Sportsnet: Treliving: It will cost a really good young player to get a 1st rounder

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Makes sense. On defense, Hamilton is probably the target, and he’s definitely worth more than a non-top 5ish pick.

If the Islanders are looking at Brodie, I’d rather just re-sign de Haan for free.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Makes sense. On defense, Hamilton is probably the target, and he’s definitely worth more than a non-top 5ish pick.

If the Islanders are looking at Brodie, I’d rather just re-sign de Haan for free.

Personally, I think Hamilton is worth a top-5 pick, but I agree in premise.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Why would any team make that deal unless it's for a top five selection?
There was a tweet ( sorry,but cannot recall which source) , saying the nyi 1sts were available, but at a high price.

So,I am gonna disagree that only the teams holding top 5 picks are demanding high prices for their 1st rounders.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If only Treliving had made Calgary's 2018 1st round pick conditional on them making the playoffs when he traded it for Hamonic, he wouldn't need to trade a good young player to acquire a 1st round pick this year.

Reactions: Red and Morrison

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
more like teams probably hung up when Trev offered Sam Bennett for a 1st

Don’t think Bennett qualifies as “really good”.

Love troll posts, maybe we should see him play more than third line minutes before spewing garbage.Love guys that look at stats and not context. Bennett looked excellent everytime he is put in a top six role, he needs a permanent top 6 role and consistancy. I wanna see him play this year with sean and jonny and see how it goes.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Easily worth a top 5 pick... the overrating of draft picks on this site is crazy. Hamilton is a top pairing defender. You hope someone in the top 5 (maybe not number 1) becomes as good or as valuabale as a top pairing defender

The underrating of draft picks on this site is crazy. I've seen some atrocious offers for 12th overall, veterans we don't need who we're expected to pay high prices for.

This article confirms that the cost of a high 1st rounder is expensive and will cost a really good young player.

Reactions: Trojans86

Shanejones

Jun 12, 2018
Eastern passage
Love troll posts, maybe we should see him play more than third line minutes before spewing garbage.Love guys that look at stats and not context. Bennett looked excellent everytime he is put in a top six role, he needs a permanent top 6 role and consistancy. I wanna see him play this year with sean and jonny and see how it goes.
So,if he’s not playing top 6 role maybe he hasn’t proved to management that he can play top 6 consistently

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Problem there is you're pretty much pointing out all the things he needs to have happen to give him more value. Currently he doesn't have enough value to go after a high end pick. I think the best the could hope for is a Turris esk Arizona trade and even there Turris had shown a little more than Bennett in my opinion.

Reactions: Morrison

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
So,if he’s not playing top 6 role maybe he hasn’t proved to management that he can play top 6 consistently
Another person who doesnt watch. Flames fans who watch him all say the same thing, They want to see him in a top 6 role before giving up on him. He has shown very good chemistry with jonny G the few times they played together, hell give him a month or 2 on the top line and see how it goes.

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
Problem there is you're pretty much pointing out all the things he needs to have happen to give him more value. Currently he doesn't have enough value to go after a high end pick. I think the best the could hope for is a Turris esk Arizona trade and even there Turris had shown a little more than Bennett in my opinion.

I dont think he is worth a high end pick, but why sell really low before you know for sure what you have?

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
He has to EARN those minutes by showing that he has the ability to play. Do you honestly think the coaching staff just has it out for him and wants to waste a 4OA pick?
Tkachuk came in and showed more and earned his spot on the team. Bennett just isn't a very good NHL player and at age 22 the clock is ticking

Reactions: Karri Ramone

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I dont think he is worth a high end pick, but why sell really low before you know for sure what you have?

I am not trying to associate a higher value to him though. It seems you're talking about not wanting to deal him at all which is fine. But you quoted posts saying he didn't have first rounder value in the league and I am not sure he does. He has struggling first rounder for struggling first rounder value like Turris, like Domi and Gally. A part of what I was speaking to was his value.

I am not sure if Bennett will make it happen for the Flames. I wish him luck, but he hasn't necessarily earned more minutes from what I have read and seen. He needs a little more consistency to his game and a little more impact to get that bigger role. Time will tell, but yeah those commenting his value to the league isn't that high weren't wrong in my opinion. At this point Bennett has lost some value in terms of being such a high pick to where we view him now.

Shanejones

Jun 12, 2018
Eastern passage
Another person who doesnt watch. Flames fans who watch him all say the same thing, They want to see him in a top 6 role before giving up on him. He has shown very good chemistry with jonny G the few times they played together, hell give him a month or 2 on the top line and see how it goes.
Never assume, I see quite a few flames(edit) games as a Canuck fan and a hockey fan, unfortunately, the majority of the the flames games I see, he’s not playing or he’s not on top 6 lines so it’s hard to tell, he’s a good middle 6(2nd/3rd line)type player

Last edited:

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
You say you love troll posts. I say I love homer posts. Bennett hasn’t been consistent at all and I watch a lot of Flames games. Definitely not worth a 1st unless it’s a late one. Sorry the truth hurts.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If only Treliving had made Calgary's 2018 1st round pick conditional on them making the playoffs when he traded it for Hamonic, he wouldn't need to trade a good young player to acquire a 1st round pick this year.
Yeah he definitely forgot to make it conditional...

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad