Value of: Trade Winners (10 years)

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
I had a debate with my friend last night from the (US). We debated the most recent trades (Montreal/Nash and Edm/NJ). He said over the last 10 years Canadian teams mostly lost thier trades. Being Canadian of course i said no this is not correct. So in your opinion in the last 10 years which Canadian teams have won trades and which American teams have won trades. It has to be a Canadian team trading with an American team not Canadian teams trading with each other or American teams trading with each other.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Some major trades off the top of my head:
Rangers>Habs for Gomez
Stars>Senators for Spezza
Ducks>Oilers for Pronger
Ducks>Senators for Ryan
Penguins>Leafs for Kessel
Bruins>Leafs for Kessel
Sharks>Oilers for Heatley edit meant Sharks obviously
Ducks>Canucks for Kesler
Penguins>Canucks for Sutter/Bonino
Bruins>Leafs for Rask
Rangers>Flames for Prust not that major but Prust took off once he got here

One trade that Canada won was:
Leafs>Flyers for JVR

Unfortunately I think your friend in this instance was correct.

Last edited:

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
The Sharks would like to give back Craig Rivet to the Habs and take back Josh Gorges and Max Pac.

Yeah, but we may not have drafted max Pac to begin with and that was a deadline deal. Unless you win the cup you almost always lose those. A lot of the trades pointed out above were supposed to be hockey trades which just turned out to be as bad.

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
If you go back a but further than 10 years..... the Yashin trade still haunts the isles

mytduxfan*

Rangers>Habs for Gomez
Ducks>Oilers for Pronger
Ducks>Senators for Ryan
Bruins>Leafs for Kessel
Sharks>Oilers for Heatley
Ducks>Canucks for Kesler
Bruins>Leafs for Rask

Leafs>Flyers for JVR

The Ducks doing pretty well on that list. However, more recently:

NJ>Duck for Palms.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
It's a tad early to be laying down the verdict on that one.

The Isles got significantly more value in that deal. You're counting on a miracle from Reinhart just to even it up. Even if none of the 3 make the NHL, the Oilers lose because they could have done more with those assets.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Rangers>Habs for Gomez
Ducks>Oilers for Pronger
Ducks>Senators for Ryan
Bruins>Leafs for Kessel
Sharks>Oilers for Heatley
Ducks>Canucks for Kesler
Bruins>Leafs for Rask

Leafs>Flyers for JVR

Bolded I have some thoughts about. The Ryan move is still up in the air. Silf is good but isn't better than Ryan. Noesen is closer to becoming a bust. Ritchie will be the deciding factor. At this moment I would say this is more even.

Kessel trade. I think this is one of the few that both teams lost. Kessel was good in TOR for a while but became the whipping boy. BOS could be considered the winner based on their cup win but neither Seguin or Hamilton stuck around and they really didn't get good returns for either.

Sharks trade was with the Senators. That's all I have to say about that.

The Sutter trade was pretty even. Sutter played pretty well before being injured. Obviously Bonino played a big part in the Pens cup win but I think that it was still pretty even.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
From the Sens, I'm not sure I agree that the Ducks won the Ryan trade. Silfverberg is a good player, he's not as good as Ryan though and we haven't seen anything from Noesen and Ritchie in the NHL just yet. It'll be interesting to see but right now can't call it a win for the Ducks or the Senators.

Other deals from the Sens...

Ottawa = Columbus for the Methot vs Foligno trade

Ottawa > Arizona for the Kyle Turris vs Runblad + 2nd trade

St-Louis > Ottawa for the Runblad for 1rst trade

Ottawa > Nashville for the Picks trade that got the Sens Karlsson

Obviously lost the Spezza deal.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Sharks trade was with the Senators. That's all I have to say about that.

And the Sens did good in that deal. 9MM was a huge part of this team for years, while Heatley was moved again not long after and well we all know where he is now.

And as for the Ryan Deal. As a sems fan id do that deal again all day long. Sure Ritchie could be good. But other than that we gave up nothing great for what was a top RW at the time, and now is still an effective top 6 guy.

For the Spezza deal, it looks bad for the sens yes. But we had no control over that, Spezza had complete control over where he went. Paul and Gagne (the pick we got from Dallas was the main thing we used to move up and get Gagne) both look like great prospects and both have a future in pre hockey, their effectiveness is still yet to be seen.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The Isles got significantly more value in that deal. You're counting on a miracle from Reinhart just to even it up. Even if none of the 3 make the NHL, the Oilers lose because they could have done more with those assets.

The Isles got two draft picks and now we're playing the waiting game on three prospects. Look at the draft history for pick 16 and 32 and tell me they got 'significantly more value'.

BigTruzz

Jul 19, 2011
Surrey
Ehrhoff and Lukowich to Vancouver for Patrick White and Daniel Rahimi.

2 garbage prospects for a top pairing dman on a Stanley Cup contender.

huntison

Aug 12, 2008
Canucks trade Bieksa for a 2nd to Anaheim. Not the biggest trade in the world but Anaheim thinks he's hot garbage.

chatty4756

Apr 6, 2016
Lupul and gardiner for beauchemin
Franson and lombardi for lebda and slaney
Colborne and picks for kaberle
Clarkson for horton has turned out to be a pretty good deal since it gives us extra cap space every year
Giguere for blake and toskala

member 202355

I had a debate with my friend last night from the (US). We debated the most recent trades (Montreal/Nash and Edm/NJ). He said over the last 10 years Canadian teams mostly lost thier trades. Being Canadian of course i said no this is not correct. So in your opinion in the last 10 years which Canadian teams have won trades and which American teams have won trades. It has to be a Canadian team trading with an American team not Canadian teams trading with each other or American teams trading with each other.

What the ****? Why do you as a Canadian feel the need to defend Canadian teams' bad track record with trades? It's almost a fact that American teams have come out on top. Why even debate that ****.

Thierry

May 30, 2006
Montreal
Here's a list of MTL trades in the last 10 years. I didn't included those who were fair for both teams.

DAL > MTL: Niinimaa vs. Ribeiro
NYR > MTL: Gomez, Pyatt, Busto vs. Higgins, McDonagh, Valatenko
CAR > MTL: Kaberle vs. Spacek
CHI > MTL: Shaw vs. 2 2nd round picks
WSH > MTL: Weber vs. Subban

MTL > SHS: Rivert vs. Gorges and a first (Pacioretty)
MTL > COL: O'Byrne vs. Bournival
MTL > CLB: Wiesniewski vs. 3rd (Hudon)
MTL > NSH: A.Kostitsyn vs. 2nd (De La Rose)
MTL > TBL: Desjardins vs. Tokarski
MTL > NYI: Collberg, 2nd vs. Vanek and a 5th
MTL > WSH: Eller vs. 2 2nd round picks

So yeah... you could say it's pretty even, but then you look how awful most of the bad deals were, and it doesn't even anything out. The only CLEAR good trade being the Rivert/Gorges one and at some extend, the Eller trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad