Value of: Trade Winners (10 years)

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
I owuld easily take Schneider over Renne. I am a King's fan and I would hate it but if I am being honest probably over Quick too.

How do you have a list of top goalies in the league and not have Lundqvist?

Because Lundqvist is older than all the goalies I selected. I'd choose Schneids over him at this point aswell. If we're talking about in their 'primes' than it's a whole dif list but at the moment for me,

Price/Quick/Rinne/Holtby/Schneiderman

Even than I'd have Gibson and Bishop pushing for the top 5.

Last edited:

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
I mean he's not an Eichel, McDavid, franchise changing talent.

He hasn't separated himself from the young players that nearly every team in the league has. The Canucks wouldn't be lost without him. The Devils would've been a contender for Matthews without Schneider and were on the bubble right before he went down.

Now I get he's only 21 and has all the time in the world to develop into an impact player. But 3 or whatever years since the trade and comparing the return on investment each team has gotten so far, and the difference in the states of each franchise since the trade and now. Gotta favor the Devils.

At the same time fast forward 3-5 years from now Schneider can be on the decline and Horvat could be just hitting his prime while the Canucks are maybe back on the rise. How big that maybe is remains to be seen.

Good response :). Gotta agree with that.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I owuld easily take Schneider over Renne. I am a King's fan and I would hate it but if I am being honest probably over Quick too.

How do you have a list of top goalies in the league and not have Lundqvist?

I'm a Ranger fan and I have Lundqvist behind Holtby, Schneider, Price, Crawford and maybe even Bishop. If I were to rank the goalies heading into next season.

But I've yet to decide if I'm just overrating Bishop coming off his best career season and simultaneously under rating Lundqvist coming off his worst season playing in front of a horrendous defense with a moronic coach putting the entire roster in a huge position to fail.

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
Joe Thornton trade:

San Jose clearly won, right? Boston has a cup since then though - still no cup for the Sharks. Thornton sticking with the Bruins would have made them better but could have completely changed other decisions that the team made. Winning the Stanley Cup is the ultimate goal and it doesn't really matter what you have to do to get there - it is worth it. So, in a weird way, Boston kind of won that trade. But you can never really know for sure because Thornton could have easily helped them on route to their 2011 victory.

This is my favorite post of the thread. Over 10 years ago, CHECK...No canadian team, CHECK! Well done!

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Because Lundqvist is older than all the goalies I selected. I'd choose Schneids over him at this point aswell. If we're talking about in their 'primes' than it's a whole dif list but at the moment for me,

Price/Quick/Rinne/Holtby/Schneiderman

Even than I'd have Gibson and Bishop pushing for the top 5.

Rinne should be nowhere near the top 5 anymore if you are talking about goalies currently in their primes. In 3 of his last 4 seasons, his save % is .910 or below.

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
I mean he's not an Eichel, McDavid, franchise changing talent.

He hasn't separated himself from the young players that nearly every team in the league has. The Canucks wouldn't be lost without him. The Devils would've been a contender for Matthews without Schneider and were on the bubble right before he went down.

Now I get he's only 21 and has all the time in the world to develop into an impact player. But 3 or whatever years since the trade and comparing the return on investment each team has gotten so far, and the difference in the states of each franchise since the trade and now. Gotta favor the Devils.

At the same time fast forward 3-5 years from now Schneider can be on the decline and Horvat could be just hitting his prime while the Canucks are maybe back on the rise. How big that maybe is remains to be seen.

While there's no doubt that NJ is currently winning that trade, I think you're also downplaying the value of Horvat in Vancouver. He's arguably looking like one of the best prospect we've had since the Sedins and Kesler. If he was removed from our lineup our current and future outlooks would be significantly weaker. It would be downright depressing actually.

Whether or not every other team has a Horvat (which I disagree with), without that trade we wouldn't have anyone like him on our team or in our prospect pool. His value to us is probably significantly greater than the value you place on him.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
While there's no doubt that NJ is currently winning that trade, I think you're also downplaying the value of Horvat in Vancouver. He's arguably looking like one of the best prospect we've had since the Sedins and Kesler. If he was removed from our lineup our current and future outlooks would be significantly weaker. It would be downright depressing actually.

Whether or not every other team has a Horvat (which I disagree with), without that trade we wouldn't have anyone like him on our team or in our prospect pool. His value to us is probably significantly greater than the value you place on him.

Fair enough. Maybe I just place more value on what you have in the present as opposed to potential.

As I said if the Canucks can turn this around within the next 3-5 years at which point Schneider would be on the decline (and you'd have no use for him through a rebuild) and Horvat just hits his prime then perhaps the Canucks actually won in the long term.

Problem is I don't think the Canucks were thinking that far ahead. Maybe you guys will get lucky and the timing will be right. God knows you guys deserve some luck like that.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It's a trade deadline deal, really hard to put that in prospective.

In fact, you might argue that Dano and a first isn't good value for Ladd, expect he had an expiring contract.

The Jets certainly aren't a better team without Ladd.

Jets have Dano and Stanley. Hawks have a brief memory of Ladd. Neither team was going to re-sign Ladd. Jets will be better because they have Laine and Ehlers and Connor to fill the LW spot, and that will be better than Ladd in the very near future.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Fair enough. Maybe I just place more value on what you have in the present as opposed to potential.

As I said if the Canucks can turn this around within the next 3-5 years at which point Schneider would be on the decline (and you'd have no use for him through a rebuild) and Horvat just hits his prime then perhaps the Canucks actually won in the long term.

Problem is I don't think the Canucks were thinking that far ahead. Maybe you guys will get lucky and the timing will be right. God knows you guys deserve some luck like that.

When you look at just the players value right now its a no brainer. Schneider is one of the more valuable players in the whole league. But the other factors are the Canucks had so much more goaltending depth and even this many yrs later trading our starting goalie each yr we still have depth at the position so keeping Schneider I doubt really does much for this team. Just as he doesn't do much for NJ in the sense he just keeps a really bad team from getting a better draft pick. If Horvat becomes the top 6 center he almost certainly will the Canucks made a good trade.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Bertuzzi, Allen and Auld for Luongo and Krajicek. Canucks beat the Panthers.

Ehrhoff and Lukowich for White and Rahimi. Easy win for the Canucks, a budget move for the Sharks.

That's about it. The only other coup I can think of was the Naslund trade, but that was more luck then anything.

EDIT: and wowe closers to twenty years ago. Yikes.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
I'm using 2005-current... and ignoring trades for minor league/fringe players or pick-only trades

For Ottawa ... I'd say overall their trades with USA teams in this period have been fairly been, with a few good wins (Turris, Anderson), a few good hockey trades (Methot, Lehner) and a few obvious losses (Havlat/Bishop).

Hossa/de Vries for Heatley (fair value)
Bochenski/2nd for Arnason (Ottawa loses)
Havlat/Smolinksi for Preissing/Barinka/Hennessy/2nd (Ottawa loses)
Kaigorodov for Comrie (Ottawa wins)
2nd rounder pick for (rental) Saprykin (fair)
Schaefer for Donovan (fair)
Corvo/Eaves for Commodore/Stillman (fair)
6th round pick for Marty Lapointe (fair)
Meszaros for Kuba/Picard/1st (fair)
McAmmond/1st for Campoli/Comrie (fair)
Vermette for Leclaire/2nd (fair)
Heatley trade (evenin the long run)
Picard/2nd for Cullen (fair)
2nd for Sutton (fair)
1st for Rundblad (fair)
Fisher for 1st (fair)
Kelly for 2nd (fair)
Ruutu for 6th (fair)
Elliot for Anderson (Ottawa wins)
Kovalev for 7th (fair)
Compoli for 2nd/Potulny (fair)
3rd for Filatov (justified risk - fair at the time)
Klinkhammer for 7th (fair)
Turris for Rundblad/2nd (Ottawa wins)
Bishop of 2nd (Ottawa wins)
Gilroy for Lee (everybody loses)
Foligno for Methot (win-win)
Kassian for 4th (fair)
Conacher/4th for Bishop (Ottawa gets bent over)
Ryan trade (fair)
Spezza trade (slight edge to Dallas - depending on Nick Paul)
Lehner/Legwand for 21st overall (fair)
Prince for 3rd (fair)

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
I'm using 2005-current... and ignoring trades for minor league/fringe players or pick-only trades

For Ottawa ... I'd say overall their trades with USA teams in this period have been fairly been, with a few good wins (Turris, Anderson), a few good hockey trades (Methot, Lehner) and a few obvious losses (Havlat/Bishop).

Hossa/de Vries for Heatley (fair value)
Bochenski/2nd for Arnason (Ottawa loses)
Havlat/Smolinksi for Preissing/Barinka/Hennessy/2nd (Ottawa loses)
Kaigorodov for Comrie (Ottawa wins)
2nd rounder pick for (rental) Saprykin (fair)
Schaefer for Donovan (fair)
Corvo/Eaves for Commodore/Stillman (fair)
6th round pick for Marty Lapointe (fair)
Meszaros for Kuba/Picard/1st (fair)
McAmmond/1st for Campoli/Comrie (fair)
Vermette for Leclaire/2nd (fair)
Heatley trade (evenin the long run)
Picard/2nd for Cullen (fair)
2nd for Sutton (fair)
1st for Rundblad (fair)
Fisher for 1st (fair)
Kelly for 2nd (fair)
Ruutu for 6th (fair)
Elliot for Anderson (Ottawa wins)
Kovalev 2nd/Potulny (fair)
3rd for Filatov (justified risk - fair at the time)
Klinkhammer for 7th (fair)
Turris for Rundblad/2nd (Ottawa wins)
Bishop of 2nd (Ottawa wins)
Gilroy for Lee (everybody loses)
Foligno for Methot (win-win)
Kassian for 4th (fair)
Conacher/4th for Bishop (Ottawa gets bent over)
Ryan trade (fair)
Spezza trade (slight edge to Dallas - depending on Nick Paul)
Lehner/Legwand for 21st overall (fair)
Prince for 3rd (fair) for 7th (fair)
Compoli for

:laugh::laugh:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Tim Erixon?

I think we won that trade with NYR.

Tim Erixon for 2 2nds (Wotherspoon + Granlund) and Roman Horak. We still have TSpoon, traded Horak for Smid, traded Granlund for Shinkaruk.

I don't know what Erixon's value was when he was traded from NYR two seasons later, but it doesn't seem like it was as much as the above in the Nash trade.

Erixon + Anisimov + Dubinsky + 1st (Rychel) FOR Nash + Delisle + Conditional 3rd

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
a little early no? we turned Kessel into Andersen and Kapanen. strong playoffs aside, Kessel wasnt a fit in the top 6 and only had 59pts....

Kessel
Biggs
Erixson
Pitts 2nd 2016 (they traded it to us in the Winnik deal) - Bjorkqvist

for

Andersen (Pit 1st - Steel to Anaheim + SJS 2nd lol Polak & Spaling [who we got in this deal so it basically was Spaling & Pit 1st for Andersen])
Kapanen
Rychel (Traded Harrington 1 for 1)
NJD 3rd - Greenway

I fail to see how we lost it yet lol, especially seeing how we basically only could trade Kessel to one team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad