Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mookie McGee

Mar 4, 2020
Everybody worried about committing an overpayment for a free agent, last year we brought Dadanov in at $5M/3 years, paid him $3.5M for a year, he played at a $1.5M level, and we still were able to dump him for a positive return. Many bad deals can be removed successfully and painlessly.

If we don't bring in players now to complement a roster of underpaid emerging talents, it really won't happen when everybody has gotten a raise up to market value in 2 years, and Euge is sweating rising payroll and probably planning to trade some of them.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Dadonov out (11.5m); Holden, MDZ, 3rd in (5.4m)

Not amazing by any means, but I feel a lot better when I remember that Toronto gave Mrazek & Kampf - the "f*** Vowels Crew" - a combined 5.3m per year.... and have 1.6m in cap space with the following roster:

Mikheyev - Matthews - Marner
Robertson - Tavares - Nylander
Bunting - Kerfoot - Simmonds
Engvall - Spezza - Kampf

Reilly - Holl
Muzzin - Brodie
Sandin - Dermott
Liljegren

Mrazek
Campbell

hasn't been able to eat since McGuire got hired
Lol

Reactions: Deku

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008

Pierre steps up to the podium

tenor.gif

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Lol, just spare us the media availability this time around.

"We added some bodies and we hope the underwhelming body shuffling works out better than the last two years."

They need to keep Melnyk off the radio talking about going after top 6 centers and top 4 d, we're not idiots.

Not that I'm saying they are going to get a top 6 C or top 4 D. But did people think that if it was going to happen it would be through FA?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Everybody worried about committing an overpayment for a free agent, last year we brought Dadanov in at $5M/3 years, paid him $3.5M for a year, he played at a $1.5M level, and we still were able to dump him for a positive return. Many bad deals can be removed successfully and painlessly.

If we don't bring in players now to complement a roster of underpaid emerging talents, it really won't happen when everybody has gotten a raise up to market value in 2 years, and Euge is sweating rising payroll and probably planning to trade some of them.

We have Sanderson, Boucher, Greig, Jarventie, Kleven and a host of others who will, at the earliest, start their ELC this year (most of them next year or even later) + 6 picks in the top 96 this year. I get your point, but we still have a lot of potential impact players on the way, and that is to say nothing about the guys who are still early into their ELCs.

I think you raise an interesting and valuable point, but I would apply it more to extensions than I would to FAs. Windows are rarely long, and often take longer to open than expected. You want to make sure you are betting on the right horses long-term.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
This is a typical UFA day for the Sens. Actually, it was better than most.

Made a great trade, and followed it up with a bad/pointless signing. Baby steps.

We need to go make changes to the pro scouting department, positive steps need to be taken there to mitigate the moves we make with regards to bringing guys in.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Lol, just spare us the media availability this time around.

"We added some bodies and we hope the underwhelming body shuffling works out better than the last two years."

They need to keep Melnyk off the radio talking about going after top 6 centers and top 4 d, we're not idiots.

He is usually good for a good soundbite.
Building for this future success only also means strategic choices about the present

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Not that I'm saying they are going to get a top 6 C or top 4 D. But did people think that if it was going to happen it would be through FA?
I think the assumption most made was that it would happen over the past week with the draft, Expansion Draft and FA, but not necessarily through FA specifically.

Doing nothing but some lateral body shuffling meets my expectations either way, so all good, just don't get what the big game hunting talk was about, but credit to Dorion, that came from Melnyk not him.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I'm happy with the result of today

Getting rid of Dadonov's 5.75M average salary for the next 2YRs is a major win, as is picking up Holden as a 1YR stop gap and getting a 3rd for free.

Not a big fan of the MDZ signing, largely due to the 2nd year and fear that it will result in Brannstrom being traded, but he's a decent bottom pairing guy and if we're shifting Holden to the RD there is room for him.

The biggest win is not doing something incredibly stupid like signing a middle 6er to a bloated long-term deal like EDM, CGY and LA. It's stupid season and there's always the risk that the team could do something dumb that hurts our future more than it helps in the short-term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad