Speculation: Trade Rumors and Proposals Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Note: I know many of us have speculated around Cammy's NMC. He stated in his Garbage Bag Day interview that he doesn't have one.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Note: I know many of us have speculated around Cammy's NMC. He stated in his Garbage Bag Day interview that he doesn't have one.
that because he doesn't have a NMC. He has a modified/limited NTC, or at least he did with Montreal, him voiding it may have been apart of the trade back to Calgary though.

Connor McOilers

We have the precious
Feb 16, 2013
You guys should totally sign Ryan Whitney now that he's going to test the free agent waters. I swear he's a Norris calibre guy, not some kind of liability that I just want the flames to sign to help us out when we play you guys...

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
I'm going to make this post because I don't think it's thread worthy, and partly because I'm curious on opinions (the season is over, so less time fretting about the Flames playoff hopes and more on where players are going to be next season) on a few things concerning the team. Anyways...

I have no idea what thread this was on, but several people had Reinhart on the 4th line. Albeit these posts had the Flames trading for players that the organization probably wouldn't get, but still, the 4th line. I atleast see Max as a good 3rd line C, why not play him as such?

LW - Backlund - RW
LW - Monahan/Lindholm/Barkov/MacKinnonHolyCrapIWish - RW
LW - Stajan -RW
LW - Bouma/Byron - MCGRATTAN ****** YEAH

I really don't see management moving Stajan this next season. He and Stempers were the only players on the team with a +(a +7 and +2 respectively). Plus vets are needed in a good rebuild right? And nice to keep those that went against other teams top lines almost every game. Keep Reinhart in the AHL for one more season and have him play more minutes there, and bring him up when the season after (presumably with Stajan either walking or being traded). Opinions plz, or do some of you actually see him as a 4th line energy guy?

Other question I'm sure we touched on before: If you could, would you trade Tanguay? Obviously not for bag of pucks, but maybe a 2nd, throw in a college player I've heard of. I don't know. I shouldn't have much free time to myself.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I don't think Monahan can step into the NHL on the second line immediately. And I don't see either Lindholm or Barkov coming over next season either. I'd be comfortable with Reinhart as the third line centre; but if Monahan is the Flames' pick and they let him stay in the NHL all season, I'd expect him to centre the third line.

As for Tanguay, if he's willing to stay and mentor the kids during a rebuild, I'd by happy to keep him. But if he's going to sulk like he did after Iginla and Bouwmeester were traded, then he has to be moved.

AfricanHerbsman

May 4, 2010
I don't think Monahan can step into the NHL on the second line immediately. And I don't see either Lindholm or Barkov coming over next season either. I'd be comfortable with Reinhart as the third line centre; but if Monahan is the Flames' pick and they let him stay in the NHL all season, I'd expect him to centre the third line.

As for Tanguay, if he's willing to stay and mentor the kids during a rebuild, I'd by happy to keep him. But if he's going to sulk like he did after Iginla and Bouwmeester were traded, then he has to be moved.

I'm all for moving something to get a 2nd rounder or 2. MTL, DAL, BUF AND SJ all have multiple 2nd round picks. I was thinking or trading Pitts pick and some size (maybe a jackman or a bouma) for picks 34 and 36 from MTL. There are going to be some great players in the early 2nd round and I'd love to see the flames grab a bailey and a Theodore in the 2nd if they could. Thoughts?

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I'm all for moving something to get a 2nd rounder or 2. MTL, DAL, BUF AND SJ all have multiple 2nd round picks. I was thinking or trading Pitts pick and some size (maybe a jackman or a bouma) for picks 34 and 36 from MTL. There are going to be some great players in the early 2nd round and I'd love to see the flames grab a bailey and a Theodore in the 2nd if they could. Thoughts?

Wouldn't mind this at all. I would be very happy if we traded for two seconds and picked up Ryan Kujawinski. :)

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002

If we don't have a 2nd at the time I like the idea. We should be able to pick up a quality Dman (Morin/McCoshen/Theodore/Meuller), and I'd love to be able to take William Carrier with the other 2nd. Check out this link on him:
http://thehockeywriters.com/combine/william-carrier-nhl-2013-draft-war-room-prospect-profile/
But hopefully we don't have to trade the Pitts pick, and we aquire a 2nd (or 2) from other trades

Business of Sport

FranchiseCornerstone
Aug 7, 2010
Montreal
If we don't have a 2nd at the time I like the idea. We should be able to pick up a quality Dman (Morin/McCoshen/Theodore/Meuller), and I'd love to be able to take William Carrier with the other 2nd. Check out this link on him:
http://thehockeywriters.com/combine/william-carrier-nhl-2013-draft-war-room-prospect-profile/
But hopefully we don't have to trade the Pitts pick, and we aquire a 2nd (or 2) from other trades

I wonder if CLB's 2nd in this year's draft (44th overall) can be had along with RW prospect Cam Atkinson in a deal for Cammalleri..

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I wonder if CLB's 2nd in this year's draft (44th overall) can be had along with RW prospect Cam Atkinson in a deal for Cammalleri..

I can't see Columbus' ownership going for that, to be honest. Nor their management, simply because Cam Atkinson seems like a really good player for the future.

Business of Sport

FranchiseCornerstone
Aug 7, 2010
Montreal
I can't see Columbus' ownership going for that, to be honest. Nor their management, simply because Cam Atkinson seems like a really good player for the future.

What if we sent someone like Ryan Howse back the other way? He's turning 22, and though he hit a rough patch, is only 2 seasons removed from 51g, 83pt in 70 game campaign in the dub. Still one year left on his contract:

To CLB: Cammalleri + Howse

To CGY: Atkinson + 2013 2nd

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
What if we sent someone like Ryan Howse back the other way? He's turning 22, and though he hit a rough patch, is only 2 seasons removed from 51g, 83pt in 70 game campaign in the dub. Still one year left on his contract:

To CLB: Cammalleri + Howse

To CGY: Atkinson + 2013 2nd

Adding Howse would be like adding a dozen donuts and a tin of Tim Horton's coffee. (Not really adding value to the trade.)

Business of Sport

FranchiseCornerstone
Aug 7, 2010
Montreal
Adding Howse would be like adding a dozen donuts and a tin of Tim Horton's coffee. (Not really adding value to the trade.)

Haha, nice. I just think we could get more than just a 2nd rounder for Cammy; wondered what it'd take to pry a guy like Atkinson away to go along with the pick. True, CLB would be taking back salary in Cammys contract, maybe throwing in a mid-to-late rounder with/instead of Howse, or would it take a guy like Horak to get it done..? CLB just seems like an ideal destination for Cammy to fit into a good role with a team on the upswing (familiar faces of some recent former Flames in the mix there as well), while CLB - with 3 1sts of their own - are in as good position as anyone to part with a 2nd in this years' draft. What's the value of Jackman's final year, if anything? Lol

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Haha, nice. I just think we could get more than just a 2nd rounder for Cammy; wondered what it'd take to pry a guy like Atkinson away to go along with the pick. True, CLB would be taking back salary in Cammys contract, maybe throwing in a mid-to-late rounder with/instead of Howse, or would it take a guy like Horak to get it done..? CLB just seems like an ideal destination for Cammy to fit into a good role with a team on the upswing (familiar faces of some recent former Flames in the mix there as well), while CLB - with 3 1sts of their own - are in as good position as anyone to part with a 2nd in this years' draft. What's the value of Jackman's final year, if anything? Lol

For sure I think we'll be trying to pry younger players from other organizations in exchange for our vets. I just don't think that Columbus is an organization to look at, but I could easily be wrong. Maybe their owner is thinking now's the time for a serious push, in which case Cammy might be a good fit.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I would try and make 2 moves at the draft to speed up this rebuild even more.

Cammalleri at 1/2 salary to Vancouver for David Booth & the Canucks 1st round pick and then Tanguay to Winnipeg for 2 second round picks.

This would give us 6 picks in the first 2 rounds, including 4 first round picks.

In the first 2 rounds dream draft would be to draft:
- Sean Monahan (Centreman)
- Ryan Pulock (Defenseman)
- Fredric Gauthier (Centreman)
- JT Compher (Left Wing)
- Michael McCarron (Right Wing)
- Justin Bailey (Right Wing)

I would buyout:
- Cory Sarich, I am a big supporter of Sarich but he just doesn't have a place here anymore.
- Blair Jones, the coaching staff lost faith in him ;ast year, its time to just sever ties.

Assuming none of the 2013 picks are NHL ready for 2013/14 I would go hard after (and overpay) for a couple players I feel will be bought out that could be looking for contracts to prove something before the cap goes up in 2014. As well as a few players to help sure up lesser parts of the lineup and help the Heat ice a full and competitive roster.

Brad Richards - 1 year @ $5,000,000
- a should be #1 centre on a prove something deal.
Keith Ballard - 1 year @ $3,000,000
- a should be top 4 defenseman on a prove something deal.
Boyd Gordon - 1 year @ $1,750,000
- bottom six center to help with the PK and faceoffs.
Matt Pelech - 1 year @ 600,000
- primarily for Abbotsford.
Guillaume Desbiens - 1 year @ $600,000
Ryan Potulny - 1 year @ $600,000

Sign our own guys

Mikael Backlund - 2 years @ $3,000,000
Lance Bouma - 1 year @ $600,000
Chris Breen - 1 year @ $700,000
TJ Brodie - 2 years @ $5,000,000
Chris Butler - 2 year @ $4,000,000
Paul Byron - 1 year @ $600,000
Mark Cundari - 1 year @ $700,000
Brady Lamb - 1 year @ $600,000
Brian McGrattan - 1 year @ $600,000
Greg Nemisz - 1 year @ $600,000
Karri Ramo - 2 years @ $4,000,000

Sign some AHLers to deals with Abbotsford

Carter Bancks
Brett Carson
Zach McKelvie
Steven Seigo

Lineups

Flames

Sven Baertschi - Brad Richards (A) - David Booth
Curtis Glencross (A) - Mikael Backlund - Jiri Hudler
Roman Horak - Matt Stajan (A) - Lee Stempniak
Lance Bouma - Boyd Gordon - Brian McGrattan
Tim Jackman

TJ Brodie - Mark Giordano (C)
Keith Ballard - Dennis Wideman (A)
Mark Cundari - Chris Butler
Chris Breen - Derek Smith

Karri Ramo - Joey MacDonald

Heat

Paul Byron - Ben Street (A) - Ben Hanowski
Ryan Potulny - Max Reinhart - Greg Nemisz (A)
Ryan Howse - Markus Granlund - Michael Ferland
Carter Bancks (C) - Turner Elson - Guillaume Desbiens
David Eddy

John Ramage - Brett Carson (A)
Tyler Wotherspoon - Matt Pelech (A)
Zach McKelvie - Brady Lamb
James Martin - Steven Seigo

Reto Berra - Laurent Brossoit

The Flames would likely be pretty bad, but the potential of Brodie proving to be a top 2 guy, the chance of some Sven/Richards magic, Backlund breaking out and the chance Ramo is the real deal makes the team a bit of a wilcard if at least 2 of those happen. The big youth movement up front would happen in 2014-15 with the additions of Monahan, Reinhart and potentially Hanowski to the everyday lineup and possibly the graduation of Ramage or Wotherspoon to NHL duties.

The Heat could be very dangerous. The defense should be rock solid defensively and pretty physical. Berra has potential to be a top AHL goaltender, Hanowski, Ferland and Desbiens add size & strength and toughness to a team that was small and soft last year and Potulny & Granlund could bring some new found skill to the lineup. A full season of Byron also very much increases the skill level. In 2014-15 they should see a further influx of youngsters with Sieloff, Kulak, Culkin, Gordon and Arnold joining the club.

Last edited:

Business of Sport

FranchiseCornerstone
Aug 7, 2010
Montreal
I would try and make 2 moves at the draft to speed up this rebuild even more.

Cammalleri at 1/2 salary to Vancouver for David Booth & the Canucks 1st round pick and then Tanguay to Winnipeg for 2 second round picks.

This would give us 6 picks in the first 2 rounds, including 4 first round picks.

In the first 2 rounds dream draft would be to draft:
- Sean Monahan (Centreman)
- Ryan Pulock (Defenseman)
- Fredric Gauthier (Centreman)
- JT Compher (Left Wing)
- Michael McCarron (Right Wing)
- Justin Bailey (Right Wing)

I would buyout:
- Cory Sarich, I am a big supporter of Sarich but he just doesn't have a place here anymore.
- Blair Jones, the coaching staff lost faith in him ;ast year, its time to just sever ties.

Assuming none of the 2013 picks are NHL ready for 2013/14 I would go hard after (and overpay) for a couple players I feel will be bought out that could be looking for contracts to prove something before the cap goes up in 2014. As well as a few players to help sure up lesser parts of the lineup and help the Heat ice a full and competitive roster.

Brad Richards - 1 year @ $5,000,000
- a should be #1 centre on a prove something deal.
Keith Ballard - 1 year @ $3,000,000
- a should be top 4 defenseman on a prove something deal.
Boyd Gordon - 1 year @ $1,750,000
- bottom six center to help with the PK and faceoffs.
Matt Pelech - 1 year @ 600,000
Guillaume Desbiens - 1 year @ $600,000
Ryan Potulny - 1 year @ $600,000

Sign our own guys

Mikael Backlund - 2 years @ $3,000,000
Lance Bouma - 1 year @ $600,000
Chris Breen - 1 year @ $700,000
TJ Brodie - 2 years @ $5,000,000
Chris Butler - 2 year @ $4,000,000
Paul Byron - 1 year @ $600,000
Mark Cundari - 1 year @ $700,000
Brady Lamb - 1 year @ $600,000
Brian McGrattan - 1 year @ $600,000
Greg Nemisz - 1 year @ $600,000
Karri Ramo - 2 years @ $4,000,000

Sign some AHLers to deals with Abbotsford

Carter Bancks
Brett Carson
Zach McKelvie
Steven Seigo

Lineups

Flames

Sven Baertschi - Brad Richards (A) - David Booth
Curtis Glencross (A) - Mikael Backlund - Jiri Hudler
Roman Horak - Matt Stajan (A) - Lee Stempniak
Lance Bouma - Boyd Gordon - Brian McGrattan
Tim Jackman

TJ Brodie - Mark Giordano (C)
Keith Ballard - Dennis Wideman (A)
Mark Cundari - Chris Butler
Chris Breen - Derek Smith

Karri Ramo - Joey MacDonald

Heat

Paul Byron - Ben Street (A) - Ben Hanowski
Ryan Potulny - Max Reinhart - Greg Nemisz (A)
Ryan Howse - Markus Granlund - Michael Ferland
Carter Bancks (C) - Turner Elson - Guillaume Desbiens
David Eddy

John Ramage - Brett Carson (A)
Tyler Wotherspoon - Matt Pelech (A)
Zach McKelvie - Brady Lamb
James Martin - Steven Seigo

Reto Berra - Laurent Brossoit

The Flames would likely be pretty bad, but the potential of Brodie proving to be a top 2 guy, the chance of some Sven/Richards magic, Backlund breaking out and the chance Ramo is the real deal makes the team a bit of a wilcard if at least 2 of those happen. The big youth movement up front would happen in 2014-15 with the additions of Monahan, Reinhart and potentially Hanowski to the everyday lineup and possibly the graduation of Ramage or Wotherspoon to NHL duties.

The Heat could be very dangerous. The defense should be rock solid defensively and pretty physical. Berra has potential to be a top AHL goaltender, Hanowski, Ferland and Desbiens add size & strength and toughness to a team that was small and soft last year and Potulny & Granlund could bring some new found skill to the lineup. A full season of Byron also very much increases the skill level. In 2014-15 they should see a further influx of youngsters with Sieloff, Kulak, Culkin, Gordon and Arnold joining the club.

I'm all for this with the exception of busting up GlenX-Stajan-Stepniak, and if we can sign Horton for 2RW and move Hudler to 2LW. Still not much to write home about, but it'd be a start. Plus, there is still an outside chance Iggy comes back for one more kick at the can.

Trae

Calgary
Those are optimistic trades to acquire those picks, I am a little confused, also, you're signing Butler to a contract worth 4 million per year? And Brodie makes 5 million per year? Am I missing something? Ramo is high as well.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Those are optimistic trades to acquire those picks, I am a little confused, also, you're signing Butler to a contract worth 4 million per year? And Brodie makes 5 million per year? Am I missing something? Ramo is high as well.
that is the term and dollars for the full contract. Butler 2 year @ 4 million would be 2 million per. Brodie would be 2.5 million per.

also both of those trades were ones discussed and agreed upon by myself and the fans of those teams over the last little while, so while they might be optimistic, they have some merit.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm all for this with the exception of busting up GlenX-Stajan-Stepniak, and if we can sign Horton for 2RW and move Hudler to 2LW. Still not much to write home about, but it'd be a start. Plus, there is still an outside chance Iggy comes back for one more kick at the can.
I didn't want to split up the GSS line either but Horak with Backlund & Hudler would be too soft, it's the same reason I put Booth on the top line over Hudler. I think Glencross's physical attributes would be more of an asset when used in this way.

I am definitely open to other combos, but I think those are the most balanced (we could maybe swap Glencross & Booth, which I contemplated).

As for Horton, I would love to sign him, I just don't see it being possible. The only reason I think we could get Richards is because we can overpay on a short deal to let him re-establish his worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad