Trading Places LEAFS HABS

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
That would require both teams making the playoffs. I'm betting against the team that is a mere 4 points from being out of the playoffs and has gone 2-7-1 in February.

and gone 19-20-7 in their last 46.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
and gone 19-20-7 in their last 46.

They still have a lot of divisional games left (11 of their last 21) that will make or break them in their remaining schedule.

Tor-1
Ott-3
TB-2
Fla-2
Buf-1
Det-2
Bos-0

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
To see a team fall from grace as badly as the Habs have, since their great start would generally make me feel a bit bad for the team, but then I think about the fact that it is the Habs and feel a warm feeling inside.

The recent collapse in Habland seems to have confirmed what many already knew or thought and that is that the Habs success is largely due to Carey Price.

If you had the choice to trade organizations from today (prospects, players, management, ownership) and either keep what we have, or take what MON has to work with from today as a starting point to build a Stanley Cup team, which would you choose?
Who do you believe is closer to a Stanley Cup?

Probably not fair to say a large part of their success is due to Price, he is no doubt a part of it BUT they had A LOT of key injuries this year. The team has little depth to replace those key injuries , they go in a funk and now the key players are back the giant loser snowball is rolling down the mountain...and it cant be stopped. Its hard to turn around a team that feels bad about itself, Julien said as much that the team lacks confidence.

The Habs like to play the Leafs, I'm sure the crappy Habs team from the last 2 months will look much better vs our team tonight. It will be a battle.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Probably not fair to say a large part of their success is due to Price, he is no doubt a part of it BUT they had A LOT of key injuries this year. The team has little depth to replace those key injuries , they go in a funk and now the key players are back the giant loser snowball is rolling down the mountain...and it cant be stopped. Its hard to turn around a team that feels bad about itself, Julien said as much that the team lacks confidence.

The Habs like to play the Leafs, I'm sure the crappy Habs team from the last 2 months will look much better vs our team tonight. It will be a battle.

The original post was from over a year a ago. It was referring to last season. The thread was just bumped. Again this year though we are seeing what happens to them when Price is ungodly. Hopefully he is mortal tonight.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Price is a UFA in summer of 2018. If the Canadians are playoffs "unsuccessful", I imagine he will consider UFA as a real possibility.

How successful are the Habs going to be next year. Sens, improving Leafs, Florida without. injuries, Tampa with Stamkos, Bruins, injure free Sabres, wow...looks like a dog fight to make the top three or four spots

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Thought this thread needed a bump given both team's offseason so far.

It is amazing to look at the different paths of the Leafs and Habs, and the drastic changes to the clubs and their fortunes since the beginning of the thread.

With the Price extension the Habs could seriously be stuck in purgatory for the next 8 years ala the 2005-2015 Leafs. Looking at their roster, especially lack of quality down the middle and their cupboard, they do not seem to have a lot of hope turning it around any time soon. Losing Radulov, Sergeychev and possibly Markov could see them trending downward enough to miss the playoffs this year.

The Leafs on the other hand could have a real shot to go deep in the playoffs this season, and I love where we are positioning ourselves for the future.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Hard to bet against the Habs if Price stays healthy.

That's a big if though. And 8-years is crazy. For a goalie, any goalie, that contract can be a giant anchor.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Thought this thread needed a bump given both team's offseason so far.

It is amazing to look at the different paths of the Leafs and Habs, and the drastic changes to the clubs and their fortunes since the beginning of the thread.

With the Price extension the Habs could seriously be stuck in purgatory for the next 8 years ala the 2005-2015 Leafs. Looking at their roster, especially lack of quality down the middle and their cupboard, they do not seem to have a lot of hope turning it around any time soon. Losing Radulov, Sergeychev and possibly Markov could see them trending downward enough to miss the playoffs this year.

The Leafs on the other hand could have a real shot to go deep in the playoffs this season, and I love where we are positioning ourselves for the future.

I really feel sorry for the Habs - I am a die heart Leafs but let's face that the Montreal is one of the most (or perhaps the most) successful franchise in NHL

Losing Radulov is very painful for the Habs fan

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Montreal will be stuck in perpetual mediocrity where Price's heroics prevent them from bottoming out and rebuilding (or at least retooling) their team, but the rest of their team has way too many holes to be a legitimate threat. Weber may be a great defenseman but he's going to start trending down pretty quickly - he can't handle the load on his own, and then that contract will start to look like one of the worst in the league. Maybe they do better than us next year, or even the year after, but going forward they're in serious trouble.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Tony Marinaroâ€ÂVerified account
@TonyMarinaro
Follow
More
Andrei Markov is talking contract with one team right now. The Philadelphia Flyers #TSN690

Another bad news for the Habs fan

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Montreal started its death spiral with the PK trade.

They traded a better, younger player, on a better contract. Nothing good comes from that move.

I really dont blame them for re-signing Price; im not even sure Lou would have the guts to move Price/let him walk. But it does throw an enormous wrench into their plans. I dont know how you build around a goalie making that much cash. Price may be able to stop pucks, but he cant score goals. You need goals to win.

I thought I lived through the dark ages of centres here, post Sundin, but I think Montreal has it worse now.

EXPECT THE LEAFS

May 7, 2016
Montreal will be stuck in perpetual mediocrity where Price's heroics prevent them from bottoming out and rebuilding (or at least retooling) their team, but the rest of their team has way too many holes to be a legitimate threat. Weber may be a great defenseman but he's going to start trending down pretty quickly - he can't handle the load on his own, and then that contract will start to look like one of the worst in the league. Maybe they do better than us next year, or even the year after, but going forward they're in serious trouble.

that's the worst spot to be in... that's where we were and would've remained with Kessel. Thank God they finally came to their senses... all that retooling garbage lmao... so dumb, so Burke.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

They traded a better, younger player, on a better contract. Nothing good comes from that move.

I really dont blame them for re-signing Price; im not even sure Lou would have the guts to move Price/let him walk. But it does throw an enormous wrench into their plans. I dont know how you build around a goalie making that much cash. Price may be able to stop pucks, but he cant score goals. You need goals to win.

I thought I lived through the dark ages of centres here, post Sundin, but I think Montreal has it worse now.

Too be very honest they are in a very sorry state

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015

The funny thing is, this would have been the best year to tank it up for them. Think of the haul you can get for Price, and with this 2018 draft class, if you are in the top 5 you are getting a real player. Stocking up on 1st's in this draft could move you forward pretty quick.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
In the end can't say I blame Montreal for sticking with Price. It's that or blowing the whole thing up. Which is easier argued to ownership when you haven't been making the playoffs at all and are currently in a mediocrity death spiral. A bit harder when you're semi-regularly getting in and getting that playoff income. That death spiral will likely come, but not immediately. Probably wasn't much choice for the GM in that case. Keep the goalie and likely be able to hold onto your job.

Haven't made great choices though. Moving Subban to get someone still pretty good, but older. Then moving your top prospect for a skilled winger is an interesting choice. It is pretty bleak up the middle there.

Montreal can likely hang around the playoffs for a while just having Price and trying to grind out 2-1 or 1-0 wins. But not seeing a long term successful direction.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
In the end can't say I blame Montreal for sticking with Price. It's that or blowing the whole thing up. Which is easier argued to ownership when you haven't been making the playoffs at all and are currently in a mediocrity death spiral. A bit harder when you're semi-regularly getting in and getting that playoff income. That death spiral will likely come, but not immediately. Probably wasn't much choice for the GM in that case. Keep the goalie and likely be able to hold onto your job.

Haven't made great choices though. Moving Subban to get someone still pretty good, but older. Then moving your top prospect for a skilled winger is an interesting choice. It is pretty bleak up the middle there.

Montreal can likely hang around the playoffs for a while just having Price and trying to grind out 2-1 or 1-0 wins. But not seeing a long term successful direction.

Montreal is in a bad bad place. like they'll get to the show - I don't see how you don't with Price. But who is scoring? Patches turns into a ghost come playoff time, Chucky is seen as a winger (and I think by this point he's about had it with management). they just lost Radulov, so even the Drouin move is a sideways move that still doesn't help them. They lost their best trade chip in Sergachev. Their defense is slow, they have no centres and they can't bottom out because they re-signed Price for eleventymillion years for a gazillion dollars. so if (when) Bergevin loses his job how on earth do you move Price? Who is taking on that contract?

It's gonna be tough tough sledding in Montreal. I won't even lie that sucks, because i'd really want to face them when they are at their best so when we beat them there's no excuses why we won.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I just love that they lost Radulov.

Huge loss for them. Alzner was a solid pick up though.

And their best C is still a guy named Plekanec. Ya they ain't winning anytime soon. A really good team that is not good enough to win the cup. Feels like a Sundin era Leafs team.

They gotta go full rebuild. Or don't. Means little to me..

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Montreal is in a bad bad place. like they'll get to the show - I don't see how you don't with Price. But who is scoring? Patches turns into a ghost come playoff time, Chucky is seen as a winger (and I think by this point he's about had it with management). they just lost Radulov, so even the Drouin move is a sideways move that still doesn't help them. They lost their best trade chip in Sergachev. Their defense is slow, they have no centres and they can't bottom out because they re-signed Price for eleventymillion years for a gazillion dollars. so if (when) Bergevin loses his job how on earth do you move Price? Who is taking on that contract?

It's gonna be tough tough sledding in Montreal. I won't even lie that sucks, because i'd really want to face them when they are at their best so when we beat them there's no excuses why we won.

The Habs are in a Nonis era gong show with no focus or plan going forward.

Every move is a panic reaction to what's going on around them.

It's horrible management and speaking as a leafs fan I'm going to thoroughly enjoy the snipe show on Price every time we play them this year.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
With the Price extension the Habs could seriously be stuck in purgatory for the next 8 years ala the 2005-2015 Leafs.

I think Price is going to regret that contract as much as the Habs are, despite having 84 million reasons not to. Any off night, he's going to hear "Wow, he made $131250 to play like that?!"

I feel for the guy. No one should have to be Phil Kesseled just because the team around them (or in this case, in front of them) is awful.

Then, in 3 years, he'll end up playing on Pittsburgh and win back to back cups :sarcasm:.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The habs are on the wrong side of 25 my friends

They are so bad I encourage our management to trade them Bozak and JVR for 1sts or unprotected 1sts or whatever. It wont help them to get past our team.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

It's gonna be tough tough sledding in Montreal. I won't even lie that sucks, because i'd really want to face them when they are at their best so when we beat them there's no excuses why we won

I've had similar thoughts. Would be so awesome to meet in the playoffs when we're both really strong teams.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Operation trade with the habs should start right now with the request of 2019 and 2020 futures expected. By then we will get some nice ones ;) decline decline decline

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

And we knew we were never going to be Cup contenders with our C's post Sundin.

Thanks to having Price they have no choice but to try and win with what they have.

Keeping their overall team depth is even an issue for them now.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
What a silly question.

Montreal are closer to the cup, but we don't know where they expect to be in 5 years.

The Leafs are nowhere near the cup, and we have a sense of what their plan is for the next 5 years.

Their fans will pick their system, and our fans will pick our system.

The big kicker for me? Bergevin is smarter than any exec from either of the 2 teams.

Funny then, even funnier now. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad