McKenzie: Trade talks really heating up over last week

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Give it a month or so. There are alot of teams who still think they could be in the mix and will likely fall off by mid DEC

Might be a bit longer due to loser points. I mean I am sure Arizona is probably willing to deal but I doubt even Vegas would at this point.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I like your thinking, we'll take Zacha and Blackwood off their hands for them.
I think that's a good deal for us. Zacha can be sheltered from tough competition, and he could be an excellent 3C for us by providing extra offense. And we could really use another solid goalie prospect in Blackwood. Now I have no idea if that's good for NJ though.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I think that's a good deal for us. Zacha can be sheltered from tough competition, and he could be an excellent 3C for us by providing extra offense. And we could really use another solid goalie prospect in Blackwood. Now I have no idea if that's good for NJ though.

We're set at goalie for the forseeable future, so I wouldn't consider Blackwood off limits by any means. I'd probably want a little something extra coming back with Vatanen if we're including Blackwood with Zacha, a 3rd round pick perhaps?

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Give it up.JVR doesn't get you Murray.Not even close.

Leafs fans are having a really hard time accepting the fact that an unsinged JVR get you a 2nd rounder at the deadline, or more likely, he gets you 2nd round playoff exit and then leaves for jack squat

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Comeau has 4 goals on the year. 3 in his last 5. He's depth scoring yes. Didn't see they were looking for top 6 scoring. Comeau isn't a bad option right now. He's off to a pretty good start (8 points in 16 games).

If the Panthers want a proven top 6 are they brave enough to pay for it?

P.s. bottom 6ers aren't all grinders.

I know who Blake Comeau is. He'll have value to someone at the deadline, like I said. He doesn't have value to someone looking for a scoring F.

The Avs need D, if I said, "Hey you guys should trade for Marc Staal to improve your D" you'd laugh me off as crazy. Staal might be a better player than the #6 guy on your team, but as a whole, he's not really what you are looking for.

Comeau isn't what Florida is looking for. But yeah, I can see a team sending you a 3rd come the dealdine.

Last edited:

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I am a Leaf fan and I don't think that the Buds hold all the cards. Ron Hainsey is killing all (or most) of the penalties right now. The Leafs need a D man if they want to stay in the playoff hunt and do damage in the post season. The leafs will have to man-up and cough-up. Yes the Leafs have depth at D, but only depth for the 6-7 D position.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Looks like the Flames may be a team that can be added to the list of those looking for a goalie. I wonder if that leads to a bidding war for someone like Hutch.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
No point in discussing Leaf trades. I think they are sitting tight outside of a block buster. Moving guys like Bokak and JVR for bottom 4 D does nothing for us, and we won't get a #1 D or even a young top pairing D for guys we are willing to move. Even if we dangled Marner there isn't a deal that makes sense.

Only thing that makes sense is something like Bozak for draft picks, but it weakens the current roster. I honestly think this Leafs roster is going into the playoffs as is, maybe there is a big deal at the TDL but unlikely.

1. Bozak for picks makes the least sense out of JVR, Bozak, Komarov - only one without replacements.
2. Komarov could be easily replaced with Leivo, Kapanen, Sosh or Brown from the 4th line.
3. The Leafs will lose Sosh or Leivo unless a trade is made, so I doubt their sitting tight ATM.
4. Dangling Marner opens up every D outside the top 20...I'm sure something would make sense.

Not that we should trade Marner....we have less business doing that than you have posting your opinion...

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Leafs fans are having a really hard time accepting the fact that an unsinged JVR get you a 2nd rounder at the deadline, or more likely, he gets you 2nd round playoff exit and then leaves for jack squat

JVR is someone that the Sharks would love to have instead of the neverending carousel on their top line. but they really don't have the assets to spend on what could end up being nothing more than a rental.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Except that every trade of a JVR level player in recent history at the deadline has produced significantly more.

JVR is someone that the Sharks would love to have instead of the neverending carousel on their top line. but they really don't have the assets to spend on what could end up being nothing more than a rental.

Realistically, no team should be making a move for JVR unless they think this is the year, and more offense/better PP is something they need. Or if they believe they can resign him I guess.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
I have no clue why none of the teams in need of a center (including my NYR) didnt give Shipachyov a chance.

Some reported that the reason why it did not work for Anaheim was because of his bonus. Probably the same reason for the other teams too

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
We're set at goalie for the forseeable future, so I wouldn't consider Blackwood off limits by any means. I'd probably want a little something extra coming back with Vatanen if we're including Blackwood with Zacha, a 3rd round pick perhaps?

I would do that deal no problem

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
There have been worse pending UFAs than JVR that have gone for more than a 2nd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad