Rumor: Trade Rumors Thread XV: Rangers allowing a team to talk to Callahan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Rangers would be lucky if anyone offered just a first for cally. Never mind a first and stewart.

You obviously have no idea what the hell you're talking about. Do some homework before posting ridonkulous statements like this. Lesser players have gone for more, and recently too. :facepalm:

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
I find it hysterical that the same posters who say Callahan is hurt too much, is a glorified third liner, isn't worth a new contract, doesn't fit the system, etc etc, are now are crying at the possible return for Callahan. So, another team doesn't see the same things you see, right?

The trade proposals around Callahan the past few days have been a joke. A complete joke. No way a team is giving up two prospects and a 1st for Callahan. This is why I kept asking people what they would do at the deadline if Callahan can't be moved for fair value.

Maybe, just maybe the smarter thing to do is ride out the rest of the season, trade Callahan's rights at the draft for a pick, and use the cap space.

I doubt the deal would be Callahan for Stewart straight up. I bet we see conditional 2015 draft pick coming the Rangers way but that's not going to be enough to satisfy fans who want a A prospect, B prospect, a #1 pick......

The Rangers aren't rebuilding, those trade proposals posted here were fantasy. Pure fantasy....

MGF0723

Jan 2, 2013
New York, NY
this has glen sather written all over it. he traded brian leetch for gods sake.

an offer is on the table for cally. he rejected offer. hes asking for alot more. they are wayyy apart. not close. hes history.

enter chris freeking stewart.

ill tell you this, stewartis 100% potential and size. thats it. hes never won a puck battle along the boards. ever. he isnt tenacious at all. he cant cycle and he doesnt have a high compete level. hes a passive player. high end skills when he wants to use them.

he is, like others have said, wolski 2.0.

this guy is exactly what we DONT want here. blues fan would love to dump stewart on us. trust me. they want him gone.

for ryan callahan, this one would hurt me. personally.
I 110% agree. Like I posted earlier, blues fans on the forum would be more than happy to dump Stewart on us in return for Callahan.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
You obviously have no idea what the hell you're talking about. Do some homework before posting ridonkulous statements like this. Lesser players have gone for more, and recently too. :facepalm:

Lesser players with 19 points and a ton of injuries?

Just like everyone thought MDZ would bring back at least a first... Right.

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
Callahan and his agent must have realized before this rumor surfaced that lowering demands was the only way to stay. Maybe the Rangers are lowballing Callahan because they are ready to move in another direction.

If Stewart wasn't on the table (assuming he is), then it would be for the same reasons every other team is not offering the Rangers "more". You don't give away consistent performer with size, speed and fists, for a rental. Callahan is tough, is an awesome 3 on 5 defender. That's the kind of thing a contender would value.

But, what do I know? I think "heart and soul" is way overrated, to put it mildly. Or, do we believe that Hank straightening out his game, Nash lighting it up, and Staal getting better and better all the time is somehow related to Callahan returning to the lineup? I don't. Players these days are so savvy, if the average to way above average fan knew what went on in these guys heads, if they knew true insider stuff, the effect might be akin to a hippie finding out that aliens are real.

Stewart underperforms in St Louis? Wouldn't be the first power forward traded from Colorado who went into a funk. Way back in 96 Colorado traded Owen Nolan to the Sharks for Ozolinsh. Nolan went into a funk that lasted until his contract was set to run out. Then he had a career year. Maybe Stewart hates it in St. Louis. Especially considering where he was previously. That trade, if anybody remembers, brought out a furious response from Statsny's father. Imagine how Stewart must have felt.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I find it hysterical that the same posters who say Callahan is hurt too much, is a glorified third liner, isn't worth a new contract, doesn't fit the system, etc etc, are now are crying at the possible return for Callahan. So, another team doesn't see the same things you see, right?

Teams trading for Callahan this year would be contending teams hoping to add a piece to strengthen their chances at a cup. They don't necessarily care about Callahan's injury history or contract demands. He'd be a rental.

The Rangers however should be concerned about those things because if you spend a lot of money to re-sign him and he gets hurt a lot and his play really drops off, then you're in trouble.

That said yes the Rangers aren't going to get a magical huge return for Callahan if they trade him, but they should do better than Chris Stewart.

BarbaraAlphanse

Lol @ Dreger. First DZ for Franson would be a great trade for us. Now its Stewart for Cally?

:facepalm:

What he did was take a sentiment that we wanted a player, speculated based on who we're looking to offer, and has now turned it into a legitimate rumor (a legitimate one just because his twitter handle holds "TSN" on it).

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
might patrik berglund be the target ?

cally for berglund straight up ?

we cant be the only ones to realize our centerman are mostly ****ing awful.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
A fantasy....

Rangers keep Cally w/o resigning him, go on a roll and win the Cup (remember this is a fantasy).

Cally hoists the Cup and parades it down Broadway.

What are his demands then? Do we resign him or let him walk?

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
might patrik berglund be the target ?

cally for berglund straight up ?

we cant be the only ones to realize our centerman are mostly ****ing awful.

The blues aren't exactly loaded with young centers either...

They can much more easily move a winger than a center. Especially if they are getting a winger in return

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
Berglund doesn't change that. I'm gonna put this here as well, I didn't read the tweet as saying we'd trade Callahan for him, just that we're interested in Stewart. The Callahan part is Dreger speculating.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
Sorry i did not break out all the details of what the exact trade would be. Simply made a suggestion. Stewart is locked up under contract for at least next year. He gets his points. The Rangers would flip stewart plus another piece for another forward. It was a suggestion on a message board to think outside the box because I like some others here would not be too fond of stewart being the acquiring piece for Callahan.

The fact that you are drilling into this so deeply when no trade has even been made....is ridiculous.

I enjoy talking hockey. That is why I am on here, lol. Maybe it is ridiculous, but I am ok with that.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Berglund doesn't change that. I'm gonna put this here as well, I didn't read the tweet as saying we'd trade Callahan for him, just that we're interested in Stewart. The Callahan part is Dreger speculating.

That would make more sense.

The Rangers are interested in McGinn. They are interested in Stewart.

It sounds like, at leas to me, that these guys would be players the Rangers may go after IF they deal Callahan. Trade Callahan for a good return, acquire one of those players in a separate deal to fill the gap. Kind of like the Sharks did last year with moving Clowe and bringing in Torres.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Lesser players with 19 points and a ton of injuries?

Just like everyone thought MDZ would bring back at least a first... Right.

Klein could have been moved for a 1st. Sather and the Avs were discussing a DZ trade for their 1st.

If a 4th line center scrub like Gaustad can fetch a 1st, so can Callahan.

Look at last season's deadline. A twice-concussed Clowe went for a couple of picks, and he had a whopping 0 goals.

:dunce:

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I have wanted Stewart on this team for a while.

Not at the expense of Callahan.

Not liking thsi if this the deal (unless we get the Blues 1st back as well)

way to many holes in Stewarts game to justify a straight swap even with Callahan testing the UFA waters.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Teams trading for Callahan this year would be contending teams hoping to add a piece to strengthen their chances at a cup. They don't necessarily care about Callahan's injury history or contract demands. He'd be a rental.

The Rangers however should be concerned about those things because if you spend a lot of money to re-sign him and he gets hurt a lot and his play really drops off, then you're in trouble.

That said yes the Rangers aren't going to get a magical huge return for Callahan if they trade him, but they should do better than Chris Stewart.

But my point has been if the deal isn't going to bring back fair value it's pointless to trade him. Callahan has value to the Rangers this season, and the Rangers will have salary cap space if Callahan walks. You can't just give Callahan away. Trading him IN SEASON is a gamble that might not be worth it because it could disrupt the Rangers, who have finally started to play consistent hockey.

Can the Rangers get more than Stewart for Callahan? You would think so, but will they get as much as posters have predicted? No way.

I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed with the return for Callahan.

BarbaraAlphanse

I disagree. Trading him is a controversial decision and topic. Fans would be disgusted with the team, especially if the return did not justify the trade. The NHL is also a business and Callahan would provide plenty. His jersey is consistently in the top 10 sellers league-wide and that adds revenue to whichever team he goes to. Additionally, he's a perfect member for a team trying to surge for the playoffs and if in any way he contributes to a team moving forward a series, two, or even to the SC that will also add additional revenue. Whoever is trading for Cally isn't just trading for his intangibles... there is a way to measure his worth fiscally to a club.

Furthermore, for anyone who thinks Sather will trade him as a rental is likely out of their mind. Dreger's whole value was based on speculation that Callahan is going to be traded as a UFA. I would imagine for a trade of this magnitude, Sather needs to hit the return out of the ballpark, and to do that he'll need to allow the team trading for him to negotiate a contract with Callahan. It's definitely not an uncommon practice yet people are still speculating and operating under the pretense that we'll get a minimal return for him because he happens to be expiring. What will happen is Sather will ask for the moon and to justify that he'll tell the teams interested that they'll have a 48 or 72 hour window to extend him or they can choose to nullify a trade.

Finally, what makes the bolded untrue is everything that I just said and what it means for the Rangers. Trading Callahan will 1) temporarily or maybe even permanently alienate some fans. 2) it will mean losing the captain of this team, during a 2 month period where the team is gelling and surging and growing, and more than likely hurt the team's success this season, and maybe even next season as well. trading callahan implies that we are giving up on this season. no bueno. 3) What a less successful team means is less ticket sales, less playoff games, or essentially a lot less revenue. 4) talking about less revenue, we won't be getting that from his jersey sales any longer 5) considering 1-4, his worth to us is VAST. we're not just trading his intangibles, we're trading a captain, in the middle of a playoff run where we have a very tangible shot of going far, who earns us a lot of revenue as a team...

The return better be MASSIVE.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
What would an overpaid Stewart cost? He has been shopped all year. The Rangers need size and more goal scoring punch. Middling prospect + middle round pick? Not many teams want to add him @ 4+ million. Maybe the Rangers can add him for not too much in a separate deal?

Let Blaine Die

Holden out 4 a hero
Jan 4, 2012
NYC
What is the point of trading Callahan for Stewart? We should be trading for picks or a young player who could be here for the foreseeable future, not Chris ****ing Stewart, who in all likelihood won't be here for an entire season.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Klein could have been moved for a 1st. Sather and the Avs were discussing a DZ trade for their 1st.

Look at last season's deadline. A twice-concussed Clowe went for a couple of picks, and he had a whopping 0 goals.

They wanted to move DZ for a first and nobody would give up their first.

Clowe got moved for a 2nd. And got a massive deal in FA.

Clowe is probably similar to what Cally will get both as a trade and in FA.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Actually we traded 3 picks for Clowe. A 2nd, Florida's 3rd which was almost a 2nd, and a conditional 2nd/5th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia