Speculation: Trade Rumors and Proposals Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Rumor has it that Kevin Hayes won't be signing with the Hawks. If he becomes a FA, Chicago gets an extra 2nd round pick (2015 I think?).

He's a big RW and of course a linemate of Johnny and Bill Arnold. So, what should Burkie offer the Hawks? Or just hope that he hits FA and will want to join the team with his BC buddies instead of the 28 other suitors?

CGY 2nd + COL 2nd? Or is somebody going to offer more? Or is the guy just riding Johnny's coattails anyway and we'd be better off staying away?

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Rumor has it that Kevin Hayes won't be signing with the Hawks. If he becomes a FA, Chicago gets an extra 2nd round pick (2015 I think?).

He's a big RW and of course a linemate of Johnny and Bill Arnold. So, what should Burkie offer the Hawks? Or just hope that he hits FA and will want to join the team with his BC buddies instead of the 28 other suitors?

CGY 2nd + COL 2nd? Or is somebody going to offer more? Or is the guy just riding Johnny's coattails anyway and we'd be better off staying away?

Just hope he hits UFA. It's not worth giving up the assests as the hawks would want a 2nd round pick or better. Not worth it in my opinion. If he hits UFA and Gaudreau signs with us then maybe he puts in a word with Hayes to sign with us.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Not sure if trading Hudler is a good thing; he seems to be a likable guy/leader in the locker room (i.e.: taking Monahan into his home). however, if Burke were to trade Hudler, this is what I'd do:

Trade Hudler for a 1st round draft pick and a prospect.

Then trade our 1st, along with the other first and prospect to get into the top 2/3.

Is it feasible or is it out of whack?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

We got Corban Knight for what, a fourth? No way we pay two seconds for a similar player.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Yeah I could see giving up a 2015 4th for Hayes, assuming he'd sign here. Otherwise just wait until free agency.

Not sure if trading Hudler is a good thing; he seems to be a likable guy/leader in the locker room (i.e.: taking Monahan into his home). however, if Burke were to trade Hudler, this is what I'd do:

Trade Hudler for a 1st round draft pick and a prospect.

Then trade our 1st, along with the other first and prospect to get into the top 2/3.

Is it feasible or is it out of whack?
Depends on where that 1st is, I guess, and where our pick is.

If the Flames' pick is at #5, I don't see a reason to move up as the cost could be astronomical. Might be better off trying to package the additional 1st (assuming its in the 20s) with our 2nd and getting another pick in the top 10-15?

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Yeah I could see giving up a 2015 4th for Hayes, assuming he'd sign here. Otherwise just wait until free agency.

The Hawks would get a 2015 2nd just by not doing anything so I assume they wouldn't do that trade. Personally I do think he's well worth a 2nd rounder as we'd be lucky if that 2nd rounder is a player of Hayes' calibre 4 years from now. I can't see him making FA.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Why does everyone have an obsession with Hayes? He was a very average player until his senior year, where he got to play with the best player in the NCAA...

Absolutely no interest in him, honestly; especially not at the cost of a second rounder.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
The Hawks would get a 2015 2nd just by not doing anything so I assume they wouldn't do that trade. Personally I do think he's well worth a 2nd rounder as we'd be lucky if that 2nd rounder is a player of Hayes' calibre 4 years from now. I can't see him making FA.

Pretty sure that college (or any) free agent compensation went out the window with the last (pre-2005) CBA. That's how Feaster was able to pick up Knight for a 4th. And why Anaheim lost Schultz for nothing.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Pretty sure that college (or any) free agent compensation went out the window with the last (pre-2005) CBA. That's how Feaster was able to pick up Knight for a 4th. And why Anaheim lost Schultz for nothing.

Compensation only applies to first round picks who don't sign with their respective teams. Knight was a 5th round pick while Schultz was taken in the second round.

Hayes, as a former first round pick, would get the Hawks a late second if he doesn't sign with them. So the price to get him would be a 2nd+, in the same way the Rangers had to give up more than just a second rounder to get Erixon.

Better to let him go to free agency than waste assets.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Compensation only applies to first round picks who don't sign with their respective teams. Knight was a 5th round pick while Schultz was taken in the second round.

Hayes, as a former first round pick, would get the Hawks a late second if he doesn't sign with them. So the price to get him would be a 2nd+, in the same way the Rangers had to give up more than just a second rounder to get Erixon.

Better to let him go to free agency than waste assets.

And hopefully, the other 28 organizations feel the same way. If we want him, the only acceptable course is to sign him in free agency.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room

Is there a source for this rumor? Because I have seen no such rumour, just blind speculation from fans that want him to play with Arnold and Hayes in the Flames organization because they have this crazy notion that the magic will continue at a higher level.

For those who think this way, I have 2 words for you.....
HNAT DOMENICHELLI

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Is there a source for this rumor? Because I have seen no such rumour, just blind speculation from fans that want him to play with Arnold and Hayes in the Flames organization because they have this crazy notion that the magic will continue at a higher level.

HNAT DOMENICHELLI

I looked it up, and boy, you're hnat kidding!

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011

HNAT DOMENICHELLI

Here you go: https://twitter.com/TramyersCSN/status/448521155583164416
@HawksCap If you're talking Kevin Hayes I've heard the 'Hawks won't be signing him. Just what I've heard, tho.

Think we should get rid of Bill Arnold too? Because, y'know, Hnat Domenichelli. I don't think the Flames are in a position to not at least consider about acquiring 21yo 6'4" RWs (1.5PPG in the NCAA) if they can be had for a decent price.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Here you go: https://twitter.com/TramyersCSN/status/448521155583164416

Think we should get rid of Bill Arnold too? Because, y'know, Hnat Domenichelli. I don't think the Flames are in a position to not at least consider about acquiring 21yo 6'4" RWs (1.5PPG in the NCAA) if they can be had for a decent price.
I have no problem going after Hayes as a UFA because he is a good prospect. I just think it's stupid to go after him for no other reason than he was playing with Gaudreau and Arnold and that is why alot of people want him, same reason they want(ed) Rattie.

I like Arnold as a prospect as I feel he could be Yelle-esque, but I do not see him playing on a line with Gaudreau much at all after turning pro.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Actually, he's a career 0.88ppg/player in the NCAA; and 0.65ppg/player before he, might I state again, Played with the best player in the NCAA.
I understand if people want to sign him for nothing, or to give up a 4th-5th rounder for him; but even talking double seconds is insane... keep in mind, at the deadline this year, two second rounders could have gotten you Moulson or Vanek; not a kid who hasn't ever played a game in the NHL. A single second rounder is a lot... remember that Drew LeBlanc kid last year? He doesn't seem to even be able to make the jump to the AHL.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I wouldn't trade 2 x 2nd's for him, but I have definite interest in Hayes, because he's a big RW, skilled prospect that is lacking in our pool. If he goes to FA, I like our odds.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
That text is black hnat

:laugh: I see what you did there.

Also, I agree with what MVW said. If Hayes goes to FA, go for it - but I wouldn't trade two 2nd round picks for him. Maybe if it was something like what we did with Florida for Knight, a 4th round pick? Sure. Hell, I would probably do a 3rd round pick for him, but not two 2nd rounders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->