Travel Thread

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Let me know if you need any suggestions for Ghana, was there last year along with Liberia. I love West Africa, but he heat right about now is unbearable there. I was literally covered in sweat perpetually.

Yes, Central/Southern Africa are great. Botswana, Zimbabwe and Zambia are all beautiful. I would also recommend Rwanda to anyone, it's a shame that most people just associate it with the genocide and assume it's unsafe. It's the fastest growing economy on the continent.

Yeah, unbearable is a good adjective to describe the heat here during rainy season. I find myself already having trouble dealing with the humidity. Last time I was here during early February and it was much more enjoyable.

Only have intermittent internet here, sorry for the delayed response. Thanks for the offer. Definitely interested in any suggestions you have when it comes to Ghana - in Accra itself or elsewhere.

So far we've only got a few things planned. We're going to head to Kakum National Park as well. Wanted to check out the Volta region since that was highly recommended to us but not sure if we'll have the time to pull that off.

With regard to Rwanda, it's pretty incredible to hear how far the country's come in such a short time since the genocide. I've heard people refer to it as the Switzerland of Africa a couple times but had no idea it had recovered economically to the degree that it has or that a city like Kigali was so forward thinking and progressive. Tells you a lot about the leadership and resiliency of the Rwandan people when you hear these rave reviews about the country.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
so sorted out my summer travel

june 22nd head to Thailand---Do the south east asia circle

Thailand-Cambodia-Vietnam-Laos-Burma

Fly back to London August 1st, August 3rd spend three weeks driving around Poland-Latvia-Lithuania- Belarus-Ukraine.

Reactions: Supersic

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
so sorted out my summer travel

june 22nd head to Thailand---Do the south east asia circle

Thailand-Cambodia-Vietnam-Laos-Burma

Fly back to London August 1st, August 3rd spend three weeks driving around Poland-Latvia-Lithuania- Belarus-Ukraine.

I was in Thailand a few months back.

If you're staying on the coastal parts or on islands, rent a moped and drive around, it's a blast.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Friend got an internship in Hong Kong. Going to visit him for a week. Decided to add a week in Toyko solo and Macau while we are out there.

Need ideas for what to do?!

Sep 19, 2008
VACATIONS LIE. Culture tells us to spend an entire year saving for a week to escape our life. We call it vacation. Even with my ability to travel as often as I please, something doesn't feel right. Vacations are meant to be new, they are meant to be fun, but they are not meant to be better than your normal life. I've been all around the world, and I would never trade travel for what I have at home. Life isn't about the 50 vacations you'll take while you're on this planet. It's about the 25,000 days between them. Stop creating a life that you need a vacation from. Instead, move to where you want to live, marry who you want to marry, start what you want to start, and create the life you desire today. This isn't rehearsal people. This is YOUR life.

Plante

Devils Advocate
May 12, 2010
Anahim Lake
thesoapbar.ca
VACATIONS LIE. Culture tells us to spend an entire year saving for a week to escape our life. We call it vacation. Even with my ability to travel as often as I please, something doesn't feel right. Vacations are meant to be new, they are meant to be fun, but they are not meant to be better than your normal life. I've been all around the world, and I would never trade travel for what I have at home. Life isn't about the 50 vacations you'll take while you're on this planet. It's about the 25,000 days between them. Stop creating a life that you need a vacation from. Instead, move to where you want to live, marry who you want to marry, start what you want to start, and create the life you desire today. This isn't rehearsal people. This is YOUR life.

If only life was that easy :laugh:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
so I have planned out most of my trip In South east asia from June 23rd to july 31st

Bangkok from June 23nd to 26th
Chiang Mai from 27th to about July 5th(large area to see)
Slow boat to Laos from the 6th to the 9th
Louang Prabang(Laos) July 9th to 11th
Vientiane 12th
back into Thailand take a trip in and around Khan Kaen and heading down towards Pattaya--spend about 3 days heading down to pattaya (give or take)
Pattaya from about 16th to 20th
Bangkok 21st
night train to Surat Thani
From 22nd to 29th Ko Tao-Ko Pha Ngan-Ko Samui(I have been to Samui before so I may just stick to the two islands
30th--night train back to Bangkok
July 31st fly back out

but as anyone knows--when you are in south east asia--you sometimes go where the wind blows you

Last edited:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
so I have planned out most of my trip In South east asia from June 23rd to july 31st

Bangkok from June 23nd to 26th
Chiang Mai from 27th to about July 5th(large area to see)
Slow boat to Laos from the 6th to the 9th
Louang Prabang(Laos) July 9th to 11th
Vientiane 12th
back into Thailand take a trip in and around Khan Kaen and heading down towards Pattaya--spend about 3 days heading down to pattaya (give or take)
Pattaya from about 16th to 20th
Bangkok 21st
night train to Surat Thani
From 22nd to 29th Ko Tao-Ko Pha Ngan-Ko Samui(I have been to Samui before so I may just stick to the two islands
30th--night train back to Bangkok
July 31st fly back out

but as anyone knows--when you are in south east asia--you sometimes go where the wind blows you

Would love to see some pictures if you felt like sharing any after, or as you go along this trip. :)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Would love to see some pictures if you felt like sharing any after, or as you go along this trip. :)

if I figure out how to post them I will(some one will need to explain how I upload photos here from my hard drive--me old--internet thing not my friend sometimes)

back in Uk now for 24 hours--driving to Poland tomorrow

funnest part of my trip was accidentally going into Vietnam. I was drinking in Laos and the bar shut down at midnight--one of the locals I was drinking with said a bar by his house was still open--so me and 5 other guys all jumped into his bamboo boat and headed across the very small river to the other bar. Turned out it was on the Nam side of the river--opps--did not have my passport on me and I did not have a visa either

ninja edit

I can do it via twitter
@jtshark71

Last edited:

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
Closing in on three months since I left Sweden. 25ish days in Thailand, a month on Bali and now a month in Malaysia. Heading to singapore in six hours, then to Phnom Penh after. Having a blast traveling solo. :)

Reactions: Plural

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Closing in on three months since I left Sweden. 25ish days in Thailand, a month on Bali and now a month in Malaysia. Heading to singapore in six hours, then to Phnom Penh after. Having a blast traveling solo. :)

Sounds awesome. Have fun on your trip!

We're leaving in less than two weeks from Finland. Me and my fiancee will fly to Bangkok at 18th Dec. to attend a family members wedding. We plan on seeing Kanchanaburi and River of Kwai including the death railway. At 28th Dec. we fly to Melbourne to meet up with friends and all five of us will spend new years + January in Australia. New Years in Melbourne, then Great Ocean Road, Fall Creek ski resort, Sydney, coastal towns, Brisbane. We'll meet some of my fiancees relatives in Brisbane, vote in Finnish presidential elections, leave our car and fly to Cairns. We'll spend a week there. Rest of the crew flies back to Finland and I and my fiancee go to Indonesia. Cairns- Denpasar flight is booked for 26th (IIRC) January. We'll catch our breath for few days in Ubud and then we'll start backpacking through Sumatra. 25th (IIRC) February we'll fly from Jakarta to Singapore and have few luxury days before we get back to the north.

Any good tips on Bali/Indonesia?

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
I stayed for close to a week in northern Bali at lovina beach. Calm, great snorkeling spots and dolphins every morning. The drive there was pretty as hell, too. Had a great view of the volcano that erupted recently, it was on alert when I was there but I felt very safe all the time.

Try to get a few days on Lembongan if you can, its about an hour with speed boat from Bali. Beautiful island with a lot of stuff to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->