Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I think we can put the "Sens searching for a top 6 player" to bed at this point. It's gone on over multiple years and GMs. It ain't happening.

Ottawa's been looking for a top 6 player every year since they tried to trade for Brad Isbister.

The fact of the matter is, in today's NHL, the cost to acquire a skilled, young, top 6 forward is usually prohibitive. You certainly won't trade Chris Wideman or Ben Harpur for one.

Ottawa's best bet is for Colin White to be that guy, but Boucher will need to put him in that position at some point this year and let him sink or swim. That means giving him 15-18 minutes a night consistently, even if he makes some mistakes. It's not a sure thing, but maybe he becomes Jake Guentzel.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'd be ok with it, but that suggestion will get you lynched around here.

Pageau plus for a true top 6 player or even top 3 player means the team would improve skill wise. That should lead to the playoffs and possibly make this team a contender. I like Pageau; but I am not married to him,

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Pageau plus for a true top 6 player or even top 3 player means the team would improve skill wise. That should lead to the playoffs and possibly make this team a contender. I like Pageau; but I am not married to him,

He makes a decent salary too so it would help to balance out salaries in a trade. That will probably be the issue with any acquisitions, dollars in probably require close to equal dollars out.

Reactions: Cosmix

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Ottawa's been looking for a top 6 player every year since they tried to trade for Brad Isbister.

The fact of the matter is, in today's NHL, the cost to acquire a skilled, young, top 6 forward is usually prohibitive. You certainly won't trade Chris Wideman or Ben Harpur for one.

Ottawa's best bet is for Colin White to be that guy, but Boucher will need to put him in that position at some point this year and let him sink or swim. That means giving him 15-18 minutes a night consistently, even if he makes some mistakes. It's not a sure thing, but maybe he becomes Jake Guentzel.

Didn't we sign Isbister at the end of his career and then he just never reported to the farm?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Sure glad I didn't say it.

He's not making a mil anymore, he's officially open for criticism lol. Everyone loves an overachiever until they're not really overachieving since they're being paid accordingly. Look at Fisher, he was a folk hero but once he got that last big contract, it just changed the way he was valued.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Another guy who would be a good target is Josh Bailey from the Islanders. As an upcoming UFA, his situation is definitely tied to Tavares' decision, but if they Isles fall out of the race and Tavares remains unsigned, they could opt to expedite the rebuild. I don't think he resigns unless Tavares does.

Defensively responsible, good skater, playmaker, winger... checks all of Boucher's boxes.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Sometime after White returns or at the deadline when White should be ready for 3rd line responsibility. They should know by then if he projects to be a better NHL centre over the next couple of yrs. If not, they still have Chlapik & Brown coming who can both play centre in the NHL or LW.

To Colorado: 2018 1st rd pick, Chris Wideman RD, JG Pageau C & Francis Perron LW
To Ottawa: Gabriel Landeskog LW/RW

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Sometime after White returns or at the deadline when White should be ready for 3rd line responsibility. They should know by then if he projects to be a better NHL centre over the next couple of yrs. If not, they still have Chlapik & Brown coming who can both play centre in the NHL or LW.

To Colorado: 2018 1st rd pick, Chris Wideman RD, JG Pageau C & Francis Perron LW

I would do it but its not enough imo unless they really value Perron.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016

Sakic laughs and hangs up the phone, awful deal for Colorado

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

That would really hurt come playoff time. Dude has IT in the playoffs. I'd really hate to lose him.

Reactions: Flamingo

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
AA just agreed to a 1 year deal in Detroit... they have to create cap space to make it official. Dorion has to make a deal to bring in a forward. Can't wait to see what he comes up with

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Nyqvist or Tatar would be amazing pickups.

The Wings need D and we have lots of depth at that position, maybe there's a deal to be made?

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I want an epic top pairing.
OEL/Karlsson

1st
MacArthur - to remove cap and stuff
Claesson - just a filler for the D core
White - Top A Prospect
Englund - Very high end prospect

Sens cap goes down a little.
We could even upgrade their goalie prospect.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
OEL/Karlsson

1st
White - Top A Prospect

Englund is a nothing prospect. OEL would be awesome tho.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
OEL/Karlsson

1st
White - Top A Prospect

This is a terrible deal for Arizona.

If they trade OEL, who is a #1D, they need a foundational piece coming back and a middle round 1rst and Colin White doesn't do that for them.

They'd ask for Chabot and probably another great player

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Turris for Jenner + 2nd

Brown + 1st + Wideman for Pavelski + 4th

Jenner-Pavelski-Stone
Hoffman-Brassard-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Dzingel
Burrows-Thompson-Pyatt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad