Trade, Rumours & FA Thread, Offseason Version

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
And the best thing about Ehlers is that he is such a low maintainence player. In an era where so many of the highly touted players act so entitled, demand top ice time and/or playing with top players including his draft cohort Nylander- it is refreshing to have someone who doesn't whine or complain and just carries on. That has to be huge for management, I know it would be for me if I was a GM.

I don't think we have ever heard him complain about icetime or show that in his body language, that's something when in this day and age even guys like Roslovic who have accomplished literally nothing complain about role and ice time. He's a top line player with an ego of a 4th liner like Hendricks.... atleast based on what we have heard about him and his personality.
Apparently Ehlers is just a low maintence, happy go lucky guy, who doesn't really care where he plays with.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
There really isn't any stat you can use outside of PP scoring that paints him as a bad player and even then if he was put on a PP1 he likely increases that enough to be a 70-80 point player.

You're right - there isn't. Then again, I don't think anyone is calling him a bad player.

He's a possession player that has the puck on his stick a lot - more than anyone on this team. He can carry if better than most and he is able to gain zones with the best of them.
Considering how often he is gaining the zone and handling the puck, you'd expect more production - he'll get there once he learns to play with his line mates.

This is not calling him a bad player - he has huge potential if he can get his head into play making. And he shouldn't be excluded from scrutiny but us fans.

Anyway, there are probably a bag full of stats that make him pretty much perfect - I fall back on the eye test where I still see him under utilizing his line mates - and if he's going to be a line driver, he can't do that.

He has the potential to be the best player on the team -

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
Ehlers gets things done all over the ice. If someone legit asked me to trade Laine for Ehlers I'd do it in a heartbeat. There is more to hockey than just shooting the puck. Ehlers does all those other things better than Laine by a country mile.

I have thrown this out there before: Why not make EHLERS the second line centre ?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Not sure if this is exactly accurate, but he appears to be pretty low maintenance and always has a smile on his face.
Hence "apparently". it was one of the talking heads (Dreger, Lebrun, Friedman) that brought it up

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
I have thrown this out there before: Why not make EHLERS the second line centre ?
I think putting Ehlers at center would be a great move.
The fact he hasn't played there before would involve some work on his part, but the fact he is a world class skater, great puckhandler and passer would be ideal.
Now if Maurice would just put him in Wheeler's spot on the PP we would be so much more deadly.

Reactions: robertocarlos

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
You're right - there isn't. Then again, I don't think anyone is calling him a bad player.

He's a possession player that has the puck on his stick a lot - more than anyone on this team. He can carry if better than most and he is able to gain zones with the best of them.
Considering how often he is gaining the zone and handling the puck, you'd expect more production - he'll get there once he learns to play with his line mates.

This is not calling him a bad player - he has huge potential if he can get his head into play making. And he shouldn't be excluded from scrutiny but us fans.

Anyway, there are probably a bag full of stats that make him pretty much perfect - I fall back on the eye test where I still see him under utilizing his line mates - and if he's going to be a line driver, he can't do that.

Good post, great explanation

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Yes. But that is not revisionism. By all appearances, Chevy kept him as a 3 year rental.

Yup. People can disagree about whether this was a good or bad decision but I don't think you can reasonably call it obviously terrible. The value of a player is in them playing, after all. All players eventually run out their contracts somewhere.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

I def think he does still have a bit of a tendency to not use his linemates and over stick handle still. However, I don't think it's as bad as it was when he first broke into the nhl.... But when he first broke in pretty sure he had inadequate low offensive iq linemates like thorburn. So, I can see it a bit tough on him.

If he can turn a few of those plays into more goals or assists, he'd be an even superior/more efficient 5v5 producer than he already is, and he might be the best on the team as it stands, even while leaving a few points on the ice.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

If he was better able to utilize his linemates and make better use of the puck on his stick we are talking about a McDavid level player likely. Ehlers will likely never be that. He's going to have flaws but his benefits far outweigh those flaws.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
How do we know he through a tantrum.

Trouba Tanev roslo. And I know I’m forgetting a few others all had problems with their usage under Maurice.

This is just different because the usuals is stopping laine from potentially getting 50 goals and proving himself out of our organization

Trouba's usage thing was an excuse, he got exactly what he wanted and still wanted out. Tanev and Roslovic want top 6 time and they aren't good enough. When Roslovic had it, he was not impressive.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Columbus wants to move wennburg. If not they are buying him out. He had a 59 point season a few years ago. I could see Chevy going for him.

Nice and cheap with chance of upside. Right in chevys spectrum

Reactions: untouchable21

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Trouba's usage thing was an excuse, he got exactly what he wanted and still wanted out. Tanev and Roslovic want top 6 time and they aren't good enough. When Roslovic had it, he was not impressive.

I agree with your post. I never said any of their reasons were valid . Just that it’s becoming a theme

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
If he was better able to utilize his linemates and make better use of the puck on his stick we are talking about a McDavid level player likely. Ehlers will likely never be that. He's going to have flaws but his benefits far outweigh those flaws.

I agree -
McDavid is on anther level that very few players will come close to.
But he doesn't need to be Mcd to be a huge impact player and that's what I want him to become.
And I'm not saying he has no impact - what I am saying is he could dominate out there.

I wouldn't even say he has flaws - I'd phrase them more as development opportunities.
I fact, that same point applies to all of our younger players -

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

He is the Jets most productive player at 5 on 5 both this season and cumulatively since 16-17. He is also top 30 in the NHL in 5 on 5 scoring rates over that period having a roughly equivalent scoring rate as Barzal, Barkov and Huberdeau.

He definitely doesn't have elite vision and if he did he would probably be a superstar. As it is he is high end first line talent that drives play, puts up 60 to 65 points while being on the second unit pp, and draws penalties.

As with most players he has some shortcomings but I am still quite happy with how he has developed and performed for us.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I def think he does still have a bit of a tendency to not use his linemates and over stick handle still. However, I don't think it's as bad as it was when he first broke into the nhl.... But when he first broke in pretty sure he had inadequate low offensive iq linemates like thorburn. So, I can see it a bit tough on him.

If he can turn a few of those plays into more goals or assists, he'd be an even superior/more efficient 5v5 producer than he already is, and he might be the best on the team as it stands, even while leaving a few points on the ice.

I get the 5v5 numbers - he will always do well in that area due to his possession numbers.
The next step is driving play to a point where he is gaining zone and scoring points - one without the other just becomes a stat that we throw around.
If he can turn his possession into points at a higher rate (or at a higher ratio), he's our best player - I'd leave it at that.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I'd like to keep all our 3 under 25 wingers Connor Laine and Ehlers.
Trade one and in a year or 2 you are down to 2 really 2 top 6 wingers.
The 2C we are searching for wont have any good wingers to play with.

Jets have a 1 or 2 possibilities but still looks like a hope. Except for 81,29,27 the rest of the wingers are more suites at 3rd line for a contending team. Lets hope Vesa or Harkins or even still Roslo breaks in at top 6 consistantly.

You need 1 of Laine Connor or Ehlers to anchor the 2nd line if you want to be a contending team moving forward.

Reactions: Samus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad