Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
@Daximus
@Daximus
They'll just start letting people in. Money eventually trumps all, including human life. We see it time and time again.

At some point and to some degree, yes. It may not be enough, soon enough. Bigger businesses than the NHL are going to go under as a result of Covid if we don't get a vaccine soon.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
@Daximus
@Daximus
They still need to be good in order for them not to get caved at least if you want to win games.

A F group as strong as that one is not required in order to roll 4 lines.

Maurice likes a 2 line plus checking line configuration.

Last edited:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Man you think that the trade offers on the main boards for Laine are shit, you should check out the team boards.

Columbus trying to build a deal for Laine around Savard and Texier. LMAO. Get outta here with that nonsense.

I guess it’s the same as some of the offers we put in our board but it does make for an entertaining read just seeing how little teams want to offer for Patrik

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Man you think that the trade offers on the main boards for Laine are shit, you should check out the team boards.

Columbus trying to build a deal for Laine around Savard and Texier. LMAO. Get outta here with that nonsense.

I guess it’s the same as some of the offers we put in our board but it does make for an entertaining read just seeing how little teams want to offer for Patrik
They are all the same:
"your player sucks but I guess we'll do you a favour and take him off your hands for scraps. Actually these 9 pieces add up to way better than your crappy player."

If our guy sucks, why do you want him?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
@Neuf
@Neuf
Rangers definitely need a C more than a W and Panarin likely has that top LW locked up for his contract. Do they unload or demote Kreider? Wonder what a deal between LA and NYR would look like. LA has a lot of C depth if I recall correctly.

Kreider has an NMC. He isn't going anywhere.

I can see some need for a C in NY, but they have their #1 and candidates for #2. I think their biggest needs are at LD and RW. JMO.

I like the 3 way started by @SM a couple of days ago. Rumour, Trade, FA 2020-2021 COVID edition 3 ways are tough, but the way I modified it looked good to me. It might still need a little tinkering to satisfy everyone on value but I think it helped all 3 teams.

With my modifications:
NYR get 3 & 5 - draft Sanderson at 5. There is their LD
Jets get 3 & 22 (Car pick belongs to NYR) - take either Byfield or Stutzle, depending on LAK. Still have 10 + 22. Take Quinn at 10 and either Justin Barron or Helge Grans at 22. Sam Colangelo would be another good RW pick at 40.

Ottawa gets Laf and still has a late 1st plus a bucket load of 2nds. They haven't given up a roster player or near ready prospect to get there.

From where I sit, it works for everybody. The only problem I see is that Wpg gets futures, rather than win now players. It ignores our immediate window. But that window may have already closed when we lost virtually our entire D corps. We get to pick 3, 10, 22 & 40. That is transformative.

NYR - Give #1 + #22 - Get Laine + Sanderson
Sens - Give #3 + #5 - Get Lafreniere
Jets - Give Laine - Get Byfield/Stutzle + 22

That may favour the Jets by just a bit. I'm not sure there. I'll send Roslovic to Ottawa and '21 2nd to NYR.

More realistically, I see NYR making a deal with either Ottawa or LAK for that 1OA. There might be other teams that could also make good offers.

Last edited:
Reactions: SM

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Believe someone at the Athletic had suggested asking price for Laine is 2-1sts and top 4 dman or one 1st and top pair dman (a #1), and Jets were maybe having more quiet discussions with Florida.

So would that mean Jets are asking for Ekblad and #12?

Well if Chevy gets that, then god bless him, and I’m reluctantly on board. Ekblad and perhaps, Jarvis, Mercer, Guhle or Quinn to add to whomever we get at #10.

That would make for a very interesting draft day.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
They are all the same:
"your player sucks but I guess we'll do you a favour and take him off your hands for scraps. Actually these 9 pieces add up to way better than your crappy player."

If our guy sucks, why do you want him?
To be fair, they’re under the misconception on the CBJ forum that Laine is a locker room cancer.

Even if he were, that’s just a flat out embarrassing offer.

CBJ doesn’t have the guns to grab Laine if Jones, Werenski and PLD are off the table.

leer2006

Jan 20, 2010
Transcona
A F group as strong as that one is not required in order to roll 4 lines.

Maurice likes a 2 line plus checking line configuration.
That is why it doesn’t matter who we move or bring in. As long as PoMo want to play like that the Jet’s will never win. Those days in the NHL are gone.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

TBH some of the trade demands here on our board are almost equally as silly to them.......just saying.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Believe someone at the Athletic had suggested asking price for Laine is 2-1sts and top 4 dman or one 1st and top pair dman (a #1), and Jets were maybe having more quiet discussions with Florida.

Well if Chevy gets that, then god bless him, and I’m reluctantly on board. Ekblad and perhaps, Jarvis, Mercer, Guhle or Quinn to add to whomever we get at #10.

I would be fine with that deal as well.

Get Ekblad to shore up our top pair and draft Lapierre and maybe Quinn.

Potentially makes this te really deep in a couple of years.

I would also maybe see if Vegas will give us an asset to take Stastny.

Conner Scheifele Wheeler
Ehlers Stastney Roslovic
Copp Lowry xxx
Perrault Harkins Appelton

JoMo Ekblad
Xxd Pionk
Samberg Poolman

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013

Yeah, Texier is a year younger than Laine and has 19 points, but they don’t all think it would be smart to include him in the deal. Hilarious.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That is why it doesn’t matter who we move or bring in. As long as PoMo want to play like that the Jet’s will never win. Those days in the NHL are gone.

Up to a point, yes. But, as was pointed out to me, he did finally change when we had that very strong F corps for the '18 PO. But it appears that anything less and he just won't.

This year, he could have stayed with Harkins - Rosie - Appleton 3rd line
and Copp - Lowry - xxx checking 4th line, or 3b if you like. But as soon as injured players were back, he reverted to form.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Kreider has an NMC. He isn't going anywhere.

I can see some need for a C in NY, but they have their #1 and candidates for #2. I think their biggest needs are at LD and RW. JMO.

I like the 3 way started by @SM a couple of days ago. Rumour, Trade, FA 2020-2021 COVID edition 3 ways are tough, but the way I modified it looked good to me. It might still need a little tinkering to satisfy everyone on value but I think it helped all 3 teams.

NYR - Give #1 + #22 - Get Laine + Sanderson
Sens - Give #3 + #5 - Get Lafreniere
Jets - Give Laine - Get Byfield/Stutzle + 22

That may favour the Jets by just a bit. I'm not sure there. I'll send Roslovic to Ottawa and '21 2nd to NYR.

More realistically, I see NYR making a deal with either Ottawa or LAK for that 1OA. There might be other teams that could also make good offers.
I like it but can’t see OTT dumping both 3 and 5. Maybe they put up Brannstrom and then have the choice of Drysdale/Sanderson at 5OA?

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I'd be very tempted by Ekblad and #12 overall.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I saw the segment, though I’m not sure I trust Friedman with knowing much on the subject.

But if money isn’t the problem, then I’m more perplexed as they would rather lose, and keep their captain and #1C happy than perhaps building a winning team. They aren’t winning next year, or the year after, but might have pieces in 3 years, and by that time Wheeler will be 37 and a ‘Perreault’.

So if they trade Laine, who is our #1 RW’er in 3 years? Appleton? Roslovic? A young new draft pick with maybe a year of pro experience? A yet to be found FA?

Yes, that's who our 1RW would be. I'm not totally against that. We could either get a top 6 RW in return or draft one with #10. This is a good draft class for skilled RWs. I'm going with Quinn but there are several other possibilities depending on how the draft plays out.

There are a few trade scenarios that would return a young RW who is ready for the top 6. Obviously, a downgrade from Laine, but still top 6 capable. That kind of option would still leave us a little weak at RW in the future, after Wheeler is no longer a top 6 player. But we can't have everything.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

Then, trade 10, 12, and Copp for 2nd overall?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Up to a point, yes. But, as was pointed out to me, he did finally change when we had that very strong F corps for the '18 PO. But it appears that anything less and he just won't.

This year, he could have stayed with Harkins - Rosie - Appleton 3rd line
and Copp - Lowry - xxx checking 4th line, or 3b if you like. But as soon as injured players were back, he reverted to form.

That is kind of the behaviour about Maurice that I have observed over the years. If things aren't perfect as far as the roster goes he will revert into what is comfortable for him i.e defensive hockey, top 6 vs bottom 6 etc.

It also takes him too long to trust some of the kids with key roles down the lineup. As you mentioned that kid line was playing excellent hockey and could have given this team a real sound 3a/b scoring line. It seems Maurice didn't trust the kids enough to continue with it. He had to get the safety of his vets back in the lineup.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I like it but can’t see OTT dumping both 3 and 5. Maybe they put up Brannstrom and then have the choice of Drysdale/Sanderson at 5OA?

You had them giving up 3 and Tkachuk. BT was a 4th OA himself and is developing nicely. I think they would give up 5 before they would give him up.

I'd bet they be falling all over themselves to get this done with Brannstrom instead. He is progressing slowly and may be a little one dimensional. All offense, no defense. And maybe not all that much offense either, at the NHL level. Just guessing there. I haven't watched him. But he may not be the slam dunk everybody expected. 3 + Brann for Laf? In a heartbeat, IMO.

Do that and I don't think we need to add Rosie in the package going to Ottawa, but we might have to upgrade the add going to NYR.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016

It's probably a syndrome of overvaluing players on your team when looking at trading with another team. I do it myself too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad