Rumor: Trade Rumor Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
What do people think of Niskanen? I don't know what he will be valued at on the open market but he moves the puck well, RD, still young @ 27. I know he is getting some points by association playing on the Pens, but could he come in and give the Rangers more puck movement, say, if Stralman leaves?

Niskanen is a good player. I think he's about on par with Stralman, but he's more of a realistic option on the PP. Better vision and a great shot. However, for those reasons, I think a team will give him more money than Stralman will get.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I like Niskanen but he will be overpaid. Will probably make 4 mill because he's having a great year.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Niskanen would be our most potent offensive threat, but he's not a great one. He picks up extra points on the Penguins and is conveniently having a great season in a contract year. He'll get overpaid. Wouldn't mind him here, but he'll cost a lot and ultimately won't produce like he has in Pittsburgh.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
lol i didnt realize niskanen was over .5 PPG and a +26 this year. that gogo trade was absolutely insane with niskanen having a better year than gogo now on top of james neal being part of the trade.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
lol i didnt realize niskanen was over .5 PPG and a +26 this year. that gogo trade was absolutely insane with niskanen having a better year than gogo now on top of james neal being part of the trade.

That trade wasn't TOTALLY lopsided at the time. Niskanen was having two VERY disappointing seasons in a row, and Neal was about fair value for how well Gogo was playing at the time.

Now, that move gets a GM fired.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Niskanen is a good player. I think he's about on par with Stralman, but he's more of a realistic option on the PP. Better vision and a great shot. However, for those reasons, I think a team will give him more money than Stralman will get.

Yeah, that's my fear. Matt Carle 2.0 most likely. 5 million.

johnnydollaz89*

Rather pay Stralman close to 2.75M than throw big money at Niskanen.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Even if Girardi and Stralman leave our D is in better shape than our forwards if Callahan and Richards leave.

Allen and McIlrath are more ready to step in than any of our Hartford forwards.

If money opens, a good offensive player is likely the best option.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
That trade wasn't TOTALLY lopsided at the time. Niskanen was having two VERY disappointing seasons in a row, and Neal was about fair value for how well Gogo was playing at the time.

Now, that move gets a GM fired.

Honestly, to me it was one of the biggest rip off deals I had ever seen go down in a real league.

Wasn't really a bold thought by me, thought many agreed if I remember correctly.

Benn for Goli straight up isn't close to me. First guess.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Niskanen would be a nice addition, but only if it isn't a big contract. Highly doubt he'll cost 3 mil or less

Let Blaine Die

Holden out 4 a hero
Jan 4, 2012
NYC
Eh, Niskanen would be a good addition only if both Stralman AND Girardi are gone and were are left holding our dick in our hand.

BarbaraAlphanse

Even if Girardi and Stralman leave our D is in better shape than our forwards if Callahan and Richards leave.

Allen and McIlrath are more ready to step in than any of our Hartford forwards.

If money opens, a good offensive player is likely the best option.

I think we have enough depth to whether Richards and Callahan leaving.

I think Kristo can and will warrant a 2nd or 3rd line winger slot. He's small (5'11) I believe, but he can fly and he can put the puck in the back of the net. His knock is giving the puck away and I think he's improving in that regard in the AHL.

I also think Miller is ready to step in and be the 3c.

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Zuccarello-X-Kristo
Hagelin-Miller-X
X-X-X

Is Brassard remaining a part of the team? Is he a 3w or a 2c? His production resembles a 3rd line winger but he's not ideal for a checking line. He's also too inconsistent to be our 2c.

We don't have a 2c or a big, energetic, 3w in our system. There's also the question of the 4th line. Do we resign Boyle, Moore, and Carcillo? Sign others?

The offense needs a bit of reshaping.

Now the defense:

Let's say we resign Girardi. What do we do with Stralman? Moore? Staal?

We have 2 guys that should be NHL ready by the start of next season. Allen and McIlrath. Both should be able to play 3rd pair minutes. I say keep Moore and let him earn a spot over one of those 2 guys if he can. Have a competition for the 3rd pairing between them. The 3rd guy becomes the 7th defender. I think you can afford to lose Stralman with the acquisition of Klein, but does Staal want to stay? Resign him if he does. If he doesn't, trade him and get positions of need - whether that be a 2c, or a 2/3d amongst other things.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Even if Kristo will be ready... which is a stretch, because you never know with skinny offensive forwards how they will make the jump from AHL to NHL and how quickly... as I have pointed out before the biggest problem with this team this year has been scoring and, more specifically, 5 on 5 scoring.

We can put the names on paper and observe how it looks, but I'm still more comfortable putting a young bottom defensive pairing in front of Lundqvist than I am going in with less proven offense than we've had this season. I wouldn't throw another 6 million in cap putting together a solid 3rd defensive pairing.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Something has to give eventually in terms of bringing in another offensive defenseman on this team. McDonagh's emergence as an offensive threat is nice but it would be great if we had at least one other defenseman on this team who is capable of putting up 30+ points on a consistent basis. Allen and McIlrath aren't going to address the offensive woes on the blueline.

If they lose one of Girardi or Stralman, it wouldn't surprise me to see Sather go after Boyle or maybe Niskanen, although he is danger of being overpaid and I think playing on Pitt is giving him a boost offensively.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I believe John Moore can put up 30 points with a consistent spot on the 2nd PP unit. If they didn't force poor Richards to stay out all 2 minutes the 2nd half of the PP might have more bite.

If Girardi and Staal have hit 30 points with PP time, Moore can do better than that.

BarbaraAlphanse

I believe John Moore can put up 30 points with a consistent spot on the 2nd PP unit. If they didn't force poor Richards to stay out all 2 minutes the 2nd half of the PP might have more bite.

If Girardi and Staal have hit 30 points with PP time, Moore can do better than that.

I think with DZ gone, DZ's minutes on the PP will now be Moore's.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Craig Custance wrote about Byfuglien today

One potential fit that was suggested to me was the Boston Bruins. GM Peter Chiarelli is in the market for a top four defenseman with the loss of Dennis Seidenberg for the season with a knee injury.

The challenge in making a deal is that Cheveldayoff may prefer roster players in return, if the Jets believe they can remain hot under Maurice and make the playoffs this season. But even with the recent winning, the Jets have 51 points, which puts them eight back of the Minnesota Wild for the final wild card spot. It’s hard to imagine them making that ground up to finish ahead of better teams like the Canucks or Wild, leapfrogging the Coyotes, Stars and Predators in the process.

If the Jets are willing to make a deal for futures, that makes Byfuglien attractive. His modified no-trade clause means he can submit five teams to which he can’t be traded. His value in a deal? One exec spitballed that he’d be worth a first-round pick and A-level prospect.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/craig-custance/post?id=1023&refresh=true

Steep price for a player best suited to play right wing.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009

Eh, we'll see. John Moore hasn't even hit 30 points in his career so I'm hesitant to say that he's capable of hitting 30 points in one season. Moore is a good skater but I'm not seeing much in terms of offensive instincts. And I believe the vast majority of Girardi and Staal's points have come at even strength and not on the PP, so PP time doesn't always translate into more points. In fact, Girardi has no PP points this season despite playing on the second unit.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Even if Kristo will be ready... which is a stretch, because you never know with skinny offensive forwards how they will make the jump from AHL to NHL and how quickly... as I have pointed out before the biggest problem with this team this year has been scoring and, more specifically, 5 on 5 scoring.

We can put the names on paper and observe how it looks, but I'm still more comfortable putting a young bottom defensive pairing in front of Lundqvist than I am going in with less proven offense than we've had this season. I wouldn't throw another 6 million in cap putting together a solid 3rd defensive pairing.

I think one of Kristo, Fast or Miller will be ready for full-time NHL duty by next year. Leaving 1 spot open shouldn't be an issue.

However they still have a hole on the back end in terms of offense and they are missing a power forward and a top-6 center. Big holes.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
their is a loophole. what if a team like Oilers signed him and then traded him back to Rangers??

I think that was brought up back when the new CBA was signed, and there was a reason why it couldn't be done, but I don't recall offhand what it was.

In any case, would we want to do that? Richards isn't going to sign for less money just because he got a buyout. He's going to sign for as much money as he can get. And what would we have to give up to edmonton to get him? They aren't going to do us any favors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad