Travel Thread

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
LMAO

Did the above a couple of weeks ago......in Philly. Go to a hotel? Nope.....get there like you said at 1:00 although wouldn't have had to be back at the airport until 6:00.

Don't know where that quiet place - was surprised frankly at how noisy and active it was. Didn't think it would be deserted by any means but crap.

Priority was closeness to a rest room. At least there was a coffee shop open too. I'm not a great sleeper anyway so whatever.

Man, you have my sympathy! And yeah -- the frikkin loud music at Philly International, the cleaning crew, plus the various stranded passengers trying to sleep or wandering the floor like the undead. Overnight in an airport feels like the Twilight Zone. I learned the airport issues free overnight packs with a pillow and blanket, because I guess this happens almost every night. Philly also has a sleep space with private rooms that you can rent for one or four hours. They're almost the price of a hotel room. My wife and kids took a room and got a couple hours of sleep; I stayed up and vented on HF.

fan75

Mar 22, 2002
Montreal
I'm trying to plan a 3 week Euro trip in the fall... looking to land in Edinburgh or London and leave from Stockholm (most likely) or Copenhagen.

What cities would you suggest? I already did Reykjavik, Paris and Amsterdam last year in an 8 day span.

Open to anything but would like to include Barcelona and Berlin. Been researching everything from Spain and Italy, to Latvia and Lithuania.

Dr Awesome

Yak in the city
Sep 24, 2008
British Columbia
I'm trying to plan a 3 week Euro trip in the fall... looking to land in Edinburgh or London and leave from Stockholm (most likely) or Copenhagen.

What cities would you suggest? I already did Reykjavik, Paris and Amsterdam last year in an 8 day span.

Open to anything but would like to include Barcelona and Berlin. Been researching everything from Spain and Italy, to Latvia and Lithuania.

8 day span? Did you travel in one of those vacation groups?

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
Here's a miserable travel report:

I helped my father move my parents' belongings from Fairfax, VA to Overland Park, KS. last weekend. He got two 26 foot Penske trucks. One for me to drive, one for him. He had already done the trip once when my mother got a job teaching in Overland Park over the summer and got an apartment. Their house in Fairfax sold and he's moving to the apartment until their house is built on a golf course nearby Overland Park.

Notes from traveling I-70 in a Penske Truck:

-Demand a diesel version of the 26 foot truck. My father's first trip was in a diesel truck and it got 13 miles to the gallon. Our V-10 gasoline Ford-based trucks got 5.4 miles to the gallon.

-Driving a 26 foot truck is like sex for the first couple times. You need to be guided in. My Dad, who has driven a 26 foot truck before had to help me navigate through gas pumps and parking lots.

-Driving through the Appalachians on 70 is hellish. It's just up and down and constant turns around mountains. It's miserable.

-Unlike 16-wheelers, these trucks don't have air suspension. You feel EVERY bump on the road. If you hit a pothole or a major defect in the road, your clip with your phone will inevitably fly off the vent.

-We stopped to eat lunch and refuel in Morgantown, WV, home of WVU. I've been to Tuscaloosa, Ocala, Auburn, and Athens. Morgantown is probably the most redneck place a major college is located in.

-I'm pretty good with navigation and directions, the roads around Kansas City are ****ing confusing -- and I've gone there a few times.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Booking flights to Portland over Memorial Day weekend and flights to San Francisco at the end of July this week. :yo:

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA

Rundown of the places I've visited (that you haven't) with quick comments.

Dublin is mediocre IMO, but the Cliffs of Moher were awesome.

Brussels is pretty good, but I've heard Bruges is better, or Ghent.

Really enjoyed Switzerland and Liechtenstein. We flew into Zurich but didn't spend any time there, instead driving to Balzers and Lucerne, before heading to Basel.

If you're looking for something a bit less touristy, Ljubljana, Slovenia was stunning. Didn't get a chance to see Lake Bled, but I hear great things.

Frankfurt wasn't that interesting, but I enjoyed Munich a lot. Granted, I was only there for the Christmas Markets, but there's tons to see. We also took a day trip via bus to Salzburg, which was beautiful but could be seen in a day or so.

My favorite country in Europe though has got to be Italy. Florence, Venice, and Rome are all incredible, and cheap and fast trains mean you could easily see all three. Venice probably only needs 2-3 days unless you're going to explore the surrounding islands. Florence and Rome have tons to see.

Dog

Rundown of the places I've visited (that you haven't) with quick comments.

Dublin is mediocre IMO, but the Cliffs of Moher were awesome.

Brussels is pretty good, but I've heard Bruges is better, or Ghent.

Really enjoyed Switzerland and Liechtenstein. We flew into Zurich but didn't spend any time there, instead driving to Balzers and Lucerne, before heading to Basel.

If you're looking for something a bit less touristy, Ljubljana, Slovenia was stunning. Didn't get a chance to see Lake Bled, but I hear great things.

Frankfurt wasn't that interesting, but I enjoyed Munich a lot. Granted, I was only there for the Christmas Markets, but there's tons to see. We also took a day trip via bus to Salzburg, which was beautiful but could be seen in a day or so.

My favorite country in Europe though has got to be Italy. Florence, Venice, and Rome are all incredible, and cheap and fast trains mean you could easily see all three. Venice probably only needs 2-3 days unless you're going to explore the surrounding islands. Florence and Rome have tons to see.

Dublin is very mediocre, not much great about it IMO

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
As someone who has been living in Dublin for almost 3 years I have to step up for Dublin. The city isn't great in terms of sightseeing points and tourist attractions but you just have to soak up the cities atmosphere and try to blend in with the people. So yeah, wouldn't visit Dublin for a day but mediocre is no word to describe Dublin!

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I dunno I spent a year in Ireland most of it in Galway with 3-4 months on the Mizen Head peninsula in West Cork. Dublin suck really. Even with the atmosphere. As a tourist you are far better off heading straight to Galway.

Galway is or at least was when I was there a quaint little city with lots of small family owned pubs (though the super pubs had started making inroads back in 2001).

Galway is close to Cliffs of Moher, the Buren, the islands and Connemara and Gaeltacht (gaelic speaking area).

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
hey guys, just some pics I took while trying out my new camera last night.

this is in Diablo Lake, WA. In the North Cascades NP.

33117741612_563415758c_c.jpg

33273446285_bffc270528_c.jpg

by the way, has anyone here ever been to Ethiopia? Seems like a very interesting place with cool history, saw the Anthony Bourdain No Reservations and was speaking to an Uber driver from there, got my interest between there and Iceland as far as international places to go to next.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Beautiful pics! If anyone is interested I have a bunch of great pictures from my travels last year. Would be happy to share.

Never been to Ethiopia, but it is very very high in my bucket list. The religious history there is crazy, it has great food, and it's very safe allegedly.

I was potentially going to go in September with a bunch of my friends, but we ultimately decided logistics for 8 of us in Ethiopia is just not doable at an affordable price. My friends that are meeting me in rwanda after my work trip are going to fly there for 2 days to see the Ark of the Covenant (alleged burial place of the Ten Commandments), but I'm not going with them because I think that's a ridiculous excursion. Would rather see everything Ethiopia has to offer at once.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Anyone know of what type of jobs allow you to travel often?

salesmen and other businesses

or go to Meetup.com

create a travel group--start to small trips in your area and then build from there

there is one woman(she is a nasty piece of work) she more or less spends all her time traveling via booking trip for 10 to 16 people with a heavy mark up--you have to book her packages and that allows her to travel for free.--out of 52 weeks out of the year---she travels 40 of them--most people in her group are too stupid to realize how over price the tours she books are.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Beautiful pics! If anyone is interested I have a bunch of great pictures from my travels last year. Would be happy to share.

Never been to Ethiopia, but it is very very high in my bucket list. The religious history there is crazy, it has great food, and it's very safe allegedly.

I was potentially going to go in September with a bunch of my friends, but we ultimately decided logistics for 8 of us in Ethiopia is just not doable at an affordable price. My friends that are meeting me in rwanda after my work trip are going to fly there for 2 days to see the Ark of the Covenant (alleged burial place of the Ten Commandments), but I'm not going with them because I think that's a ridiculous excursion. Would rather see everything Ethiopia has to offer at once.

yeah sure, always interested in travel pics. Yeah supposed to be safe considering the area and countries that surround it.
That's what I'm interested on, the history but also the country side from what I've seen is utterly amazing. I'll probably end up going to Iceland before I go there though. I live in Seattle now and tickets are under 1k and it's just 7 hour flight.. which is nothing.

I'm also doing a week long cruise to Alaska in September. Never been on a cruise which is crazy being that I lived pretty much all of my life in Miami lol

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
found a new way for my co-workers to think I am crazy

When I get off of work Thursday morning--I head straight to the Airport and head to Thailand for 14 days--when I come back, my flight is supposed to arrive at about 5pm London time and I will head straight to work after a 13 hour flight and 14 days in Bangkok

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad