Rumor: Trade Rumours Thread XIV: Rangers gauging interest on Callahan/Girardi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
John Moore and mcd will both be more offensive players as they mature. Stralman isn't without the ability to play an offensive role.

Andersson is 2 yrs away ?

Connor allen

We have a few players who are not Dan Girardi.

Unless McD puts up 50-60 points and Moore puts up 30-40, it won't be enough.

If Staal gets back to his pre concussion form, that's another 25-35 points.

Girardi is miserably inept on offense.

As is Klein.

Still really need another good PMD. Through the draft or trade. Byfuglien, Green, are the best trade targets.

Or the draft, Julius Honka looks like an absolute stud.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Serious question. Does anybody bringing up that the East is poor this season and trying to tie it to the Callahan contract situation understand how stupid and short-sighted that sounds?

The East is pretty bad, but its got 2 very good teams at the top in Pittsburgh and Boston that the Rangers would have a tough time getting by with or without Callahan.

So, in the end, should the Rangers be investing 7 years and roughly $40M in Callahan to justify a punchers chance of reaching the finals this season?

Don't get me wrong -- I think its entirely plausible under this regime...but the fact remains it'd be short-sighted and stupid. In other words, the Ranger way.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
It really sucks but I don't see how you can justify signing Callahan unless his demands come way down. And why should he? Don't blame him one bit for wanting to get the most money possible.

The graph 31 posted charting production of 6ft or under physical forwards after age 30 was pretty telling, though not at all surprising.

All that said I still believe it is 100% possible, even likely, that the Rangers lock him up to something like 6x6. Regardless of what we think it would not shock me.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

As is Klein.

Still really need another good PMD. Through the draft or trade. Byfuglien, Green, are the best trade targets.

sounds good but we have a guy thats in the system already. hes 2 years away. good pedigree. highly regarded by our swedish scouting staff.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/calle_andersson/

ideal projectable frame @ 6'2 215. good skater, excellent vision and great passer. calm, efficient swedish presence on the ice. offensive guy who pushes the puck and joins the rush. future pp qb.

calle_andersson_sweden_110811.jpg

Last edited:

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

As is Klein.

Would not touch Green. Guy appears to have gotten another concussion. More concussion issues than Staal and that says something. Buff would cost too much to get for a guy who is really best on the wing. You need to Draft and develop a puck mover. Tried with MDZ and it was up and down, more down recently and was dealt. You either pay a premium for a guy in prime by trade or sign an older version to a short term big money contract. Think of Streit and Gonchar and the deals from this past season. Are they worth it?

Best to get one through developement. Right now, it should be a focus iin this upcoming Draft to take a guy who is a puck mover.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Serious question. Does anybody bringing up that the East is poor this season and trying to tie it to the Callahan contract situation understand how stupid and short-sighted that sounds?

The East is pretty bad, but its got 2 very good teams at the top in Pittsburgh and Boston that the Rangers would have a tough time getting by with or without Callahan.

So, in the end, should the Rangers be investing 7 years and roughly $40M in Callahan to justify a punchers chance of reaching the finals this season?

Don't get me wrong -- I think its entirely plausible under this regime...but the fact remains it'd be short-sighted and stupid. In other words, the Ranger way.

I don't know if you're referring to my post about the weak East, but it certainly wasn't trying to justify signing Callahan to a long term stupid contract. At $7/per, Ryan can take a hike.

And, if Pittsburgh has proven anything over the last few years it's that they can be beaten in the playoffs. Boston will be tough, but you never know.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

As is Klein.

No ****ing way do I target Mike Green.

Here's a few numbers for you: 51, 51, 35, 32, 49

That's the amount of games he's played the last 5 years and it looks like he got another concussion last night. No thank you.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

As is Klein.

Green and Byfuglien are righties. Green got banged up again last night. The guy is fragile. Buff is a better right winger than D. Girardi and Klein are righties. McIlrath is a righty. Where's the fit on the right side?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
RangerBoy beat me to it.

Callahan for Stewart straight up is god awful. There better be a plus from the Blues.

Punxrocknyc19*

Sent: Jan 31, 2014 10:19a

Western Conf teams suggest the Rangers are gathering intel on Chris Stewart. Callahan for Stewart would be a sweet deal for the Blues.

sent via Twitter for BlackBerry®
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/429272672430596096

id do this if Rangers got a young kid like Jaskin in the deal..

but its Sather so i could see something like Jackman and Stewart for Callahan... Rangers had interest in Jackman before...

then one of Girardi or Staal for something..

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Green and Byfuglien are righties. Green got banged up again last night. The guy is fragile. Buff is a better right winger than D. Girardi and Klein are righties. McIlrath is a righty. Where's the fit on the right side?

One of them has to go. This D core needs offense. Can't load it up with defensive d-men.

Maybe a player on the left side would be a better fit? One of Staal, Stralman, Klein, Girardi have to go. They're all the same player.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Stewart? Let's add another inconsistent player to our already abundant stable of streaky players.

Punxrocknyc19*

There better be more coming back than just Chris Stewart.

like i said i could see it being

Stewart Jackman for Callahan and Boyle or something like that..

Rangers call up Miller

then Staal Stralman or Girardi get deal

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
RangerBoy beat me to it.

Callahan for Stewart straight up is god awful. There better be a plus from the Blues.

And you beat me to it. Don't hate Stewart as a piece to replace a bit of Callahan's energy/physical element. When Stewart is on of course. But straight up is terrible.

Another big indicator that in any deals the Rangers are prioritizing NHL pieces back, not the picks/prospects we often hope for.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
When Stewart is on, he's one of the most unique players in the league. A sniper that rarely loses a fight. He can really shoot the puck.

Unfortunately, Stewart being "on" doesn't happen that often. I'd give him my vote for the most inconsistent player in the league, seriously.

Most irritating though, he's a huge playoff choker.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
I love people trying to throw more guys on top of it lol.

It's probably straight stewart for Callahan. Maybe a mid round pick.

That's about it. If the blues were offering a ton of things then the trade would have already happened.

Let Blaine Die

Holden out 4 a hero
Jan 4, 2012
NYC
I will personally lead the mob to lynch Sather if he trades Callahan straight up for Stewart.

Getting Stewart might also mean we're going to make a run at Stastny in the off-season :pullhair:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad