had won the lottery it would've been a disaster.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
The underrating of draft picks on this site is crazy. I've seen some atrocious offers for 12th overall, veterans we don't need who we're expected to pay high prices for.

This article confirms that the cost of a high 1st rounder is expensive and will cost a really good young player.
That's also people offering up trades on a forum who have some odd desire to 'win' the hypothetical trade. I would expect low ball offers.

There is a big difference between a good young player and a young top pairing defender though.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Don’t think Bennett qualifies as “really good”.
The definition of "really good" changes between GM PR and fan analysis. Bennett likely tops out as a 2nd/3rd line tweener, true. But for a GM, a kid in his early 20s with top 9 upside may well be classified as a "really good" player when talking about him to media. There's no objective cutoff of "really good" requiring that the player have a top line/pairing ceiling, or be a top 200 player in the league, or whatever.

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
You say you love troll posts. I say I love homer posts. Bennett hasn’t been consistent at all and I watch a lot of Flames games. Definitely not worth a 1st unless it’s a late one. Sorry the truth hurts.

Homer would work if I was a flames fan, guess its hard to tell with my redwings avatar. If you read my post I said he needs consistancy AND an extended look in the top 6.

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
He has to EARN those minutes by showing that he has the ability to play. Do you honestly think the coaching staff just has it out for him and wants to waste a 4OA pick?
Tkachuk came in and showed more and earned his spot on the team. Bennett just isn't a very good NHL player and at age 22 the clock is ticking

Matt was gifted an extended look in the top 6, Bennett never got that. Good rookie season under Hartley then blah under Glen Gul. Maybe, just maybe, it was how the coach used him, lets see what happens with a new coach. Oh, and ya, clock is ticking at 22, better tell some players they better be awesome right away, like Mark Scheifele who had his first 40+ season at 22 and first 20+ goal season the next year. Strange as it is players take longer time than others, Hell the wings have Larkin, who broke out this season, gonna be 22 in july and Mantha who broke out this season and is 23.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Matt was gifted an extended look in the top 6, Bennett never got that. Good rookie season under Hartley then blah under Glen Gul. Maybe, just maybe, it was how the coach used him, lets see what happens with a new coach. Oh, and ya, clock is ticking at 22, better tell some players they better be awesome right away, like Mark Scheifele who had his first 40+ season at 22 and first 20+ goal season the next year. Strange as it is players take longer time than others, Hell the wings have Larkin, who broke out this season, gonna be 22 in july and Mantha who broke out this season and is 23.
Scheifele's 49 point season was at the same point of his career as Bennett's 2017-18 season. I still think Bennett can be a useful player, but imo his skillset doesn't look like its going to translate to the NHL as a high quality top 6 player, and it looks like his original projection as a 1st line player is a very distant memory.

The Flames should keep him and hope he continues to develop because I sincerely doubt any GM out there is going to gamble a 1st round pick on this player.

Reactions: flamesforcup

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Then they'd be in the same situation next year...

This year's draft isn't especially deep and Calgary didn't win the lottery. At the end of the day the deal was fine... If Calgary had won the lottery it would've been a disaster.

Calgary winning the lottery doesn’t change anything. The simple fact is they traded an unprotected 1st and iced a team that wasn’t a playoff team. I think they had something like ~2% odds of getting Dahlin, ~3% odds of getting Svechnikov, and ~4% odds of getting Zadina. You have to consider what those odds are realistically worth. If you go to the gas station and put $20 on pump #5 without buying a lottery ticket, and the next lottery ticket they sell just so happens to be the Moneyball Millions winning ticket, you’re not suddenly an idiot for not buying it.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Problem there is you're pretty much pointing out all the things he needs to have happen to give him more value. Currently he doesn't have enough value to go after a high end pick. I think the best the could hope for is a Turris esk Arizona trade and even there Turris had shown a little more than Bennett in my opinion.

Turris returned an extremely highly touted prospect and a 2nd.

I think you’re right, Bennett would return something similar. I’m kinda hoping he’s the return for Hoffman, at this point...

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I think you need to give Bennett another year and see what you have. He needs to cut down on his trips to the Bennalty box in crucial situations though.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
From a Canucks perspective, I’d kick the tires on a 7th OA+ for a Dougie Hamilton kind of deal. But again - it would depend on the what the ‘plus’ would entail.

Trading a young star,who is a core player, for a magic bean who is several yrs away from contributing.
Yeah, I know Flames would get a +, but even with a good + it is still not a trade I would want my GM to make if I was a Flames fan

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Picks are ridiculously overvalued close to the draft. The deadline is the best time to add picks frankly

Reactions: Whileee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad