Rumor: Trade Rumors Thread XV: Rangers allowing a team to talk to Callahan

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
You make it seem like Stewart is signed long term. He is only signed through next season. He is inconsistent. If the Rangers get a draft pick and/or prospect back with stewart than flipping stewart to another team is not outrageous.

Good point made here. Stewart has some value

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I think Vanek is a much better player than Stewart, that's how. The Isles have a chance to re-sign him, from what I've heard via Austrian media, he likes it there. If they're gonna sell him, they'll get a better return than Stewart. Vanek straight up for Stewart is worse than Callahan straight up for Stewart value wise.
I never explicitly said straight up. Just the starting point. As you said, Callahan for Stewart straight up is bad.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
I never explicitly said straight up. Just the starting point. As you said, Callahan for Stewart straight up is bad.

Okay then, my bad. I still don't think the Isles are interested, as Vanek is a very good match with Tavares. imo, they'll take their chances and try to re-sign the guy.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Again, not true at all. He's like Nash in the sense that he doesn't throw enough bone crushing hits, but because he's 6'4 it's somehow a major flaw in his game. Stewart effectively uses his size to get to the net and muscle defenders on the boards and on the rush. I don't need him to be Lucic.

He's not a fit in that system. He was doing very well in Colorado before he was traded and has quietly put up solid numbers with St. Louis.

He does do well in front of the net, I agree. Other than that, size is not in his game.

Again my problem is that he doesn't do any of these things consistently. You never know what Stewart you're going to get. Yeah, he'll likely be a better fit in this system, but if he's playing just as lazy here what's the point?

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
You make it seem like Stewart is signed long term. He is only signed through next season. He is inconsistent. If the Rangers get a draft pick and/or prospect back with stewart than flipping stewart to another team is not outrageous.

It's not the flipping of Stewart that is outrageous. Read what I wrote. It's flipping a UFA because he is a UFA, for someone who is not, just to flip him for another UFA. That does not make sense. The Rangers aren't flipping callahan for fun, it is because they think they can't sign him for how much he wants. Then you basically want to trade him for someone who is DEFINITELY going to free agency and going to get top dollar on vanek. It literally does not make sense.

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
No way Fast or Kristo should be reasons why the Rangers should pass on Stewart. Especially Kristo. How many 2nd liners debut at 24?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He does do well in front of the net, I agree. Other than that, size is not in his game.

Again my problem is that he doesn't do any of these things consistently. You never know what Stewart you're going to get. Yeah, he'll likely be a better fit in this system, but if he's playing just as lazy here what's the point?

Because he ads size and another 25 goals from the wing which is a plus.

I understand he doesn't show effort all the time. But as A piece coming back for Callahan, it's an option.

Maybe they get Stewart + from the Blues an then flip him elsewhere for other pieces. That's possible.

steviek3b

Feb 18, 2005
Northern, NJ
Anyone think this might have been leaked to the media to alert Callahan and his people that he might actually be traded if their demands are not lowered on a next contract? It could just be a bargaining tactic by Sather and the Rangers.

Also, Sather has been pretty good with trades. So I don't think it would be Callahan for Stewart straight up.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
Anyone think this might have been leaked to the media to alert Callahan and his people that he might actually be traded if their demands are not lowered on a next contract? It could just be a bargaining tactic by Sather and the Rangers.

Also, Sather has been pretty good with trades. So I don't think it would be Callahan for Stewart straight up.

Yes, absolutely. It's all part of the game.

MGF0723

Jan 2, 2013
New York, NY
Just checked out the Blues board to see what their views were. Apparently they would be more than happy to dump Stewart and get Callahan. Not a fan favorite by any means.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
It's not the flipping of Stewart that is outrageous. Read what I wrote. It's flipping a UFA because he is a UFA, for someone who is not, just to flip him for another UFA. That does not make sense. The Rangers aren't flipping callahan for fun, it is because they think they can't sign him for how much he wants. Then you basically want to trade him for someone who is DEFINITELY going to free agency and going to get top dollar on vanek. It literally does not make sense.
Again, as I stated the rangers would not be trading Callahan for Stewart straight up. They hopefully get a draft pick and potentially a prospect back. Keep the pick and prospect and flip Stewart. And how do you know Vanek is definitely going to free agency? The other guy stated austrian media has suggested Vanek likes it in the tri state area.

Last edited:

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Because he ads size and another 25 goals from the wing which is a plus.

I understand he doesn't show effort all the time. But as A piece coming back for Callahan, it's an option.

Maybe they get Stewart + from the Blues an then flip him elsewhere for other pieces. That's possible.

He has 2 goals the entire month of January.

He had 0 in his first 10 games.

I just think we have enough streaky, enigmatic players. He adds size, and some toughness, but come on. How many players on this team have to be enigmas?

I do kinda like the idea of flipping him again for a pick or something next year.

Literally, if a 1st is coming back I'd be more content.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Rangers would be lucky if anyone offered just a first for cally. Never mind a first and stewart.

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
I really haven't watched Stewart play...like, at all considering he's in the Western Conference, and he hasn't done anything to make him stand out when he did play the Rangers. However, looking at his stats, he has 202 points in 319 games. Callahan has 219 in 405 games. Stewart is a .63 PPG over his career, while Callahan is a .56.

Since 2009-2010, he's had a 64 point season (77 games), 53 points (62 games), 30 points (79 games), 36 points (48 games), and this year has 25 points (52 games). Not sure what the formula is for determining a players pace throughout the season, but he'll probably finish with over 50 points which is right around Callahan's average as well.

This guy seems to be a better player than Callahan when he wants to be. That's the huge turnoff though from what I'm reading. And, giving up a player of Callahan's stature (him being home grown, our captain, and giving it all) for a player like Stewart is what's worrying people. But, if he plays to his potential, he can be a very dangerous player.

I don't want to trade Callahan to be completely honest, but I understand he's not worth 6 million a year with 19 points on the year. He just hasn't been a factor offensively this year and while not his fault, does get injured.

I'm don't think I'm against trading Callahan for Stewart, but I think I'd want something else in the deal just because of how much Callahan has meant to this organization since he's been brought up, even if the value of their skills are pretty close.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
He has 2 goals the entire month of January.

He had 0 in his first 10 games.

I just think we have enough streaky, enigmatic players. He adds size, and some toughness, but come on. How many players on this team have to be enigmas?

I mean I'm not sure what kind of math you are doing... But a 25 goal scorer can only score in 25 games at most.

They therefore HAVE to be streaky in terms of goal scoring. There's no other way around it.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
Again, as I stated the rangers would not be trading Callahan for Stewart straight up. They hopefully get a draft pick and potentially a prospect back. Keep the pick and prospect and flip Stewart. And how do you know Vanek is definitely going to free agency? The other guy stated australian media has suggested Vanek likes it in the tri state area.

He would go to free agency for the exact reason that Callahan might be getting traded. The Rangers have 12 impending free agents going into next season. It does not make sense to trade one impending UFA for basically another who would only want more money than the first impending UFA that you just traded.

Also, so you're saying that Callahan has more value than Vanek, basicallly?

You're saying we get Stewart + prospect or pick, keep pick or prospect then trade Stewart for Vanek. Or in other words...Callahan has more value than Vanek. That is ridiculous.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
this has glen sather written all over it. he traded brian leetch for gods sake.

an offer is on the table for cally. he rejected offer. hes asking for alot more. they are wayyy apart. not close. hes history.

enter chris freeking stewart.

ill tell you this, stewartis 100% potential and size. thats it. hes never won a puck battle along the boards. ever. he isnt tenacious at all. he cant cycle and he doesnt have a high compete level. hes a passive player. high end skills when he wants to use them.

he is, like others have said, wolski 2.0.

this guy is exactly what we DONT want here. blues fan would love to dump stewart on us. trust me. they want him gone.

for ryan callahan, this one would hurt me. personally.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
Again, as I stated the rangers would not be trading Callahan for Stewart straight up. They hopefully get a draft pick and potentially a prospect back. Keep the pick and prospect and flip Stewart. And how do you know Vanek is definitely going to free agency? The other guy stated australian media has suggested Vanek likes it in the tri state area.

to be a wise-ass, that'd be "Austrian" for you. We kinda like that error here. :laugh:

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
He would go to free agency for the exact reason that Callahan might be getting traded. The Rangers have 12 impending free agents going into next season. It does not make sense to trade one impending UFA for basically another who would only want more money than the first impending UFA that you just traded.

Also, so you're saying that Callahan has more value than Vanek, basicallly?

You're saying we get Stewart + prospect or pick, keep pick or prospect then trade Stewart for Vanek. Or in other words...Callahan has more value than Vanek. That is ridiculous.
Sorry i did not break out all the details of what the exact trade would be. Simply made a suggestion. Stewart is locked up under contract for at least next year. He gets his points. The Rangers would flip stewart plus another piece for another forward. It was a suggestion on a message board to think outside the box because I like some others here would not be too fond of stewart being the acquiring piece for Callahan.

The fact that you are drilling into this so deeply when no trade has even been made....is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad