Speculation: Trade Rumors and Proposals Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
HAHAHAHA, if you think we could get Hampus for Baertschi you're high. I'm definitely talking about Elias. We need legitimate centers and I don't want them to take Reinhart at this next draft (assuming we play worse than the fantastic four below us)

Why wouldn't you want Reinhart? (just wondering as I have been blown away by him the last few years)

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
Why wouldn't you want Reinhart? (just wondering as I have been blown away by him the last few years)
I think he just meant Ekblad would be better for us if we could choose between the two, which I'd agree with. However I wouldn't be disappointed in the least if we got Reinhart. I could see him being the more offensive of a future amazing top 2 center duo with Monahan.

Be aware that the above is based solely on hearsay and stat watching. :nod:

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I think he just meant Ekblad would be better for us if we could choose between the two, which I'd agree with. However I wouldn't be disappointed in the least if we got Reinhart. I could see him being the more offensive of a future amazing top 2 center duo with Monahan.

Be aware that the above is based solely on hearsay and stat watching. :nod:

I hate the idea of drafting for need not that Ekblad is bad or anything but imo Reinhart is easily the best player in this draft (I should admit to being a huge Reinhart fan boy)

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I hate the idea of drafting for need not that Ekblad is bad or anything but imo Reinhart is easily the best player in this draft (I should admit to being a huge Reinhart fan boy)

I don't understand people who think that Ekblad fills the bigger hole on our franchise. We still don't have a pure top line center, which this team hasn't had for two decades... meanwhile, at one point of time we had RR, Dion and Bouw... all of which were top 3 D-men; and we failed hard.

Would rather keep building down the middle, draft smart, do projects... and profit.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
Personally, I'm hoping that we are able to snag Ekblad and I'm holding onto a VERY weak hope that we get 1st overall next year somehow. THAT would be the depth down the middle you are all talking about. However, I don't even think we'll get Reinhart OR Ekblad this year and that makes me a very sad panda.

BarbaraAlphanse

Rangers fan here. Thinking out loud. We are win now. You are rebuilding.

Many want Camaleri but I don't think he solves our problems. Think Glencross would be a better fit for the Rangers. We lack toughness. Wondering the two teams could be a fit.

He was speculated to be on the shopping block last deadline. Heard Calgary fans love him. But he's on the wrong side of 30. Realistically, what could you see his price tag being.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Rangers fan here. Thinking out loud. We are win now. You are rebuilding.

Many want Camaleri but I don't think he solves our problems. Think Glencross would be a better fit for the Rangers. We lack toughness. Wondering the two teams could be a fit.

He was speculated to be on the shopping block last deadline. Heard Calgary fans love him. But he's on the wrong side of 30. Realistically, what could you see his price tag being.
mcilrath +

BarbaraAlphanse

mcilrath +

Can't see organization moving him, not with how high they are on him and with the likelihood that Girardi leaves at the end of the season. He'll likely be up within the next 2 months.

Can see Kristo, Fast, Hrvik from our offensive prospects being made available.

Can see Del Zotto, Moore, Skjei being made available from our defensive prospects.

Can see draft picks being made available.

Glencross UFA after next year. Sather loves enforcers. Overpaid severely for Clowe, but did so by giving draft picks.

Top prospects are generally not exchanged in trades for energy guys/enforcers/third liners unless they fall out of favor in the org.

Then again, i'm sure the Flames won't move him unless a team overpays.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
Can't see organization moving him, not with how high they are on him and with the likelihood that Girardi leaves at the end of the season. He'll likely be up within the next 2 months.

Can see Kristo, Fast, Hrvik from our offensive prospects being made available.

Can see Del Zotto, Moore, Skjei being made available from our defensive prospects.

Can see draft picks being made available.

Glencross UFA after next year. Sather loves enforcers. Overpaid severely for Clowe, but did so by giving draft picks.

Top prospects are generally not exchanged in trades for energy guys/enforcers/third liners unless they fall out of favor in the org.

Then again, i'm sure the Flames won't move him unless a team overpays.

Glencross is definitely not an enforcer.

Lifeline

Jan 31, 2013
Winnipeg
All true. But you just don't see a player that young and that good get traded unless they have some kind of issues. Phaneuf and Seguin come to mind.

I think that the Jets are on the verge of making a major shake up. So Burke/Feaster should be keeping them on speed dial. It doesn't necessarily have to be Kane either. They have lots of nice pieces.

Would I trade Kane for the 2014 1st? Not until after the draft lottery. Top 6, no. Seven and up, most likely.

On the other side, is that if Jets were to trade Kane I think they would have the opposite view of the draft pick. What I mean by that is that they would only consider it if they could get a top 5 pick, not to mention they might want something else as Kane is establishing himself as a very good player and the player they would draft would have a "risk" associated with him. I just think the price of a player like that would be more then a non-competitive team like Calgary should pay. For example if a disgruntled Kane wanted out of Winnipeg a team like Detroit that is competing could pay a price easier then Calgary could mainly because since they are competing they can afford to give up higher end prospect(s) and/or picks for a player like Kane. Its my belief that if Calgary went for a Kane-like player it would cost something like Bart and/or a high pick. Generally these type of players don't come cheap and they usually go for a similar player but in a different position or just with a different style of play, and just know when I type that I am ignoring the Phaneuf trade because in all honesty that was not even close to a fair trade at the time.

Also, I just read what I wrote and it seems I couldn't get out my point clearly so I'll just paraphrase everything instead of retyping it. Basically, the price of a establish player that is close to stardom is to generally going to be too high for a team like Calgary due to the fact that we would have to compensate teams for the risk of a prospect.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
Here's a suggestion. With Ramo's recent play, and Berra being solid (when he's not overworked) I have a trade proposal.

Sven Baertschi+Kari Ramo to Islanders
for
Griffin Reinhart+2nd round pick+(Kevin Poulin, Casey Cizikas or Josh Bailey)

We get a young defender which fills a hole for us, a 2nd round pick (which we've been using well lately), and one of either a young centerman, or a young goalie (to send to Abbotsford and bring MacD back up as a true backup)

Sven isn't really fitting in the system and it hurts me to see him benched half the time. The Islanders need a goalie, but I feel for them to part with Reinhart we would need to make the deal sweeter. Plus, with the right push the Islanders could become a good team, and right now our left wing and goalie depth in the coming years is pretty good, but our defensive depth and center depth are not.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
No way. Sven is a great player with 2 decades in him while Hartley, like all coaches, has a short shelf life. We need the Ramo/Berra tandem for at least this season, maybe into the next as well. If 1 of them proves to be a starter, they'll always have the other one pushing each other to keep it. Can't win many games without goaltending.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Other than sitting the odd time Sven fits here long term and short term. He is in the top 20 for rookie scoring and trying to find his way. Its way to early to give up on him. Also I think the Islanders pass they need a goalie with more than a handful of good games in the NHL.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
No way. Sven is a great player with 2 decades in him while Hartley, like all coaches, has a short shelf life. We need the Ramo/Berra tandem for at least this season, maybe into the next as well. If 1 of them proves to be a starter, they'll always have the other one pushing each other to keep it. Can't win many games without goaltending.

Griffin Reinhart is also a great player with 2 decades in him and we already know that MacD is a fine goalie, you know Heartley would still put MacD in as starter just to make Berra work harder. We also have Ortio developing for next year. Reinhart also wouldn't be playing with us this year and could come in as an impact player next year, which would alleviate the need for us to draft defensemen this year and let the current guys inflate their numbers. It's also true that Sven hasn't been producing as much as a smaller goal-scorer should be, despite being benched. He doesn't really fit the "Burke" mold either, but the Islanders are all about that scoring touch, they just, unfortunately, don't have the blue-line covered (as most of their defense is in their prospect pool).

Sven leaving wouldn't affect the team as much as you would think and if management is going to stick to their word about getting tougher and bigger Sven is most likely not a part of our future anyways (especially with Gaudreau coming up next year). There's only room for one small winger on our team and I think Gaudreau will be the better scorer for us.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
Griffin Reinhart is also a great player with 2 decades in him and we already know that MacD is a fine goalie, you know Heartley would still put MacD in as starter just to make Berra work harder. We also have Ortio developing for next year. Reinhart also wouldn't be playing with us this year and could come in as an impact player next year, which would alleviate the need for us to draft defensemen this year and let the current guys inflate their numbers. It's also true that Sven hasn't been producing as much as a smaller goal-scorer should be, despite being benched. He doesn't really fit the "Burke" mold either, but the Islanders are all about that scoring touch, they just, unfortunately, don't have the blue-line covered (as most of their defense is in their prospect pool).

Sven leaving wouldn't affect the team as much as you would think and if management is going to stick to their word about getting tougher and bigger Sven is most likely not a part of our future anyways (especially with Gaudreau coming up next year). There's only room for one small winger on our team and I think Gaudreau will be the better scorer for us.
I don't know if I'd call Sven small. He's 5'11'' and doesn't play soft. He does need to get stronger, but that should improve with time and dedication, which Sven appears to have.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Trading a young player who is contributing now in the hopes that another, who has a very small chance of succeeding in the NHL, is idiotic for a rebuilding team.
People need to tone it down about Gaudreau. I want him to make it just as bad as everyone else, but he has a better chance of never making it or being crushed in a hit and never reaching his potential then becoming a top line player. There are other options the Flames have to shore up the blueline then trading Sven.

Last edited by a moderator:

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
Trading a young player who is contributing now in the hopes that another, who has a very small chance of succeeding in the NHL, is idiotic for a rebuilding team.
People need to tone it down about Gaudreau. I want him to make it just as bad as everyone eIlse, but he has a better chance of never making it or being crushed in a hit and never reaching his potential then becoming a top line player. There are other options the Flames have to shore up the blueline then trading Sven.

Theoren Fleury was 5'8

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

And what would you have the Flames do until JG, Reinhart and Ortio are ready for the NHL? Not only was it an (arguably) unequal trade value wise, but it also set the Flames back in our rebuild. Sven will take over for Cammy soon, while Berra is a crucial part of our tandem right now. I'm sorry, it just didn't see it working at this time

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Hi guys, there has been a fair bit of discussion on the sharks board about trying to acquire Mark Giordano. Ultimately, in scanning the market, there aren't many players of his quality that will be available under any circumstance. Good offensively, good defensively, eats a lot of minutes, and most importantly to San Jose, is left handed, and would likely be a great compliment to Boyle.

That said, the Sharks forum is pretty consistent in not wanting to give up roster assets with the team playing so well. If the sharks were willing to put a combination of Mueller, Nieto, Hamilton, Tierney, 1st, 2nd, Pitt 2nd, 2015 1st on the table, would Calgary be interested, or would they neither A) be interested in moving Giordano at all or B) only move Giordano for roster assets that would improve the team.

Based on Calgary's typical management philosophy of always focusing on win (which totally makes sense), I'd anticipate they wouldn't want to move him. However, I am wondering if Feaster is intrigued enough by McDavid and the rest of the 2015 draft, to sell off key players for futures?

What do you anticipate the Flames brass will do? Would you do something different?

Thanks in advance.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
Hi guys, there has been a fair bit of discussion on the sharks board about trying to acquire Mark Giordano. Ultimately, in scanning the market, there aren't many players of his quality that will be available under any circumstance. Good offensively, good defensively, eats a lot of minutes, and most importantly to San Jose, is left handed, and would likely be a great compliment to Boyle.

That said, the Sharks forum is pretty consistent in not wanting to give up roster assets with the team playing so well. If the sharks were willing to put a combination of Mueller, Nieto, Hamilton, Tierney, 1st, 2nd, Pitt 2nd, 2015 1st on the table, would Calgary be interested, or would they neither A) be interested in moving Giordano at all or B) only move Giordano for roster assets that would improve the team.

Based on Calgary's typical management philosophy of always focusing on win (which totally makes sense), I'd anticipate they wouldn't want to move him. However, I am wondering if Feaster is intrigued enough by McDavid and the rest of the 2015 draft, to sell off key players for futures?

What do you anticipate the Flames brass will do? Would you do something different?

Thanks in advance.
It's probably impossible for Burke and Feaster to justify moving Giordano after everyone around the team has spent the most part of the young season gushing about what a perfect pro he is, how great a captain he is and what he means to the franchise. There's also the part about our team's record with and without Gio in the lineup. I'm personally not principally opposed to the idea of moving him for a great return of futures, but I don't believe it's realistically possible right now.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Baertschi isn't a goal scorer, he's a playmaker who'll be at his best when he's playing with a shooter.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
Fleury was the exception. Look at it like this, a big guy with average skill is more likely to play in the NHL than a tiny guy with tremendous skill.

Fleury is not the exception. In fact, look at this list: http://www.sportingcharts.com/articles/nhl/shortest-players-in-the-nhl.aspx

All of those players are smaller than Gaudreau, are currently in the league and some of them are even doing very well.

I proposed that trade because I do not think we should be focusing on wins this year, but instead player development. Wins do not necessarily mean that our young guys are doing well, and other than Monahan, most of our points are coming from veterans.

Our goalies aren't doing well, at all, so what is losing one and bringing up MacD going to change? If we can get something for one of those goalies in a bundle then we should ABSOLUTELY go for it. Especially for large-bodied guys to surround our smaller forwards with. If we can do it without getting rid of Sven that would be great, but he is one of our only possible selling pieces that will give a decent return and personally I believe that Gaudreau is going to have more success with scoring than Sven will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad