Trades and Free Agency Discussion - The Dog Days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Honestly, I was sick of hearing about Kane at the TDL last year.

Now I've got to keep hearing about him until he does/doesn't come back sometime next year too?

Can't stand the guy, he's a shadow of his former self, and I can't wait for that guy to decide to retire.

So tired of hearing his name, and I still laugh at the picks and prospects that were thrown around at last years TDL where it was always the Leafs having to pay a premium to get Kane to come over.

Woof.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Now I've got to keep hearing about him until he does/doesn't come back sometime next year too?

Can't stand the guy, he's a shadow of his former self, and I can't wait for that guy to decide to retire.

So tired of hearing his name, and I still laugh at the picks and prospects that were thrown around at last years TDL where it was always the Leafs having to pay a premium to get Kane to come over.

Woof.

Toronto is the biggest market, so media get the most hits bringing up Toronto as a destination for any name. We really don't have any cap space, and I doubt Kane is looking for a Spezza contract at this point, so to me, it seems that we aren't a good match. That being said, not many teams do have the cap room for even a $4-5 mil addition mid season, barring one of their top wingers going to LTIR for the season. Kane is 34, and had surgery to his hips, so it's hard to say what he's going to be capable of, upon return. The year before last, he put up 92 points... Was last years "decline" because of the need for surgery, or actual decline? I'm not exactly a Kane fan either, but if he does recover to skate like he did before the injury/surgery, and he is willing to sign for near league minimum... for one year, to earn a longer term contract after proving he's still got it... we aren't a bad place... It's also hard to deny.. that a lineup like this below, isn't pretty deadly...

Bertuzzi Matthews Nylander
Knies Tavares Marner
Jarnkrok/Robertson Domi Kane
Defensive shut down Kampf Lafferty

Having three lines that are that kind of offensive threat would be pretty deadly, you have to admit. I mean, I highly doubt it happens... but it would be good.

I believe it was Jeff Marek discussing it on the 32 thoughts podcast.
I saw something about it in on NHL Rumours too, when I looked.... so, yes it's a rumour... that much is true. Who knows with any rumour, if there is any reality. The cap doesn't look like it works, Byram is a bad risk with all of his injuries... It just doesn't really work for either team IMO... I think we'd aim higher in player quality, if we did a Nylander for D deal.

Reactions: Kurtz and LeafSteel

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Not saying the Leafs should be number 1 on his list.

But Kane (34) could secure a hefty retirement contract if he does have success here (or anywhere).

I wouldn’t be surprised (with a cap raise) that he’d sign with a team like Buffalo for 3 years @ high bonus/salary - if he has a strong playoffs on a team like Toronto.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Where are these “rumours” coming from? Avalanche don’t have the cap space for this particular move.

I think that was trelivings ask for Nylander
Not sure Sakic loves willy that much

At the very beginning of the off-season, Friedman had mentioned that we shouldn't be surprised if the Avalanche checked in on Nylander to off-set the offense lost in Landeskog but the Avalanche then acquired Johansen, signed Tatar, acquired Ross and signed Wood.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Woof.

Agreed. And Imo he's probably going to sign a 2 year deal with a US team eventually

He's a non starter for the Leafs

Reactions: LeafSteel

kb

Aug 28, 2009
It really depends who is the Dman?
Connor Murphy for Willie and then sign Kane for a year might just work.
But if that is Myers and plus for Willie and then sign Kane for a season, that won’t work.

One thing I wish would happen is Toews also come back from injury and join Kane in TO and form a 3rd line with Domi.

I couldn’t stop laughing
Connor Murphy?????

• Haha
Reactions: LeafChief

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Is Kane coming here for league minimum?
I don't foresee Kane getting a Giroux/Marleau type contract until next season due to him coming off his injury/down season, but can see someone signing him for a 1 year @ 2.5m/3m, not that Toronto could afford that

If he wants to "rebuild" himself for a year, Toronto wouldn't @ league min wouldn't be a bad bet to do that.

Toronto would find a way to make room for Kane at 800k-1m.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
If you were to move Nylander, Byram would be a great return. A little worried about his injury history but a risk you take IMO.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
If you were to move Nylander, Byram would be a great return. A little worried about his injury history but a risk you take IMO.
That kid is super talented and if he was able to stay healthy I think he would become a more impactful player than Nylander, but his injury history is pretty scary. I'm not sure Treliving would do something that carries that kind of risk. When you are just starting a new job, I think you lean towards the safer bet, which in this case is simply resigning Nylander, even if it means paying a bit more than you originally hoped.

Reactions: Buds17 and TMLAM34

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
That kid is super talented and if he was able to stay healthy I think he would become a more impactful player than Nylander, but his injury history is pretty scary. I'm not sure Treliving would do something that carries that kind of risk. When you are just starting a new job, I think you lean towards the safer bet, which in this case is simply resigning Nylander, even if it means paying a bit more than you originally hoped.

It’s a do or die season after it became clear the team needs impactful changes, if we brought in a GM that’s going to care more about appearances and doing the safe thing the entire management structure from rogers/bell down needs to be fired 3 months ago.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't know why the bolded statement is true in a team building sense. A team is the sum of its parts - and cap hit is intrinsically linked with player output, therefore value per dollar>absolute value. For me I think it's better to spread the wealth. The more scoring options the have the less variance there is in team outcome.

Better players are always better because they provide the team team with more weapons, Nylander is a much much better weapon than Borkstrand is he just is It's not even up for debate.

It's like saying you'd rather have Sam Lafferty over Patrick Kane, which is another conversation I just had.

It doesn't make any sense you ALWAYS take the better player.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
It’s a do or die season after it became clear the team needs impactful changes, if we brought in a GM that’s going to care more about appearances and doing the safe thing the entire management structure from rogers/bell down needs to be fired 3 months ago.
I don't get this do or die stuff. The core of this team is not being changed in the next 5 years. The only thing that will change is that Tavares' salary will be cut in half when he resigns in a couple of years.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I don't get this do or die stuff. The core of this team is not being changed in the next 5 years. The only thing that will change is that Tavares' salary will be cut in half when he resigns in a couple of years.
I wouldn’t say the core of this team is not being changed in the next 5 years… It’s a possibility Nylander walks as a UFA and it would be foolish to re-sign JT for anything substantial after his current deal expires.

I’m for re-signing Nylander but if they can’t come to terms before the season starts, I wouldn’t be against moving him for someone like Byram or Drysdale.

Reactions: Gretzkys99Problems

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

We have 1 longterm piece on D about to hit the wrong side of 30 with a lengthy injury history, our 1 and 2 RW have 1 and 2 seasons left with trade protection and 8 digit contract demands, we don’t have stability at G, we don’t have a 2C ready to go once Tavares ages out, we have precisely 1 LW with top-6 potential and a bunch of mercenaries filling the holes. Our rental budget is running thin and it doesn’t seem like we’re going to flip roster players to refill it.

I cannot see a realistic path to the 2025 Leafs being stronger than this year’s team unless we pull a Kucherov/Vasi/Point out of late 1st to 3rd round picks or get a couple steals in UFA. Maybe we can win with a weaker team on a fluke run where everything goes right but playing this year safe when it’s likely our peak on-ice value with this core is insane, especially when the downside to playing it safe is your 2nd or 3rd most valuable trade piece walking for free next summer.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
We have 1 longterm piece on D about to hit the wrong side of 30 with a lengthy injury history, our 1 and 2 RW have 1 and 2 seasons left with trade protection and 8 digit contract demands, we don’t have stability at G, we don’t have a 2C ready to go once Tavares ages out, we have precisely 1 LW with top-6 potential and a bunch of mercenaries filling the holes. Our rental budget is running thin and it doesn’t seem like we’re going to flip roster players to refill it.

I cannot see a realistic path to the 2025 Leafs being stronger than this year’s team unless we pull a Kucherov/Vasi/Point out of late 1st to 3rd round picks or get a couple steals in UFA. Maybe we can win with a weaker team on a fluke run where everything goes right but playing this year safe when it’s likely our peak on-ice value with this core is insane, especially when the downside to playing it safe is your 2nd or 3rd most valuable trade piece walking for free next summer.
Matthews is already signed, Nylander will almost certainly be signed, and Marner is a virtual lock to be resigned. Tavares has two years left, and I would be absolutely shocked if he doesn't resign with Toronto at the end of this contract, even if it's just a two year small salary deal. That means your forward group is largely set, save for filling out a couple of wingers (and I think the odds are pretty high that Domi resigns in Toronto, as well). Agree that the defense will need to be reworked, but there will be salary available to add guys behind Rielly. I think goaltending will likely be fine with Woll eventually, but even if he isn't the guy history has shown that teams do just fine, and in fact win Cups, with goalies they pick up on short-term deals.

I think this current Leafs team will win the Cup, but even if that isn't the case I don't see any scenario where it is rebuilt until two or more of Matthews, Marner and Nylander are gone, and I don't think that is happening for at least 5 or 6 years.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Why would Toronto retain salary on anyone? Contending teams generally don't do that.
didn't say they would. was just pointing out it was possible for the Avalanche to be cap compliant with a Nylander for Byram + 1st trade. the poster I quoted said it couldn't work because of the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad