Rumor: Trade Rumours Thread XIV: Rangers gauging interest on Callahan/Girardi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
There aren't many better options at 3rd line RW than Chris Stewart.

But he's at 4.15 mil and a UFA after next season. Might as well keep Callahan at 6 if you're going to trade for Steward at 4+

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Who does Stewart even play with? He needs a playmaking center to be effective.

This just doesn't make any sense.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I love people trying to throw more guys on top of it lol.

It's probably straight stewart for Callahan. Maybe a mid round pick.

That's about it. If the blues were offering a ton of things then the trade would have already happened.

using that same logic if both teams were willing to do a deal straight up it would be done already...blues might not be offering those extra things, but that doesn't mean sather isn't asking for them and won't make the deal without them.

*Bob Richards*

When Stewart is on, he's one of the most unique players in the league. A sniper that rarely loses a fight. He can really shoot the puck.

Unfortunately, Stewart being "on" doesn't happen that often. I'd give him my vote for the most inconsistent player in the league, seriously.

Most irritating though, he's a huge playoff choker.

He'll fit right in! :laugh:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Mike Green would cost too much and he's a concussion waiting to happen--he may be a concussion away from career over. Avoid.

McDonagh has gotten better--he is not exactly what we need as far as providing offense but he's good enough where we can kick the can down the road and wait for another option.

Work something around Callahan + to Boston for Torey Krug? I think that guy has real potential. He is a leftie though.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT

But he's at 4.15 mil and a UFA after next season. Might as well keep Callahan at 6 if you're going to trade for Steward at 4+

You don't have the injury concerns with stewart that you do with Cally.

I would be fine with signing cally long term if he would be healthy for it. But he won't be. Stewart at least is likely to stay healthy for a good amount of it

Let Blaine Die

Holden out 4 a hero
Jan 4, 2012
NYC

I'd rather promote Fast from Hartford than have Stewart play there.

Jaskin sounds nice. Anyway we can swing Jordan Schmaltz as well?

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
using that same logic if both teams were willing to do a deal straight up it would be done already...blues might not be offering those extra things, but that doesn't mean sather isn't asking for them and won't make the deal without them.

It's probably pretty close to even with just stewart for cally. The board doesn't agree, but it's probably the truth.

Cally is oft injured, currently not playing at a very high level, and he is not under contract next season and likely wants a massive deal.

DaddyPadre

Jul 5, 2013
id do this if Rangers got a young kid like Jaskin in the deal..

but its Sather so i could see something like Jackman and Stewart for Callahan... Rangers had interest in Jackman before...

then one of Girardi or Staal for something..

haha jaskin wont go anywhere

Let Blaine Die

Holden out 4 a hero
Jan 4, 2012
NYC
Who does Stewart even play with? He needs a playmaking center to be effective.

This just doesn't make any sense.

It doesn't make sense but it is totally a Sather move. Zherdev? Wolski? Lisin? Christensen? Pouliot (although this one has worked out)?

Sather loves his enigmatic wingers with a ton of skill but no compete or consistency whatsoever.

Stewart is a textbook Sather player and that is what is worrying me.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
If it's Callahan to STL then Dmitri Jaskin better be part of the package.

Not a chance of Jaskin being dealt. If there is a deal here, it's Stewart for Callahan with something less valuable than Jaskin as the difference. Callahan would probably be a rental for us.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Not a chance of Jaskin being dealt. If there is a deal here, it's Stewart for Callahan with something less valuable than Jaskin as the difference. Callahan would probably be a rental for us.

Don't you guys have a bit of an excess of DMen? Rangers might be interested in that just because they have two UFAs

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
It's probably pretty close to even with just stewart for cally. The board doesn't agree, but it's probably the truth.

Cally is oft injured, currently not playing at a very high level, and he is not under contract next season and likely wants a massive deal.

Have you seen Stewart?

He's literally good, every other year. He has games where he doesn't even try, often too.

I didn't notice him once in either game against the Rangers.

Callahan even as a UFA is worth more.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

pretty much this.

well take that russian kid though.... :laugh:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Why aren't you at your station?

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Have you seen Stewart?

He's literally good, every other year. He has games where he doesn't even try, often too.

I didn't notice him once in either game against the Rangers.

Callahan even as a UFA is worth more.

Like I said... The value is probably reasonably close. The difference between the two is more a mid tier prospect or a mid round pick (maybe a 2nd or 3rd).

That's about it. Blues aren't handing over Jaskin for a Cally rental

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Steve Zipay ‏@stevezipay 10m
Think NYR ask 4 more RT @DarrenDreger: West teams suggest NYR gathering intel on Chris Stewart. Cally for Stewart wd be sweet deal 4 Blues.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 3m
@stevezipay. Agreed, however, as a rental teams won't be willing to pay much more.
Expand

NYR Sting

Heart and Soul
Jul 4, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Disgusting, the very notion of dealing a player like Callahan for an inconsistent bum like Stewart.

This is all just sickening. You don't trade away players like Callahan. What is wrong with this place, with this team? Ugh.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
When you look at Stewart as replacing the 3rd best RW on the team, the downgrade doesn't sound so bad. That being said, the Blues would still need to add.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Dreger is pimping my posts as his own again. :sarcasm:

Said it before. The Rangers would probably entertain Callahan for Stewart plus a good pick, or Schmaltz or Vannelli. Stewart is a reclamation project. Minimal value due to a large cap hit. Salaries match and the Blues lose a cap commitment for next year while bolstering their roster for a playoff run with a forward who is a perfect fit for the system.

Rangers get a power winger who could rebound, but also entice Stastny as a FA considering the friendship the two have with each other. They also get a good pick, or a good RH PMD prospect.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Ha, power winger. That's VERY generous way of describing Chris Stewart.

He might as well be 5' 8", you'd never know he's 6' 2" the way he plays.

This is just ****ing terrible.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I get that he has consistency issues, but if you look at Stewart's entire body of work it's the kind of guy most would be clamoring to get during one of his on seasons. He's a power forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino