Speculation: Trade Rumors and Proposals Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
At 29, and given we have guys who do pretty much the same thing he does, it's iffy tbh. Frankly, though, he might be the cheapest way to add another skilled centre I can think of. What do the Leafs think his value is right now?

A lot of people are going to tell you that he's a 2nd line centreman, who is being mis-cast on the 3rd line role that he plays in Toronto.

Personally, I think he's a solid 2nd line centreman that will consistently put up 50 points a season. He's being overpaid by about 1.25 mill a season (cap), which will deter teams from picking up his tab.

I really couldn't say what the Leafs value him as. Burke signed him to the contract and is no longer with the team, so I don't think that Nonis is obligated to keep him around. Maybe a draft pick and a depth player for the Marlies (along with retained salary).

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
When I think about it, the few flashed of Grabo I've seen in Leafs games this past year made me think he's more offensively skilled than Stajan. If we add him, we could have Backlund-Grabovski-Stajan down the middle. We need someone to fill that spot as our third centre, so it might as well be him if the Leafs are looking to get rid of his contract.

It wouldn't be a move that would really help us in the future, though, so it might need to be worked into an exchange of youth as well to make it worth our while. Perhaps this is the sort of deal Feaster was talking about with helping other teams out of bad contracts in order to gain assets.

Grabo was on their third line and did worse than Stajan on ours I would rather just give Stajan the 2nd line center spot and sign a tough 3rd line center like Gordon. Grabo makes 5.5 million for 4 more years and at his best he barely did better than Stajan at his best they are very similar players in terms of production except we already have one that is much cheaper on a shorter contract is a better defensive player (imo).

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
A lot of people are going to tell you that he's a 2nd line centreman, who is being mis-cast on the 3rd line role that he plays in Toronto.

Personally, I think he's a solid 2nd line centreman that will consistently put up 50 points a season. He's being overpaid by about 1.25 mill a season (cap), which will deter teams from picking up his tab.

I really couldn't say what the Leafs value him as. Burke signed him to the contract and is no longer with the team, so I don't think that Nonis is obligated to keep him around. Maybe a draft pick and a depth player for the Marlies (along with retained salary).

At this point, we need a draft pick and depth players more than Grabovski. :shakehead

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Grabo was on there third line and did worse than Stajan on ours I would rather just give Stajan the 2nd line center spot and sign a tough 3rd line center like Gordon. Grabo makes 5.5 million for 4 more years and at his best he barely did better than Stajan at his best they are very similar players in terms of production except we already have one that is much cheaper on a shorter contract is a better defensive player (imo).

If the Leafs were to retain salary from Grabovski (1.5 mill for the next 3 years) and take Stajan back, would it be close to happening? Obviously more parts have to go back and forth.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
If the Leafs were to retain salary from Grabovski (1.5 mill for the next 3 years) and take Stajan back, would it be close to happening? Obviously more parts have to go back and forth.

Simply due to years on the contract and the fact that Stajan is a more successful 3rd liner which is what either will be in a year or two when Monahan/Lindholm are ready, I would rather keep Stajan he has never complained about his role and has been a real good top 6 center when given a chance. I think I would rather keep Stajan.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Im not even sure Grabo is better than Stajan at this point. Stajan is at least useful now when he isn't scoring because he has learned to play a strong defensive game.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
At this point, we need a draft pick and depth players more than Grabovski. :shakehead

I'm not talking an early pick. Something like a 5th and a player that has a year left with Abbotsford that won't likely play with the Flames this season.

So ideally what I'm thinking is:

To Calgary:
F Mikhail Grabovski (1.5 million retained over the next 3 years)
D Jesse Blacker (solid mid level prospect who could be a call-up or even be a #5-6 guy to start the year

To Toronto:
F Matt Stajan
2014 5th Round Draft pick
Rights to Krys Kolanos

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I'm not talking an early pick. Something like a 5th and a player that has a year left with Abbotsford that won't likely play with the Flames this season.

So ideally what I'm thinking is:

To Calgary:
F Mikhail Grabovski (1.5 million retained over the next 3 years)
D Jesse Blacker (solid mid level prospect who could be a call-up or even be a #5-6 guy to start the year

To Toronto:
F Matt Stajan
2014 5th Round Draft pick
Rights to Krys Kolanos

If Blacker is in this deal it becomes a lot more palatable, gives the Flames some incentive.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
If Blacker is in this deal it becomes a lot more palatable, gives the Flames some incentive.

If it would take a deal to get done, I think the Leafs would include someone like a Joe Colborne (who is a better prospect than Blacker, IMO). A Calgary boy going home.....

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
If it would take a deal to get done, I think the Leafs would include someone like a Joe Colborne (who is a better prospect than Blacker, IMO). A Calgary boy going home.....

Kolanos is a Ufa btw, if you give us Colborne I don't think salary would have to be retained.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Kolanos is a Ufa btw, if you give us Colborne I don't think salary would have to be retained.

Yea, just the rights to him so that the Leafs could sign him before the start of free agency on July 5th. Just a depth move with a lot of guys speculated to go elsewhere.

Well, I still think the Leafs would have to take some salary maybe in the 3rd and 4th years of Grabo's contract.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Yea, just the rights to him so that the Leafs could sign him before the start of free agency on July 5th. Just a depth move with a lot of guys speculated to go elsewhere.

Well, I still think the Leafs would have to take some salary maybe in the 3rd and 4th years of Grabo's contract.

If you want to keep salary go ahead :laugh:

But I am saying we will take Grabo to get Colborne.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

If Colborne is in the deal id even give you Nemisz, who at least could still turn into a 3rd/4th line checking guy with some offense, instead of Kolanos. Then we can just drop the late pick.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I don't think the Leafs would be begging to take the salary, but in my thinking for Calgary its some insurance in case he doesn't produce.

The main point of the trade would be TO saves money on only a same downgrade (and a better fit on the 3rd line) in Stajan and Calgary eats some salary (knowing the risk that Grabo may not produce at a 5.5 pace) but gets a good prospect in Colborne. If you guys held onto salary that means for the next 4 years you could only hold onto salary 1 time (2 is the max at anyone time a team can have) it would make more sense to give up a better prospect (who is a bit redundant in TO) and save cap space.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Ill pass on Grabo, and I actually don't mind him. Sure we can afford him but he's another smallish skilled guy making a lot of money signed long term. Even if we got Colborne who I've always liked, I'd bet by next season that everyone would want Grabo ran out town similar to Stajan because he'd be our #3C. That's far to much money to pay someone at that role. Hopefully Lindholm/Monahan and Backlund/Jankowski have the top 6 locked down in a couple of seasons. I'd rather go after Richards.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
The main point of the trade would be TO saves money on only a same downgrade (and a better fit on the 3rd line) in Stajan and Calgary eats some salary (knowing the risk that Grabo may not produce at a 5.5 pace) but gets a good prospect in Colborne. If you guys held onto salary that means for the next 4 years you could only hold onto salary 1 time (2 is the max at anyone time a team can have) it would make more sense to give up a better prospect (who is a bit redundant in TO) and save cap space.

I didn't know that you could only retain for 2 years. Thanks for that info.

So does that trade work with Colborne attached to it?

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Ill pass on Grabo, and I actually don't mind him. Sure we can afford him but he's another smallish skilled guy making a lot of money signed long term. Even if we got Colborne who I've always liked, I'd bet by next season that everyone would want Grabo ran out town similar to Stajan because he'd be our #3C. That's far to much money to pay someone at that role. Hopefully Lindholm/Monahan and Backlund/Jankowski have the top 6 locked down in a couple of seasons. I'd rather go after Richards.

That's a solid point. You never really know how a player will adapt to a system though.

Thanks for the input.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I didn't know that you could only retain for 2 years. Thanks for that info.

So does that trade work with Colborne attached to it?

I didn't mean 2 years, I meant you can only retain salary for 2 players at a time so for the next 4 years you would only be able to retain salary for 1 more player.

Yea I would do the Colborne deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad