Status
Not open for further replies.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Nope. Would not do that deal.
Hmmm I think a 2nd is fair for Green as a one year rental and RNH for Athanasiou(probably sign him for 3/3) is fair as it gives the Oilers some breathing space next year cap wise. That kids speed with McDavid would be something and then McDavid wouldn't be going 1 on 2 all the time

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Who would be down for trading RNH+2nd to Detroit for Mike Green and Andreas Athanasiou? He does play C as well so he could switch throughout the line up with Draisaitl or Strome

Maroon-McDavid-Athanasiou
Lucic-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Jokinen-Strome-Caggiula
Slepyshev-Letestu-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Russell-Benning
Nurse-Green

Our lack luster returns as of late is a little disappointing. If we could get AA for RNH and basically Green for a second rnd pick seems fair. Athanasiou's career seems to be taking off and looks really bright. And the fact he's just as fast as McDavid and 6'2" are real nice attributes.

I don't see AA going anywhere though. But sure would be interesting to see both McDavid and him on a line together.

He's played mostly on the left wing, but been played at centre and right wing a bit also. When he was in the OHL he was a centre.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Hmmm I think a 2nd is fair for Green as a one year rental and RNH for Athanasiou(probably sign him for 3/3) is fair as it gives the Oilers some breathing space next year cap wise. That kids speed with McDavid would be something and then McDavid wouldn't be going 1 on 2 all the time

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins isn't a cap dump. That trade makes us significantly weaker. Not to mention when Green walks, all you have left is Athanasiou. And people are over-rating the **** out of that kid right now.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Who would be down for trading RNH+2nd to Detroit for Mike Green and Andreas Athanasiou? He does play C as well so he could switch throughout the line up with Draisaitl or Strome

Maroon-McDavid-Athanasiou
Lucic-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Jokinen-Strome-Caggiula
Slepyshev-Letestu-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Russell-Benning
Nurse-Green

I dont really see how it helps Detroit.

I think something around RNH and David Savard would make a lot of sense for both teams.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I dont really see how it helps Detroit.

I think something around RNH and David Savard would make a lot of sense for both teams.

Except for giving them a 24 year old #1 center at the expense of a depth scoring winger and a pending UFA. They'd bend over backwards to make this deal.

As for Savard, I don't see where he fits for us long-term unless Benning is out. The Savard-type additions to the defense over then next few years are likely deadline adds for UFA defensemen. Our defense is pretty much set.

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Russell
Nurse - Benning

One goes in, someone has to come out.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Except for giving them a 24 year old #1 center at the expense of a depth scoring winger and a pending UFA. They'd bend over backwards to make this deal.

As for Savard, I don't see where he fits for us long-term unless Benning is out. The Savard-type additions to the defense over then next few years are likely deadline adds for UFA defensemen. Our defense is pretty much set.

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Russell
Nurse - Benning

One goes in, someone has to come out.

Depends how much Nurse and Benning want to re-up. I just dont see why Detroit does that deal when they have no RHD and they can probably re-sign Green. There top six is also pretty set with:

Tatar-Zetterberg-Nyquist
Mantha-Neilson-Abdelkader

If anything the deal would be around Abdelkader.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Depends how much Nurse and Benning want to re-up. I just dont see why Detroit does that deal when they have no RHD and they can probably re-sign Green. There top six is also pretty set with:

Tatar-Zetterberg-Nyquist
Mantha-Neilson-Abdelkader

If anything the deal would be around Abdelkader.

They could very easily make it work.

Larkin - RNH - Nyqvist
Tatar - Zetterberg - Mantha
Abdelkader - Nielsen - Svechnikov
Sheahan - Helm - Glendening

I agree they do have a dilemma regarding defense. Not so much in terms of handedness, as you can see their offense is in the same predicament. But Mike Green is literally their only point producing defenseman. And they are likely about to lose him without this trade happening.

Detroit's ****ed. And I'd prefer not helping them.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins isn't a cap dump. That trade makes us significantly weaker. Not to mention when Green walks, all you have left is Athanasiou. And people are over-rating the **** out of that kid right now.

A 2nd is fair value for Green. Look at what Shatty went for at the deadline

AA is a stud. Blashill is a moron and is giving him the Eakins treatment.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
A 2nd is fair value for Green. Look at what Shatty went for at the deadline

AA is a stud. Blashill is a moron and is giving him the Eakins treatment.

I don't care about Green.

Athanasiou is a flashy winger and has a lot of development still ahead of him. I'm not discounting the skill--I saw plenty of him in Barrie--but this is a kid who's trying to force his team's hand after putting up pedestrian numbers playing soft minutes on a bad hockey team. He's threatening to sign in Russia? Let the kid play in Russia.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Athanasiou is a flashy winger and has a lot of development still ahead of him. I'm not discounting the skill--I saw plenty of him in Barrie--but this is a kid who's trying to force his team's hand after putting up pedestrian numbers playing soft minutes on a bad hockey team. He's threatening to sign in Russia? Let the kid play in Russia.

Pedestrian #'s? Have you looked at his usage?

Again, this is a classic Eakins scenario.

AA is a stud. End of story. His coach is a moron

The Swedish Mafia is real

Green? His #'s are fantastic. On the Oil he could do major damage. Well worth a 2nd round for a season. If a team was serious about winning, Green would fit that profile to a T. Opinions aside, his stats trump that

Last edited:

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
They could very easily make it work.

Larkin - RNH - Nyqvist
Tatar - Zetterberg - Mantha
Abdelkader - Nielsen - Svechnikov
Sheahan - Helm - Glendening

I agree they do have a dilemma regarding defense. Not so much in terms of handedness, as you can see their offense is in the same predicament. But Mike Green is literally their only point producing defenseman. And they are likely about to lose him without this trade happening.

Detroit's ****ed. And I'd prefer not helping them.

The fact you have RNH above Zetterberg shows your bias. Rnh and Neilson would be duelling it out for the second line center spot. Not a chance that RNH is better then Zetterberg right now. As I said the deal would be around Abdelkader who could play on Mcdavids wing and is cost controlled. Face the facts RNH is not a #1 center. Theres a lot of teams he wouldnt even be a #2 center on.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
The fact you have RNH above Zetterberg shows your bias. Rnh and Neilson would be duelling it out for the second line center spot. Not a chance that RNH is better then Zetterberg right now. As I said the deal would be around Abdelkader who could play on Mcdavids wing and is cost controlled. Face the facts RNH is not a #1 center. Theres a lot of teams he wouldnt even be a #2 center on.

100%. RNH would be 3rd fittle to those 2.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary

Detroit is 3 million over the cap. Do you really expect him to sit and wait for Holland to fix his mess. As for the rest of your post the eye test and advanced stats have debunked that.

Oh, and RNH is a very poor mans 1C at best

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Off topic but anyone notice Talbot has a Southern accent? I get he lived in Alabama for a while, but still it seems like he's lived there almost his entire life the way he speaks. I guess Talbot is officially the best non-Texan Southern trained player (As he played his college years in Alabama before signing with the Rangers)?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Exactly. I also saw him a lot as a junior and a fair bit this year. He is obviously a great skater. But I think people are severely over rating him at this point. He could be a late bloomer or he could be Boedeker who was definitely a better junior.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Detroit is 3 million over the cap. Do you really expect him to sit and wait for Holland to fix his mess. As for the rest of your post the eye test and advanced stats have debunked that.

And yet the Detroit fans got all excited by the proposal. They know the eye test actually agrees with belair's assessment as of today because AA is a flashy winger who scored vs poor opposition. Many of the advanced stats tend to highly inflate such performances.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Chia really needs to get in on the PTO action..

With Sekera out our D is far from solid. We can still see a 3C and a RWer on PTO to push others.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

No, I have Zetterberg in the 2 slot because the 2C generally sees the top offensive competition and Zetterberg happens to be the better center, especially defensively. He also scores points regardless of his competition.

People are yelping about AA's usage? This is the exact reason why I have RNH as the #1C--to have him drive offense with two offensively minded players. Does this argument only work for specific players, guys?

And Justin Adbelkader makes $4.25m and is signed for an eternity. Did you not see the Oilers just bought out Benoit Pouliot?

Pedestrian #'s? Have you looked at his usage?

Again, this is a classic Eakins scenario.

AA is a stud. End of story. His coach is a moron

The Swedish Mafia is real

Green? His #'s are fantastic. On the Oil he could do major damage. Well worth a 2nd round for a season. If a team was serious about winning, Green would fit that profile to a T. Opinions aside, his stats trump that

I don't discount Green is fantastic. WHERE DOES HE FIT? He doesn't. Acquiring him now doesn't make sense.

As for AA. The kid is green. He scored 18 goals--albeit pretty ones--playing some fire-wagon hockey on a team going absolutely nowhere. You think that's the first time that's happened?

Last edited:

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

I honestly think AA thinks he can play for Team Canada and make about as much there as he would this year in Detroit. It seriously isn't a bad option for him. If I were Ken Holland, I'd be supportive and take the year to clean up some of the mess. But if AA's using his PP60 over that 34 game period that syz posted as an argument for a lucrative contract--LOL--this kid hasn't done squat yet.

As for Nuge, they could use a poor man's #1C. Zetterberg said he's done in two seasons. Father time may correct him. Nielsen is also getting up there and he's not quite the same player he was in NYI.

Like I said, Detroit would be all over this. Centers are impossible to acquire.

Last edited:

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
And you constantly beat the "You're wrong because I said so" drum.

I personally don't really give a damn about the state of the other 30 teams. If Vancouver sucks then boo hoo for them. If Quick gets injured then oh well.

I want the Oilers to do well and this is the year they should be pulling out all the stops to get better. Not just put the Oilmobile on cruise control and hope it all pans out.

Anything less than a second, maybe even third round appearance this year should be considered unacceptable and as much as people blame the refs for the Oilers losing in the playoffs, they had absolutely nothing to do with game 7 which the Oilers were hilariously outmatched and fortunate to only lose by a single goal.

You're looking at everything in a vacuum. That's where you're wrong. You're partially right if the Oilers get injured yeah that'll cause concern. However, the way you portray that only the Oilers would be utterly ****ed, is pretty wrong.

It's nice and all saying you don't care about how he 30 other teams do, even though you bring up how massively improved Calgary is. The point of you caring doesn't matter. The point that there's 30 other teams in the NHL dealing with similar issues like the doomsday prophecy you proclaim.

Anaheim lost Kesler, Lindholm, Vatanen, but you're too busy going oh boy, if he Oilers lose a player they're in big trouble!

Like I said, we get it. The Oilers alone are utterly ****ed if an injury occurs because that only happens to one team. That's your point.

And trust me, I'm not he only one saying that it's narrow minded.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

From what I seen theyre right at the cap but thats without Franzen on the IR. So they have about 3M in cap space once he goes on.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
No, I have Zetterberg in the 2 slot because the 2C generally sees the top offensive competition and Zetterberg happens to be the better center, especially defensively. He also scores points regardless of his competition.

People are yelping about AA's usage? This is the exact reason why I have RNH as the #1C--to have him drive offense with two offensively minded players. Does this argument only work for specific players, guys?

And Justin Adbelkader makes $4.25m and is signed for an eternity. Did you not see the Oilers just bought out Benoit Pouliot?

I don't discount Green is fantastic. WHERE DOES HE FIT? He doesn't. Acquiring him now doesn't make sense.

As for AA. The kid is green. He scored 18 goals--albeit pretty ones--playing some fire-wagon hockey on a team going absolutely nowhere. You think that's the first time that's happened?

Comparing Abdelkader to Pouliot is a joke. He had 1 down year, but Id put him on Mcdavids wing. Guy can skate, hit, fight, and score usually. Abdelkader on Mcdavids wing signed long term would be great as hes then cost controlled and if he puts up 50-60 points he cant ask for more. He can also beat the snot out of anyone who takes a run at Mcdavid.

Oiler forward core with Abdelkader.

Maroon-Mcdavid-Abdelkader
Lucic-Draisaitl-Slepyshev
Caggiula-Strome-Kassian
Jokinen-Letestu-Puljujarvi

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Comparing Abdelkader to Pouliot is a joke. He had 1 down year, but Id put him on Mcdavids wing. Guy can skate, hit, fight, and score usually. Abdelkader on Mcdavids wing signed long term would be great as hes then cost controlled and if he puts up 50-60 points he cant ask for more. He can also beat the snot out of anyone who takes a run at Mcdavid.

Oiler forward core with Abdelkader.

Maroon-Mcdavid-Abdelkader
Lucic-Draisaitl-Slepyshev
Caggiula-Strome-Kassian
Jokinen-Letestu-Puljujarvi

Jesus, that's awful.

Abdelkader isn't a top line player and has a god awful contract. Score usually? He had 7 goals, on pace for 9 last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad