Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Guys, I started going through some KHL players and I found some options. Hear me out. I have two words for you.

PETER.....hold it...that's right...REGIN.

Anyone else remember Ilya Zubov? What a steal.
Igor Mirnov is still around too. So much for mid-round Russians.

Klinkhammer is there.
Meszaros
Andre Petterson is actually killing it.
Nikita Filatov, not so much.

David Rundblad is.....alive.
Matt Gilroy is there in case our entire defense dies suddenly.
I'm a little disappointed in Kaspars Daugavins. His hometown Dynamo Riga is struggling but instead he's playing for Yaroslavl.

Reactions: NyQuil

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Guys, I started going through some KHL players and I found some options. Hear me out. I have two words for you.

PETER.....hold it...that's right...REGIN.

Anyone else remember Ilya Zubov? What a steal.
Igor Mirnov is still around too. So much for mid-round Russians.

Klinkhammer is there.
Meszaros
Andre Petterson is actually killing it.
Nikita Filatov, not so much.

David Rundblad is.....alive.
Matt Gilroy is there in case our entire defense dies suddenly.
I'm a little disappointed in Kaspars Daugavins. His hometown Dynamo Riga is struggling but instead he's playing for Yaroslavl.

Brandon Bochenski just retired from the KHL as the all-time leading non-Russian scorer.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Saw on the main board Duchene for juolevi of Vancouver is being tossed around. Surely we can do better than Juolevi for Duchene can't we?

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Saw on the main board Duchene for juolevi of Vancouver is being tossed around. Surely we can do better than Juolevi for Duchene can't we?

The thing with Juolevi is that a lot of his perceived "value" in a trade comes from his old draft position. Ottawa has no one with that kind of "value" that they would consider trading.

A lot of the Duchene trade comes down to politics/media. Sakic is probably nervous about being attacked by pundits after trading Duchene. The franchise doesn't need a black eye. He needs a trade that looks good on paper. Juolevi might not be a top-end prospect anymore, but he can be sold as one in interviews, to the media, and to fans.

For the sake of argument, say for a second that Lajoie is on the same level as Juolevi as a prospect right now. Even if we offered the same deal as Vancouver and swapped Lajoie for Juolevi, they'd never take it, even if they liked Lajoie more as a prospect because of the politics involved.

Ottawa could "beat" any reasonable offer when it comes to prospects, but they can't beat the perception of value that a prospect like Juolevi would involve. Lazar might have brought that, but he's gone now.

Reactions: Sens

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
Ottawa could "beat" any reasonable offer when it comes to prospects, but they can't beat the perception of value that a prospect like Juolevi would involve. Lazar might have brought that, but he's gone now.

So what you're saying is that trading Puemple was a gigantic mistake that could cost us Duchene. :D

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Lazar's "perception of value" was a late 2nd round pick in what at the time was being portrayed as a bad draft. I don't see how that point makes any sense.

edit: read your post and not just the snippet quoted. I agree with the overall point you're trying to make, but Lazar is a bad example. Doesn't really matter though, I agree with what you're trying to say.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Agreed about him being able to stay up in 2 years, but this isn't 2 years from now. He looks like he's struggling at the AHL level right now... which is totally understandable, considering it's his first taste of real pro hockey - lots of kids, even blue chip prospects, sometimes need a few months to get up to speed and learn what works and what doesn't as a professional - but he's simply not in a position to take top-6 NHL minutes right now. It would be highly irresponsible of us to set him up to fail like that.

Giving a kid that much responsibility before he's ready for it can destroy his confidence. He clearly hasn't yet caught up to the AHL level, why double-down on him right now, even as a fill-in? Let the kid find his footing against journeymen minor-leaguers first before throwing him to the wolves.

Chlapik is struggling? I was not aware . I had the impression he was playing well. I know he doesn't have a lot of points but he has been a little snake bit... regardless I completely understand your point of view on it. I have only been able to see 1 game and I caught 2 on the radio. I did not get the impression he was struggling.

just an fyi... not trying to enhance my point which is really less of a point , than a wish to see him get a chance.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Lazar's "perception of value" was a late 2nd round pick in what at the time was being portrayed as a bad draft. I don't see how that point makes any sense.

I think you're confusing the point a little. I'm saying that politics, media, and fans perceptions matter when you're trading a big piece.

To that end, if Lazar is "worth" a second round pick, and Sakic is seeking a young forward like Lazar as part of a Duchene package, he would rather take Lazar compared to a 2nd rounder since it would be easier to justify/sell to the media and fans since perceptions of player value are a fairly nebulous concept in general and that draft position plays into that.

It is no secret that high draft picks get far more "rope developmentally speaking.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think you're confusing the point a little. I'm saying that politics, media, and fans perceptions matter when you're trading a big piece.

To that end, if Lazar is "worth" a second round pick, and Sakic is seeking a young forward like Lazar as part of a Duchene package, he would rather take Lazar compared to a 2nd rounder since it would be easier to justify/sell to the media and fans since perceptions of player value are a fairly nebulous concept in general and that draft position plays into that.

It is no secret that high draft picks get far more "rope developmentally speaking.

I wonder about that.

The nice thing about a draft pick is that their potential has no ceiling. People are conditioned to imagine the best case scenario, and not the worst.

A player suddenly has a name and a history and a game log.

At the same time, it's not as sexy as seeing some new face with your team's shirt on.

Not sure where I stand on this one.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

I understand the point. Edited most post after, sometimes I read threads backwards like a moron and I only saw the quoted portion of your post which caused me to take it out of context. My bad.

"edit: read your post and not just the snippet quoted. I agree with the overall point you're trying to make, but Lazar is a bad example. Doesn't really matter though, I agree with what you're trying to say."

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
The thing is. I also agree with Nyquil as well. More specifically about prospects vs draft picks. Older prospects who aren't coming out "gangbusters" seem tremendously undervalued compared to late round draft picks. Players too.

Lazar vs 2nd rounder is a poor example. Really is should be more like Harpur vs say, Morin. Morin will hold some value, Hapur meanwhile, next to none, even though, at this point, I'd consider Harpur the better prospect.

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Vegas is down two goalies. Do you think there's any way they take Hammond?

I looked up his hockey DB page and am surprised he is actually playing in the AHL ahead of Chris Driedger. His numbers are good as well.....

Watch him have another big run right at the end of his contract....

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I was all over trading Hammond for a bag of pucks but as the team does better, the more I worry....what happens if we lose Anderson...Condon can probably get us to the playoffs if the team plays well, but who would back him up?

That security is worth something.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Vegas probably gets the equivalent value to 1+2+3 for Neal

A good prospect, a late 1st and a mid pick sweetener (a bidding war they go with the team that offers the best third piece)

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
James Neal would be so perfect rn.

I guess Perron would be cheap though?

James Neal would be a great add there's no denying that but IMO the cost to acquire him wouldn't be worth it. Vegas is going to want a 1st+ great prospect for him (at least) at the deadline, I'd rather go after someone lower profile for cheaper

White's also going to be back soon and with Ryan out I'd love for him to get an extended look in the top 6 on the wing

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I looked up his hockey DB page and am surprised he is actually playing in the AHL ahead of Chris Driedger. His numbers are good as well.....

Watch him have another big run right at the end of his contract....

Is it really a surprise though? Hammond had that crazy stretch for us two years ago. Then injuries hit. I really do think, if Hammond is 100% healthy, he could be a decent NHL backup for someone.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
He was decent as a backup the year after his monster year. Of the three years he was on the Sens before this one, he only had one "bad" year that was also injury marred where he only played 6 games.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Is it really a surprise though? Hammond had that crazy stretch for us two years ago. Then injuries hit. I really do think, if Hammond is 100% healthy, he could be a decent NHL backup for someone.

A decent backup is consistent. Most people would probably take the worse backup that they know will stay healthy and deliver consistent performances on the pressure of playing sporadic games.

The only way Hammond is getting another NHL job is if he gets really lucky this season by going somewhere he can start for a period of time, and has another big run that makes a GM think there might be something more there potential wise. Nobody is taking a chance on him as a backup with his injury history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad