Proposal: Trading Hamonic for either Eberle or Duchene? Which do you want?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
Trade Hamonic to Dallas for 3rd overall, then flip that 3rd pick Colorado for Duchene.

Brock Nelson, 3rd overall, prospect for Duchene.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Trade Hamonic to Dallas for 3rd overall, then flip that 3rd pick Colorado for Duchene.

Brock Nelson, 3rd overall, prospect for Duchene.

Love the idea, but zero chance Dallas gives up #3 for Hamonic straight up (and possibly at all).

isles93

Jul 8, 2006
New York
Word around camp fire is they will only trade for impact defenseman who can play right now.

Well there has to be some takers then. Not too many teams have an impact defenseman that they would be willing to give up for Duchene or he would have been traded already. I love Hamonic but he is a solid 3rd or 4th defenseman and IF I was looking for an impact defenseman who could play right now he would not be my guy. If I was looking for a physical dman and a locker room leader I would go for Hamonic.

I think in the end Duchame stays in Colorado. Joe Sakic does not know how to make a trade.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
Well there has to be some takers then. Not too many teams have an impact defenseman that they would be willing to give up for Duchene or he would have been traded already. I love Hamonic but he is a solid 3rd or 4th defenseman and IF I was looking for an impact defenseman who could play right now he would not be my guy. If I was looking for a physical dman and a locker room leader I would go for Hamonic.

I think in the end Duchame stays in Colorado. Joe Sakic does not know how to make a trade.

Honestly, I can't disagree with any of this, and it's not because I'm not smart enough. It is to say, I would be a damn fool to disagree.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
At this point Sakic pretty much has to get his asking price or he is going to get crucified. I can't imagine him going back to the fans and media if say he only returns a mid-round first or two late-round firsts and a less-than-elite prospect. But he has drawn this out now for almost two years and it has become a zoo. At this point I think most people just want to see this domino fall so everyone can finally move on and more business can be done.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Love the idea, but zero chance Dallas gives up #3 for Hamonic straight up (and possibly at all).

I remember when Philly traded Ruslan Fedotenko and a couple of 2nds for the #4 pick in a weak draft when the acquiring team was looking for the final piece for a cup run. Dallas is not looking for a player 3-5 years down the line, they want to make a cup run, and this is a weak top end draft. Hamonic and some picks or other pieces could possibly do it. It was a long time ago now, but nothing is impossible.

What I think would more realistically be the deciding factor is that Dallas isn't where Hamonic wants to go. He's still looking at Western Canada, IMO.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
He has previous chemistry with both JT and Duchene. I really think if they get Duchene, there's flexibility there to juggle the lines and always have chemistry.

Hamonic, Nelson, Dal Colle, and a 2018 2nd for Duchene. Get it done, Garth.

Lee-Tavares-Bailey
Ladd-Duchene-Eberle
Chimera-Beauvillier-Ho-Sang
Kulemin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Prince/Quine

Leddy-Pelech
de Haan-Boychuk
Hickey-Pulock
Seidenberg-Mayfield

Halak
Greiss

With Barzal, Bellows, Sorokin, Soderstrom, Toews, Wotherspoon, Koivula, Quenneville, etc. still in the pipeline.

Back in the playoffs and potential to go deep several years in a row, IMO.

Agree with this wholeheartedly. Great lineup.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
This was from earlier today but I didn't remember seeing it here.

The only problem I have with Galchenyuk, which is the same reason Montreal is looking to move him; he really hasn't been a good centerman in the NHL. Poor faceoffs and defensive play are the two main factors. Two musts for a center in today's NHL.

So if NYI is considering acquiring him to be their 2nd line C.... they may see the same issues.

Duchene should be the guy. It should be treated as an all-out attempt at a cup run, because the alternative is risking losing JT and going on another rebuild for the next 10 years. Go get him, Garth. No plan B's this year.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Leap agrees with me... time to play the lotto.

I've agreed with you before. Just lately I disagreed on de Haan. Most of the time I don't have anything to disagree with because you are way more knowledgeable on rookies than I am so trust me when I tell you that I definitely read what you say about rookies and use that in building an idea on them.

But yeah, I've disagreed with you on occasion.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Or stock up on canned goods and bottled water because the rapture is coming! ;)

Haha! I grew up in an area with frequent natural disasters, so I actually already do this out of practical necessity.

Batteries, canned goods, 5-gallon buckets of one-month food supplies that last 10 years (basically MREs, like FEMA hands out), flashlights, radio, candles, matches, gallons of water....

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I've agreed with you before. Just lately I disagreed on de Haan. Most of the time I don't have anything to disagree with because you are way more knowledgeable on rookies than I am so trust me when I tell you that I definitely read what you say about rookies and use that in building an idea on them.

But yeah, I've disagreed with you on occasion.

I find myself agreeing with you often as well, I just don't always post "I agree" unless I have something to add. You tend to have good ideas that I hadn't previously thought of...

This feels dirty.

tolsen3

Apr 21, 2014
Dreger claims ...

Darren Dreger said he spoke to an Islander source who stated that a trade for Duchene is highly unlikely, but not impossible.

Per Bob McKenzie, The price the Islanders are asking for Hamonic is supposedly 2 1st round picks.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
All that I am seeing is Duchene possibility is dead.

Let's put it this way...There are 3 possible outcomes from the Duchene situation and two of them ain't good for Sakic:

1. He trades Duchene for a haul, and we all sit back and say, "OK - Fair enough. We weren't going to beat that."
  2. He trades Duchene for fair/lackluster package and we get angry we didn't beat it, but Sakic takes extreme heat.
  3. Duchene isn't traded and the Avs have a similar season as well as an unneeded distraction and the heat on Sakic grows with each loss.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Let's put it this way...There are 3 possible outcomes from the Duchene situation and two of them ain't good for Sakic:

1. He trades Duchene for a haul, and we all sit back and say, "OK - Fair enough. We weren't going to beat that."
  2. He trades Duchene for fair/lackluster package and we get angry we didn't beat it, but Sakic takes extreme heat.
  3. Duchene isn't traded and the Avs have a similar season as well as an unneeded distraction and the heat on Sakic grows with each loss.

4. They keep Duchene, the coaches system finally clicks and they have an improved season with improved scoring. Sakic still takes heat, but learns more what his strengths and weaknesses are and that Duchene can still be a core player.

3 was kind of unfair. That team could turn the corner.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
It's looking more and more like
Hamonic wants out and the Isles at this point are willing to move him for the right price.

CDH is unsigned bc he's easier to trade like that but also doesn't jam up Isles on salary/cap, if they can't
move on.

Still think Kulemin is toast is a salary dump deal.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
That's just wishful thinking at it's finest. Maybe, just maybe duchenes contract would be a noose in a team like Chicago, but for Colorado is far from it. They aren't under any cap crunch and it's not like the guy isn't producing at all. You are usually pretty accurate chapin but snows solid moves must have made you don the blue and orange colored glasses. The entire league knows whomever gets Duchene is getting a good player and they are going to pay to get it. Even the Penguins are rumored to be in on him after clearing Fleurys cap hit. Any team would be happy to go up against the cap to land him.

We shall see with respect to Duchene.

When I say financial nooses, I don't so much mean that their team's salary structure is held captive by them, but rather that Chiarelli and Sakic are asking a lot of any trade partner to be able to take on those contracts. A lot. That ability simply has to be there for opposing teams and that will be a factor for any GM showing interest in such players.

Which theoretically makes it tougher for Chiarelli and Sakic to deal them for the kind of return they'd ideally wish to get.

Granted, Snow kind of 'owns' Chiarelli, but the Strome for Eberle deal seems to indicate that the salary concerns (plus whatever else had management wanting to get rid of Eberle) played a big role in why the better player (at least clearly statistically) was moved 1-for-1 for a guy with promise, but who has had two disappointing seasons in a row for a team who basically begged him to take an offensive role to run with.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Chap-

I don't want snow overpaying for anyone, but Duchene/Eberle are both NOT contractual nooses for Colorado & Edmonton respectively. Both have over 20 million in cap space just this season which is plenty of room to sign everyone they need to.

Oh, I see I wasn't clear with what I meant. When I say financial nooses, I don't so much mean that their team's salary structure is held captive by them, but rather that Chiarelli and Sakic are asking a lot of any trade partner to be able to take on those contracts. A lot. That ability simply has to be there for opposing teams and that will be a factor for any GM showing interest in such players. (Uhh, what I wrote above:))

As for Duchene, I would take him in a hot minute. This is a guy (like Seguin a few years ago) who needs a fresh start because I believe Sakic (along with Kroenke) is running that team into the ground. Hard to be excited to play there right now, but that's their problem. The reality is Duchene is a complete player. Does most everything well and is a good teammate. Not someone like Eberle who teammates would question his effort. I would pay most anything for Duchene other than Barzal, Beauvillier, and/or Leddy. That said not for a second do I think they would want Hamonic (doesn't fit their rebuild) - And certainly not just 1 for 1. If they're not ok with de Haan at a starting point, then I don't see how a deal is getting done with them.

I agree that Sakic won't be accepting a 1-for-1 deal. I just don't feel Snow should be offering him all that much more than that.

Any team acquiring Duchene is doing so with the belief that he'll put up 55+ points as a second line center, a +15 rating, and being one of the league's top 3 face-off guys. I know fans of teams such as Nashville, Montreal, and our own are docking on that even being a strong likelihood.

Is it possible? Certainly. Is it likely in light of his most recent play? Can't be counted on. It's a gamble and it's one that shouldn't be invested too much into in light of other options on the market and the strong belief that Barzal is the long-term answer as the #2 center.

But again, a payment of a Dman plus Beauvillier is likely the lowest price Snow could achieve in acquiring Duchene. And maybe that won't be enough if Sakic is getting half a dozen other offers.

I just think Snow, who just added a 6 million player, should have all his options sussed out.

If a Hamonic could bring back someone like Sam Bennett or Backlund plus, then that's some thinking outside the box that may make more long-term sense.

If the same package offered for Duchene could bring back Galchenyuk, then that'd be something Snow must consider as well.

We'll see soon enough...

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
He has previous chemistry with both JT and Duchene. I really think if they get Duchene, there's flexibility there to juggle the lines and always have chemistry.

This is a very interesting point in a Duchene acquisition.

Hadn't thought about any prior history between him and Eberle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad