Trade Rumors and Proposals: "Just When I Thought I was Out They Pull Me Back In" Ed.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Surprisingly I agree with Jtown, Nathan Mackinnon has been a mild disappointment thus far in his career. He had 63 points as a rookie and over the last three season he either scored at a 50 point pace (due to injuries) or had 50-55 points in what were almost full seasons. YOu expect a number 1 overall pick to improve their production in four years and be a consistent 70+ point forward which MacKinnon is not.

I debated this very topic on the rumors board with an AVS fan a few weeks ago and if you go back 15 years I think there were 11 forwards taken number 1 overall and the only one who has been less productive is Nail Yakupov, and RNH was either slightly less productive or right around the same. It was something like that anyway.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
I heard the same interview with someone Siedel or Slidell didn't really catch it but he said Vegas was enamored with Patrick and was going to be aggressively bidding. He mentioned the Flyers specifically and Boomer asked why would Hextall do that? The answer was we will see. There is definitely some smoke here.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
MacKinnon also makes 6.3 million compared to an ELC for the #2 pick. Our pick is also cost controlled way longer.

That matters.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
By the way, for as much as people make fun of the "80 point winger" thing Jordan Eberle is still a pretty good player in his prime. He is definitely a 50-60 point winger who could get a boon from being traded to a new team. Surprisingly enough Garth Snow pretty much stole him from the Oilers. Ryan Strome has been a total bust for the Islanders.

Also, 4+ million per on a long term deal for Kris Russell is insane. You'd think people would have learned from the Flyers giving MacDonald the contract they did. It must be nice as a GM to have McDavid to bail you out when you make crappy moves for your team.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Makes me wonder if trading for Drouin was a panic move by Bergevin after he heard what Radulov is asking for.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
i'll never understand the obsession many people have with Radulov. he's a 50 point player in the NHL and people (mostly Russians and Hab fans) treat him like he's a superstar. he's not. never was. never will be.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
By the way, for as much as people make fun of the "80 point winger" thing Jordan Eberle is still a pretty good player in his prime. He is definitely a 50-60 point winger who could get a boon from being traded to a new team. Surprisingly enough Garth Snow pretty much stole him from the Oilers. Ryan Strome has been a total bust for the Islanders.

Also, 4+ million per on a long term deal for Kris Russell is insane. You'd think people would have learned from the Flyers giving MacDonald the contract they did. It must be nice as a GM to have McDavid to bail you out when you make crappy moves for your team.

The whole "80 point winger" thing really isn't a sleight on Eberle at all. He just happens to be the name currently being discussed at the time.

It was one guy who was trying so so so hard to be condescending, but didn't even know what he was talking about. Even posting something along the lines of "I just want to make sure you guys do realize Eberle has hit 80 points"... as if we were the ignorant idiots, when in reality that's obviously not even true.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
There's no rhyme or reason with Bergevin. He does things just because.
Yeah, it took him several years to do anything at all and now he only makes questionable moves that could very well set their franchise back for years.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Yeah, it took him several years to do anything at all and now he only makes questionable moves that could very well set their franchise back for years.

I think the Drouin move was excellent for Montreal. How was that questionable or set the franchise back?

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
To be fair, Radulov was a dynamic player for the Habs last season. Creative with the puck, good teammate, backchecked, etc. That is still too much cash and term, especially with him coming off a show-me contract after having a terrible reputation in the NHL.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Good move in value & Drouin should be a good player individually for them but that team is horrible on the backend & down the middle right now with not much in the pipeline.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Good move in value & Drouin should be a good player individually for them but that team is horrible on the backend & down the middle right now with not much in the pipeline.

Yeah the value is good, but they didn't fill a need and opened another hole in the process. It would be like us trading Couturier for a LHD prospect.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Yeah, that's why I think it might just be a panic move. Center and D is a much bigger need for them, but losing Radulov might have given Bergevin the excuse to pull the trigger on Drouin.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah the value is good, but they didn't fill a need and opened another hole in the process. It would be like us trading Couturier for a LHD prospect.

I don't think what handed shot they are really matters that much there. I think a lot of cases it's hard to base things around that as there's only so many good right handed shot defensemen in the league. It wouldn't really matter to me if Sergachev was a right or lefty. That's really your only blue chip prospect in your pool at a premium position which is a need for your club. So to me they just need talent on the backend now & downline period.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Makes me wonder if trading for Drouin was a panic move by Bergevin after he heard what Radulov is asking for.

Every move he makes is a panic move. If there is one guy in this league who is out of control, it is Bergevin. He's in a leaking rowboat on the ocean, covering holes in the hull one at a time with his hands.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Every move he makes is a panic move. If there is one guy in this league who is out of control, it is Bergevin. He's in a leaking rowboat on the ocean, covering holes in the hull one at a time with his hands.

More like he's ripping planks out of the bottom of the hull to patch each new hole he finds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad