Travel Thread

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Spent the afternoon walking around Stanley Park before the Bruins game tonight.

17266185_1779222272405008_2341622376006942720_n.jpg

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I found out tonight I"m going to Phoenix the week of my birthday March 28th-April 3rd

Lots of sports to check out that week. Caps and Blues in town, Clippers and Rockets, Dbacks pre-season/home opener. This is my 1st time checking out this city and area. I'll be getting at least one round of golf in, what else is good to check out there? shopping, sight seeing, bars etc.

Thanks in advance.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Sadly due to some family commitments I may not be able to do South Africa/Zambia/Zimbabwe after all in September/October.

In an unrelated note, I'm 5 months from my 30th birthday. I have 18 states to visit to hit 50/50. Gonna try and knock that out before I turn 30.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
by the way, has anyone here ever been to Ethiopia? Seems like a very interesting place with cool history, saw the Anthony Bourdain No Reservations and was speaking to an Uber driver from there, got my interest between there and Iceland as far as international places to go to next.

Lived there for a couple of years. Very complex country with some remarkable sights, unique culture and fascinating politics and history. From a tourism perspective, it's also one of those places where there are multiple different regions worth a visit, so you have to really decide where you want unless you have plenty of time. Recent political developments are notable though, and the government's eventually going to crumble, IMO.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Lived there for a couple of years. Very complex country with some remarkable sights, unique culture and fascinating politics and history. From a tourism perspective, it's also one of those places where there are multiple different regions worth a visit, so you have to really decide where you want unless you have plenty of time. Recent political developments are notable though, and the government's eventually going to crumble, IMO.
And super hot women. The best.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I found out tonight I"m going to Phoenix the week of my birthday March 28th-April 3rd

Lots of sports to check out that week. Caps and Blues in town, Clippers and Rockets, Dbacks pre-season/home opener. This is my 1st time checking out this city and area. I'll be getting at least one round of golf in, what else is good to check out there? shopping, sight seeing, bars etc.

Thanks in advance.

Grand Canyon, Sedona, Prescott (the best meadery in the world is there).

Bee Sheriff

Bad Boy Postingâ„¢
Nov 9, 2013
Tucson

Thanks in advance.

Definitely Scottsdale for shopping. Glendale obviously for sports. Not much for sight seeing. Maybe do a hike one day? I'd really just reccomend doing city stuff

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Who has spent time traveling SE Asia?

My September plans have changed, and we have pivoted away from the Philippines to SE Asia. Currently, our top choice is Vietnam, but for anyone that has been to these countries, which would you recommend out of:

Vietnam
Cambodia
Myanmar

for ~12 days? Thailand is off the table because I spent some time there years ago.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Have our honeymoon booked in late September, four weeks in Europe. Land in London, spend a bit less than a week around England, then heading to Munich for Oktoberfest, then start an 8 day Contiki tour from Amsterdam-Berlin-Prague-Vienna.

We have about a week to get from Vienna back up to London and hoping to see Italy, France (and maybe Spain).
Looking for suggestions on places to see long the way. We're not all that interested in the super touristy things like the Louvre, the fountain in Rome, etc.
Also would it be better/more economical to take trains or to hire a car?

BrimFullofAsham45

Dec 22, 2002
Have our honeymoon booked in late September, four weeks in Europe. Land in London, spend a bit less than a week around England, then heading to Munich for Oktoberfest, then start an 8 day Contiki tour from Amsterdam-Berlin-Prague-Vienna.

We have about a week to get from Vienna back up to London and hoping to see Italy, France (and maybe Spain).
Looking for suggestions on places to see long the way. We're not all that interested in the super touristy things like the Louvre, the fountain in Rome, etc.
Also would it be better/more economical to take trains or to hire a car?

Eight days to see Amsterdam-Berlin-Prague-Vienna will be hectic, and travel is somewhat long between those cities to boot. After that, you will probably want to relax. The better idea is to take the short train ride from Vienna to Budapest, and divide the rest of your time between there and the Croatian coast. If you want, Venice is is reasonably short bus ride from northern Croatia. Budapest is a great city and your money will go far there.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East

My September plans have changed, and we have pivoted away from the Philippines to SE Asia. Currently, our top choice is Vietnam, but for anyone that has been to these countries, which would you recommend out of:

Vietnam
Cambodia
Myanmar

for ~12 days? Thailand is off the table because I spent some time there years ago.

Hmm 12 days is a stretch to be honest.

I have been to most SE Asian countries bar Philippines which I was planning to do this year but thats off the table. And sadly I decided not to do Myanmar back in 2005 when I was there.

I have spent 2 weeks in Cambodia, 3 in Vietnam, 5 weeks total in Thailand and 4 weeks in Laos. Plus a couple in Borneo, Bali and about a week in mainland Malysia. A month in Singapore as well.

So you have the option of modern city state in Singapore to very rural undeveloped Laos.

What do you want to see?

If it was up to me I would probably do 2 weeks Myanmar since I havent been there or 2 weeks in Cambodia sinceI missed the northern provinces which are supposed to be untouched and stunning. But thats what I am into when I travel.

Thailand probably offers the best mix of rural traditional sights with modern relax you ass off.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Hmm 12 days is a stretch to be honest.

I have been to most SE Asian countries bar Philippines which I was planning to do this year but thats off the table. And sadly I decided not to do Myanmar back in 2005 when I was there.

I have spent 2 weeks in Cambodia, 3 in Vietnam, 5 weeks total in Thailand and 4 weeks in Laos. Plus a couple in Borneo, Bali and about a week in mainland Malysia. A month in Singapore as well.

So you have the option of modern city state in Singapore to very rural undeveloped Laos.

What do you want to see?

If it was up to me I would probably do 2 weeks Myanmar since I havent been there or 2 weeks in Cambodia sinceI missed the northern provinces which are supposed to be untouched and stunning. But thats what I am into when I travel.

Thailand probably offers the best mix of rural traditional sights with modern relax you ass off.

Unfortunately we have a couple of inexperienced travelers with us so opted to not do Myanmar. We went ahead a did a vote and will be going to Vietnam.

I have a rough idea of what places we will visit, but let me knock w if you have other suggestions!

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Unfortunately we have a couple of inexperienced travelers with us so opted to not do Myanmar. We went ahead a did a vote and will be going to Vietnam.

I have a rough idea of what places we will visit, but let me knock w if you have other suggestions!

Vietnam should be good. Its relatively easy to travel as its long and not wide so you basically just go up the entire country.

I was there in 2005 so I am not sure how much it changed since then.

One thing I did note is the Vietnamese were more aggressive towards tourists or less open than in Thailand, Laos or Cambodia. I had heard this before I went from many people I knew who went there. I was told it was "tiring" constantly having to fight for everything.

I had a couple of crazy hair raising experiences there with locals as they tried to scam me. Something I never have had anywhere else.

The hill tribe people were a breath of fresh air and I did meet lots of nice open Vietnamese but much less so than in the other countries.

Not sure if they still have it but back then you could get a one-way, hop-on/hop-off bus ticket from Saigon to Hanoi or the reverse. Was like $20USD. But they drop you off at the "tourist hub", basically where all the hotel touts wait for you to accost you. lol

Just walk away and find you own non-overpriced place to stay.

And I would recommend spending a few days in the Mekong delta as well as the Sapa, hill tribe area of the North.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

Recommend a homestay in Mai Chau (he's on Airbnb). You catch a bus from Hanoi and it's a few hours, and end up in a little village of about 30 bamboo houses and literally no other tourists. They take you through the village, to the rice fields where the women are working (and you can have a go at planting rice), and they take you to the local waterfalls where the kids play in the afternoon. My partner and I had an awesome time playing with them and getting into splash fights. At night all the girls from the village came over in their costumes and did their traditional minority dance for us and taught us a few moves at the end. The next day we hopped on the back of their motorbikes and they took us to a cave and another village where we met another local family. Was the best food we had for our entire trip as they feed you the whole time you're there.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site

Vietnam
Cambodia
Myanmar

I just left Myanmar after living there for more than three and a half years. Loved it, feel strongly attached to the country. Also visited Vietnam and Cambodia while I was living in the region.

I could write all day about Myanmar, although September may still be a bit rainy (although quieter for tourists). Bagan is one of the coolest places I've ever been, and Inle Lake is lovely as well, while Yangon is a fascinating city with amazing colonial architecture. But bigger picture, the country is fascinating and thoroughly enjoyable. The nicest, most genuine country I've ever been to, and it's not too late to see it before it really changes (although it's changed considerably in the past four years).

Vietnam and Cambodia are both great, and it depends what you're looking for. Cambodia is primarily Siem Reap/Angkor Wat + Phnom Penh, whereas Vietnam deserves more time and can be cut up into a wide range of itineraries. If you're looking to spend all 12 days in one place, I'd say Vietnam over Cambodia, but Myanmar over both.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Heading to Albania, Montenegro, Croatia & Bosnia & Herzegovina in 3 weeks. First time to the Balkans.

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
Rundown of the places I've visited (that you haven't) with quick comments.

Dublin is mediocre IMO, but the Cliffs of Moher were awesome.

Brussels is pretty good, but I've heard Bruges is better, or Ghent.

Really enjoyed Switzerland and Liechtenstein. We flew into Zurich but didn't spend any time there, instead driving to Balzers and Lucerne, before heading to Basel.

If you're looking for something a bit less touristy, Ljubljana, Slovenia was stunning
. Didn't get a chance to see Lake Bled, but I hear great things.

Frankfurt wasn't that interesting, but I enjoyed Munich a lot. Granted, I was only there for the Christmas Markets, but there's tons to see. We also took a day trip via bus to Salzburg, which was beautiful but could be seen in a day or so.

My favorite country in Europe though has got to be Italy. Florence, Venice, and Rome are all incredible, and cheap and fast trains mean you could easily see all three. Venice probably only needs 2-3 days unless you're going to explore the surrounding islands. Florence and Rome have tons to see.

My last 3 trips were:

Philippines
Italy
France/Germany

Thinking of Slovenia for trip next year so good to hear.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
So I'm in Whistler...are there any Canadians here or is everyone from UK, Australia, or New Zealand here? Lmao wtf

I worked 2 seasons in Whistler--first crew were all Aussies--about 1/4 into the season the manager of the crew told me he had to let me go--when I asked why he said that the 5 Aussies had a mate coming over and was in need of a job and if he did not give him a job the 5 would jump to a different site--Ended up working on the slope--but yeah--Since the late 80's mostly Aussie are in whistler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad