Rumor: Trade Rumours & Proposals | Would NYR Move Kreider? | Reinhart Unclaimed

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This board is losing it.

You trade Draisaitl without bringing back a legit 20-something superstar for McDavid to play with and you may as well entertain trading McDavid too because he is not going to be happy and will want a trade out in a couple of years.

The team is coming down to Earth like Calgary/Colorado/Florida did. There's no vast conspiracy here, it happens to young teams all the time and it will happen to similar teams in the future. Maybe the Oilers can play their way out of it, we'll see.
I am not saying move Drai for sure. But we have to move one of Nuge or Drai, literally cannot afford to keep both. If we had a lot of great prospects coming up and great drafting sure, maybe the ELC could save us. But we don't. Drai and Nuge are our only movable assets that have value as well.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Because this team does not have cap space to make a single roster improvement next year. PERIOD. If the cap goes up 2 mill to 77 that leaves us with 15.5 mill to sign 11 players. That includes pretty much our entire bottom 6, Maroon, backup goalie, Nurse and Benning and a #7. That is not much at all around $1.4mill a player. And that does not include the potential bonus on anyone on ELC. So say we set aside 3ish mill for that, it leaves around 1.25mill a player. This team literally cannot afford an upgrade anywhere in the lineup without moving Nuge or Drai

So you need to make a massive downgrade and get rid of one of our three best players in order to upgrade the team? That doesn't make any sense.

If you're going for a total rebuild and can get a Kings randsom for one of those guys then sure go ahead and deal one to make the team better in the long term. But you do not have to add water to an already sinking ship. You're cutting off a finger so that you can get rid of a hangnail.

Wish you were the Flames GM. You'd probably trade Johnny for pieces just to add a few 3rd/4th liners to the roster.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I am not saying move Drai for sure. But we have to move one of Nuge or Drai, literally cannot afford to keep both. If we had a lot of great prospects coming up and great drafting sure, maybe the ELC could save us. But we don't. Drai and Nuge are our only movable assets that have value as well.

You can keep both.

You can't sign 450505959 UFAs in the summer. Tough shit.

Plenty of teams this year are playing better with similar/worse rosters than years past.

This team is simply going to have to learn how to improve internally next year, that's all there is to it. There is no magic trade that would fix this, trading Draisaitl is only going to make the team even worse.

They are a young team that thought this year would be easy, now they are in the "but this was working last year, I don't get it!" phase ... it happens. It will happen again to another team in the future that people thought had it all figured out. It's not the end of the world.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You can keep both.

You can't sign 450505959 UFAs in the summer. Tough ****.

Plenty of teams this year are playing better with similar/worse rosters than years past.

This team is simply going to have to learn how to improve internally next year, that's all there is to it. There is no magic trade that would fix this, trading Draisaitl is only going to make the team even worse.
We don't have cap space to ice the roster we currently have next year as all the players will require a bit of a raise or the same amount. Maroon will cost more, Nurse will cost more. Signing Strome or replacing him will cost more.
15.5 million (if the cap goes up by 2 mill) for 11 players and bonus cushion. Thats not enough.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So you need to make a massive downgrade and get rid of one of our three best players in order to upgrade the team? That doesn't make any sense.

If you're going for a total rebuild and can get a Kings randsom for one of those guys then sure go ahead and deal one to make the team better in the long term. But you do not have to add water to an already sinking ship. You're cutting off a finger so that you can get rid of a hangnail.

Wish you were the Flames GM. You'd probably trade Johnny for pieces just to add a few 3rd/4th liners to the roster.
Calgary doesn't have crazy cap issues from having 2 players signed for 22 mill. One who is worth it and another who is easily overpaid by a couple mill.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We don't have cap space to ice the roster we currently have next year as all the players will require a bit of a raise or the same amount. Maroon will cost more, Nurse will cost more. Signing Strome or replacing him will cost more.
15.5 million (if the cap goes up by 2 mill) for 11 players and bonus cushion. Thats not enough.

Who says you MUST replace Strome? Since when is keeping him a priority and trading Draisaitl for cap room make sense? I've crunched these numbers more than anyone on this board. You can keep RNH. And Draisaitl.

You just aren't going to get the 10 minute satisfaction of a "big UFA signing" this summer. That's all there is to it.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I personally think McDavid is more overpaid by 2M and Drai by 1-1.5M. Do I want to trade them? No. It is what it is. They're your franchise players. You work around it and start looking at trying to move Lucic and Russell. That frees up 10M of cap space.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Who says you MUST replace Strome? Since when is keeping him a priority and trading Draisaitl for cap room make sense? I've crunched these numbers more than anyone on this board. You can keep RNH. And Draisaitl.

You just aren't going to get the 10 minute satisfaction of a "big UFA signing" this summer. That's all there is to it.
I am not looking to sign big UFAs. We can't even move futures for players.

We have to have a 3c. If you move Nuge to that position you then need another top line right winger. Unless our plan is going to roll Puljujarvi and Yamamoto and pray for success.. Replacing Strome will be necessary.

You have crunched those numbers.
Fine.
Show me how we can resign the exact same roster even with the capspace we have while giving pay raises to players who are underpaid.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I personally think McDavid is more overpaid by 2M and Drai by 1-1.5M. Do I want to trade them? No. It is what it is. They're your franchise players. You work around it and start looking at trying to move Lucic and Russell. That frees up 10M of cap space.
YOU CANT MOVE RUSSELL. He has a full NMC for the first 2 years so thats a non starter.
Lucic chose here, has a full NMC as well.

So how are you going to move them? How are you going to convince them to waive, getting a player to waive it is actually quite hard. Especially in a guy like Russell who JUST signed the contract.

The fact of the matter is. We have to move one of Nuge or Drai or literally pull off a miracle and move Russell or Lucic.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Cause Drai is overpaid by a few million, we need to make roster improvements and have no money to do it.
This team isn't playoff caliber and we have zero room to do that if we keep RNH or Drai. One has to move.
I think Drai is paid exactly what he is worth, the problem is with only a single season of elite production and it being his 2nd contract we really should of been able to sign a value deal. I don't agree that this team isn't playoff caliber particularly given the fact that Sekera hasn't suited up a single game this season, he's a very important part of the team, in an ideal world someone would step up and fill the void, I think Nurse has done a good job at that, but when Klef + Benning regress a bit and Russell loses the partner that makes him look close to resembling a top 4 D it hurts us pretty bad. I'd also consider our 3rd and 4th lines to have been more like lead weights for the majority of this season, overhauling that in the off-season alone could help the team a lot, trading an elite talent like Draisaitl isn't something you can do a take back on, you have to be really sure when you make that kind of decision.

I'd also point out that Tampa didn't make many significant moves and went from missing the playoffs last year to being the best team in the league this season, Stamkos injury last year plays a role in the reversal of fortunes, but I don't think it's the whole story.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
YOU CANT MOVE RUSSELL. He has a full NMC for the first 2 years so thats a non starter.
Lucic chose here, has a full NMC as well.

So how are you going to move them? How are you going to convince them to waive, getting a player to waive it is actually quite hard. Especially in a guy like Russell who JUST signed the contract.

The fact of the matter is. We have to move one of Nuge or Drai or literally pull off a miracle and move Russell or Lucic.
I would just give it a shot and ask Russell anyway. He'll likely know he will get traded now or in 1.5 years. Better get it over with and settle in the new city

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think Drai is paid exactly what he is worth, the problem is with only a single season of elite production and it being his 2nd contract we really should of been able to sign a value deal. I don't agree that this team isn't playoff caliber particularly given the fact that Sekera hasn't suited up a single game this season, he's a very important part of the team, in an ideal world someone would step up and fill the void, I think Nurse has done a good job at that, but when Klef + Benning regress a bit and Russell loses the partner that makes him look close to resembling a top 4 D it hurts us pretty bad. I'd also consider our 3rd and 4th lines to have been more like lead weights for the majority of this season, overhauling that in the off-season alone could help the team a lot, trading an elite talent like Draisaitl isn't something you can do a take back on, you have to be really sure when you make that kind of decision.

I'd also point out that Tampa didn't make many significant moves and went from missing the playoffs last year to being the best team in the league this season, Stamkos injury last year plays a role in the reversal of fortunes, but I don't think it's the whole story.
He is overpaid for what he brings to any comparison.
He is not a 77 point center.
He is a 77 point winger when he plays with a 100 point center. Period. He is a good player. He is not 8.5 mill good.

Draisaitl is my favorite Oilers. But he is hella overpaid.

Tarasenko is a better player and he signed for less of the cap hit and it bought MORE UFA years. Tarasenko never played with anyone close to McDavid either.

CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I am not looking to sign big UFAs. We can't even move futures for players.

We have to have a 3c. If you move Nuge to that position you then need another top line right winger. Unless our plan is going to roll Puljujarvi and Yamamoto and pray for success.. Replacing Strome will be necessary.

You have crunched those numbers.
Fine.
Show me how we can resign the exact same roster even with the capspace we have while giving pay raises to players who are underpaid.

You need a 3C. You don't NEED a $3 million 3C.

Yamamoto (0.925) McDavid (12.5) Draisaitl (8.5)
Lucic (6) RNH (6) Puljujarvi (0.925)
Cammalleri (1) Caggiula (1.25) Kassian (1.9)
Khaira (0.7) Malone (0.925) Slepyshev (1.25)
blank (0.7)

Klefbom (4.1) Larsson (4.1)
Nurse (3.8) Sekera (5.5)
Russell (4) Bear (0.9)
Gryba (0.9)

Talbot (4.1)
Broissoit (1)

Pouliot buy out (1.3 mill)

= $72.1 million

Assuming a $77 million dollar cap, you could even keep Maroon if he's willing to sign a deal that brings down his cap number with lower end years. You can move Kassian too (not sure what he is doing right now to justify a salary north of $1 million).

Are there snazzy, sexy changes? No. Improvement has to come from within.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

blank (0.7)

Nurse (3.8) Sekera (5.5)
Russell (4) Bear (0.9)
Gryba (0.9)

Talbot (4.1)
Broissoit (1)

= $72.1 million

Assuming a $77 million dollar cap, you could even keep Maroon if he's willing to sign a deal that brings down his cap number with lower end years.

Thats an absolutely horrible lineup. Thats worse than our forward core right now.
So you proved my point, you can do it while making the team worse.
Improvement can come from within when you have players ready to make that jump. We do not have anyone close. Cagguila as our 3c again? Do you remember how awful he was there?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Thats an absolutely horrible lineup. Thats worse than our forward core right now.
Improvement can come from within when you have players ready to make that jump. We do not have anyone close. Cagguila as our 3c again? Do you remember how awful he was there?

Well tough shit.

Who's Anaheim's lineup right now?

The Islanders lost Hamonic for picks and gained Eberle, which most HFBoards skeptics would say is a downgrade, but they are better. Why? Because many of their players are playing better.

Vegas is making due with a bunch of cast off players. San Jose is worse this year and still sticking around. Who did Detroit add? They are better this year. Winnipeg added nobody major over the summer.

This team will learn some hard lessons this year and come back more mature next year (playoffs or not). That's all there is to it. There is no cavalary coming to bail out this group.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Next year the roster is supposed to be worse on paper. That's when McDavid, Nurse, Benning and Slepy extensions come in. The only thing we can hope for is internal growth. This is why this year was so crucial to win it all. Next year is definitely a retool year

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Next year the roster is supposed to be worse on paper. That's when McDavid, Nurse, Benning and Slepy extensions come in. The only thing we can hope for is internal growth. This is why this year was so crucial to win it all
Oh I know this year was crucial. Rebuild 3.0 incoming.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
He is overpaid for what he brings to any comparison.
He is not a 77 point center.
He is a 77 point winger when he plays with a 100 point center. Period. He is a good player. He is not 8.5 mill good.

Draisaitl is my favorite Oilers. But he is hella overpaid.

Tarasenko is a better player and he signed for less of the cap hit and it bought MORE UFA years. Tarasenko never played with anyone close to McDavid either.

CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
You don't point to a single player and say that player is better value so this player is overpaid, you have to look at a wide swath of players at or relatively close to that cap-hit and compare and you should take note of when those contracts were signed as the league obviously has a trend towards ever escalating salaries.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton

blank (0.7)

Nurse (3.8) Sekera (5.5)
Russell (4) Bear (0.9)
Gryba (0.9)

Talbot (4.1)
Broissoit (1)

= $72.1 million

Assuming a $77 million dollar cap, you could even keep Maroon if he's willing to sign a deal that brings down his cap number with lower end years. You can move Kassian too (not sure what he is doing right now to justify a salary north of $1 million).

This is not a playoff team, barring some ridiculously lucky PDO.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Draisaitl is still easily the 2nd greatest thing to happen to this team in the last 8-9 years. In a redraft of his draft class he would go no.1 overall.

We'll see how overpaid he is once you see Eichel is at 10 mill per, Matthews will be at 12.5-13.5+ etc. etc. 8-8.5 is the new 6.

The fact that he's getting ragged on this board while still being basically a PPG player actually shows how good he is.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This is not a playoff team, barring some ridiculously lucky PDO.

Welp, so what. Lets see what they're made of. It's easy to be great when you have everything handed to you on a silver platter. How do you react when things are hard? How do you react when not everything is going your way. How do you respond when you've had a poor season?

There's an "unsexy" side to being a winner too and that comes from a fire within that borders on a rage. We'll see if Connor has it. We'll see if Leon has it. We have to develop Yamamoto right.

If we miss this year's playoffs we have to draft a good player. That's all there is to it. There's no magic formula here.

Calgary missed the playoffs the year after their break out year and to their credit they made it back the next year and look like they could make it again this year. Missing the playoffs once is not an excuse to shut down shop and go cry in a corner that you're not getting a superstar UFA add.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You don't point to a single player and say that player is better value so this player is overpaid, you have to look at a wide swath of players at or relatively close to that cap-hit and compare and you should take note of when those contracts were signed as the league obviously has a trend towards ever escalating salaries.
Look at that and look at the C.H %. That was the % of the total cap hit when the player signed the contract. Drai signed at 11.3%. He is the third highest on comparables only behind Giroux and McDavid.
Johansen, Tarasenko, Kuznetsov all are better players and signed for LESS of a % than Drai did while all buying up more UFA years. He is overpaid, straight up.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Welp, so what. Lets see what they're made of. It's easy to be great when you have everything handed to you on a silver platter. How do you react when things are hard? How do you react when not everything is going your way. How do you respond when you've had a poor season?

There's an "unsexy" side to being a winner too and that comes from a fire within that borders on a rage. We'll see if Connor has it. We'll see if Leon has it. We have to develop Yamamoto right.

If we miss this year's playoffs we have to draft a good player. That's all there is to it. There's no magic formula here.

Calgary missed the playoffs the year after their break out year and to their credit they made it back the next year and look like they could make it again this year. Missing the playoffs once is not an excuse to shut down shop and go cry in a corner that you're not getting a superstar UFA add.
Can you stop with the superstar UFA add bs. No one is saying that.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Look at that and look at the C.H %. That was the % of the total cap hit when the player signed the contract. Drai signed at 11.3%. He is the third highest on comparables only behind Giroux and McDavid.
Johansen, Tarasenko, Kuznetsov all are better players and signed for LESS of a % than Drai did while all buying up more UFA years. He is overpaid, straight up.

There's a good chance Draisaitl is better than Johansen and Kuznetsov. Johansen has 1 whopping goal this year and is three years older.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad