Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: It's Officially Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Jesus, that's awful.

Abdelkader isn't a top line player and has a god awful contract. Score usually? He had 7 goals, on pace for 9 last year.

Sure, lets not look at the prior two years where he played with Datsyuk. Put up 19 goals and 23 along with 44, and 42 points respectively. This while bringing an edgy game.

I maintain that if there's a deal to be made with Detroit it will be around RNH and Abdelkader. Obviously there would be other pieces going to even it out, but thats the two main pieces.

Edit: Only other guy to maybe build a deal around would be Darren Helm

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Comparing Abdelkader to Pouliot is a joke. He had 1 down year, but Id put him on Mcdavids wing. Guy can skate, hit, fight, and score usually. Abdelkader on Mcdavids wing signed long term would be great as hes then cost controlled and if he puts up 50-60 points he cant ask for more. He can also beat the snot out of anyone who takes a run at Mcdavid.

Oiler forward core with Abdelkader.

Maroon-Mcdavid-Abdelkader
Lucic-Draisaitl-Slepyshev
Caggiula-Strome-Kassian
Jokinen-Letestu-Puljujarvi

No, it's not a joke. The two are about as comparable as you can get. Same age, similar output, same **** years last season. The massive difference is the fact Henrik Zetterberg pumped up Abdelkader's stats for two seasons and the Wings fell for it thinking he's the power forward that every team so covets. The Red Wings would take Ryan frigging O'Marra as the return for him if they could purge that anchor of a contract. You're gifting them a 24 year old center.

And if Connor McDavid can get that plug to pop 60 points next season in that RW slot, I'd be very worried about the contract we just gave to Leon Draisaitl because apparently the 77 points he put up there last season really isn't that impressive.

And do we not have enough guys who can beat the **** out of people? There's no need to surround McDavid with plugs.

RNH for Abdelkader....sigh. And I thought I'd heard everything.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
We need to get all over AA. We have the assets to acquire him. He's an impact player, under 25 only trending up.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Sure, lets not look at the prior two years where he played with Datsyuk. Put up 19 goals and 23 along with 44, and 42 points respectively. This while bringing an edgy game.

I maintain that if there's a deal to be made with Detroit it will be around RNH and Abdelkader. Obviously there would be other pieces going to even it out, but thats the two main pieces.

Edit: Only other guy to maybe build a deal around would be Darren Helm

You mean the same 2 years ago when Nuge put up 56 at a much younger age without playing with a Hall of Famer?

Jeez you must think very little of Nuge to pick much older players on worse contracts as the main trade pieces.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Who would be down for trading RNH+2nd to Detroit for Mike Green and Andreas Athanasiou? He does play C as well so he could switch throughout the line up with Draisaitl or Strome

I think this looks like a better and better possibility the longer AA's hold-out continues. He's the perfect age for our core, and adds a ton of speed to our already fleet-of-foot forward group. Throw in Green, a legit PP QB, and you have two major holes filled.

I would, though, start him at C- that's the attraction for me. $2.5M for term on a Jarnkrok-type deal would be perfect:

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-Strome-Puljujarvi
Caggiula-AA-Slepyshev
Jokinen-Letestu-Kassian

Klefa-Larsson
Russell-Green
Nurse-Benning

Once we get a better sense for where Strome and AA fit chemistry-wise the wings can be further tweaked, but that's a solid starting point.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think this looks like a better and better possibility the longer AA's hold-out continues. He's the perfect age for our core, and adds a ton of speed to our already fleet-of-foot forward group. Throw in Green, a legit PP QB, and you have two major holes filled.

I would, though, start him at C- that's the attraction for me. $2.5M for term on a Jarnkrok-type deal would be perfect:

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-Strome-Puljujarvi
Caggiula-AA-Slepyshev
Jokinen-Letestu-Kassian

Klefa-Larsson
Russell-Green
Nurse-Benning

Once we get a better sense for where Strome and AA fit chemistry-wise the wings can be further tweaked, but that's a solid starting point.

That forward group looks porous. We're paper thin.

And once Sekera's healthy, who comes out? Green doesn't fit!!!!

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Nick Holden is a decent defenceman who is expendable for the Rangers. He wouldn't cost an arm and would provide decent depth.

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
I have an offer for Oilers fans:

Right now: Matthews to Edmonton.
Next summer: Matthews and McDavid to Toronto.
Summer after that: McDavid to Edmonton.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Nick Holden is a decent defenceman who is expendable for the Rangers. He wouldn't cost an arm and would provide decent depth.

He makes some sense because he can play both sides of the ice, plays some PP and can come out of the lineup, if needed.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
How did Holland let Detroit get into cap hell. That team is littered with bad contracts. If we want to acquire AA it should be in a package with Green. We could offer our 2018 2nd plus two prospects to equal out the contracts.

The prospects wouldn't be anything substantial, maybe Pakarinen and Simpson. This gets Detroit under the cap.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
That forward group looks porous. We're paper thin.

But we'd at least have the cap space and flexibility to fix that. That's the point. However, Eberle and RNH were/are not the answers, and that should be clear by now.

And once Sekera's healthy, who comes out? Green doesn't fit!!!!

The lesser of Nurse or Benning. There's your trade chip to acquire a young, skilled winger- and no, I don't mean a prospect. As we all know, D hold much higher value, and we should easily be able to turn one of them (preferably Nurse) into a cost-controlled forward. The depth exists to replace him this year, as you note, and then you have Jones, Bear and a ton of others waiting in the wings.

If our lineup ended up something like this:

Maroon-McDavid-RW
Lucic-Draisaitl-Strome
Caggiula/Slepyshev-AA-Puljujarvi
Jokinen-Letestu-Kassian
Caggiula/Slepyshev, Khaira

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Green
Russell-Benning

That also sets us up to have incredible competition internally among wingers; Caggiula, Slepyshev, Puljujarvi, Strome and even AA can all play there, and as the needs of a game or series dictate, we can sub in the right guys. It's the only way to mitigate the cap crunch- lots of options, lots of young talent, and then you plug and play as required. That's how Pittsburgh won two Cups and that's how we're going to have to do it.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
No, it's not a joke. The two are about as comparable as you can get. Same age, similar output, same **** years last season. The massive difference is the fact Henrik Zetterberg pumped up Abdelkader's stats for two seasons and the Wings fell for it thinking he's the power forward that every team so covets. The Red Wings would take Ryan frigging O'Marra as the return for him if they could purge that anchor of a contract. You're gifting them a 24 year old center.

And if Connor McDavid can get that plug to pop 60 points next season in that RW slot, I'd be very worried about the contract we just gave to Leon Draisaitl because apparently the 77 points he put up there last season really isn't that impressive.

And do we not have enough guys who can beat the **** out of people? There's no need to surround McDavid with plugs.

RNH for Abdelkader....sigh. And I thought I'd heard everything.

You seem to be oblivious to the fact Abdelkader and Pouliot have vastly different playing styles. And also oblivious to the fact that I said other pieces would have to be included in the deal.

Thats besides the point because I dont see any reason for Detroit to give up Athanasiou or Green. Again if we're making a deal with Detroit they're going to have to move salary which means most likely Abdelkader, or Helm coming back our way.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You seem to be oblivious to the fact Abdelkader and Pouliot have vastly different playing styles. And also oblivious to the fact that I said other pieces would have to be included in the deal.

Thats besides the point because I dont see any reason for Detroit to give up Athanasiou or Green. Again if we're making a deal with Detroit they're going to have to move salary which means most likely Abdelkader, or Helm coming back our way.

And you seem oblivious to the fact Abdelkader is completely worthless and Detroit would be over the moon to be rid of him. Probably Helm too.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Athansiou just seems like a guy who would explode here. Man, I would really like to have him here.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
And you seem oblivious to the fact Abdelkader is completely worthless and Detroit would be over the moon to be rid of him. Probably Helm too.

You seem to be missing the fact that those two guys are the only guys Detroit would move to make room for RNH. So by default the deal has to center around Abdelkader.

If the deal is RNH+Patrick Russell+Platzer+Betker for Abdelkader+Svechnikov+Hronek+Rasmussen+Detroit 2nd

That dont look to bad

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
You seem to be missing the fact that those two guys are the only guys Detroit would move to make room for RNH. So by default the deal has to center around Abdelkader.

If the deal is RNH+Patrick Russell+Platzer+Betker for Abdelkader+Svechnikov+Hronek+Rasmussen+Detroit 2nd

That dont look to bad

That's crazy talk. I don't think I've ever seen a deal with so many pieces and so many of them insignificant. Why is Detroit giving up their recent top 10 pick? And why are we rushing to trade RNH this year when he fits into the team just fine, we can use the center depth, and we're not actually improving anywhere?

Let's re-visit detroit in a year. Both teams will have a better idea of where they need to go then.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
That's crazy talk. I don't think I've ever seen a deal with so many pieces and so many of them insignificant. Why is Detroit giving up their recent top 10 pick? And why are we rushing to trade RNH this year when he fits into the team just fine, we can use the center depth, and we're not actually improving anywhere?

Let's re-visit detroit in a year. Both teams will have a better idea of where they need to go then.

The deal is clearly tilted for Edmonton and those aren't inconsequential guys for Detroit. Those 3 guys are their top 3 prospects. I was just pointing out that just because Abdelkader is in the deal doesn't mean it would be an automatic loss for Edmonton.

Now in saying that people should get ready for the return on RNH to be underwhelming . If we're moving RNH we're not going to be getting a similar young forward back. We'll get either picks or prospects, an older guy, or a combination of both.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005

That dont look to bad

We'll now you're making more sense. Early it seemed like Abdelkader or Helm would be the main pieces in a Nuge return, not a cap dump. Svechnikov is the main piece in that return.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
We'll now you're making more sense. Early it seemed like Abdelkader or Helm would be the main pieces in a Nuge return, not a cap dump. Svechnikov is the main piece in that return.

Not to mention their most recent first rounder, and best prospect defenseman... :facepalm:

I thought the Eberle trade would sober up some people around here regarding the trade value of underperforming, high cap hit forwards, but apparently not.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Abdelkader? Ew, no.

We want to avoid guys who see their numbers dip significantly come playoff time.

Unless you're betting for the other team the Oilers are playing, because Justin has had 140 PIM's in only 64 playoff games. And those aren't all fights. Those are penalties that put his team on the PK.

Hard pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad