Rumor: Trade Rumours Thread XIV: Rangers gauging interest on Callahan/Girardi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
Good to hear Girardi will be re-signed soon. That's a good contract. I think he will take the shorter term to try to get another contract at 34.

I am curious about the McGinn rumors. Where would he fit? 3rd line? That means Hagelin is trade bait. That's an interesting one and I don't think it's related to Cally.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
I am kind of torn on what I would want for Callahan. On one hand I want to stock up for the future. On the other hand as much as it would kill certain posters here to admin, we are a competitive team to an extent and do need a player who can step in now to replace him. :dunno:
I hear you. It's a tough one, but then at the reported price, it makes it easier to stomach trading him.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
The other thing to consider here so that the East is probably the weakest it's ever been. Road to SC Finals might be easier than it's ever been. Not saying anyone in the East can beat the best in the West, but the SCF's aren't exactly an impossible dream at this point and anything can happen...

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
So you'rre arguing we trade one of the most versatile players in about in Rangers history, the best 3rd line forward in the NHL. a 2-time Olympian for a young third liner, approaching ARFA, a 30+ third liner, approaching UFA, and a 2nd round pick in a weak draft (which every draft is for us)?

How 'bout Callahan for overrated Lucic and Boston's 1st? :)

the best 3rd line forward who plays on the 2nd line and will be paid like a 1st liner?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
From the reports, let's assume Girardi will sign.

Regarding Callahan, it is a catch 22. I am no Sather supporter, but this is a very touchy subject and a tough position to be in. Callahan is a "heart and soul" player, if that counts as a legitimate thing, and leads by example on the ice. He is always contributing, either on the scoreboard or by doing what he can to shift each play in our favor. He sacrifices his body, he kills penalties at an elite level, he has his head on straight and understands what it takes to win and what it takes to be a professional athlete in New York City.

Some may not subscribe to those "intangibles", but the more players that are shipped out that possess those qualities, the more you continue to strip away your identiy. It would take quite some time to find a suitable replacement that will do the things he does and brings the same never-quit mentality.

On the flip side there is a business.

Personally, i feel using emotion and business when making these decisions is not wise. Rather, what is a good hockey decision. What decision makes the team better. Not the product, not the entertainment, not what sells more tickets, not what makes fans or management happy. What is the smart hockey decision. Take into consideration chemistry, identity, longevity, and function within the limits of the salary cap.

We can see this is a touchy and polarizing subject. Unfortunately, no matter what happens, there will be unhappy people. We can just hope that management makes a smart decision based not on what business or emotion dictates, but what is best for the team and what makes the team better moving forward.

If he is traded, personally i hope there are certain personality and player types that are avoided. Avoid enigmatic players that are all skill and dont possess the right mentality. That means no high-risk players such as Yakupov. No KHL risks. No players with prior serious injuries, specifically head injuries. Make sure the main piece coming back is a young player that has leadership qualities, has won in his career (NCAA Title, Memorial Cup, etc), fills a specific role (top 6 center, scorer, power forward, etc), has their head on straight, work ethic on and off the ice. The return doesn't need to be a #1 pick or a former #1 pick, but a player they specifically target who fills a specific role, who exemplifies the identity they want to instill. Be it a forward or defenseman (preferably a center).

You simply can not trade Callahan because of cap implications, for what ever return presents its self. If the return isn't there, then figure out a way to make the cap work. This isn't Del Zotto we are discussing. Del Zotto SHOULD have returned something more than Kevin Klein, a 29 year old "solid" borderline top 5 defenseman with no upside. Yes he fills a role, yes he is signed to a manageable contract. Fact is Sather waited until the coaching staff completely evaporated his trade value.

Which brings us to the root of the problem. 70+ year old Sather. It begins and ends with (James Dolan, really) Glen Sather. If he can't figure out a way to either A- sign Callahan and manage the cap in such a way that he can further improve the team, or B- get a cornerstone piece in return for Callahan, then Sather needs to be fired on the spot. And not just from the GM position, but as President, as well. He has had his grubby fingers on this organization for 14 years and he has gotten it nowhere. His time has come and gone a long time ago.

So, what is the right move, here? Its a profound situation, and there is no easy decision.

This !

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Would everyone be more-or-less copesetic with a contract similar to what Dustin Brown signed?

Absolutely not. Would be a high upside deal.

Slats afraid of long term deals though... Don't believe in them.

Edit: If Slats can get some kind of an opening in a NTC.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
the best 3rd line forward who plays on the 2nd line and will be paid like a 1st liner?

Hehe, Parise got 61m over his first 6 years. How do you figure Callahan is getting paid like a 1st lineers with the numbers mentioned???

Look at what Clarkson got, the cap will be much higher when Cally signs his deal.

Most GMs have just managed their contracts better and prevented guys like Cally to hit the market now. We have saved pennies on insane bridge contracts or nickle and dime short term deals, while other GMs have planned ahead and resigned their players to reasonable deals long term. Sure, it might have cost their roster might have cost them 2-3m more as opposed to them using Slats nickle and dime strategy, but it's paying of now...

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I know I'm in the minority in that I want to see Cally and Girardi in NY for the rest of their careers, and would be willing to see a "slight" overpayment to lock them up...I really hope this trade talk is just to put pressure on the two players to sign quickly.

It's not so much the coin. I wouldn't care if we overpaid slightly for Cally to the tune of 6 mill per. The problem is the length of the contract. All indications are that he wants a 6 or 7 year deal. Man, that's bit rich for a guy who could have a Drury like regression any time now and tends to get hurt a lot.

Cally on a 3 or 4 year deal at or close to 6 mill per (3/18 or 4/24) I'm all for it. Callahan at 6/36 or even 6/42. No thanks.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Would it shock anyone to see a 1-year deal for Callahan? It could work to his advantage. Growing cap, could play/produce more next year in AV's system, especially if he stays healthy. He'll still be under 30 when free agency starts.

Players obviously want to see max term, but a 1 year deal can be beneficial to both parties.

It's a possibility but wouldn't count on it. It means he really wants to stay in NY. Some team will throw big bucks at him on a longterm deal.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I'd do all three of them + a 1st for Galchenyuk.

I think he's a future 80-90 pt C with a nice blend of size and skill. Malkin-lite.

Steep price to pay but you gotta give to get and Galch is going to be a good one. Would pull the trigger as well.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I am kind of torn on what I would want for Callahan. On one hand I want to stock up for the future. On the other hand as much as it would kill certain posters here to admin, we are a competitive team to an extent and do need a player who can step in now to replace him. :dunno:

I don't think many would disagree with you. Cally has been great for us. The issue with resigning him is his injury history & his desire to sign an outrageous contract. Unfortunately the Rangers are going to take a hit in some way, the questions is now how that will happen.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers and Habs scouted each other in the fall. Mark Mowers was at a few Ranger games. Adam Graves was at a few Habs games. The Montreal people thought Nash was getting traded to the Habs. Brassard was involved in that rumor too. It was BS. However,I remember reading a while back when Columbus was having trouble with Brassard that the Hawks liked Brass. Marc Bergevin was with the Hawks at that time. Bergevin is now the Habs GM.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
So Brassard for Subban and a 1st?

Get it done Slats ;).

Realistically though, nothing from Montreal interests me.

Edit: Actually, if Slats thinks Staal won't resign/wants to trade him, Nathan Beaulieu interests me.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
So Brassard for Subban and a 1st?

Get it done Slats ;).

Realistically though, nothing from Montreal interests me.

Edit: Actually, if Slats thinks Staal won't resign/wants to trade him, Nathan Beaulieu interests me.

Staal and Brass? ;)

Staal is a bit tricky. I was completely sold on him just a few years ago. Then he gets injury problems and you start to wonder why something wasn't done before. You note that he isn't a perfect fit due to not being elite offensively. Etc. Then he comes back like he have this year again, and you start to wonder if its not only a matter of time before he will take another step offensively.

I think Brassard is underrated BTW. Looking around the league at players on teams that are fireing on all cylinders, and at the group of players right behind the core on those teams, I think Brassard is much better than so many players that walk around with a spotless reputation. I mean like Nick Bonino in Anaheim. Guys like that. Kadri is a player I've watched a lot lately, would never deal Brassard for him.

We are weak at center, but Brassard as a potential 2b center is a strength with potential to become an asset not many team's can match...

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Good to hear Girardi will be re-signed soon. That's a good contract. I think he will take the shorter term to try to get another contract at 34.

I am curious about the McGinn rumors. Where would he fit? 3rd line? That means Hagelin is trade bait. That's an interesting one and I don't think it's related to Cally.

The 5 year contract takes Girardi to 35. He will 30 this April. Girardi wants six. The Rangers prefer five. The Rangers have offered a 5 and 6 year deal. Higher annual dollars for the five years.

McGinn is a third line winger. Pouliot isn't a long term answer for this team.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers have McDonagh,Staal and Moore on the left side. A re-signed(looks like it) Girardi,Klein and Stralman on the right side. McIlrath is a righty. Skjei is a lefty. Allen is a lefty. Where is the offensive D in that group?

McDonagh is signed long-term. The Rangers re-sign Moore to a 2 year bridge contract. Girardi will get a 5 or 6 year deal. Klein has 4 more years. McIlrath is waiting in the wings. Staal has another year on his contract. Stralman will be a free agent and he should get a very good deal this summer. The Rangers can't afford another defensive first D. Stralman will be more expensive than Klein.

They need an offensive D. Does Staal become the chip to acquire that player? The Rangers don't have that player on their team or in their system. Del Zotto showed glimpses of becoming that player but he couldn't put it together and there were only 3 teams interested in trading for him. Nashville,Toronto and Ottawa.

The Avs wanted a D for McGinn. Would they take Stralman who is a rental? Can the Rangers get more than McGinn for Stralman?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
The Rangers have McDonagh,Staal and Moore on the left side. A re-signed(looks like it) Girardi,Klein and Stralman on the right side. McIlrath is a righty. Skjei is a lefty. Allen is a lefty. Where is the offensive D in that group?

McDonagh is signed long-term. The Rangers re-sign Moore to a 2 year bridge contract. Girardi will get a 5 or 6 year deal. Klein has 4 more years. McIlrath is waiting in the wings. Staal has another year on his contract. Stralman will be a free agent and he should get a very good deal this summer. The Rangers can't afford another defensive first D. Stralman will be more expensive than Klein.

They need an offensive D. Does Staal become the chip to acquire that player? The Rangers don't have that player on their team or in their system. Del Zotto showed glimpses of becoming that player but he couldn't put it together and there were only 3 teams interested in trading for him. Nashville,Toronto and Ottawa.

The Avs wanted a D for McGinn. Would they take Stralman who is a rental? Can the Rangers get more than McGinn for Stralman?

John Moore and mcd will both be more offensive players as they mature. Stralman isn't without the ability to play an offensive role.

Andersson is 2 yrs away ?

Connor allen

We have a few players who are not Dan Girardi.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland

I think Stralman is the odd man out
Hope there is a decent return
Detroit has serious interest
Edmonton too I would think

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Think there will be a huge amount of action on the trade front after the Olympics. Prorated cap space goes up and everybody will get more needed space in this special cap strapped year. Cap hits being retained and dealt like a Wild West poker game in a flurry of action based on mathematics and futures could be one quite interesting scenario
Rangers currently have $8,577,131 of deadline space which is very high for a team so high in the standings. Could pick up an extra asset just because of this (retaining $$ being funneled for traded players(s) in other deals)
Interesting...

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
I wish the best for Callahan, but have no problem with him being traded. I think if he goes to a contender where he can be better protected,(less mins, less physical play required) he can be a valuable part for many years. I don't think he can last as the Rangers 2d line wing and most physical forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad