Rumor: Trade Rumor Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers moved Gaborik last April which wasn't the typical Ranger move. They traded DZ for a cost effective player. Del Zotto wasn't traded for a washed Milan Michalek or some other old player on the last year of his contract. He wasn't packaged with another player for a big name with a big contract. Adrian Dater reported the Rangers wanted a #1 pick for Del Zotto. Gorton was part of the management team in Boston which traded Brad Stuart to Calgary for Ference and Kobasew in 2007. The Bruins tried to sign Stuart who was going to be a group III. Boston traded the player. Ference was a key part of their next 6 plus years. The Bruins weren't very good in 06-07 but Ference was a key player for them. Why can't the Rangers acquire a signed player as part of the deal for their rental? That player will part of the team for a while instead of losing the other player in free agnecy for nothing. You can see Gorton's influence in the Gaborik trade and DZ trade.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
agreed. I think Girardi and Callahan get resigned but no reason not to deal Boyle or Stralman for a signed roster player.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
agreed. I think Girardi and Callahan get resigned but no reason not to deal Boyle or Stralman for a signed roster player.

Boyle and Stralman do not have the kind of value to return a signed roster player that you would want to have signed for any length of time.

Who would they return that would be better than their value as picks or prospects?

BarbaraAlphanse

Who wouldn't?

Probably Anaheim's FO.

Had Girardi been in this situation last year, when the Ducks were having troubles with Ryan's happiness, I think a G for Ryan swap could have worked.

Trading for the package that they got Ryan for would essentially be the same thing. I'd imagine they'd rather deal prospects rather than players like Silfverberg though.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
So SJ fans are getting butthurt at any inkling of mentioning that ONE of their current centers isn't going to be there next year. They keep giving ridiculous arguments as to how they'll be able to keep them all. Does anyone actually see this as a possibility? Even if they financially could swing it, why would they run a C group of Thornton/Marleau/Pavelski/Couture/Hertl instead of trading one to address other weaknesses? I know Marleau is on the wing but the general consensus on their board is that he's a much better center.

Does anyone REALLY see SJ resigning both Thornton and Marleau and if not would you guys be interested in the following:

buy out Richards and sign one of Thornton/Marleau?

IF those two are resigned, my main target would be Stastny or Grabovski. I could see a Stepan/Grabovski combo working out; Grabovski is more offensively gifted whereas Stepan is better defensively. Gives us one line that can really play off the rush and pin teams in their zone and another line that can score but is some semblance of responsible defensively.

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Zuccarello-Grabovski-Callahan
Hagelin-Brassard-Pouliot

or some combo. Obviously this assumes Callahan, Zucc, Brassard and Pouliot are resigned. Mix and match with Stastny too; I just don't see any other option. We need another top 6 center, and as of right now there are 4 that will be hitting UFA

yep i do lol

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 30s
Marleau's 3-year deal is worth $6.66 M a year AAV; Thornton's deal is $6.75 M a year AAV.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 1m
Breaking news: San Jose Sharks have signed Patrick Marleau and Joe Thornton to 3-year extensions.
Expand

BarbaraAlphanse

If you can get 1sts for both of them, do it. Even if that means throwing in a later draft pick or a sub par prospect.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Now that that's out of the way.

Ahem Stastny. :sarcasm:

If every potential big C got re-signed that would be amazing. Maybe it would force Sather's hand.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
yep i do lol

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 30s
Marleau's 3-year deal is worth $6.66 M a year AAV; Thornton's deal is $6.75 M a year AAV.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 1m
Breaking news: San Jose Sharks have signed Patrick Marleau and Joe Thornton to 3-year extensions.
Expand

Good timing :naughty:

Nash Money

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2012
Are you kidding?? Happy day. Means Sather won't sign him to an idiotic contract.

I would have given him that 3 year deal in a heartbeat. Would you not have? I know that Sather would have had to throw more than that had he reached FA, but I think that cap hit, and especially that length make it a great contract.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
I would have given him that 3 year deal in a heartbeat. Would you not have? I know that Sather would have had to throw more than that had he reached FA, but I think that cap hit, and especially that length make it a great contract.

It's absolutely a good contract. They both took definite discounts to stay

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
For as much as I railed against it, I think Thornton would've been one of the better options out there.

I have a hate/hate relationship with lazy Sather and creative Sather. They both stink.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Kyper reported the Thornton and Marleau news about 10 days ago. They would re-sign for the same money they are currently making for 3-4 years. Gorton was part of the management team in Boston which felt they would never win with Joe and wanted to build the team around Bergeron. Boston won the Cup in 2011 and lost in the final in 13 with Bergeron as their #1 center and signature player. Bergeron played with a collapsed lung in last June's finals. Only a hockey player plays with that injury. Boston could have won their 2nd Cup in 3 years with a healthy Bergeron. SJ has never reached a Cup final since Thornton has been there. Thornton's agent Joe Resnick was confident Thornton would stay in SJ.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
If you can get 1sts for both of them, do it. Even if that means throwing in a later draft pick or a sub par prospect.

And who plays those minutes? Bump up Stralman and Zucc, who haven't proven that they can handle them long-term, thus getting rid of two good players, putting two other good players in a place to fail, and for what? Some picks that may be able to hack it in the league two years down the road? No thanks. If they're traded, a possible replacement for at least one of them needs to be coming back.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
And who plays those minutes? Bump up Stralman and Zucc, who haven't proven that they can handle them long-term, thus getting rid of two good players, putting two other good players in a place to fail, and for what? Some picks that may be able to hack it in the league two years down the road? No thanks. If they're traded, a possible replacement for at least one of them needs to be coming back.

Every team in the NHL goes through this. The player who is playing behind someone doesn't have a chance to prove himself unless the other player isn't there. Callahan was out for a while. MZA stepped up.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Just because Callahan and/or Girardi might get traded doesn't mean they won't re-sign here. I haven't seen that scenario proposed here too often. If the Rangers were smart, and we know they're not, they can tell Cally and Girardi hey we're gonna do what's best for the franchise, we're going to trade you guys, but that doesn't mean it's over between us, we'd like to try to re-sign you in the off season. Trade Girardi, Cally, Boyle, Stralman, Moore, Pouliot, re-stock the system, and give Fast, Lindberg, Kristo, Miller, McIlrath, Allen some looks, call this season a re-tooling not a re-building, maybe try to sign one of or both Cally and Girardi and add them on top of the assets you acquired

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I don't know if you can say that explicitly that you want to try to re-sign them come July 1st. I believe that's tampering. But you probably can say "look, we're not contending this year, we have to do what's brightest for the future but your agent has our number/door is always open to you".

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Just because Callahan and/or Girardi might get traded doesn't mean they won't re-sign here. I haven't seen that scenario proposed here too often. If the Rangers were smart, and we know they're not, they can tell Cally and Girardi hey we're gonna do what's best for the franchise, we're going to trade you guys, but that doesn't mean it's over between us, we'd like to try to re-sign you in the off season. Trade Girardi, Cally, Boyle, Stralman, Moore, Pouliot, re-stock the system, and give Fast, Lindberg, Kristo, Miller, McIlrath, Allen some looks, call this season a re-tooling not a re-building, maybe try to sign one of or both Cally and Girardi and add them on top of the assets you acquired

I just dont see that happening at all. I understand your thought process, but how often has that actually happened.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I don't know if you can say that explicitly that you want to try to re-sign them come July 1st. I believe that's tampering. But you probably can say "look, we're not contending this year, we have to do what's brightest for the future but your agent has our number/door is always open to you".

You can say that as they are signed with your team right now. I don't see why that would be a problem.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
Sorry guys but thats wishful thinking. If Girardi/Callahan get traded, a big reason why is to due to their salary cap. The Rangers simply do not want to spend the hefty over priced contract that Callahan will certainly command(and get on the open market). Same with Girardi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad