Rumor: Trade Rumor Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The NHL on Monday moved to close a loophole left in the allegedly airtight collective bargaining agreement by notifying general managers the league would deem re-signing a player following a trade and a subsequent amnesty buyout as circumvention, and thus would not register the contract, The Post has learned.

It is believed the Lightning and Maple Leafs had discussed such a maneuver regarding Vincent Lecavalier, who has seven years and $45 million remaining on his contract, with the buyout thus worth slightly more than $30 million.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/06/2...leafs-for-vincent-lecavalier-reportedly-nixed

The NHL was dumb to not include this in the CBA.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
their is a loophole. what if a team like Oilers signed him and then traded him back to Rangers??

The player can't rejoin the club that bought him out at all for 1 year. (this is only true for compliance buyouts as far as I know)

And as RB pointed out... you can't trade the guy, let another team buy him out, and then sign him again. So... the answer is no either way.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
It may mean nothing (could be trying to find where to slot Klein) but I have to think AV trying out McD-Stralman and Staal-Klein is a definite trial run for how things would look without Girardi. Especially since he did the same thing last game...moving Moore up with Staal and Stralman w/McDonagh.

I am still in the "sign him" camp but I think they will end up trading him.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
John Moore and a 5th for Shattenkirk.

Make it happen Slats!

He's a hell of a puck mover though, jeez.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
It may mean nothing (could be trying to find where to slot Klein) but I have to think AV trying out McD-Stralman and Staal-Klein is a definite trial run for how things would look without Girardi. Especially since he did the same thing last game...moving Moore up with Staal and Stralman w/McDonagh.

Missed the game tonight. Did those pairings see a lot of ice time?

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012

I hope so. Good Dman but I am getting sick of the 1-2 consistent boneheaded blunders a game. Girardi, like Rosival, probably shouldn't be playing top pairing minutes.

Plus, I hate him on the PP.

Let Blaine Die

Holden out 4 a hero
Jan 4, 2012
NYC

Interesting observation and cannot be a coincidence. Life after Girardi is a very real possibility, and Stralman has really outplayed him so far this year.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano

Good post and I agree.
I thought the Klein trade spelled trouble for Stralman, but then I saw the pair juggling, including Klein with McDonagh tonight on one shift. That could be a signal to Girardi camp to put pressure on the negotiations or to see if they can live without Girardi.
Edit: Whether they trade him or not still depends on the price.

Last edited:

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
9 games left until the deadline. Still not convinced that there is a plan or that Slats/AV know what they have/are lacking with the current roster

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think one of Kristo, Fast or Miller will be ready for full-time NHL duty by next year. Leaving 1 spot open shouldn't be an issue.

However they still have a hole on the back end in terms of offense and they are missing a power forward and a top-6 center. Big holes.

Yeah, I agree.

I definitely also think that we have reasonable depth to replace a D and a F. That gives us some maneruvability. Miller will be ready next season at the latest. OL and Fast are not playing bad for players their age and stage in development. Allen looked decent and McI is on his way. Kristo is a bit more high reward / high risk, but he might also get there.

Re. our prioritiz.

A few thoughts:

-Nobody can disagree with the need for a center. However, lets be realistic, getting one is another story.

Its -- extremely -- hard to get one. I mean, it would be so hard that we might just almost surrender the idea and aim at getting it done with a 1B, 2A and 2B approch. I know many aren't big fans of Brassard, but for a 2B role he might not be the worst option.

-Besides the need for a center, I think we could come a long way by adding:

1. A PMD

2. A PF

We really need puck-movement on the blueline. Looking at the best teams in this league, I think that it getting more and more the case that the best puck-moving teams are the best teams. Of the teams with the best puck-moving game, some are big and some have elite talent etc., but there are a bunch of big teams out there and a bunch of teams with elite talent out there, but none that has a blueline that moves the puck like Chi, Ana and STL, or even Boston for that matter. Boston has a very effective passing game and is a team that is really good at getting the puck up ice with forwards on it all the way.

My approch, would definitely be to look for these players and basically consider pros and cons with giving up -- any -- player, more or less, on our roster. I would look at young players or established players in these molds.

Sooner or later, players become available. We ought to be in a decent position at least to make a run for them.

That is the starting point. Cally and G are discussed a lot, it goes without saying that I would move either if we could get a real good PF and especially PMD, young or more established.

Another consideration that needs to be made is if it makes sense for us to "dump" a player or two or three -- just -- to gather assets to be in a "better" position to jump on especially a PMD once one become available. My gut feeling is just that if that is to make sense, the return need to be pretty high. Ie. higher than what are being discussed right now at least. Right now, I am not so sold on that we could get that return.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Yeah, I agree.

I definitely also think that we have reasonable depth to replace a D and a F. That gives us some maneruvability. Miller will be ready next season at the latest. OL and Fast are not playing bad for players their age and stage in development. Allen looked decent and McI is on his way. Kristo is a bit more high reward / high risk, but he might also get there.

Re. our prioritiz.

A few thoughts:

-Nobody can disagree with the need for a center. However, lets be realistic, getting one is another story.

Its -- extremely -- hard to get one. I mean, it would be so hard that we might just almost surrender the idea and aim at getting it done with a 1B, 2A and 2B approch. I know many aren't big fans of Brassard, but for a 2B role he might not be the worst option.

-Besides the need for a center, I think we could come a long way by adding:

1. A PMD = Would take a flyer on Rundblad

2. A PF = Chris Stewart for Boyle, Nieves and a pick? (CS has flaws but could be a good fit)

3. Center (replacement for Broadway Brad) = Glen Sather UFA redux :facepalm:

We really need puck-movement on the blueline. Looking at the best teams in this league, I think that it getting more and more the case that the best puck-moving teams are the best teams. Of the teams with the best puck-moving game, some are big and some have elite talent etc., but there are a bunch of big teams out there and a bunch of teams with elite talent out there, but none that has a blueline that moves the puck like Chi, Ana and STL, or even Boston for that matter. Boston has a very effective passing game and is a team that is really good at getting the puck up ice with forwards on it all the way.

My approch, would definitely be to look for these players and basically consider pros and cons with giving up -- any -- player, more or less, on our roster. I would look at young players or established players in these molds.

Sooner or later, players become available. We ought to be in a decent position at least to make a run for them.

That is the starting point. Cally and G are discussed a lot, it goes without saying that I would move either if we could get a real good PF and especially PMD, young or more established.

Another consideration that needs to be made is if it makes sense for us to "dump" a player or two or three -- just -- to gather assets to be in a "better" position to jump on especially a PMD once one become available. My gut feeling is just that if that is to make sense, the return need to be pretty high. Ie. higher than what are being discussed right now at least. Right now, I am not so sold on that we could get that return.

I see the above scenario

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Not a ton. But they had a few shifts together, at different points. Pure speculation by me that could mean nothing.

Would be interesting to see a TOI breakout by pairing.

At even strength by percentage:

McDonagh - Girardi 25.94%
Staal - Stralman 22.64%
Moore - Klein 15.57%
Staal - Klein 9.43%
Staal - Girardi 8.49%
McDonagh - Stralman 8.02%
Moore - Girardi 4.72%
Moore - Stralman 3.3%
McDonagh - Klein 1.42%
Staal - Moore 0.47%

Status