Speculation: Trade Speculation Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
So basically no player's ever allowed to criticize anyone, even if it's valid.

Funny how this is the first year we haven't heard anything about Semin, after he got a huge wake-up call when he went UFA for the first time. And people forget just how bad he was actual production-wise last year. What did he have, 45-50 points? For a guy with his talent, that's ridiculous, and he was going downhill two years in a row.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
So basically no player's ever allowed to criticize anyone, even if it's valid.

How is "he could be the best player in the world if..." a valid criticism? You could say that about every damn player in the NHL. You should say it to the players face and not to the media.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
How is "he could be the best player in the world if..." a valid criticism? You could say that about every damn player in the NHL.

How good was Semin three years ago? He certainly had no worse than a top five offensive season that year. And he's been pretty darn good this year, otherwise people wouldn't still be obsessed with him. How exactly do you reconcile those two years with the two 'off' years in between?

And what makes you assume they haven't said it to the player's face already? Or at least levied some similar criticism his way.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
How good was Semin three years ago? He certainly had no worse than a top five offensive season that year. And he's been pretty darn good this year, otherwise people wouldn't still be obsessed with him. How exactly do you reconcile those two years with the two 'off' years in between?

And what makes you assume they haven't said it to the player's face already? Or at least levied some similar criticism his way.

If you say it to the players face why do you say it to the media?

He went from 19 min (79+ pts) to 18 min (54 pts in 65 gp) to 16:47 min (54 pts with 3rd line players). He gets 20 mins in Carolina and is back to a ppg player. You put him on a team's 1st line and he will be very productive.

2013 - 3.06 P/60
2012 - 2.3
2011 - 2.35
2010 - 3.19
2009 - 3.16

I think him with Kovy would be better than Parise and Kovy.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
lol at the notion decreasing a player's icetime by one-two minutes a game is going to drop 25-33% of a guy's entire point production. You disprove your own hypothesis with the last stat, it wasn't minutes that factored in since his PPG in 60 minutes fell down an elevator shaft for two years. You can blame it on playing with 'third-liners' last year, they were putting him with third-liners because his play was meriting it.

And he had 84 points three years ago, not 79. He went from 40-44-84 and +36 to 21-33-54 and +9 in 'more' games played (73 games played in '09/10, 77 in '11/12) over a two year span. I'm sure he wasn't playing with third-liners all the time, or on the PP either.

apice3*

Is Semin The Hitler of hockey ? Where's the big deal if people like to talk about him ? He's not off-topic imo

Because his name gets brought up once a day by one of the same five posters. It's annoying. Lou is constantly blamed for no reason, posters want to trade for him ignoring Carolina's situation, and people think that because he's succeeding in Carolina he would automatically succeed here. We don't have a center as good as Staal.

Stars fan on the Trade board says 2nd and Urbom for Jagr

I do it in a heart beat.

I'm in.

apice3*

Would be funny. Not sure if I'd pay 7m a year for a goaltender though.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I like Lundqvist, but he wouldn't go over well with Devils fans to replace Marty. We did get Vanbiesbrouck as our backup though 8 years after he left the Rangers though. We didn't have the heated rivalry with him though that we have with Lundqvist, but we did lose a playoff series to him (Mostly Richter in that 92 series)

I like Lundqvist, never will believe he's better than Marty but I do like him. Big equipment or not, how many BAD goaltenders are there that wear big equipment that aren't that good? (Mike Smith)

I could see Lundqvist as a career Ranger, but if not I think he'll still sign his next contract there. Maybe later on in his career.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Knowing how much Lou values the goalie position I would be shocked if the whole Rangers thing got in the way. On his side anyway...I don't think Queenie would be too fond of the idea to come here though.

I figure with his...lifestyle L.A. would make a lot of sense for him if they didn't have Quick...soo hmmm...Toronto maybe ?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Knowing how much Lou values the goalie position I would be shocked if the whole Rangers thing got in the way. On his side anyway...I don't think Queenie would be too fond of the idea to come here though.

I figure with his...lifestyle L.A. would make a lot of sense for him if they didn't have Quick...soo hmmm...Toronto maybe ?

I'm not sure where he'd go. He's from Sweden so there's nowhere he can go ''Home'' to in the NHL.:laugh:

As was said when Marty went to UFA though about Luongo possibly being traded here. It might not go over too well early on with the fans trading for Marty's rival from Canada. It might not go over too well signing Marty's biggest non retired rival.

We're gonna need a stop gap anyway though possibly not if Marty goes past this contract. I think we can spend the money better elsewhere than $8 million a year on a goalie (Probably what Henrik's next contract will be) We can get a good one for cheaper. Obviously not nearly as good as Lundqvist, but more than serviceable.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Stars fan on the Trade board says 2nd and Urbom for Jagr

I do it in a heart beat.

I'd be a little worried about which year the pick is with our looming Kovy penalty, but I'd probably do it too.

How is "he could be the best player in the world if..." a valid criticism? You could say that about every damn player in the NHL. You should say it to the players face and not to the media.

I'm assuming they did. However, as you yourself pointed out, he doesn't speak very good English. Might not have been as impactful as a translated interview was.

And I would expect the former Whalers players to rise to his defence... right now anyway. Wait until he's no longer on that team and I'm confident you'll see a few dissenters.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I like Lundqvist, but he wouldn't go over well with Devils fans to replace Marty. We did get Vanbiesbrouck as our backup though 8 years after he left the Rangers though. We didn't have the heated rivalry with him though that we have with Lundqvist, but we did lose a playoff series to him (Mostly Richter in that 92 series)

I like Lundqvist, never will believe he's better than Marty but I do like him. Big equipment or not, how many BAD goaltenders are there that wear big equipment that aren't that good? (Mike Smith)
I could see Lundqvist as a career Ranger, but if not I think he'll still sign his next contract there. Maybe later on in his career.

Not that this has anything to do with this thread, but Mike Smith is that good.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

It would be the ultimate troll move after all the players the Rangers have 'stolen' from us over the years but I don't see it happening for three reasons:

A) Lundqvist wouldn't come here
B) The Rangers can offer him more years (and thus money) than any other team
C) Lou on principle doesn't like signing pad monsters. Lou wants traditional goalies who don't need padding to succeed.

Not to mention D, Marty isn't 100% done after next year...

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i just re-read some laughable clarkson analysis from friday. probably not worth bringing it up at this point, but maybe be a little less bipolar on him/everything? yes he went through a mini slump but he's leading the team in goals? 1/2 of 30 goals is 15. this is a half season, and he already has 12. i'd sign him for 4.5 for 5 years easily.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
oh and…preeeettty sure hank re-signs with the rangers. why wouldn’t he? they give him huuuge contracts and call him the king when he hasn’t accomplished anything in the nhl yet.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
You talkin bout the russian? Minor as in possibly out from 2 weeks to the rest of the season. Minor in a short season is less minor than if it were not.

And yes I'd do that Jagr deal and hope Lou would be able to milk back a 2nd from a future trade somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad