Speculation: Trade Rumors and Proposals Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
It's a slow day for me and I've been doing some thinking with regards to our centers. Assuming we pickup another center with our first round pick we will have an absolute log jam at that position. I mean the bottom six has Knight, Reinhart, Granlund, Stajan and the top six will have Monahan, Backlund and whoever we draft plus Jankowski two years out. So I'm thinking we package some players and maybe add a second rounder and get ourselves another first rounder.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
It's a slow day for me and I've been doing some thinking with regards to our centers. Assuming we pickup another center with our first round pick we will have an absolute log jam at that position. I mean the bottom six has Knight, Reinhart, Granlund, Stajan and the top six will have Monahan, Backlund and whoever we draft plus Jankowski two years out. So I'm thinking we package some players and maybe add a second rounder and get ourselves another first rounder.

Don't forget Arnold and Agostino, both of whom should be in training camp in the fall (if they sign)

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Reinhart, Granlund can play wing and to me if someone plays both they need to play wing. You need to be a natural. But I agree with the log jam. And Agostino doesn't play C. But the question is who do we move. Reinhart would be the top pick. Arnold has chem with Gaudreau. I'd wait to see how Jankowski develops. Backlund or Granlund would get the most return. I'd keep Stajan dor leadership. I say keep al of them and wat until they develop

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
What's everyone's thoughts on maybe going after a guy like Ryan Ellis as an RFA this summer?

His age and development go along pretty well with the rebuild and he can develop into a pretty decent role going forward.

The only thing that worries me about drafting Dmen now is that they're development might go longer than the rebuild needs. Looking at our forwards last night against Anaheim, we could have a pretty great young roster in 3-4 years but a new dman can take like 6+ to develop. Having a guy like Ellis would have his development peaking around the same time as our forwards.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
What's everyone's thoughts on maybe going after a guy like Ryan Ellis as an RFA this summer?

His age and development go along pretty well with the rebuild and he can develop into a pretty decent role going forward.

The only thing that worries me about drafting Dmen now is that they're development might go longer than the rebuild needs. Looking at our forwards last night against Anaheim, we could have a pretty great young roster in 3-4 years but a new dman can take like 6+ to develop. Having a guy like Ellis would have his development peaking around the same time as our forwards.

I like RFA offer sheets because it hand cuffs other organizations. Most of them that we've seen get matched.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I like RFA offer sheets because it hand cuffs other organizations. Most of them that we've seen get matched.

with how solid Nashville is at D, would they be as inclined to pay what we would for Ellis though? I guess all we'd want to offer is the $3.3mm limit for 2nd rd compensation, which I can see them matching anyways.

But you guys get my point about targeting a player just entering the league now after having a few years to develop vs. drafting a guy like Ekblad now.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

I feel like guys who are capable of being top pairing d-men are going to be too highly valued by their organizations to pry away without paying a hefty price. And guys who are capable of being 3-4 d-men aren't that hard to come by in FA or by trade (Wideman, Russell, Smid, etc.).

We also have d-men in our system right now who may become impact players, like Wotherspoon, Ramage and Sieloff.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I like Ellis, but he's very, very similar to Brodie and Russell. I'd be interested in trading for him, however Russell or Wideman would need to be going the other way.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
I say we package our two second round picks to chicago for Kevin Hayes. The guy has to become a flame with his chemistry with JG and Arnold

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I say we package our two second round picks to chicago for Kevin Hayes. The guy has to become a flame with his chemistry with JG and Arnold

Arnold and Gaudrea could probably built chemistry with anyone. You got an offensive dynamite who needs not to worry about defense because Arnold always takes care of it. Hayes is just the guy on the other end

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
Arnold and Gaudrea could probably built chemistry with anyone. You got an offensive dynamite who needs not to worry about defense because Arnold always takes care of it. Hayes is just the guy on the other end

I wouldn't call a 6'4" 216lb RW with 51 points in 34 games "just the guy on the other end". He's a big bodied guy that Burke keeps saying we need, he can clearly score goals, can get the puck to the guy who can score more and he has some mad chemistry with Arnold and JG just by seeing his point production rise in one season. If we can get the best line in college hockey together in the NHL or Abbotsford why shouldn't we? Especially since Chicago is so stacked and would probably take those two second rounders for him. From what I've seen he's a better version of Colborne.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I wouldn't call a 6'4" 216lb RW with 51 points in 34 games "just the guy on the other end". He's a big bodied guy that Burke keeps saying we need, he can clearly score goals, can get the puck to the guy who can score more and he has some mad chemistry with Arnold and JG just by seeing his point production rise in one season. If we can get the best line in college hockey together in the NHL or Abbotsford why shouldn't we? Especially since Chicago is so stacked and would probably take those two second rounders for him. From what I've seen he's a better version of Colborne.

It's a great idea to bring a successful line over, but realistically, what are the chances that you promote an entire line from the minors to play together? And how long do they play together?

What happens if Arnold or Hayes can't make the transition? Or JG moves up the chart to play with Monahan? Then you've given up 2 seconds to pay for chemistry when you could have paid one for a similar type player.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm all for getting Hayes, but that line would never likely play together in the NHL. Gaudreau and Hayes both project to be top 6 players, whereas Arnold projects as a bottom 6 guy. Hopefully I am wrong though.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm all for getting Hayes, but that line would never likely play together in the NHL. Gaudreau and Hayes both project to be top 6 players, whereas Arnold projects as a bottom 6 guy. Hopefully I am wrong though.

Isn't Kane playing with Handzus this season? Have hope!

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Couple idea's for my dream, future line up...

Flames:
Sproul

Wings:
Granlund

Draft Dal Colle

Flames:
Larsson

Devils:
Baertschi
2nd

Only if Ritchie is still available
Flames:
Morrissey
Lowry
1st(Ritchie)

Jets:
Giordano

Draft McDavid next year

Dream future line up

Dal Colle-McDavid-Poirier
Gaudreau-Monahan-Ritchie
Lowry-Jankowski-Colborne
Ferland-Knight/Arnold-Reinhart

Brodie-Sproul
Morrissey-Larsson
Smid-Wotherspoon/Sieloff

Before everyone chimes in, I don't want Gio gone, it's just that his value is so high, that it's hard not to toy with the idea.

Last edited:

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Couple idea's for my dream, future line up...

Flames:
Sproul

Wings:
Granlund

Draft Dal Colle

Only if Ritchie is still available
Flames:
Morrissey
Lowry
1st(Ritchie)

Jets:
Giordano

Draft McDavid next year

Dream future line up

Dal Colle-McDavid-Poirier
Gaudreau/Baertschi-Monahan-Ritchie
Lowry/Reinhart-Jankowski-Colborne
Lowry/Reinhart-Knight/Arnold-Ferland

Brodie-Sproul
Morrissey-Wotherspoon
Smid-Ramage/Sieloff

Before everyone chimes in, I don't want Gio gone, it's just that his value is so high, that it's hard not to toy with the idea.

While Gio's value is high I don't think that the Jets do that deal. They are giving up a lot that they can not afford to give up right now.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
While Gio's value is high I don't think that the Jets do that deal. They are giving up a lot that they can not afford to give up right now.

It's a high price but Gio, with their young, right handed studs, could be one of the best defensive cores in the league

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I yhink CGY adds maybe 2015 3rd and Jets take out Lowry. That's two top 10 picks for Gio and a ok prospect. A little much

I think Morrissey was 13th but he'd probably be a top 10 in this draft. It's basically Baertschi, a top 10 pick and a big, promising B prospect for Gio. I really don't think that's too much but I would consider adding a 3rd, if Lowry was included

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
DRAFT
Best C available. Rankings are Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl, Dal Colle. Of Ekblad is gone

TRADES
2016 2nd, Jooris, Culkin, 2015 4th
For
Rights to Franson

Hudler for picks

SIGN
Sobotka 1.5mil
Downie 3.5mil

Cammalleri-Monahan-Glencross
Bouma-Backlund-Downie
Baertschi-DRAFT-Colborne
Galiardi/Sobotka-Stajan-Jones
McGrattan

Giordano-Brodie
Smid-Franson
Russell-Wideman
SOB

Ramo
Ortio

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
DRAFT
Best C available. Rankings are Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl, Dal Colle. Of Ekblad is gone

TRADES
2016 2nd, Jooris, Culkin, 2015 4th
For
Rights to Franson

Hudler for picks

SIGN
Sobotka 1.5mil
Downie 3.5mil

Cammalleri-Monahan-Glencross
Bouma-Backlund-Downie
Baertschi-DRAFT-Colborne
Galiardi/Sobotka-Stajan-Jones
McGrattan

Giordano-Brodie
Smid-Franson
Russell-Wideman
SOB

Ramo
Ortio

Way to much for the rights to Franson. If he's asking for the kind of money, I think he will. We could probably get him for a prospect and a 3rd. I would love to get Franson and he could possibly be up for grabs but not at that price. He'd add some grit down the right side and would be a great partner for Smid

Last edited:

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Way to much for the rights to Franson. If he's asking for the kind of money, I think he will. We could probably get him for a prospect and a 3rd. I would love to get Franson and he could possibly be up for grabs but not at that price. He'd add some grit down the right side and would be a great partner for Smid

Jooris, Culkin, 2015 4th

Or

Jooris, 2015 3rd

If not sign Niskanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad