Trading Places LEAFS HABS

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
Carey Price already had his career year, people talk about Carey like he's been a top five goaltender in the league his whole career. Yet he was seen as the weak link or Canada going into the Olympics, since then he's stood on his head but he's playing above his head. I hope Montreal locks themselves into a 8 year deal with Price with a 9+ cap hit.

Habs will be better next season but not a contender. A win now team that can't compete and will burn draft picks to tread water, Bergevin/Therrien are dysfunctional. Leafs are better off since we can at least find the pieces we need to move forward in the lottery or by trading a lottery pick.

Leafs and Sabres will own the division in a few seasons.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Montreal is in an interesting place. They are most definitely better than the Leafs right now. Though most of that goes to having Price.

The question is whether they can get the other pieces they need to compete while he's still in his prime. Trading Subban for Weber just narrows down that window even more now that they have an older #1 D. They are a playoff team with Price healthy, he is that good. The question is whether they can somehow win it all with the rest of the roster and the coaching they have. That's a tougher one.

I'm not sure about the management and coaching over there. Though on the positive side they should remain a playoff team by the time the Leafs are ready to move into the playoffs. So can get back to hoping we can take them down in a playoff series at some point :).

bigfreeze

Mar 16, 2016
The current Habs are like the Leafs in the early 2000s.
They're pretty good I guess, and could go very far if Price puts the team on his back.
Even then, they're not the top team in the league or even in the East, so they'll just contend for the playoffs and maybe make the ECF.
Leafs have a direction and good management, they'll be contenders for the playoffs in a few years, but still too early to see if they'll be cup contenders.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Montreal is in an interesting place. They are most definitely better than the Leafs right now. Though most of that goes to having Price.

The question is whether they can get the other pieces they need to compete while he's still in his prime. Trading Subban for Weber just narrows down that window even more now that they have an older #1 D. They are a playoff team with Price healthy, he is that good. The question is whether they can somehow win it all with the rest of the roster and the coaching they have. That's a tougher one.

I'm not sure about the management and coaching over there. Though on the positive side they should remain a playoff team by the time the Leafs are ready to move into the playoffs. So can get back to hoping we can take them down in a playoff series at some point :).

So much this! Besides actually winning the cup, taking down MTL in the playoffs is my dream.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
This is by far one of the most important factors. The internal dynamics of that group are heavily politicized. Worst of all, their owner is buying into their nonsense. Absolutely nothing worse than being in that position in my mind.

It looks like they're not going to renew their stat guys contract because he argued against the Subban trade.

When it rain it pours in Montreal I guess...

It's like their management group is doing their best to be MORE dysfunctional than Nonis' group was

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
So much this! Besides actually winning the cup, taking down MTL in the playoffs is my dream.

my dream is.

we meet in the ECF.
we have home ice.
we can win game six in Montreal, BUT Gally is a poop head and does something to our goalie which makes EVERYONE mad, and they win.

Babcock loses his cool. everyone is mad it's just bedlam for two days

Saturday Night
triple overtime.
Leafs win and we go to the Cup Finals.

best daydream ever.
(well that's hockey related).

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
I'll take the Leafs for sure. Habs draws MANY comparisons to what the Leafs were experiencing last year and the year before.

#1 forward (winger) that floats and is unneeded during desperate times. Add in the fact that he is the captain, and boy.
Poor contracts that won’t be able to move. Desharnais (although fair dollar wise, is constantly being used out of his realm), Markov, Pleks, Emelin etc.
Top 6 is very unappealing and this lays heavily on BargainBin on not making any moves in the offseason.
Therrien seems to have an immunity medal and their unwritten rule of having a French speaking coach makes matters worse.
Only seeing Bealieau come up from the AHL places huge red flags around their development. TInordi gone, and really only have McCarron and Lehkonen as promising prospects. Gally should have been given much more responsibilities in the centre position but we’re in year 4 and he’s still being put on Desharnais wing.

Regarding your point about MTL relying heavily on Price. Yes, he's their best player. But he can't score goals either. MTL is in trouble. I am happy we are on track over here and I think A LOT of Habs fans envy that.

Thank you for bumping.

A lot of people are looking very stupid right now. Especially those defending BargainBin :D

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
me said:
Hard to say honestly. Price is Price, but if he can't carry them to a cup by himself, its hard to see how they'll make the significant improvements necessary to win. Price won't let them draft high enough, so they're going to have to rely on either capturing lightning in a bottle, or extremely shrewd management to improve via trade and free agency, which is sketchy business at best. They have greater assets, but no obvious path forward.

In hindsight my vague position still seems reasonable.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
How is Tampa going to fall off when their stars keep re-signing for below market deals? In a few seasons the Lightning will still be incredible and will still be the team to beat in this division imo.

Perhaps in 3 seasons Stamkos isn't producing at the same level, Johnson or Palat's production fall off a bit, Kucherov is moved due to budgetary concerns, their D depth is a concern, goaltending not as strong as it is now, etc.

3 years can be a long time in pro sports.

Like not all of our prospects will develop on an upward trajectory to peak all at once a team like Tampa will have inevitable bumps in the road that will change their course.

In 3 years would you rather Stamkos for $8.5 or Matthews for $6.5?

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Perhaps in 3 seasons Stamkos isn't producing at the same level, Johnson or Palat's production fall off a bit, Kucherov is moved due to budgetary concerns, their D depth is a concern, goaltending not as strong as it is now, etc.

3 years can be a long time in pro sports.

Like not all of our prospects will develop on an upward trajectory to peak all at once a team like Tampa will have inevitable bumps in the road that will change their course.

In 3 years would you rather Stamkos for $8.5 or Matthews for $6.5?

We might choose Matthews in 1 year. Stamkos is crashing fast.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
my dream is.

we meet in the ECF.
we have home ice.
we can win game six in Montreal, BUT Gally is a poop head and does something to our goalie which makes EVERYONE mad, and they win.

Saturday Night
triple overtime.

best daydream ever.

Even your daydreams are nerve wracking. True Leafs fan right there.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Even your daydreams are nerve wracking. True Leafs fan right there.

:laugh:
it's the whole. "CAN! YOU! BELIEVE! IT!" syndrome. what can I say. I love the drama. (plus, I want the most memorable win imaginable. LOL). there's winning. and then there's WINNING.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015

It looks like there is a real chance the Leafs could face the Habs in the playoffs. Tomorrow nights game is huge.

There is going to be some real decisions to make in Montreal if they miss the playoffs, or get put out by us. They could mortgage their future at the deadline, which could set them back even further when they finally realize they are not good enough and need to tear it down.

Rayban*

Apr 21, 2013
Ottawa
They are closer to a cup because they have two out of the three necessary core pieces: #1 goalie, #1 D. The leafs have zero out of the three, currently.

That said, I'm fine with the situation of the Leafs. I believe the pipeline is healthier and more flush with talent, and in 2-3 years, will likely be in a better situation than the Habs.

Who dat?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The Habs have no centers and no puckmoving dmen. That's a tough place to be. (And no Galchenyuk is not a center.)

Personally I think Therrien worked miracles with that roster this year.

They need Price to be elite and he hasn't been this year.

(now watch them beat us tonight just to spite me.)

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
The Habs have no centers and no puckmoving dmen. That's a tough place to be. (And no Galchenyuk is not a center.)

Personally I think Therrien worked miracles with that roster this year.

They need Price to be elite and he hasn't been this year.

(now watch them beat us tonight just to spite me.)

Yeah, they are not in a good place. They are likely going to throw money and term at Radulov. I think Sergeychev is still another year away. Price's contract is up after next year, and if they resign him, the term and $ will be HUGE, and like you said they have no 1C or Top pair puck mover. Markov's contract is up and Weber's contract is going to be a huge anchor down the road as well. Right now they are in the worst place possible; a borderline playoff team with a lot of holes, expectations to win and a desperate GM.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
It looks like there is a real chance the Leafs could face the Habs in the playoffs. Tomorrow nights game is huge.

There is going to be some real decisions to make in Montreal if they miss the playoffs, or get put out by us. They could mortgage their future at the deadline, which could set them back even further when they finally realize they are not good enough and need to tear it down.

That would require both teams making the playoffs. I'm betting against the team that is a mere 4 points from being out of the playoffs and has gone 2-7-1 in February.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
my dream is.

we meet in the ECF.
we have home ice.

Saturday Night
triple overtime.

best daydream ever.

Do you actually want to see people's hearts explode?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad