Rumor: Trade Rumor Thread Part VI: Gaborik for Peanuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
It's tough because there aren't many moves to be made. Iginla is the big piece that's out there. What else would help the Pens? So many teams are in the hunt that it's damn near impossible to find someone you need.

I think folks get enamored with the idea of Iginla on Crosby's wing. I hear it every day here in Pittsburgh. "Sid needs a winger!" Why? He's the best player in the NHL already, and he has unreal chemistry with Kunitz and Dupuis, both of whom are killing it right now. Don't mess with what works. They need another stabilizing presence on the back end. That defensive group took a nose dive when Scuderi left.

I wouldn't be surprised if they look for both a top-4 d-man signed longer than just this season and another winger. The problem is that their 3rd line wingers are not very good. Adding a top-6 winger pushes Dupuis down which is a good thing.

esidebill

Jun 1, 2012
Long Island, NY
It's tough because there aren't many moves to be made. Iginla is the big piece that's out there. What else would help the Pens? So many teams are in the hunt that it's damn near impossible to find someone you need.

I think folks get enamored with the idea of Iginla on Crosby's wing. I hear it every day here in Pittsburgh. "Sid needs a winger!" Why? He's the best player in the NHL already, and he has unreal chemistry with Kunitz and Dupuis, both of whom are killing it right now. Don't mess with what works. They need another stabilizing presence on the back end. That defensive group took a nose dive when Scuderi left.

You could stick Sid into any offensive and have amazing results. I can't see why he'd need an Iginla at all on his wing. They'd be better off mixing him elsewhere in the lineup.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Scoring is not Pitt's issue. I could see Boston, Montreal, Vancouver making runs at Iginla. Doubt Calgary would trade him within the division, though.

SirGoose

honk honk
Jan 11, 2009
golf course
Teams don't usually trade guys they just drafted at the following deadline. They don't carry too much value to teams who are dangling rental players. At some point, if all the prospects pan out, we'll have to consider moving a defensemen. However, until someone is knocking at the door and there's no room on the roster, I think guys like Skjei will stay with the organization.

Off the top of my head Coyle and Rundblad were traded the year after they were drafted and carried some big value.

I feel like there isn't much time to waste anymore with the Rangers. Lundqvist is getting older and we honestly have no clue how long he will keep up this level of play, and I'm in the group that thinks we should keep Gaborik here until his contract expires. If we can get a solid trade right now we could be seeing a complete team that can contend and truly considered one of the best. Skjei is one of our more valuable assets that we truly don't have a need for and won't have any effect on the current team, or possibly even the team 4 years from now. The Rangers could very seriously miss the playoffs this year. This isn't the time to burn a year off this team, they should be doing everything it takes to win a cup while this window is open. We aren't going to get *much* better (if at all) waiting for Kreider and Miller to further develop but losing Gaborik and Richards getting worse.

Burlington Bomb 26

Louie Louie Oh oh
Mar 16, 2008
Green Mountain State
jaromir-jagr.jpg

esidebill

Jun 1, 2012
Long Island, NY
Any reason the Canucks would deal for Gaborik?

I can see Gaborik in that jersey.

Maybe for Kesler or a defenseman (I figure someone like Hamhuis is getting up there in years). I don't know how many Canucks would be okay with that. They're an okay scoring team, but Gaborik with any of the Sedins would be nasty.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Off the top of my head Coyle and Rundblad were traded the year after they were drafted and carried some big value.

I feel like there isn't much time to waste anymore with the Rangers. Lundqvist is getting older and we honestly have no clue how long he will keep up this level of play, and I'm in the group that thinks we should keep Gaborik here until his contract expires. If we can get a solid trade right now we could be seeing a complete team that can contend and truly considered one of the best. Skjei is one of our more valuable assets that we truly don't have a need for and won't have any effect on the current team, or possibly even the team 4 years from now. The Rangers could very seriously miss the playoffs this year. This isn't the time to burn a year off this team, they should be doing everything it takes to win a cup while this window is open. We aren't going to get *much* better (if at all) waiting for Kreider and Miller to further develop but losing Gaborik and Richards getting worse.

Coyle was a solid piece added to acquire a player the team really liked. Setoguchi really made that deal. Rundblad was dealt on draft day for another prospect. Slightly different situations there.

I understand what you're saying, but I just don't think Skjei holds as much value to another team as he does to us.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
Maybe for Kesler or a defenseman (I figure someone like Hamhuis is getting up there in years). I don't know how many Canucks would be okay with that. They're an okay scoring team, but Gaborik with any of the Sedins would be nasty.

it would be tough to get kesler for gabs, but one positive note why its a possibility is they've won without him and hes more injury prone then gabs.. we'd have to add, prob way more then we would want..

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Any reason the Canucks would deal for Gaborik?

I can see Gaborik in that jersey.

Gabby would do really well next to the Sedins, but their cap situation is a mess. 60 mil committed to 14 players next year. I don't see a way to make a trade with them work.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
Gabby would do really well next to the Sedins, but their cap situation is a mess. 60 mil committed to 14 players next year. I don't see a way to make a trade with them work.

you would need a 3rd team, if gab goes, booth has to be traded away.. i dont want him anywhere near this team.. but they would be ok if its gabs+ for kessler 7.5 to 5m im sure they can figure something out to trade booth.. plus after this year corey or luongo will have to be traded that opens up even more 4-5m..

if we got kessler tho, it would def mean the end of Richards, bc thats to much money tied down to the center position...

Hags-Stepan-Nash
X(Kreider)-Kessler-Callahan

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
The hardest thing about moving Gabby is going to be his salary. So I guess if you're playing guessing games think of a team with money or money to move plus they have to be on his list.

The Rangers seek a “a right-handed, top-four blueliner and would also like to add a couple of bottom-six, grinding type forwards."
With all this info we can break it down but I doubt Gabby gets moved.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
VAN has Booth,Garrison and Ballard on their cap. $13M for next season. Booth and Ballard have two more seasons remaining. Garrison has 5 more years. You thought the Rangers have issues. :)

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
VAN has Booth,Garrison and Ballard on their cap. $13M for next season. Booth and Ballard have two more seasons remaining. Garrison has 5 more years. You thought the Rangers have issues. :)

atleast they have 2 buyouts. Rangers dont have problems, if they want to buy out Richards they can. Gaboirk is tradeable, 40 goal scorer last yr, if it wasnt a short yr we wouldnt be flipping out

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Coyle was a solid piece added to acquire a player the team really liked. Setoguchi really made that deal. Rundblad was dealt on draft day for another prospect. Slightly different situations there.

I understand what you're saying, but I just don't think Skjei holds as much value to another team as he does to us.

The Wild traded Leddy for Barker Right after drafting Leddy in 09.

Hopefully Slats can swing a similar deal. :sarcasm:

Drewbackatu*

Gaborik with the Sedins? We could name them the "Charmin Squeezably Soft" line!

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
If Detroit offered
Jurco + First (Top 10 protected) + one of
Quincey/White/Andersson/Emmerton/Abdelkader

I am torn between Andersson and Abdlekader with a slight edge to Andersson.

What do you guys think?

Kershaw

If Detroit offered
Jurco + First (Top 10 protected) + one of
Quincey/White/Andersson/Emmerton/Abdelkader

I am torn between Andersson and Abdlekader with a slight edge to Andersson.

What do you guys think?

Not a fan. Would prefer Jarnkrok, Tatar, Sproul, Smith or Nyqvist instead of Jurco.

Wow, the Wings are absolutely stacked at the prospect department. Like 2x as deep as the Rangers. They have to be top 5 or close to top 5.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
Not a fan. Would prefer Jarnkrok, Tatar, Sproul, Smith or Nyqvist instead of Jurco.

Wow, the Wings are absolutely stacked at the prospect department. Like 2x as deep as the Rangers. They have to be top 5 or close to top 5.

I wasn't sure about Sproul, I have never seen him play. His stats look good, scouting report looks good and he is their #11 prospect.
How about Jurco + first + Sproul then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad