Trades and Free Agency Discussion - The Dog Days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I'm going to continue to post it to try to manifest it into happening.

When Kane is ready to sign, I hope we are in the mix.

If he has reasonable salary expectations and wants to go somewhere with a chance to win I’d have to think we would be

Reactions: TMLAM34

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
That would be Vegas, Avs, and maybe TB
He's mentioned in the past that he appreciates the ability to play close to home so that his Dad can drive to his games (his Father has a fear of flying). He was able to drive from Buffalo to Chicago and NY. Vegas, Colorado and Tampa Bay would all make for quite the drive for his Father.

Not the be-all-end-all but something to consider.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Kane would be nice just not sure if he wants to play in Canada

Think he goes to the Sabres around Dec and if they are finally raking the next step can be a big piece for them at top health.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I'm going to continue to post it to try to manifest it into happening.

When Kane is ready to sign, I hope we are in the mix.
If he was willing to take a discount to go for one last cup run that'd be f'in amazing if he wanted to come here.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I can buy Vegas and Colorado, but there is no world in which the Lighting are still Cup contenders. They are done.
They still have Vas. And not like Hedman, Kuch and company dropped off a cliff. Hedman was injured in the playoffs and Kuch is more lazy now but still can do it

Reactions: exporta

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
They still have Vas. And not like Hedman, Kuch and company dropped off a cliff. Hedman was injured in the playoffs and Kuch is more lazy now but still can do it
It will be an unpopular opinion, but I think Vasi was boosted tremendously by how strong Tampa's defense was in those years. That defense is now pretty poor, and it showed in Vasi's numbers all of last season. Tampa has also lost most of its secondary scoring, and while Hagel filled in admirably last season he can't be expected to put up those numbers every season. I think Tampa is simply going through the same thing every sports dynasty does - at some point, the winning stops. It has stopped for Tampa, and they won't get it back.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It will be an unpopular opinion, but I think Vasi was boosted tremendously by how strong Tampa's defense was in those years. That defense is now pretty poor, and it showed in Vasi's numbers all of last season. Tampa has also lost most of its secondary scoring, and while Hagel filled in admirably last season he can't be expected to put up those numbers every season. I think Tampa is simply going through the same thing every sports dynasty does - at some point, the winning stops. It has stopped for Tampa, and they won't get it back.
I think this coming season will be a clear indication of where they are heading.
I really don’t think Vas was boosted by TB defence. Vas is a top goalie.
I do think they are aging and their prospects pool are close to nothing.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Is there a trade market for Vancouver Canucks defenceman Tyler Myers?

That’s not a question I figured to be exploring in September with the season approaching, but owing to a contractual wrinkle, there is a possibility Myers could be on the move.

The 33-year-old veteran blueliner, who is on pace to cross the 1,000-game threshold this year, will see his contract expire at the end of the 2023-24 season. That deal – a five-year, $30-million pact inked back in 2019-20 – is heavily paid by way of signing bonuses. With his $5-million signing bonus for the approaching season now paid, the remaining money owed on Myers’ contract is just $1 million. (Note: Myers does also have a 10-team no trade list.)

With such little real money owed, and with Vancouver in need of cap space, Myers becomes an intriguing trade option – both for teams that may be searching for artificial help to reach the cap floor and for teams that think Myers has some game left in the tank.

The second scenario is the more pertinent one. With such little cap growth around the league in the post-COVID era, teams have had less difficulty reaching the cap floor, so the appetite for contracts where cap hits may dwarf real salary is muted.

But there’s always an appetite for NHL-ready defencemen, and the allure of Myers’ size and skating ability has followed him throughout his career. What hasn’t always followed, unfortunately, is the production.

In fairness to Myers, he’s rarely played in easy situations. The bluelines in Buffalo, Winnipeg, and, most recently, Vancouver have sorely lacked in complementary talent, and nearly all of Myers’ playoff experience is wrapped in just a three-year stretch (2017-20).

To be frank, you had better believe that Myers has been uniquely and disproportionately impeded by the talent he’s played with over the years if you are going to trade for him – especially if you are a contender looking to plug a hole on your blueline at a fraction of the cost.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Is trading Nylander for a d-man and having Kane replace Nylander for this season anything that interests fans? Its a clear downgrade at the position, but Nylander/Kane play the same way.

Just throwing shit against the wall, the off season is almost over thx god.

Reactions: geo25

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Is trading Nylander for a d-man and having Kane replace Nylander for this season anything that interests fans? Its a clear downgrade at the position, but Nylander/Kane play the same way.

Get Kane. Keep Nylander. Also upgrade the D.

Assuming I can’t have all 3 I’m still keeping Nylander.

Reactions: kb and notDatsyuk

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021

It's a good question. I have thought about this a few times.

Sign: P. Kane 1 x $2.75M

Trade: Nylander & Timmins for Oleksiak & Wright

Start Kane on LTIR which gives him chance to fully recover and room for us to ice a full roster without losing anyone to waivers.

Waive people once Kane comes back if we don't have any new injuries. To start the season:

Knies Matthews Bertuzzi
Domi Tavares Marner
Lafferty Kampf Jarnkrok
McCann Gambrell Reaves
(LTIR: Kane)

Rielly Oleksiak
Brodie Klingberg
McCabe Liljegren
Benoit
Giordano

Samsonov
Woll
Jones

Cap compliant, 23-man roster, no one lost to waivers...the F lines can be juggled to include Robertson, Holmberg, Wright, and/or Gregor with McCann and/or Gambrell being sent down.

Once Kane is back, you put him with Bertuzzi and Matthews and slide Knies down and make some moves to send down fourth liners.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
My friend just texted me and said he saw Kane and his family in port credit mississauga at the cousins grocery store. I don’t know what to make of this. Does Kane have any relationships to Toronto at all?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

It really depends who is the Dman?
Connor Murphy for Willie and then sign Kane for a year might just work.
But if that is Myers and plus for Willie and then sign Kane for a season, that won’t work.

One thing I wish would happen is Toews also come back from injury and join Kane in TO and form a 3rd line with Domi.
Could have been any 15 year old and his family.
I couldn’t stop laughing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad