McKenzie: Trade talks really heating up over last week

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Something around Henrique (or Zacha) for Vatanen?

We need D, the Ducks need a C, plus both players end up in the other conference which is always nice.

Wait, is Zacha seriously up for trade discussion with Devils fans?

I get that Vatanen is a really good acquisition and will be highly prized. I just figured at age 20 Zacha would be off the table for a move so soon into his career. Henrique I get.

Reactions: Arthuros

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US

I get that Vatanen is a really good acquisition and will be highly prized. I just figured at age 20 Zacha would be off the table for a move so soon into his career. Henrique I get.

It's not that we want to trade Zacha, he's played well for the most part and we're certainly not looking to offload him for a meager return, but you have to give to get.

We desperately need another top 4 defenceman with some experience (think Vatanen, de Haan, Tanev etc) and those don't come cheap. Now that Zajac is healthy we've got enough depth down the middle to absorb the loss of one of our good centers, especially with Hischier being better than expected and McLeod waiting in the wings.

It's just a case of trading from an area of strength to address a weakness, picks and unproven prospects alone likely won't be enough to return the calibre of defenceman we need.

I'd love to keep Zacha, but we can absolutely afford to part with him if it brings back a substantial defensive upgrade.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I am confused, is Ryan Murray good again? This offseason even CBJ fans had him 5th or 6th, definitely bottom pairing. Is a 60pt winger not worth a #4-6?
I would be interested in knowing who actually said that, because consensus this offseason was that he went from "potential regular top pairing guy" to "#2-3D stuck in a depth situation".

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Zacha has been shuffled around the lineup and is likely a healthy scratch in TOR on Thursday. Considering NJ has iced Hayes over him in a game and likely Noesen in Thursday there is some speculation that management may be losing a little patience. Just a few stray rambling thoughts and the overwhelming majority of NJ fans don’t see Zacha on the outs. Most are just unhappy with his recent usage and at his age he either needs to be playing regularly in the bottom 6 in thr NHL or first line AHL but the team shouldn’t sit him for anything more than the odd game or two.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I am confused, is Ryan Murray good again? This offseason even CBJ fans had him 5th or 6th, definitely bottom pairing. Is a 60pt winger not worth a #4-6?

No, I think you probably saw Avs fans saying that in the Duchene threads. You know how it is, you propose a player and the opposing team's hfboards fans tell you why he has no value.

If a Pens fan offered Malkin, we would hear how he's a 2C.

Reactions: Viqsi

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Not willing to trade Vats for anyone on a contract shorter than his, or more expensive. So basically someone just as cost controlled as Vats or more.

Capfriendly suggests the Ducks don’t have much wiggle room on the cap so that makes sense. Does ANA have any cap dump that will last this season and next to pair with Vats to allow for more flexibility?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It's not that we want to trade Zacha, he's played well for the most part and we're certainly not looking to offload him for a meager return, but you have to give to get.

We desperately need another top 4 defenceman with some experience (think Vatanen, de Haan, Tanev etc) and those don't come cheap. Now that Zajac is healthy we've got enough depth down the middle to absorb the loss of one of our good centers, especially with Hischier being better than expected and McLeod waiting in the wings.

It's just a case of trading from an area of strength to address a weakness, picks and unproven prospects alone likely won't be enough to return the calibre of defenceman we need.

I'd love to keep Zacha, but we can absolutely afford to part with him if it brings back a substantial defensive upgrade.

I think any 1 of Henrique zacha or palmeiri is a reasonable starting point for vatanen.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Capfriendly suggests the Ducks don’t have much wiggle room on the cap so that makes sense. Does ANA have any cap dump that will last this season and next to pair with Vats to allow for more flexibility?
How about Perry? I know he doesn't fit your requirements, but he's really the only cap dump we have. Bieksa contract is done at the end of the season so it doesn't make sense to send him off and lower Vats value.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Going to be interesting to see what Bergevin pulls off because unlike most GMs he has big cap space to take on large long term contracts without offsetting moves going the other way.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Going to be interesting to see what Bergevin pulls off because unlike most GMs he has big cap space to take on large long term contracts without offsetting moves going the other way.
If I were Habs fans, I would be shaking in my boots at the prospect of another MB trade coming down the pipe.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Yeah exactly. Even moving forward beyond this year, it seems every penny that could potentially become available, can already be earmarked for raises to vital players. The Manson and Fowler raises kick in next year, eating up all the expiring cap from Bieksa, Vermette & Boll, with new contracts needed for Gibson and Silfverberg soon after. I worry there isn't enough room to even offer Cogliano a proper raise.

As far as cap dumps, there really isn't much dead money on the books beyond this season. Holzer at 900k for next year is redundant, other than that - everyone else signed for next year would be considered a key contributor. Vatanen really is the most replaceable piece we can use to reallocate salary moving forward, preferably in a deal that actually creates at least some wiggle room.

That's unless someone wants to help us out of Perry's contract in the next couple years. Can't see it.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Yeah exactly. Even moving forward beyond this year, it seems every penny that could potentially become available, can already be earmarked for raises to vital players. The Manson and Fowler raises kick in next year, eating up all the expiring cap from Bieksa, Vermette & Boll, with new contracts needed for Gibson and Silfverberg soon after. I worry there isn't enough room to even offer Cogliano a proper raise.

As far as cap dumps, there really isn't much dead money on the books beyond this season. Holzer at 900k for next year is redundant, other than that - everyone else signed for next year would be considered a key contributor. Vatanen really is the most replaceable piece we can use to reallocate salary moving forward, preferably in a deal that actually creates at least some wiggle room.

That's unless someone wants to help us out of Perry's contract in the next couple years. Can't see it.

Agree with everything.

I don't think we move Perry. His production is down, but I don't think he waives it and our GM probably never even asks.

For that reason, the Zacha+ for Vatanen makes a lot of sense for both teams. She salary, young center with potential, possibly more picks or another forward/goalie prospect coming back.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Agree with everything.

I don't think we move Perry. His production is down, but I don't think he waives it and our GM probably never even asks.

For that reason, the Zacha+ for Vatanen makes a lot of sense for both teams. She salary, young center with potential, possibly more picks or another forward/goalie prospect coming back.

I like your thinking, we'll take Zacha and Blackwood off their hands for them.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
If I were Habs fans, I would be shaking in my boots at the prospect of another MB trade coming down the pipe.

Fake news, he's actually a pretty solid trader. Don't believe the nonsense you read here or on the Habs forum (which is a cesspool). He's been heavily maligned because of people bitter about the Subban trade, but that was never a pure hockey trade. Also by people critical of his inability to get a prime age #1 center - for cheap (as if they grow on trees). For these haters of course Drouin doesn't count.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Yeah, Murray is good again. Has been playing like somewhere between CBJ's #1 (first 5 games) and their #3 (last ten games).

I cannot defend any of the CBJ fans that said he was a #5-6, but they did exist.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
No point in discussing Leaf trades. I think they are sitting tight outside of a block buster. Moving guys like Bokak and JVR for bottom 4 D does nothing for us, and we won't get a #1 D or even a young top pairing D for guys we are willing to move. Even if we dangled Marner there isn't a deal that makes sense.

Only thing that makes sense is something like Bozak for draft picks, but it weakens the current roster. I honestly think this Leafs roster is going into the playoffs as is, maybe there is a big deal at the TDL but unlikely.

I'm getting a laugh out of all the Leaf fans who still think like a rebuilding team. Very small chance we trade JVR or Bozak IMO, far more likely to move non roster assets if we make a move for a D.

The low ball valuations on Bozak never get tired. The list of comparable players who have gotten much more than a 2nd is a long one.

We probably need to wait for teams to be totally out of the playoff picture before we can make any kind of meaningful move.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I'm getting a laugh out of all the Leaf fans who still think like a rebuilding team. Very small chance we trade JVR or Bozak IMO, far more likely to move non roster assets if we make a move for a D.

The low ball valuations on Bozak never get tired. The list of comparable players who have gotten much more than a 2nd is a long one.

We probably need to wait for teams to be totally out of the playoff picture before we can make any kind of meaningful move.

Give it a month or so. There are alot of teams who still think they could be in the mix and will likely fall off by mid DEC but Bozak and JVR arent going to be of any interest to those teams. Teams in the toilet arent going to waste assets to get UFAs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad