Value of: Trade Winners (10 years)

Sweoilers

Jun 14, 2015
No they couldn't. The Oilers never get anything to show for 2nd round(or later) picks.

Just from the top of my mind Brandon Davidson, but I understand what you mean. We can't draft in the second round. The only player that I can think of that has cracked our lineup from the second round in resent years is Lander.
However with the new regime I think we have drafted much better so hopefully we will have some prospect knocking on the door soon. Yakimov and the other Russian that I can't spell:laugh:

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I have to argue against the Blues losing the Perron trade. You guys have no idea just how bad he actually was for us before the trade. Hell if we had gotten nothing back at all it would still be considered a win for losing his cap hit.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
And the Sens did good in that deal. 9MM was a huge part of this team for years, while Heatley was moved again not long after and well we all know where he is now.

And as for the Ryan Deal. As a sems fan id do that deal again all day long. Sure Ritchie could be good. But other than that we gave up nothing great for what was a top RW at the time, and now is still an effective top 6 guy.

For the Spezza deal, it looks bad for the sens yes. But we had no control over that, Spezza had complete control over where he went. Paul and Gagne (the pick we got from Dallas was the main thing we used to move up and get Gagne) both look like great prospects and both have a future in pre hockey, their effectiveness is still yet to be seen.

Honestly I see the Spezza deal equal.
Everyone knew he was leaving and he had 1 year left on his deal. Good for Ottawa to get something back for an asset that was gonna turn into nothing

cdmcln

Mar 28, 2015
Joe Thornton trade:

San Jose clearly won, right? Boston has a cup since then though - still no cup for the Sharks. Thornton sticking with the Bruins would have made them better but could have completely changed other decisions that the team made. Winning the Stanley Cup is the ultimate goal and it doesn't really matter what you have to do to get there - it is worth it. So, in a weird way, Boston kind of won that trade. But you can never really know for sure because Thornton could have easily helped them on route to their 2011 victory.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Sens > Coyotes (Kyle Turris for David Rundblad+)

Agree with previous Senators fans in regards to the Ryan deal. I don't even like Ryan all that much, and hate the extension he signed, but the trade itself isn't that bad at all (depending on what Nick Ritchie becomes). As of now though Ryan > Silfverberg + Noesen.

And the Spezza deall, well, we just won't talk about that one.

NJRockinRoller

May 14, 2014
Kind of remarkable run of trades for NJ of late, which has catapulted them to a place where they can see competitiveness in the distance a lot sooner than otherwise expected:

NJD Schneider
VAN #9 2013 (Horvat)

NJD Palmieri
ANA RD2 2015, RD3 2015

NJD Hall
EDM Larsson

Prior to that:

NJD Kovalchuk, Salmella Rd2 2010 (Merrill)
ATL Oduya, Bergfors, Cormier, Rd1 2010, Rd2 2010

That trade propelled them to Game 6 of SCF in 2012. That was an incredible trade any way you stack it. You can anaylyze and critique the "Kovalchuk experience" on the whole but the trade itself was brilliant, esp considering you even were able to get an NHL D-man in Merrill with the Rd2 pick to boot.

They have had a clunker or two as well - Tuomo Ruutu (?) - but the NJD trade history last 6 years has been pretty darn good.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Sens > Coyotes (Kyle Turris for David Rundblad+)

Agree with previous Senators fans in regards to the Ryan deal. I don't even like Ryan all that much, and hate the extension he signed, but the trade itself isn't that bad at all (depending on what Nick Ritchie becomes). As of now though Ryan > Silfverberg + Noesen.

And the Spezza deall, well, we just won't talk about that one.

looking back what a fleecing by the sens.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
It's a trade deadline deal, really hard to put that in prospective.

In fact, you might argue that Dano and a first isn't good value for Ladd, expect he had an expiring contract.

The Jets certainly aren't a better team without Ladd.

Agree, far too early to judge this one.

At the same time though the Jets were destined to miss the playoffs and with Scheifele and Trouba coming off their ELCs the Jets didn't necessarily have room to sign Ladd for what he wanted. So they did turn an expiring asset into something decent. Of course by decent I mean it remains to be seen what comes of Dano and the first (Stanley). I don't think Dano will ever be at Ladd's caliber of player and Stanley is certainly an "interesting" prospect, but they did add to their prospect pool by moving a guy they weren't going to re-sign. Win? Maybe, maybe not. Good asset management? Absolutely.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Forgive me if someone's posted it already, but what about:
St Louis over Ottawa

Ottawa receives David Rundblad
St Louis receives 17th overall (Vladimir Tarasenko)

EDIT: The offer sheet to Penner also had an interesting consequence on the Oilers. The Islanders had the Oilers 3rd round pick that they needed to get back so they traded Anaheim's 2nd round pick for Allen Rouke and the 3rd round pick. Islanders then picked Travis Hamonic.

Last edited:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Just from the top of my mind Brandon Davidson, but I understand what you mean. We can't draft in the second round. The only player that I can think of that has cracked our lineup from the second round in resent years is Lander.
However with the new regime I think we have drafted much better so hopefully we will have some prospect knocking on the door soon. Yakimov and the other Russian that I can't spell:laugh:
petry was drafted in the second round. And I think yakimov and shlep were mactavish picks

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Bolded I have some thoughts about. The Ryan move is still up in the air. Silf is good but isn't better than Ryan. Noesen is closer to becoming a bust. Ritchie will be the deciding factor. At this moment I would say this is more even.

Kessel trade. I think this is one of the few that both teams lost. Kessel was good in TOR for a while but became the whipping boy. BOS could be considered the winner based on their cup win but neither Seguin or Hamilton stuck around and they really didn't get good returns for either.

Sharks trade was with the Senators. That's all I have to say about that.

The Sutter trade was pretty even. Sutter played pretty well before being injured. Obviously Bonino played a big part in the Pens cup win but I think that it was still pretty even.

I think the Hamilton return is still up in there air as much as the Ryan return is... probably more so. Senyshyn, JFK and Lauzon are all very good prospects, and its still unclear if Hamilton is going to be a 1, 2 or 3 long term.

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
TL,DR (beyond the first sentence at least) Schneider is a top 5 if not top 3 goalie in the league.

Horvat is a dime a dozen good young player.

Devils have a good shot at making the playoffs this season. Canucks do not, for a very long time. If we're talking about the state of both franchises.

No he's top 5, I'd take Quick/Price/Renne/Holtby over him, not bad company to be in regardless.

Gonna need you to expand on the bolded part, how is he a dime a dozen player?

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
The Leafs could have landed Andersen with their own 2nd, so you don't get to credit the Kessel deal for him. Kapanen is a meh prospect and I will be beyond shocked if he's ever a major contributor to a Cup win, never mind with the Leafs, and never mind that the Leafs have so much young forward depth that he's pretty redundant; for example, the Leafs acquired Kerby Rychel for a song and I like him more than Kapanen. Greenway is a nothing. The Kessel trade was bad for the Leafs on value. They lost the trade in value. That isn't arguable. Whether or not the trade actualy ends up benefiting the Leafs is up in their air. But that the Leafs lost the trade is not debatable. You cannot say you won a trade that you lost in terms of value because you wanted to get worse. And in terms of value the Leafs didn't get nearly enough for Kessel. End of story.

Kapanen scored at .56 ppg rate as a junior aged player in the AHL, which is quite impressive.
Your "Greenway is nothing" analysis shows how much you know about him.
Rychel came from Harrington do its safe to say that he's apart of this

So the Leafs get a starting goaltender, 2 Top 6 forward prospects, and a 6'5" dman who was ppg at the U18s.

This is why this trade is too early to tell, because if it pans out for the Leafs then they win this trade.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Here's a list of MTL trades in the last 10 years. I didn't included those who were fair for both teams.

DAL > MTL: Niinimaa vs. Ribeiro
NYR > MTL: Gomez, Pyatt, Busto vs. Higgins, McDonagh, Valatenko
CAR > MTL: Kaberle vs. Spacek
CHI > MTL: Shaw vs. 2 2nd round picks
WSH > MTL: Weber vs. Subban

MTL > SHS: Rivert vs. Gorges and a first (Pacioretty)
MTL > COL: O'Byrne vs. Bournival
MTL > CLB: Wiesniewski vs. 3rd (Hudon)
MTL > NSH: A.Kostitsyn vs. 2nd (De La Rose)
MTL > TBL: Desjardins vs. Tokarski
MTL > NYI: Collberg, 2nd vs. Vanek and a 5th
MTL > WSH: Eller vs. 2 2nd round picks

So yeah... you could say it's pretty even, but then you look how awful most of the bad deals were, and it doesn't even anything out. The only CLEAR good trade being the Rivert/Gorges one and at some extend, the Eller trade.

not sure when the Capitals ever had Shea Weber....

kb

Aug 28, 2009
The Leafs could have landed Andersen with their own 2nd, so you don't get to credit the Kessel deal for him. Kapanen is a meh prospect and I will be beyond shocked if he's ever a major contributor to a Cup win, never mind with the Leafs, and never mind that the Leafs have so much young forward depth that he's pretty redundant; for example, the Leafs acquired Kerby Rychel for a song and I like him more than Kapanen. Greenway is a nothing. The Kessel trade was bad for the Leafs on value. They lost the trade in value. That isn't arguable. Whether or not the trade actualy ends up benefiting the Leafs is up in their air. But that the Leafs lost the trade is not debatable. You cannot say you won a trade that you lost in terms of value because you wanted to get worse. And in terms of value the Leafs didn't get nearly enough for Kessel. End of story.

This doesn't even make sense when you factor into it the cap space that the Leafs got as well - this has to be figured out into the "value" equation - and not just for now, but also the full length of his contract. Yes, they took the lesser return, but also gained huge on cap space.....which may have been the biggest asset returned in the trade from the Leafs POV - this year and especially going forward as Kessel continues on his downward trend in points. Case in point, if he puts up 59 for the Leafs this season, his contract begins to look untradeable.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
No he's top 5, I'd take Quick/Price/Renne/Holtby over him, not bad company to be in regardless.

I mean he's not an Eichel, McDavid, franchise changing talent.

He hasn't separated himself from the young players that nearly every team in the league has. The Canucks wouldn't be lost without him. The Devils would've been a contender for Matthews without Schneider and were on the bubble right before he went down.

Now I get he's only 21 and has all the time in the world to develop into an impact player. But 3 or whatever years since the trade and comparing the return on investment each team has gotten so far, and the difference in the states of each franchise since the trade and now. Gotta favor the Devils.

At the same time fast forward 3-5 years from now Schneider can be on the decline and Horvat could be just hitting his prime while the Canucks are maybe back on the rise. How big that maybe is remains to be seen.

Last edited:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

I owuld easily take Schneider over Renne. I am a King's fan and I would hate it but if I am being honest probably over Quick too.

How do you have a list of top goalies in the league and not have Lundqvist?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad