Trade, Rumours & FA Thread, Offseason Version

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Ehlers gets things done all over the ice. If someone legit asked me to trade Laine for Ehlers I'd do it in a heartbeat. There is more to hockey than just shooting the puck. Ehlers does all those other things better than Laine by a country mile.
Don’t see it.

I see Ehlers carrying the puck with speed through neutral zone, gaining the zone, holding the puck for awhile and then nothing happens in the end. Except perhaps a turnover in ozone or at offensive blue line. Rarely does his holding the puck and looking to make a play result in a dangerous scoring chance.

Laine doesn’t do that granted, but as the late man in the zone, has the ability to finish off the rush.
If Chevy moves Laine, he better draft Jarvis or Quinn or both, or this team will struggle to score goals.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Sure, but the package could look very good on paper and still bust. Look at the Ladd deal, it looked like we were getting a quality prospect and a first rounder for him. Now years later, the pick Stanley looks like a bottom pairing at best dmen and Dano was a major bust here.

Its always risky trading a known quantity for lesser pieces and some futures.

Yes, but everything is risky. Doing nothing is risky. It would be risky signing Laine to 8x10.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Then when it’s time for Byfield to cash in, he get moved too. Gonna be hard for kid and families to invest themselves in players if when it’s time to pay them the team ships them out.

Everyone here is quick to bash Tverdovsky and Kilger as am I because that return wasn’t good, but they were recent Top 3 picks in their draft years. And yet here we are pining for other team’s #2 or # 6 picks as a centre piece of a deal. History should teach us that high picks don’t always reach the potential.

You can't really compare picks now to picks then. Teams hadn't figured out the importance of the draft. They built reams through wheeling and dealing. Just look at the number of horribad choices they used to make. A lot of guys taken top 20 and not making 50 NHL games. Good players drafted in the 8th and 9th rds. In the cap era, they put a lot more effort into making the right draft picks and they do a lot better.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Doesn't the draft come up this week? :laugh:

I think we will do 1 thing.

Eh we might do more. Maybe there is something different and Chevy is feeling the pressure. All it would take is a good signing or two and a real non forced trade or two and I will be very optimistic going into the year. I just can’t see how anything is different this offseason.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Don’t see it.

I see Ehlers carrying the puck with speed through neutral zone, gaining the zone, holding the puck for awhile and then nothing happens in the end. Except perhaps a turnover in ozone or at offensive blue line. Rarely does his holding the puck and looking to make a play result in a dangerous scoring chance.

Laine doesn’t do that granted, but as the late man in the zone, has the ability to finish off the rush.
If Chevy moves Laine, he better draft Jarvis or Quinn or both, or this team will struggle to score goals.

There's a lot of truth in this comment -

If Ehlers figures out how to make plays in the O zone, he'll be the most dangerous Jet my a mile.
He has zero problems entering the zone - he has a lot of difficulty making a decision once he's done so.

He has the skill and I hope he has the head, to make plays off the rush.
He's not in Halifax any more and he's not expected to do it all on his own -

Based on recent play, he's shooting more and that's great - now he needs to take a look around, see what is developing, and make quicker decisions.
IMO, if he can add playmaking to his game, he will be a notch above deadly.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well if he was really happy in that role do you think Chevy spends an asset on a player in Eakin so that they can move Wheeler back to RW especially when that line was performing quite well?

I think its pretty obvious that he isnt keen on playing C full time ans would like to be on the top line with Mark.

That is a common assumption - but maybe it is not C he dislikes, maybe it is the 2nd line. Which, if we don't trade Laine, is his near future anyway. Or if we get a good RW in return. Or, if his games slips just a bit more, even without those things.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Friedman thinks the Canes are interested in Laine and willing to offer Necas and a D ( Hamilton? Pesce?). Can't see Hamilton unless he has an extension.

Emptying Out The Notebook | Podcasts - Sportsnet.ca

Starts at around 47:30

Pesce + Necas is going in the right direction. I think it just needs a little more.

I say Pesce because I think Hamilton needs to be extended first and I don't see that happening. But who knows? Apparently Hamilton marches to the beat of his own drum. Maybe our little burg is just what he needs.

Reactions: KingBogo

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I personally think the team should be moving Conner over any winger. He pretty much consistently almost gives up what he produces.

I'd rather keep Laine and elevate Ehlers to the top line. Replace Conner with an actual play driving LW like Hall or Granlund.

I could buy that - but KC has committed here long term and that means something. Not that Laine might not also, but he hasn't yet. TBH, I think that is the difference, although there is a lot of chatter and speculation about other things, like the size of Laine's ask, etc.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Pesce + Necas is going in the right direction. I think it just needs a little more.

I say Pesce because I think Hamilton needs to be extended first and I don't see that happening. But who knows? Apparently Hamilton marches to the beat of his own drum. Maybe our little burg is just what he needs.

tbh if it was Necas, Pesce and 13th overall, I could potentially live with that.

still seems absolutely insane that this is even being discussed.

You know it’s likely happening when the Jets assign their propaganda machine TSN 1290 to mentally conditions us for this.

A lot of the guys on air talking like it’s a foregone conclusion.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Are you including when he traded the first captain of the Jets, Andrew Ladd? That wasn't a significant trade?

Since Ladd turned down the contract offer, you can say that one was forced too. It was significant that we didn't get stuck with that bad contract. It was significant that we ended up getting nothing in return, as it turned out.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
No evidence we lost any value on Kane by delaying any trade, widely reported Chevy made out very well on that trade......if you disagree that's fine but you would be in the minority.

I've stated many times on the Trouba trade Chevy might of considered trading him earlier and gotten a better return......sounds like we agree on that. I also stated in the last two years on Trouba arb rights Chevy knew exactly what he was doing and I have no issue with his decision at that part of the situation.

Well, sorry that none of us can ever produce any evidence of things that didn't happen. Sometimes we can reasonably project though.

It was widely reported at the time that he made out well. That was considering the circumstances. Considering the circumstances, I agree. But I said at the time and several times since that the balance on that trade depended on getting a strong player with that #25 pick. Now that pick is all we have left and he is mediocre. At least he is not a bust, like the return we got for Ladd.

I favoured trading Trouba much sooner. But i understand the argument for getting as much as possible out of him first, then trading him for what we could get. We did have a legit shot at a Cup while he was here. I can't argue with that just because we swung and missed. Real chances to win it all are rare. At least we had that and it was a helluva lot of fun at the time, while it lasted.

Reactions: JetsUK

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Don’t see it.

Doesn't matter if you don't see it, it's what actually happens.

Ehlers is better at zone entry/exit carries, zone entry/exit passing, he's even better at retrieving dump ins. He scores more 5v5, he assists more 5v5, he shoots more 5v5, he rushes the puck more, he takes less penalties and draws more penalties.

If anything I'd say Ehlers is the most underrated player on this team and Laine is the most overrated. Everything outside of PP scoring Ehlers does better.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yep. Drives me crazy when I hear the “water bug skating fast around getting nothing done” characterization of Nik, especially after that play-in. He’s great value for money and rarely takes a shift off. Easily one of our most valuable pieces. Should be a Jets untouchable.

There really isn't any stat you can use outside of PP scoring that paints him as a bad player and even then if he was put on a PP1 he likely increases that enough to be a 70-80 point player.

Reactions: Neuf

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wouldn't mind Steel either but his family connections are at the bottom of the list for reasons why.

I don't understand why a player being from Winnipeg or nearby is a selling point on players. I couldn't care less about that.

:laugh: and nearby is anywhere within about 1500 km.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
If these Laine rumors about him wanting to move on are true then I wish we had drafted Pierre Luc Dubois instead.

Reactions: DRC

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Ehlers gets things done all over the ice. If someone legit asked me to trade Laine for Ehlers I'd do it in a heartbeat. There is more to hockey than just shooting the puck. Ehlers does all those other things better than Laine by a country mile.

And the best thing about Ehlers is that he is such a low maintainence player. In an era where so many of the highly touted players act so entitled, demand top ice time and/or playing with top players including his draft cohort Nylander- it is refreshing to have someone who doesn't whine or complain and just carries on. That has to be huge for management, I know it would be for me if I was a GM.

I don't think we have ever heard him complain about icetime or show that in his body language, that's something when in this day and age even guys like Roslovic who have accomplished literally nothing complain about role and ice time. He's a top line player with an ego of a 4th liner like Hendricks.... atleast based on what we have heard about him and his personality.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
And the best thing about Ehlers is that he is such a low maintainence player. In an era where so many of the highly touted players act so entitled, demand top ice time and/or playing with top players including his draft cohort Nylander- it is refreshing to have someone who doesn't whine or complain and just carries on. That has to be huge for management, I know it would be for me if I was a GM.

I don't think we have ever heard him complain about icetime or show that in his body language, that's something when in this day and age even guys like Roslovic who have accomplished literally nothing complain about role and ice time. He's a top line player with an ego of a 4th liner like Hendricks.... atleast based on what we have heard about him and his personality.

Exactly. He plays where he is needed, does what he needs to do and works hard every night. Doesn't complain, took a great contract to allow the team to compete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad