Sportsnet: Treliving: It will cost a really good young player to get a 1st rounder

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Picks are ridiculously overvalued close to the draft. The deadline is the best time to add picks frankly
The TDL is when GMs are most desperate and willing to overpay.

In a cap league, top prospects who develop well are crucial to a team's success and should be highly prized.
Anders Lee has one season left on his deal and then should be looking for a $6m per payday . Think the NYI are not relieved to have top prospect Bellows developing well and turning pro in Oct?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
more like teams probably hung up when Trev offered Sam Bennett for a 1st
Typical from you, I think you probably have that backwards. He was likely offered a late 1st for Bennett and rejected it because most late 1st round picks are no better than Bennett is currently.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
more like teams probably hung up when Trev offered Sam Bennett for a 1st

yeah, i agree.

there is no way anyone is moving anything more than an early 2nd for a player who just had back to back awful seasons

Oilers fans thought they could get a 1st for yakupov as well after a couple years, he went for a 3rd at the end i think?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Typical from you, I think you probably have that backwards. He was likely offered a late 1st for Bennett and rejected it because most late 1st round picks are no better than Bennett is currently.

28 people agreed with the bennet isnt worth a 1st comment, compared to one that thinks bennett is worth more

hint: bennett isnt worth a 1st

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
28 people agreed with the bennet isnt worth a 1st comment, compared to one that thinks bennett is worth more

I don't care if 1000 people agreed, the HF brain trust is clueless 99% of the time.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I don't care if 1000 people agreed, the HF brain trust is clueless 99% of the time.

not this time though. 36-26-26pts while generally not being that great away from the puck
Bennett doesnt have much time left to prove he is a legit top 6 player. as a leaf fan id be disgusted if they gave up pick 25 for him. Would rather take the chance with an unknown over a mediocre NHLer

Kybb79

Sep 13, 2016
not this time though. 36-26-26pts while generally not being that great away from the puck
Bennett doesnt have much time left to prove he is a legit top 6 player. as a leaf fan id be disgusted if they gave up pick 25 for him. Would rather take the chance with an unknown over a mediocre NHLer
As a Flames fan im hoping under a new coach he can improve. One thing he does have is grit. I think this season is his last chance to prove himself.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The fact you claim he's not great away from the puck, proves you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. As Flames fan if we sold him off for the 25th pick, I would be absolutely disgusted because generally the best you get that late is what Bennett already is. I get this is HF and draft picks are severely overvalued, but the way people write Bennett off is nothing short of stupidity

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

Yeah that's how the NHL works, GM's go on HF to see the braintrust of a bunch of people who have no idea what the f*** they are talking about to gauge the value of players.

All it means is that 28 people agreed with a stupid assessment because 28 people have watched Bennett for a grand total of 13 minutes of his entire career and no ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the player.

Bennett is better than 98% of the 1st round.

Reactions: TychoFan

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Somebody has got to flip the pizzas if we're gonna eat 'em. The guys down the street who make my pizzas are a bunch of real nice dudes and I make sure to give them good tips for the great pies.
When I was younger I was a dishwasher in a private club was one of my favorite jobs ever . I just don't think anyone should look down on anyone trying to improve their life or pay their way in life

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
I know Montreal could afford to give him the number 2 center role and could be worth the gamble. Fits the Habs age group they want to go and the Habs can afford to take a chance on Bennett and play him at 2C for he year. He is gritty and has work ethic which Bergevin absolutely loves.

The problem is the Montreal’s first is too high.

If Montreal could make a package around 2x2nds I would like to see if something could get done.

2nd(35)
2nd(39)
Lehkonen

For

Bennett
4th(FLA)

Similar production player in Lehkonen. Same age, Lehkonen can play both songs effectively.

The Flames will get 3 picks in the first 4 rounds this way instead of 1 in the 4th round.

Production cancels out player wise, Get value for Bennett in high 2nd rounders almost late firsts which potential of 1st rounders slipping.

Montreal gets a gritty center who can play 2nd line duties and aren’t locked in a bad contract to try him out. Seems like a Julien type player too.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
The fact you claim he's not great away from the puck, proves you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. As Flames fan if we sold him off for the 25th pick, I would be absolutely disgusted because generally the best you get that late is what Bennett already is. I get this is HF and draft picks are severely overvalued, but the way people write Bennett off is nothing short of stupidity
So your GM has said that the cost to get into the first round is a "really good young roster player" - would you consider Bennett a really good player?
If he is then I guess Ryan Strome is an elite player :biglaugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So your GM has said that the cost to get into the first round is a "really good young roster player" - would you consider Bennett a really good player?
If he is then I guess Ryan Strome is an elite player :biglaugh:
What I consider and he considers aren't necessarily the same thing. He was clearly talking about Bennett and Jankowski, only other young roster player is Tkachuk and we wouldn't give him up for the #1 pick.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Dude, while Appeal to Authority is a logical fallacy, it doesn't mean the scout mentioned or the poster is wrong about the draft being deep.
I agree. The appeal to authority doesn't mean it is either. We'll just gonna have to find something better to demonstrate it.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yeah that's how the NHL works, GM's go on HF to see the braintrust of a bunch of people who have no idea what the **** they are talking about to gauge the value of players.

All it means is that 28 people agreed with a stupid assessment because 28 people have watched Bennett for a grand total of 13 minutes of his entire career and no ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the player.

Bennett is better than 98% of the 1st round.
So, the Flames would be unwise to trade him for any 1st round pick from #4 overall and lower, according to your assessment. Interesting.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Love troll posts, maybe we should see him play more than third line minutes before spewing garbage.Love guys that look at stats and not context. Bennett looked excellent everytime he is put in a top six role, he needs a permanent top 6 role and consistancy. I wanna see him play this year with sean and jonny and see how it goes.
Bennett has not lived up to his draft position.
I would not even trade our 10 OA for him

Reactions: Homesick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad