Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: It's Officially Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Jets had the 2nd highest scoring team in the West last year, even just above us.

They can be better than Calgary with decent goaltending, their fan base just doesn't whine and cry all day about their goalies like Calgary fans do. Mason very well could be better than 35-year-old Smith next year.

Laine is going to be a legit superstar, Calgary hasn't had a player that good since prime Iginla (sorry little Hobbit doesn't cut it). And Scheifle is better than Monahan. Wheeler is better than any other Flames forward. Like I said forget just Edmonton, Winnipeg and Toronto have leap frogged Calgary too.

More high end talent for the Jets. I would not sleep on them, I could see them being better than Calgary very easily.

I'll continue to sleep on the Jets until they rid themselves of their utterly useless GM.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'll continue to sleep on the Jets until they rid themselves of their utterly useless GM.

This. Reminds me of MacT/Tambo. Afraid to move a strength for a weakness and just hopes everything falls into place.

I could see them being very good this year, especially if Mason plays well.

I could also see them making the playoffs and then getting swept in round 1 when Mason reverts back.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Interesting that Depres signed in Europe.

Didn't he just mutually void a pretty decent contract? Thought he was hurt and just leaving the game.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Nah, they bought him out. You can't do that when he's unfit to play.

It was a bit unclear when it happened

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/06/1...f-defenseman-simon-despres-by-buying-him-out/

They did buy him out, but this article suggests there was some sort of negotiation or settlement between the PA/NHL/Ducks to have it all go smoothly.

Suggests perhaps there was something else going on with despres beyond just the physical ramifications of post concussion symptoms. Who knows what though.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It was a bit unclear when it happened

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/06/1...f-defenseman-simon-despres-by-buying-him-out/

They did buy him out, but this article suggests there was some sort of negotiation or settlement between the PA/NHL/Ducks to have it all go smoothly.

Suggests perhaps there was something else going on with despres beyond just the physical ramifications of post concussion symptoms. Who knows what though.

Yeah, when the brain is involved there are considerably more factors in someone being deemed fit. We'll probably start seeing more and more of these types of cases as the concussion topic remains prevalent.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Looks like Devils have signed Drew Stafford. You can cancel any Stafford Oiler rumours now.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Tomas Vanek would be a great signing for us. But I think they want Puljujarvi to be in that spot instead.

The point totals make him look pretty enticing but I still like the idea of Gionta a lot more. He's the only guy left out there who played a good amount of time in all situations. He's still got a bit of speed left as well. He'd be a good veteran presence for the young guys.

Gionta at $1m, sign me up.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Meh, my guess is he'll be throwing teammates under the bus before Halloween.

35 year old goalie who's best season was in 2011/12. Declining numbers each year playing behind a team that was built around defence. The Flames defence is very overrated. Gio is already on the decline, Hamilton, Stone and Brodie are bad at defence and Harmonic is still going thru family problems.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
While I doubt the Oilers will be signing any more UFA players as they already have at least 14 forwards that I think all have decent shots at being on the opening night roster... I could still see them having a couple PTO players just to increase competition a little more in pre-season.

I'd personally like Winnik on a PTO if he's not signed by then.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
While I doubt the Oilers will be signing any more UFA players as they already have at least 14 forwards that I think all have decent shots at being on the opening night roster... I could still see them having a couple PTO players just to increase competition a little more in pre-season.

I'd personally like Winnik on a PTO if he's not signed by then.

he's old but i have time for iggy, especially on a pto. also would be up for doan. This team needs an old guy to win a cup for to make the team complete! :P

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I don't care how bad the goaltending supposedly was for the Flames, if you finish near the bottom of the league two years in a row for goals against with a variety of netminders it probably means that there are bigger issues. Especially when Elliott was fine with the Blues behind a D that's actually good.

Sounds like our goaltending woes for a few years. Scrivens, Fasth, Khabibulin, Nilsson, Dubnyk (though he did have some holes in his game) really weren't that bad. The "team defense" was atrocious ahead of them.

Talbot on the other hand is still a step ahead of all these guys.

The team had to play responsible hockey to achieve success. Having offensive superstars doesn't go far in today's NHL. Chiarelli's changes to the D and McLellan's coaching have made a huge impact to the teams success, not just McDavid.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I would like to see pizza boy start on the farm and sign either vanek, jagr or gionta to a 1 year deal

And I would like to see you drop the nickname "pizza boy" for Puljujarvi this year. It disturbs me for some reason. Thanks SharkBoy. :thumbu:

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Shark Boy sounds like some kind of teenage superhero.

Thanks, NF

sharkboy-and-lavagirl.jpg

That's cuz he is one. Lol.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Who would be down for trading RNH+2nd to Detroit for Mike Green and Andreas Athanasiou? He does play C as well so he could switch throughout the line up with Draisaitl or Strome

Maroon-McDavid-Athanasiou
Lucic-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Jokinen-Strome-Caggiula
Slepyshev-Letestu-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Russell-Benning
Nurse-Green

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad