Speculation: Trade Rumors and Proposals Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Creates a big hole on the blue line. Don't think Schenn is worth the cost to the Flames at this point. That boat sailed with the Bouwmeester trade.

It does, but we also have an excessive of wingers. Another move would need to be made to acquire a top 4 dman. Wideman is no more than a #3 dman.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I would move Wideman's contract in a second, there are better defensemen available every FA for the same money or less. And by the time we have a decent team, Brodie should be able to fill the role that Wideman is currently filling. But I don't think we'd be able to trade it plus a junior prospect for Schenn.

The positives behind keeping Wideman for now is that the team can remain more competitive and not create the losing environment like the Oils, and to stay above the salary floor. But if a half-decent trade came around for a future piece, I'd jump on it.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Since coming to Calgary he has played at least at the level of a #2 defenseman.

He has, but I feel its more because he has been forced to. In an ideal world, Wideman is your #3 guy, who plays on the top PP.

I would move him because Brodie and Russell play a similar style. Russell has been every bit as good as Wideman this season, although a little less physical.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
He has, but I feel its more because he has been forced to. In an ideal world, Wideman is your #3 guy, who plays on the top PP.

I would move him because Brodie and Russell play a similar style. Russell has been every bit as good as Wideman this season, although a little less physical.

I disagree he has the physical tools to be a perfect #2 with a more defensive #1 (Such as Suter)

I also hate the idea of trading him other than Smid and SOB he is the only one that is physical at all. Brodie and Russell play much more like Jbo than Wideman. Just because he is offensive doesn't mean he isn't physical or hard to play against.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I disagree he has the physical tools to be a perfect #2 with a more defensive #1 (Such as Suter)

I also hate the idea of trading him other than Smid and SOB he is the only one that is physical at all. Brodie and Russell play much more like Jbo than Wideman. Just because he is offensive doesn't mean he isn't physical or hard to play against.

I'll give the coaching staff credit, this is probably the best defensive hockey Wideman has played in his career (he struggled in his own end down the stretch last year). If he can keep this level up all season then I will agree with you, and will post it in the crow thread.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I'll give the coaching staff credit, this is probably the best defensive hockey Wideman has played in his career (he struggled in his own end down the stretch last year). If he can keep this level up all season then I will agree with you, and will post it in the crow thread.

I think Wideman struggled because he was playing as our #1 defenseman (Gio was just terrible to end the year). This year he is playing a lot but Brodie-Butler(Gio) have taken the hardest minutes allowing Wideman to be effective for all 27 minutes he gets.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Wideman has been everything and more that the Flames have needed. Him and Russell have been great, he's physical, a PP quarterback and a right handed shot. I wouldn't be quick to trade him unless the deal was good. B Schenn doesn't seem like a good use of assets at this time.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Trade Rumors from Garrioch:
Calgary Flames GM Jay Feaster has been busy working the phones. It’s believed he has served notice C Mikael Backlund and D Shane O’Brien are available. O’Brien has a cap hit of $2 million while Backlund is making $1.5 million. Both have deals that run through 2014-15 .

Sure it's Garroich and he's absolutely terrible, but considering the Smid acquisition and the very limited ice time O'Brien gets, it's a logical conclusion the Flames wouldn't mind moving him. Another terrific move by Feaster.

On the topic of Smid:
Edmonton GM Craig MacTavish has been calling around to get a blueliner to replace D Ladislav Smid, who was dealt down the street to Calgary. The Oilers need help everywhere, however, teams are asking for young players in return. “They want to do something but they overrate their players which means the prices are high,†said a league executive. He should be able to get a top pick for UFA RW Ales Hemsky

This is amusing.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
The Tanguay trade is starting to look like a pretty big fail. It's to bad we didn't target Downie over Jones.

Meh. before the injury jones was looking great, hes decent now. Plus if we have tanguay, baertschi is getting scratched every second game.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The Tanguay trade is starting to look like a pretty big fail. It's to bad we didn't target Downie over Jones.

Meh. I'm still okay with it, especially with Jones recently turning up the physical play. Tangs didn't want to be here, Sarich didn't want to be here... Got a couple guys who did, and who filled a role.

Problem was we picked up Smid, and SOB doesn't really have any reason to play anymore.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Jones was great to start the season, but he's been quite invisible to me for the most part since he's come back. SOB has basically become a younger Sarich :laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Jones was great to start the season, but he's been quite invisible to me for the most part since he's come back. SOB has basically become a younger Sarich :laugh:
That is fine with me. He is a bigger, meaner, slightly faster Sarich. Works for me.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I actually don't mind SOB, I just find it funny that they basically replaced Sarich with a younger version, he's basically playing the identical role as well.
Maybe that's why I am so okay with him and even like him. It is exactly what I expected.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Apparently Erat wants out of Washington to no ones surprise. Not many teams can take his contract and those that can are rebuilding (well except for Colorado but they don't have room or need for Erat).

Shouldn't really effect us but it looks like there is a new most moronic GM around the league.

Aug 3, 2010
Apparently Erat wants out of Washington to no ones surprise. Not many teams can take his contract and those that can are rebuilding (well except for Colorado but they don't have room or need for Erat).

Shouldn't really effect us but it looks like there is a new most moronic GM around the league.
I don't get what Craig MacTavish has to do with Washington.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
anyone else think Cammy to the Blues would be a great fit? It's worked out for both teams the last couple times we've completed deals. I think a Cammy for Jaden Schwartz would be awesome, so is Jaden.

They have a big and physical team in St. Louis, which is why I think a creative player like Cammy that can create his own chances would do well there.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
The more I think about it, the more I think a Backlund for Kassian trade would work. Both are struggling in their environments, both probably need a change of scenery. Backlund fits the Canucks style and Kassian is more of a Burke guy. Both were first round picks that haven't stepped up. I think both players would thrive with the change, and we desperately need actual right-shooting right wingers. Backlund seems to be better than Mike Santorelli. It would be a win-win situation, and it would give us the opportunity to let our other young centers (as in our actual fourth-line material centers) play their roles. No other BS involved, just Backlund for Kassian.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I might be reading to much into this, but Dreger says we (Carolina) made an offer on Backlund today.

Coincidentally, Riley Nash has been a healthy scratch in two straight games in favor of useless Kevin Westgarth.

Any chance we could see something like Nash + Peters for Backlund, now that our goalies are healthy and you guys need a bit more G depth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad